Are you feeling optimistic yet?

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I was going to post the exact same thing as the first half of your sentence, but the point you raise in the second half is an excellent one.

It's so good, I think it would make an excellent poll type thread. Why not start one?

Sure thing.  I've never been shy about starting polls around here. :P 

Do you think the question is as simple as, "Who is more important to the Jets future success?  Joe Douglas or Sam Darnold"

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Do you think the question is as simple as, "Who is more important to the Jets future success?  Joe Douglas or Sam Darnold"

Yes. Simple is good. Let people take it from there, right?

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Some guy who learned how to do his job under Ozzie Newsome and then Howie Roseman.

Vs.

Some guy who played quarterback at USC aka QBU.

53 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Amazing question and I struggle to answer which makes it a great question 

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

We need Sam to have 5 yrs of "practice games" before we can decide if he was worth all that draft capital...

tryna get over that LOW BAR!!
Fairy Floss GIF

I don't really know where you are going with that.   They asked if I am excited for this year. 

It's hard to know what kind of an offense you are going to run when you only really know who 3 starters are.   QB, slot receiver and running back, check.   Herndon, I hope, but he didn't actually play last year.  

The theory of winning while your QB is on a rookie contract only works if you have a team in place before drafting that rookie.  Sam looked better last year, we'll see if he takes another step forward this year, I certainly hope so.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The GM.

Name one organization that ever won consistently without a quality GM.   You have to have talent to really win year after year, and the GM brings in the talent.  The most important person in a sports organization is the man who brings in the players.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Has anything changed yet?

No FA moves.

No traded for more picks.

No draft.

No play or practice.

So no, I'm no more optimistic than I was when the season ended, because nothing has happened since the season ended yet.

Let's revisit after FA and the draft.  We may have cause then for optimism.

The sky didn't fall. So there's that.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

The GM.

Name one organization that ever won consistently without a quality GM.   You have to have talent to really win year after year, and the GM brings in the talent.  The most important person in a sports organization is the man who brings in the players.

The Patriots.

8 hours ago, British Jet said:

Amazingly Darnold is younger than Joe Burrow. I’m looking forward to seeing his progress this year. 

Three years in a row the #1 team goal is to figure out what we have in Darnold. Fun times.

• Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Have a look at the players that were added while JD was with the Eagles.  And keep in mind,  you can work under an effective man/woman and observe them, but that is far from any guarantee.  Have a look at how Bill Belichick's assistants work out when they sail away on their own...

I understand you want to feel positive, but be mindful of who owns the Jets.  

Johnson didn't have a job until he was 40 years old, and even then, he didn't have a superior to report to nor did he ever have to be accountable to anyone.   We are talking about a person with very little life experiences outside of his little bubble of privilege and inheritance...

For Johnson, having an NFL team is not about building a winner.  It is a conduit for him to cultivate a public identity.  He likes to mix and mingle with other people that he thinks adds to his grandeur.  Owning the Jets gives him that.  

Look at the Jets management structure.  Look at the GM's that they hired.  Look at their current HC.  For f**k sake, give your brain a chance...

Yeah, those lousy players that the Eagles added, the ones that led to that SB win.  That was one hell of a lousy job

Ah, the tired and old, Johnson didnt have a job until.... 

Which has absolutely nothing to do with how JD will do in his job.  Or the offseason.

It was a post about being optimistic over a new FO and youre going to cry about the past GMs.  

• Upvote 2

wellllll ...

This is like a company that is struggling to hold on and needs a lot of equity and/or financing. Previous statements show significant losses but the projections come in with oodles of cash flow based on series of very wishful thinking covering numerous holes (IF IF IF IF IF IF)

A prudent lender or investor passes 

A "no" vote here

(just being practical)

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, those lousy players that the Eagles added, the ones that led to that SB win.  That was one hell of a lousy job

Ah, the tired and old, Johnson didnt have a job until.... 

Which has absolutely nothing to do with how JD will do in his job.  Or the offseason.

It was a post about being optimistic over a new FO and youre going to cry about the past GMs.  

I think the compelling question here is... Who is a fan and who is a fan-boy ???

If you don't think Johnson will get in JD's way, you have not been watching the same team I have for MANY years.  If JD was his "own man", Gase would already be gone... 

As of now, JD is not a proven GM.  He was at the top of the scouting department with the Ravens but he wast not making final decisions.  He was well thought of with the Eagles, but he was not the one making player decisions there either.  Add to that, I am not all that impressed with the Eagles past two off seasons.  It is debatable how much input JD had the past two years wit the Eagles, but show me where you think they did a such a good job on their roster the last two seasons... 

