No lead is too big to overcome when you’re facing a Kyle Shanahan offense.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

This.  If Jimmy G. hits a wide open Sanders to win the game, is he a genius again? 

Wouldn't have mattered.

Reid whispers to Mahomes last night "Patrick, we need you to put in 5 minutes of hard work.  Just 5 minutes"

image.png

If the 49ers were up by 17, Reid might have had to talk to Mahomes a few minutes earlier.  "Pat, we need a few TDs to ice the game.  Think you can hook us up?"

image.png

Seriously...I don't know why he's been so ineffective early in the playoff games, but it doesn't matter when you can score an average of 1 TD every 2-3 minutes in stretches.  

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Wouldn't have mattered.

Reid whispers to Mahomes last night "Patrick, we need you to put in 5 minutes of hard work.  Just 5 minutes"

image.png

If the 49ers were up by 17, Reid might have had to talk to Mahomes a few minutes earlier.  "Pat, we need a few TDs to ice the game.  Think you can hook us up?"

image.png

Seriously...I don't know why he's been so ineffective early in the playoff games, but it doesn't matter when you can score an average of 1 TD every 2-3 minutes in stretches.  

lol - crazy impressive but it might have mattered.  Mahomes was terrible last night and Damien Williams was the MVP for the Chiefs.  Do I trust Pat to lead the team to at least a game tying FG?  yes.  A TD?  IDK if there was enough time for Williams to bail him out for that but possibly.  

My point was more so that 1 play can change perceptions pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I thought both QB's were rattled by the moment and Shanahan was rattled by the moment.  Reid to his credit stayed aggressive with the play calling and Mahomes finally made a few plays.  

Agree. 

Mahomes in particular looked very nervous to me throughout most of the game. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol - crazy impressive but it might have mattered.  Mahomes was terrible last night and Damien Williams was the MVP for the Chiefs.  Do I trust Pat to lead the team to at least a game tying FG?  yes.  A TD?  IDK if there was enough time for Williams to bail him out for that but possibly.  

My point was more so that 1 play can change perceptions pretty quickly.

Mahomes was bad for most of the night but the deep throw to Hill on 3rd and 15 changed the game. 

That was the play that got the ball rolling. 

Shanahan's big problem is not seeing the big picture of how to win the game once he has the lead in the second half, and the big picture in both the Falcon and Niner losses are his inability to understand the he needed to score.  Heck, while burning the clock was important in the second half of the Falcon Pat SB, it took a backseat to scoring at least one field goal -- a simple 3 points -- which would have essentially put the game away and allowed the Falcons to forget about scoring again and just burn clock in what would have turned out to be an easy victory over the Pats. Then, he fails to recognize the importance of scoring in the 4th quarter when holding only a 10 point lead against Mahomes/Kelce/Hill/Watkins/Williams. It put way too much pressure on the Niner D. If you want to win a SB, you have to be willing to take risks. and the Niner game plan was the 100% risk free.

I give the Niner D lots of credit for keeping it close. In my mind the bottom line for the game was that other than #19, the Niners have no one on O that is any concern to a D. They need a #1 WR and a 3 down RB.  Frankly, the Niners are a testament to how a great O line can carry mediocre players. Garrapolo is better than average, but will never be top ten in anything QB related other than ball handling/fakes. He can not carry a team like a true franchise QB.    

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Mahomes was bad for most of the night but the deep throw to Hill on 3rd and 15 changed the game. 

That was the play that got the ball rolling. 

Sure but there was massive hold that wasnt called and he still under threw a wide open Hill.  Mahomes has a ton of impressive eye popping plays and while that one was crucial, it was pretty routine and should have never happened. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure but there was massive hold that wasnt called and he still under threw a wide open Hill.  Mahomes has a ton of impressive eye popping plays and while that one was crucial, it was pretty routine and should have never happened. 

Massive holds are missed on almost every play. It's football. 

They purposefully weren't calling anything all night. There were times when both QBs got hit in the helmet with no call. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

They purposefully weren't calling anything all night. There were times when both QBs got hit in the helmet with no call. 

it's as if the nfl didn't want the rest of the world to see how over-officiated the sport really is.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Everything after you telling me I can't predict the future is a prediction.

