The New York Jets and their absolutely horrific record of drafting WRs!

Jets spent a lot of the last decade+ relying on veteran WRs. They did okay with Holmes, Edwards, Marshall, Decker, etc., and avoided the position in the draft. Maybe guys like Devon Smith and Stephen Hill scared the entire organization away from WRs. You can't have any success drafting the position if you're afraid to try. 

I'd be pretty psyched if the Jets grabbed one of Juedy or Lamb with their first pick. This team is way overdue for some high-end homegrown talent at WR. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

How many did we take in the first round? I really only want us to draft offensive linemen this year but if we are trying to make fair and honest posts of course we are whiffing on positions we don't buy into until late in the draft. Hill and d. Smith were the only two second rounders I can think of.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

A blind monkey throwing darts at a list of college players would have a better chance of drafting a good WR than the NY Jets.  I understand your point that the Jets haven't used 1st round picks on WRs, but if we only hold the Jets accountable for getting their 1st pick correct then we'd have only 10 starting players drafted each decade!  By pure luck the Jets should have been able to find five or six starters by drafting 11 WRs over those years.  As you said, that included picks in Round 2 as well as several in Rounds 3 and 4.  In looking at that 2014 Draft, the NFL is still littered with WRs taken outside of Round 1 that year.

Good review with supporting evidence OP.  Something I think most of us know, but it's always good to see it in cold facts.

1. We suck at drafting WR's.

2. Our two "successful" picks are no ones idea of real success.  

3. It's clear from our draft history the past decade+ that we have over-prioritized defense and criminally abused our offense in an NFL Era dominated by Offense.

As @slats correctly mentions, the Jets have backfilled this lack of investment with tosssaway veterans and short-timers, few of whom were truly much good, or for very long.

We can only hope 2020 is the start of change, that O-line (Equally ignored, poorly picked, etc). and the O skill positions get the priority the deserve to fit this era of NFL football.

I am deeply tired of being a bottom of the ranks (or worst in the league, as in 2019) offensive team.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

The immortal Brandon Cooks.  Our history would be drastically different with him.  A how could we not draft him player.  

Pryor didnt work out to say the least but Cooks is no big deal.  And that draft wasn't a historic draft for WRs

I was screaming to draft Cooks. It's like I'm the Kreskin of draftniks 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm sorry, Nut, but this post doesn't make sense to me.  It was the best WR draft in a generation.  Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, OBJ, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Marquis Lee, Davante Adams, Paul Richardson, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, etc. is a pretty large group of contributing starters and outright stars to come from one Draft class.

And we absolutely took a Safety in Calvin Pryor in 2014.  I think you need to go back and look at that Draft....both what the Jets did as well as all the WRs taken.

I was talking about who we passed up In the first after Pryor.  Cook went after Pryor.  Not talking about the entire draft.  I get we could/should have used assets on WRs when we needed them.  That was the issue. Not Pryor

i hear you

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Lot of talent taken before and after our safety.

2014.JPG

Amazing that pretty much all those players turned out to be either excellent or good longer term starters.....except for the players taken by the Jets and Browns.

So actually....it really isn't that amazing.  It's what was expected.

If the Jets took Clinton-Dix there who knows how the following years go.  Do the Jets ever draft Jamal Adams?  Do they take Adams but not Maye, and instead take Dalvin Cook in Round 2 like many of us wanted.  If they had taken Cook is there ever a need to sign Le'Veon Bell?

When people think that a bust of a Draft pick can just be swept under the carpet and, "Well, we'll do better next year!"...you have to think of the ripple effects that pick has like I stated above.  There's a scenario where Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, and Dalvin Cook are Jets rather than Pryor and Marcus Maye, with no need to ever sign Le'Veon Bell.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

It's an absolute crime that the people in charge of this organization have failed loyal Jet fans for years. 