Just now, THE BARON said:

I think the compelling question here is... Who is a fan and who is a fan-boy ???

If you don't think Johnson will get in JD's way, you have not been watching the same team I have for MANY years.  If JD was his "own man", Gase would already be gone... 

As of now, JD is not a proven GM.  He was at the top of the scouting department with the Ravens but he wast not making final decisions.  He was well thought of with the Eagles, but he was not the one making player decisions there either.  Add to that, I am not all that impressed with the Eagles past two off seasons.  It is debatable how much input JD had the past two years wit the Eagles, but show me where you think they did a such a good job on their roster the last two seasons... 

No, I don't think Johnson will get in JDs way.  I don't see any examples of Johnson thinking hes a GM.  

CJ hasn't been here for many, many, years.  He hasn't given one indication that he thinks he can run a team and there isn't an example of a personnel move made by CJ over Macc.  

Love the backwards logic too.  You don't like Gase therefore if JD was his own man he would have dumped him.  Because you know what JD thinks of Gase.  You know he thinks like you do or should.

Eagles have been injured and their QB has taken a step back due to his injuries and team injuries.  Its not debatable what JD had to do with it, I never said he did, you brought they Eagles up.  Claimed they accomplished nothing or however you said it.  I have no idea what he contributed.  Neither do you, don't know why you brought it up.  The point is he worked under good people, Ozzie and Rossman and was a part of staffs that brought in talent and won. 

Fanboy.  LOL

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, I don't think Johnson will get in JDs way.  I don't see any examples of Johnson thinking hes a GM.  

CJ hasn't been here for many, many, years.  He hasn't given one indication that he thinks he can run a team and there isn't an example of a personnel move made by CJ over Macc.  

Love the backwards logic too.  You don't like Gase therefore if JD was his own man he would have dumped him.  Because you know what JD thinks of Gase.  You know he thinks like you do or should.

Eagles have been injured and their QB has taken a step back due to his injuries and team injuries.  Its not debatable what JD had to do with it, I never said he did, you brought they Eagles up.  Claimed they accomplished nothing or however you said it.  I have no idea what he contributed.  Neither do you, don't know why you brought it up.  The point is he worked under good people, Ozzie and Rossman and was a part of staffs that brought in talent and won. 

Fanboy.  LOL

And fanboys will still be waiting for things to get better at the end of next season... 

The Jets will not have any sustained success on the field until and if...

1. Johnson sells the team

and

2. The team is subsequently purchased by an individual with smarts...

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

And fanboys will still be waiting for things to get better at the end of next season... 

The Jets will not have any sustained success on the field until and if...

1. Johnson sells the team

and

2. The team is subsequently purchased by an individual with smarts...

Its fanboys who don't just get how the owner of the team is the one who will get it done.   

Ownership whining is lame unless youre talking misers like the Mets have been.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its fanboys who don't just get how the owner of the team is the one who will get it done.   

Ownership whining is lame unless youre talking misers like the Mets have been.

As if "JOHNSON" should not be right up there with DOLAN and WILPON.  

New York... World's greatest sports city with the worlds worst owners/operators.  

Just now, THE BARON said:

As if "JOHNSON" should not be right up there with DOLAN and WILPON.  

New York... World's greatest sports city with the worlds worst owners/operators.  

I'm not getting the point.  We're talking what they do to win.  Youre harping on the same tired old whine about the losses are Johnsons fault. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm not getting the point.  We're talking what they do to win.  Youre harping on the same tired old whine about the losses are Johnsons fault. 

You cant blame a single loss on an owner or even the occasional bad season, but you have to blame the owner if the team is constantly in the toilet.  Another clue for you would be the revolving door for GM's and HC's.  

There is no one else left to blame.  The only thing in common with all of the failed regimes is JOHNSON..

Don't feel so bad.  I am just as guilty as you are.  I KNOW what the problem is, but I'm still in here discussing details like offensive line manpower even though I understand the futility of it all...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

You cant blame a single loss on an owner or even the occasional bad season, but you have to blame the owner if the team is constantly in the toilet.  Another clue for you would be the revolving door for GM's and HC's.  

There is no one else left to blame.  The only thing in common with all of the failed regimes is JOHNSON..

Don't feel so bad.  I am just as guilty as you are.  I KNOW what the problem is, but I'm still in here discussing details like offensive line manpower even though I understand the futility of it all...