If Sam Darnold had a guy like Henry & that Oline in Tennessee ripping off 200 yards I'm thinking Sam Darnold would look pretty damn good. 

Just stop. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Seahawks were less than a yard away from stealing the division and homefield away from SF.  Think they're in the SB as the 5-seed?

No, but they were the best team in the NFC all year and the second best team in the regular season behind Baltimore, IMO. 

They beat NO on the road and almost beat Baltimore on the road during the middle of their 12 game winning streak

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If Sam Darnold had a guy like Henry & that Oline in Tennessee ripping off 200 yards I'm thinking Sam Darnold would look pretty damn good. 

Just stop. 

I predict that none of these things will happen in 2020 and that you will have another "what-if" wishlist to convince yourself that Darnold is elite next off season.

alex shaffer GIF

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Shanahan's big problem is not seeing the big picture of how to win the game once he has the lead in the second half, and the big picture in both the Falcon and Niner losses are his inability to understand the he needed to score.  Heck, while burning the clock was important in the second half of the Falcon Pat SB, it took a backseat to scoring at least one field goal -- a simple 3 points -- which would have essentially put the game away and allowed the Falcons to forget about scoring again and just burn clock in what would have turned out to be an easy victory over the Pats. Then, he fails to recognize the importance of scoring in the 4th quarter when holding only a 10 point lead against Mahomes/Kelce/Hill/Watkins/Williams. It put way too much pressure on the Niner D. If you want to win a SB, you have to be willing to take risks. and the Niner game plan was the 100% risk free.

I give the Niner D lots of credit for keeping it close. In my mind the bottom line for the game was that other than #19, the Niners have no one on O that is any concern to a D. They need a #1 WR and a 3 down RB.  Frankly, the Niners are a testament to how a great O line can carry mediocre players. Garrapolo is better than average, but will never be top ten in anything QB related other than ball handling/fakes. He can not carry a team like a true franchise QB.    

As good as any defense is,  an offense like the Chiefs is gong to score points. You cannot expect your defense is going to shut them down all night. If the Niners scored in that series before half, it's a totally different game.And even had Garapolo thrown a deep INT, so what. NO concept of risk/reward there. There was no downside at all to trying to score there; NONE. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, so 1 single play (where the ball was under thrown) makes it a good night?  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The NFL has to stop micro officiating every game in the regular season & then ignoring 99% of penalties in the playoffs & Super Bowl, its complete horsesh*t! It's hard to watch a regular season game anymore, there's a holding call on opening kickoffs for god sake. 

Then last night there were obvious hold signs all over the place, Olineman holding from the side with armbars, both QBs were hit in the face, Garropolo twice, there was a ridiculous obvious delay of the game by the 49ers & that idiot rules expert they had in the booth tried to justify the non call because it wasn't shown in super slow motion? WTF? The clock was on zero for a full ONE ONE THOUSAND! Goodell has ruined the regular season. And teams like the Jets are treated like the Washington Generals. I mean there were 6 penalties called vs Dallas in our home stadium in a row, 5 on us! 

LET THEM PLAY! In the regular season, not just the playoffs & Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetster said:

The NFL has to stop micro officiating every game in the regular season & then ignoring 99% of penalties in the playoffs & Super Bowl, its complete horsesh*t! It's hard to watch a regular season game anymore, there's a holding call on opening kickoffs for god sake.  

I totally agree, but I'm not expecting things to change anytime soon

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ok, so 1 single play (where the ball was under thrown) makes it a good night?  

No, not a "good" night per se, but certainly a successful one. He did what he had to do. 

Lot's of SB winning QBs have done less than Mahomes did. Remember Big Ben's first SB win? He basically made zero plays and the refs practically handed Pitt the game. It happens. 

• Upvote 1

Although the officiating was flawed last night, it was consistent all game, and felt evenly called for both teams.  Honestly, I rarely thought twice about it and appreciated the restraint.  Hopefully the NFL feels the same and we get more of that next season.