Pro football is entertainment. Obviously all of us here love the game, love the Jets but the ignoring offense #1 obtaining a young good QB (even Darnold cost because they kept making mistakes like Hackenberg & ignored players like Wilson, Watson & Mahomes who were right in our sights. 

Then, they secure a QB & totally ignore the Oline & WRs. This league is literred with free agent safeties (Rex got by with Jim Leonard), but the Jets have used 2 firsts & a high 2nd on three safeties, Pryor, Adams & Maye. 

In the last draft it was completely obvious we needed a pass rusher, Josh Allen was staring us in the face & we took a DT again in QW. 

The New York Jets have had one of the worst offenses I have seen the last 10 years. BORING uninspired offensive football for 10 years. Honestly, I give all of you STHs huge kudos for battling traffic, parking ect. to watch a team with an Offensive line that's so poor our RBs barely average 2 yards, our #1 WR is a skinny #2 who can't win a 50/50 ball, and our suspended TE never even made it to the field this year so we ended up with a TE that the Texans didn't even want & just let walk away. 

When you switch from a Jet game to Redzone it's like a completely different game is being played. You see WRs & TEs bailing out their QB all of the time with circus catches, or catching 7 yarders & turning them into 25 yard gains. 

While fantasy football is much different than the real game, just the fact that Jet players last until the last rounds are an indictment of the Jets Brass. All of us can only hope & pray that Joe Douglas can reverse this ugly trend & put together a football team with an offense that excites the fan base & makes going to a Jet games or tuning in on TV fun again. 

There is no doubt in my mind that the NY Jets offense over the last 10 years leads the league in 3 & outs. Just depressing. 

yep, although imo qwill will be a lot better next season.  but the point is well taken.  the jet front office doesn't even seem to have any rhyme or reason when it comes to the positions they draft.  mac was fixated on the dline when the qb pressure results just weren't there.  who knows where tanny and idzik were trying to go.  and for the longest time the jets have had a really hard time putting up points.

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

WR is probably the one position the Jets had a proud history in. Maynard/Sauer, Toon/Walker, Keyshawn/Chrebet, Coles/Cotch...etc. I dunno, despite all their problems over the decades they regularly managed to get guys that were both exciting and likeable. The past several FO's really let that go to crap. Turns out when you don't invest valuable assets in skill positions it eventually comes back to haunt you. Go figure.

Jets also seemed to draft low 1s to high 2nd WRs well. Rob Moore, Terrance Mathis; they were traded and became high performers throughout the 90’s. JoJo Townsell was also a capable WR.

A blind monkey throwing darts at a list of college players would have a better chance of drafting a good WR than the NY Jets.  I understand your point that the Jets haven't used 1st round picks on WRs, but if we only hold the Jets accountable for getting their 1st pick correct then we'd have only 10 starting players drafted each decade!  By pure luck the Jets should have been able to find five or six starters by drafting 11 WRs over those years.  As you said, that included picks in Round 2 as well as several in Rounds 3 and 4.  In looking at that 2014 Draft, the NFL is still littered with WRs taken outside of Round 1 that year.
10 starting players each decade out of the draft would be an improvement from what we have seen the passed few years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, Gibby said:

In my lifetime.

walker

Toon

Rob Moore

”Me”Shawn Johnson

Coles

Moss

Thats about it.

few decent non drafted. Chrebet, Robby. Then tons of garbage.

Cotchery.  But yeah, that's about it.  Maybe Terrance Mathis who had a few moments.  Okay, I'm out.

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The immortal Brandon Cooks.  Our history would be drastically different with him.  A how could we not draft him player.  

Pryor didnt work out to say the least but Cooks is no big deal.  And that draft wasn't a historic draft for WRs

Cooks had over 1000 yards 4 years in a row until injury issues this year.  He'd be the best WR the Jets have had since 2015.

