Joe Douglas is Doing the RIGHT Thing...The Only Thing

13 minutes ago, Ohhthepain said:

One thing I'm hearing a lot of people say on twitter is that Gase has more control over personel decisions than we think... I thought, and remember hearing, that Douglas would only sign with us if he had full 100% roster control. Can anyone clarify?

No one can clarify. People just want to yell nonsense like “Gase is in charge”!

It makes zero sense. If JD didn’t have contractual control of player personnel decisions 

1) he wouldn’t have signed

2) it would have been reported 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Except every move I outlined above... but of course you choose to ignore the good stuff.

Look, I'm not saying he's a bad GM - don't know enough, but we also shouldn't think he's a good one.  He's proven nothing.  He's made some pretty bad mistakes with some wins too.

All I'm saying is let's just not get ahead of ourselves that we have the next great GM.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, I'm not saying he's a bad GM - don't know enough, but we also shouldn't think he's a good one.  He's proven nothing.  He's made some pretty bad mistakes with some wins too.

All I'm saying is let's just not get ahead of ourselves that we have the next great GM.

What choice do we have?  He's under contract for the next 6 years.  We have to hope he's good at his job or we're f**ked.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What choice do we have?  He's under contract for the next 6 years.  We have to hope he's good at his job or we're f**ked.  

Agreed.  We're absolutely stuck with him - but that doesn't mean he's any good.

As I said, he might be - I hope he is - but anyone claiming otherwise is simply wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Joe Douglas came in and said, "this is a complete mess and I did not cause or create this mess...now, as the new GM, I need to get this franchise out of this mess" and that is exactly what he is doing.

Complete fire sale.

Everyone is up for grabs at the right price.

He's doing the right thing and I agree with this move.

Well done, JD.

Like I said from day 1, Welcome to Philly North.

you got it.

dude is thinking, the only way I can get us out of this complete and utter mess is through the draft...slowly, surely and methodically and THIS is how you do it.

Leveon Bell is a LUXURY, not a necessity for a team in a major rebuild with a questionable at best QB...sorry.  Sam gonna want out soon, too.  Oh well.

part of the issue is the coach how do you get out of that mess?

Joe Douglas came in and said, "this is a complete mess and I did not cause or create this mess...now, as the new GM, I need to get this franchise out of this mess" and that is exactly what he is doing.

Complete fire sale.

Well done, JD.

Yeah, burn it to the ground with no hope of competing for another 3-4 years when Sam will be due for a new contract.  I can't tell you how exciting this is!?

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Yeah, burn it to the ground with no hope of competing for another 3-4 years when Sam will be due for a new contract.  I can't tell you how exciting this is!?

any better ideas?  Have you seen the ON FIELD product?  Are you sure Sam is THE guy?  Seems our GM and HC are not so sure today...

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not too late if we make the proper moves now.  We're 1-6.  The tank is still there if we want it.  

The Jets do a way better job of tanking when they don't try to.  This is the only argument for keeping Gase on as HC for the rest of the year.  8-)

52 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Gase didnt draft darnold.  Remember he inherited ryan tannehill and that never worked out.

Gase just might want to groom his own guy for once.  I wouldnt blame him.  But darnold wouldnt be moved till the offseason.  Its not happening now.

At this point I wouldn't trust Gase to groom a dog much less a young QB.

36 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

any better ideas?  Have you seen the ON FIELD product?  Are you sure Sam is THE guy?  Seems our GM and HC are not so sure today...

Then trade him too.  You do realize the current team is nothing like they envisioned coming into the season, right?  There still taken here when healthy, talent they can build around but instead we will start our second complete rebuild in the last 3 years.

Just now, Matt39 said:

We still building that statue or nah

At least he moved Leo.  But yeah, today was disappointing.  He should have taken a 3 for Robby and came down a little on what he wanted for Adams.

The worst part is that Chris Johnson is likely to blame for the Adams trade not happening.  If it had been just Douglas failing to get the trade compensation he wanted, I could live with that.  CJ's meddling is unacceptable, IF that's truly what happened today. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The worst part is that Chris Johnson is likely to blame for the Adams trade not happening.  If it had been just Douglas failing to get the trade compensation he wanted, I could live with that.  CJ's meddling is unacceptable, IF that's truly what happened today. 

likely?