• Upvote 1

I think Shanahan is a very good coach. I love his zone run scheme, and those pitches, sweeps, and end arounds. I can only hope that with a revamped OL, our offense can be predicated in the zone run game & play action passing. It would suit Sam beautifully.

But you can’t ignore that he has clearly choked away 2 championships with horrible play calling. Yes, both defenses let the other offense score. But his job as a play caller was to seal the game. We don’t have to revisit the ATL/NE, which has been talked about endlessly.

But, last night after Mahomes’ second INT, they had a chance to chew up clock, and Shanahan played right into KC’s hands by panicking, going away from what worked, and forcing the issue.

I really believe it was stubborn pride. He wanted to show everyone he was making up for last time. He was going to make sure they marched down the field there and ice the game with a TD, and make a statement. I like aggressiveness. But in a Super Bowl, in that spot, against that offense, you run the ball, especially when its been working. You chew up clock, pin them back, or kick a fg. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Yes. Mahomes underthrows Hill on that 3rd and 15 and starts the KC comeback. Jimmy G overthrows Sanders by two yards and its an incompletion

nope. threw it to the open part of the field, where he knew the defender was absent. something sam needsa learn .

A few key decisions turn just about every game, and Shanahan has proven to come up small in these decisions when it counts most.  With better coaching, the 49ers win this game.  

This was a roundabout way for me to segway into saying that we are doomed with Gase as our HC.  :-D

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I remember when Andy Reid was a good regular season coach that could never win the big one. 

It wasn't without merit. Few coaches get 20 opportunities to win their first superbowl, or survive a drought of 15 years before returning after 1 SB loss. From 2004-2017 Reid had coached his teams to 4 playoff wins in 12 games over 14 seasons. 

He was the offensive side of the Marty Schottenheimer coin. 

He seems like a good guy, so good for him that he finally got over the hump. All it took was having the best young QB in the history of planet earth, lol. With a normal probowl QB he and his Chiefs likely don't get past a 24-0 deficit against Houston. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, rldev said:

Shanahans play designs were good. There were plays to be made. Jimmy G didn't make them.

Once again, he's outscored 46-0 in the 4th Q/OT in Super Bowls as a playcaller.  That's absurd.  The blame lies on his shoulders.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, nycdan said:

Wouldn't have mattered.

image.png

image.png

Jets didn't score their 3rd offensive TD in 2019 until week 4 against the Cowboys...

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It wasn't without merit. Few coaches get 20 opportunities to win their first superbowl, or survive a drought of 15 years before returning after 1 SB loss. From 2004-2017 Reid had coached his teams to 4 playoff wins in 12 games over 14 seasons. 

He was the offensive side of the Marty Schottenheimer coin. 

He seems like a good guy, so good for him that he finally got over the hump. All it took was having the best young QB in the history of planet earth, lol. With a normal probowl QB he and his Chiefs likely don't get past a 24-0 deficit against Houston. 

Mahomes is not elite. QBs are interchangeable and fungible. It's all about him landing in the perfect situation with the perfect coach. He'd be a bum on the Jets and Geno Smith would be winning SBs on the Chiefs. ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Jets didn't score their 3rd offensive TD in 2019 until week 4 against the Cowboys...

Mahomes is not elite. QBs are interchangeable and fungible. It's all about him landing in the perfect situation with the perfect coach. He'd be a bum on the Jets and Geno Smith would be winning SBs on the Chiefs. ;) 

I could not disagree more.   Yes, Alex Smith was his best self in KC with Reid, but Mahomes has far exceeded that and has all the makings of an elite QB.  He does things that remind me of Marino at his very best.  If he figures out how to avoid the slow starts in the playoffs, there is no ceiling on his potential.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I could not disagree more.   Yes, Alex Smith was his best self in KC with Reid, but Mahomes has far exceeded that and has all the makings of an elite QB.  He does things that remind me of Marino at his very best.  If he figures out how to avoid the slow starts in the playoffs, there is no ceiling on his potential.

It was a sarcastic dig at the defeatist "well if we drafted Mahomes he wouldn't succeed here anyway" crew.