17 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

In the time since Sideline Santana, the Jets invested 8 first round picks on DL, 3, CB, 2 QB, 2 ILB, 2 SS, 2 CB, 2, OL, 1 TE, can't make this up...

and Enunwa does not belong with Kerley or Cotchery (both were much better) Enunwa played 16 games only once in 5 years (only 41 games of 80 possible, 1617 yards, 5 TD's total) fine for a low round pick but not even mildly successful, guess a D- looks good next to F's

3 GM's in this time and they finally fired Mac last year, now the entire scouting team needs to be fired, even the lunch lady

In an increasingly offensive-driven league, the Jets have spent 17 of their 22 most premium assets on defense. And the last two times they did spend those assets on QBs, they followed that up by using a grand total of zero first round picks on offensive players to support them. Utterly insane. Hopefully the course correction begins in April.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, adb280z said:

Cooks had over 1000 yards 4 years in a row until injury issues this year.  He'd be the best WR the Jets have had since 2015.

Yes he has.  I know that.  But hes played on great offenses, pass first offenses.  He good, I'm not saying he isn't.  But passing on him, the only other WR taken in the first, after we picked isn't the problem, its all the WRs who went in the rounds after the 1st that we whiffed on

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes he has.  I know that.  But hes played on great offenses, pass first offenses.  He good, I'm not saying he isn't.  But passing on him, the only other WR taken in the first, after we picked isn't the problem, its all the WRs who went in the rounds after the 1st that we whiffed on

It actually is the problem.  Because when you continually neglect a position in the draft for so long, and when you don’t invest premium draft capital on a position, it lessens your percentages of getting it right with lower drafted prospects.  It was a major problem that Calvin Pryor was selected over some of the other players that people around here have been mentioning.  This franchise, over the last decade plus has THE worst history of drafting WRs.  From the lack of selections, to the absolute poor evaluations, the Jets have been abysmal at acquiring WR talent.  

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It actually is the problem.  Because when you continually neglect a position in the draft for so long, and when you don’t invest premium draft capital on a position, it lessens your percentages of getting it right with lower drafted prospects.  It was a major problem that Calvin Pryor was selected over some of the other players that people around here have been mentioning.  This franchise, over the last decade plus has THE worst history of drafting WRs.  From the lack of selections, to the absolute poor evaluations, the Jets have been abysmal at acquiring WR talent.  

Cant agree because it was one player.  You can do this with any draft.  Theres always a player who was picked after you picked that you should have taken.  I get what your saying, we needed a WR because the position was ignored.  But I'm guessing we also had a need for a DB. Should we have taken a WR, hell yeah, I wanted one too.  Still to me it wasn't that we didnt take that one WR, its we ignored the position for too many rounds in that draft and then when Idzik did go in on WR he left you shaking your head with who he took and how late he addressed a position of desperate need

As for players mentioned here or anywhere else for that matter, I don't get hung up on that.  Lets face between now and the draft every single player who is worthy of the 11th selection will be talkied about by someone.  Then there will be those players who some want at 11 but are predicted to go before 11.  And of course the long shots at 11.  So by the time we pick whoever becomes the breakout start taken after 11 will get the, "many here wanted him" treatment.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:38 AM, slats said:

Jets spent a lot of the last decade+ relying on veteran WRs. They did okay with Holmes, Edwards, Marshall, Decker, etc., and avoided the position in the draft. Maybe guys like Devon Smith and Stephen Hill scared the entire organization away from WRs. You can't have any success drafting the position if you're afraid to try. 

I'd be pretty psyched if the Jets grabbed one of Juedy or Lamb with their first pick. This team is way overdue for some high-end homegrown talent at WR. 

Really good WRs rarely hit the open market

Decker was about as good as it gets for a UFA

We have to go receiver heavy in this draft 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:53 AM, jetstream23 said:

Most of us wanted Cooks that year.  And, many of us wanted Dalvin Cook instead of going with a second Safety in 2017.

Imagine that, an offense featuring Cook and Cooks.

Cooks was such a friggin no brainer

FU Idzik