If JD ends up sucking you are going to be as bad with him as Pac with Mac or T0m with Idzik

• Upvote 1

If JD ends up sucking we really have no hope regardless so who gives a f**k?  The next GM will be yet another Johnson & Johnson hire.  

Really not the point. You are inventing narratives in defense of your boy on what was unequivicolly a bad day for him

Like it or not, 2 of our better players were widely reported as on the block and both are still here. It's a lose/lose. 

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Really not the point. You are inventing narratives in defense of your boy on what was unequivicolly a bad day for him

Like it or not, 2 of our better players were widely reported as on the block and both are still here. It's a lose/lose. 

It was tweeted AND talked about on ESPN that a Jamal trade would need to go through Chris Johnson for approval.  What narrative am I inventing here?  And in what sense do you get from the Jets history that that narrative is false? 

This is the same ownership group that meddled its way to acquiring Tim Tebow and hasn't learned a single lesson from its past failures.  

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Complete fire sale.

Well done, JD.

So it’s 4.

He dealt Leo.....what else? 

It was tweeted AND talked about on ESPN that a Jamal trade would need to go through Chris Johnson for approval.  What narrative am I inventing here?  And in what sense do you get from the Jets history that that narrative is false?

Because you are taking what is in effect a rumor, a rumor which only states CJ wanted approval, and pinning the entire blame on CJ. What if JD wanted too much? What if JD should've started this process 2 weeks ago? You have no idea if this ever even made it to CJ and you are blaming him becuase you have weird manlove for JD

Just now, CTM said:

Because you are taking what is in effect a rumor, a rumor which only states CJ wanted approval, and pinning the entire blame on CJ. What if JD wanted too much? What if JD should've started this process 2 weeks ago? You have no idea if this ever even made it to CJ and you are blaming him becuase you have weird manlove for JD

Why are you assuming he didn't start it two weeks ago?

• Upvote 1

Just now, CTM said:

It's not manlove for JD.  It's a recognition that its pretty much Douglas or bust.  We're never going to hire a strong GM on the backs of a Johnson & Johnson GM search.  Have to assume he's going to draft well and thus we should be acquiring as many picks as possible.

Just saw a new tweet saying Dallas offered just one first rounder.   If true, it makes a lot more sense that we turned that down.  Hopefully we'll be able to move Adams for more than that this offseason.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not manlove for JD.  It's a recognition that its pretty much Douglas or bust.  We're never going to hire a strong GM on the backs of a Johnson & Johnson GM search.  Have to assume he's going to draft well and thus we should be acquiring as many picks as possible.

Just saw a new tweet saying Dallas offered just one first rounder.   If true, it makes a lot more sense that we turned that down.  Hopefully we'll be able to move Adams for more than that this offseason.  

So CJ hired Gase, who has been a dumpster fire since getting Mac canned, and then hired JD based on Gase (dumpster fire) recommendation. And now it's JD or bust, because the same process that found JD could never be successful, even though JD can be successful?

That's some interesting pretzel logic you have there.

Just now, CTM said:

So CJ hired Gase, who has been a dumpster fire since getting Mac canned, and then hired JD based on Gase (dumpster fire) recommendation. And now it's JD or bust, because the same process that found JD could never be successful, even though JD can be successful?

That's some interesting pretzel logic you have there.

It wasn't a direct hire by the Johnson's, and Douglas has a stronger pedigree/background than any GM we've brought in.  Good enough for me.

Like I said, disappointed we didn't make any other moves today but I'm also going to put the majority of blame on our inept ownership.  Just like they deserve for just about everything that has gone wrong for this franchise.  

It wasn't a direct hire by the Johnson's, and Douglas has a stronger pedigree/background than any GM we've brought in.  Good enough for me.

Like I said, disappointed we didn't make any other moves today but I'm also going to put the majority of blame on our inept ownership.  Just like they deserve for just about everything that has gone wrong for this franchise.  

We dont really know anything about Douglas other than he worked for the Eagles and Ravens. If you googled him 6 months ago he came up listed as a British playwright. The same humps on twitter who called Maccagan a savvy hire swear by Joe Douglas.

Direct hire by the Johnsons?  Was MAc? I thought he took Wolf and Casserly's recomendation, just like he did Gase's here.

I know nothing of his pedigree other than he's worked for some successful teams, which means little as we've seen the long strong of Belichick disciples who've washed out