time for a little run

batman10023

obviously i would have preferred to win down in Miami.

But now that we have another win, i am hoping for another 4 wins in a row.  

it will obviously impact our ability to be high in the draft next year but i think it's important for this team to get more than 5 wins to build for next year.

are others thinking the same thing or do folks want to "tank".

i think the only way Gase is getting fired is if we will less than 4 games and Sam looks terrible.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Not everyone will agree but I would rather have Darnold finish strong and have a 6-10 or 7-9 record than lose out and get the number one pick.  I need to see progress and confirmation that we have our guy at QB.  Don't need a top five pick to get a stud olineman.

This! Screw a high draft pick that we will prob screw up anyway. I want to see this team win and sam play well. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I agree with all above me thus far.  You tank for a QB.  We got ours, now get the pieces around him.  If we get the #2 pick next year, will they take an offensive lineman?  nah, that's not enough for a #2 pick, let's take another d-lineman!!  when the Jets start getting it right in the draft, I think we can start the tanking talk again.  But yes, much more important for Sam to get back on track.  that Pats game killed him, and it took him a while to recover; hopefully this game will be something to build on.

TANK! The Jets are unintentionally tanking. A poor roster, loads of injuries, and a questionable head coach all lead to that, so they don't even need to try to lose. It should come naturally. 

Bad team vs. bad team games are like coin flips. Lose to the Dolphins (road), beat the Giants (home). That's likely to be what happens the rest of the way out. I could see the Jets going 3-4 the rest of the way, to finish with 5 wins.  I'd rather only win 3 and get a chance to draft a stud LT like Andrew Thomas.

• WTF? 1

Win every single game! You tank for QBs... if we win only another game or two this year, it likely means that Sam is playing bad and the bust flags go up. If he plays well, we will win some games.

Having your franchise QB and drafting in the top 5-10 don't usually go hand in hand unless your QB got injured.

• Upvote 1

The #1 pick was never going to happen. The Bengals will be picking first, period.

But I don’t think we’ll be picking Top 5 when all is said and done either.

The only game left on the schedule that looks unwinnable is against Baltimore.

Now I don’t expect us to go on a 6-1 run to close things out, but I think we’re virtually guaranteed to finish at least 4-12 or 5-11.

I’d love to wind up with someone like Andrew Thomas, but I can’t see him making it past Washington honestly.

If we want to take an OL in the 1st round, it’s probably going to be someone like Tristan Wirfs or Alex Leatherwood.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Not everyone will agree but I would rather have Darnold finish strong and have a 6-10 or 7-9 record than lose out and get the number one pick.  I need to see progress and confirmation that we have our guy at QB.  Don't need a top five pick to get a stud olineman.

Agree with you.   Everyone posts that the most important goal is to develop Darnold but we want him to lose because that will help his development?  

The idea when we were Almost winless playing the pats 2xs, the Eagles, the Hard part of the schedule with the easy part coming that we get the number one was comical

37 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

i also want darnold to look great in the last 7 games of the year.  

also think that if we go 7-9 this year - as much as folks would hate it - Adam Gase would need to be in the conversation for Coach of the year given the number of injuries to the Jets this year.  

37 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I agree with all above me thus far.  You tank for a QB.  

You can also tank for a high pick so you can trade down to a QB-needy team for three first rounders.  I like that option.

My ideal scenario is Darnold playing great but we lose a lot of shootouts.    

45 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Agree. The most important thing is that Darnold simply plays well and restores confidence but frankly, winning games is a learned trait too. You want the young players on this team to have experience closing out games and finding ways to win close ones.

Just sucking and losing is hard to build on.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You can also tank for a high pick so you can trade down to a QB-needy team for three first rounders.  I like that option.

yes but remember what happened this past year?  nobody wanted to trade with us, supposedly.  Now I know we have Douglas now, so I guess we should have a little faith, but NOTHING more important than Sam getting on track.  Not only playing well, but WINNING as well.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah because QBs and players don’t need to learn how to win.  Because we just know if we get a higher pick we can simply trade it away.  

Darnold needs to play well an learn how to win.   I dont want to lose to the Skins, Fins, Bengals etc.  No coach, owner, player would prefer they did. It’s not how you develop winners and players

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Absolute no brainer

• Sympathy 1

Win, and develop Darnold.  Nothing else is more important for the Jets.

This team has had a losing culture for almost a full decade.  It needs to change.  The players need to learn how to win games.  They need to learn how to finish close games and close out decisive games.

Higher picks have done nothing for this team.  There are quality players to be found all over the draft.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

That's a good point, would prefer to build around him than start over.

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Agree. The most important thing is that Darnold simply plays well and restores confidence but frankly, winning games is a learned trait too. You want the young players on this team to have experience closing out games and finding ways to win close ones.

Just sucking and losing is hard to build on.

Agree 100%

7 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

yes but remember what happened this past year?  nobody wanted to trade with us, supposedly.  

Because nobody wanted to move up for Quinnen Williams.  There were no QB's people wanted.  If we had the # 1 pick, you can be sure we would have been fielding calls from the Cardinals to get Kyler Murray.  

This year's upcoming QB class appears to have several guys worth taking early in the 1st.  I'd like to be in a position to trade to a QB-needy team with a top QB still on the board.  Just once, I'd like to be that team multiple teams are calling to acquire our pick.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

lolwut

obviously he's not going to win it.  but with the number of injuries, new system it would be remarkable. 

how many starters (projected from start of camp) have missed some action?  

what percentage of our cap is this?  has to be top in the league by a wide amount.  about 50% of our cap has been impacted and missed some time.  this is unheard of in modern day football.

4 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Higher picks have done nothing for this team.  

Because we haven't picked good players with those picks.  And we also haven't picked high enough in certain instances. 

In 2015, we could have had Amari Cooper instead of Leonard Williams if we'd lost just one more game.  In 2018, we wouldn't have had to cough up three 2nd rounders to get Darnold had we lost 1-2 extra games.  And this past draft, we could have had Nick Bosa instead of Quinnen with 1 additional loss.  

But sure, the value in "learning to win" really worked out for us, didn't it.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because we haven't picked good players with those picks.  And we also haven't picked high enough in certain instances. 

In 2015, we could have had Amari Cooper instead of Leonard Williams if we'd lost just one more game.  In 2018, we wouldn't have had to cough up three 2nd rounders to get Darnold had we lost 1-2 extra games.  And this past draft, we could have had Nick Bosa instead of Quinnen with 1 additional loss.  

I don't know, man.  all everyone said in the 2015 draft was that Leo was the best player in the draft.  I seriously doubt we would have taken Cooper!  I mean you are giving our previous GM a lot of credit here!!

1 minute ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I don't know, man.  all everyone said in the 2015 draft was that Leo was the best player in the draft.  I seriously doubt we would have taken Cooper!  I mean you are giving our previous GM a lot of credit here!!

So because Macc sucked at his job, tanking for a higher pick is bad?  Joe Douglas is the GM now.  I'd prefer to assume he's good at his job and give him as many picks as possible, with the highest pick slot possible, in an otherwise lost season.  

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This team hasn't "learned to win" in any way, shape, or form.  That's what needs to change.

Draft position is not the issue.  Picking good players in high impact positions is the issue.  I'd rather see the Jets go on a run, end the season 7-9, Darnold develop and gain confidence, and pick a quality OL #12 than the next "best player in the draft" DT at #4.

It doesn't matter where you draft.  It matters who you pick.  Teams like the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Packers are constantly picking at the bottom of the draft yet they continue to stockpile good talent year after year.

• Upvote 1