Look at Christopher Johnson's reign:

* Announces rebuild.  Macagnan and Bowles are left in as low-key patsies for turbulent times.

* Trades up with the Colts to draft a QB at #3.  Works brilliantly as the Jets get Sam Darnold.

* Darnold's first season shows great promise.  Rebuild is ahead of schedule  Realizes its time to get a real head coach and a real GM to guide the Jets to the playoffs.

* Hires Adam Gase.  Hires Gregg Williams.  Culture is changed.  No coaches are leaving, all want to stay.

* Fires Maccagnan at a perfect time so as to jump an extremely competitive market.  Jets get the top candidate in Joe Douglas instead of the worst as they traditionally settle for.

* Acquires Le'Veon Bell, Jameson Crowder, and CJ Mosley, spending the money other owners don't. 

* If not for injuries, would have made the playoffs.  Team finishes 6-2 and is poised for a tremendous 2020 at the very moment Tom Brady and the Patriots are taking steps back and the Bills weak quarterback is exposed.

Our owner/CEO has done a terrific job.  You should see this, Eeyore.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Look at Christopher Johnson's reign:

* Announces rebuild.  Macagnan and Bowles are left in as low-key patsies for turbulent times.

* Trades up with the Colts to draft a QB at #3.  Works brilliantly as the Jets get Sam Darnold.

* Darnold's first season shows great promise.  Rebuild is ahead of schedule  Realizes its time to get a real head coach and a real GM to guide the Jets to the playoffs.

* Hires Adam Gase.  Hires Gregg Williams.  Culture is changed.  No coaches are leaving, all want to stay.

* Fires Maccagnan at a perfect time so as to jump an extremely competitive market.  Jets get the top candidate in Joe Douglas instead of the worst as they traditionally settle for.

* Acquires Le'Veon Bell, Jameson Crowder, and CJ Mosley, spending the money other owners don't. 

* If not for injuries, would have made the playoffs.  Team finishes 6-2 and is poised for a tremendous 2020 at the very moment Tom Brady and the Patriots are taking steps back and the Bills weak quarterback is exposed.

Our owner/CEO has done a terrific job.  You should see this, Eeyore.

SAR I

Consider what moves you list up there were McCagnan's and had nothing to do with Johnson.  That would be Darnold for one.  It would also be Adams (not listed).  And try not to forget that Mac was fired because Gase didn't like the Ball deal.  Gase himself has been horrible. Not just for the Jets, but for the team that ran him out of town.

• Thumb Down 2

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Consider what moves you list up there were McCagnan's and had nothing to do with Johnson.  That would be Darnold for one.  It would also be Adams (not listed).  And try not to forget that Mac was fired because Gase didn't like the Ball deal.  Gase himself has been horrible. Not just for the Jets, but for the team that ran him out of town.

What a steaming pile of fake news.  No one knows if Maccagnan was fired because Gase didn’t like Bell.  Hell, from all accounts Bell and Gase get along swimmingly.  

And if you think Mike Maccagnan was allowed to trade up to #3 with the Colts to grab an unknown quarterback all by himself without any input from his CEO you are smoking something.  Same for the enormous contracts to big time high profile free agents.  Christopher Johnson made those aggressive moves happen.   

If you slam the Johnsons when they disappoint you then man up and recognize them when they do great work. Do it now.   

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Optimism. Hmmm ...

A lot rests on the draft - optimism for the long term will depend on whether I see the new FO and Joe D. actually seem to know what they are doing. A Super Bowl team won't be built in one draft: I just want to see something better than a "consensus" BAP first draft pick, and then disasters resulting from having no clue in almost every round thereafter. 

If I see reasonable choices in rounds two and lower, I will have some cause for optimism. 

In the short term: an item no one (I think) has mentioned here. Greg Williams, who I had LOTS of reservations about when he was hired, happened to do a pretty damn good job with a defensive roster devoid of good corners and a pure pass rusher - which was further depleted of important players by injury. His defensive schemes and the positive attacking attitude of the defensive squad kept the team in games despite the putrid offense that constantly stranded them in abominable field position, time after time, and kept them on the field far longer than reasonable.

So if JD can land him a decent pass rusher and a serviceable corner or two, and the injury bug doesn't bite so deeply,  I foresee a top ten defense that will certainly boost my optimism. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

What a steaming pile of fake news.  No one knows if Maccagnan was fired because Gase didn’t like Bell.  Hell, from all accounts Bell and Gase get along swimmingly.  

And if you think Mike Maccagnan was allowed to trade up to #3 with the Colts to grab an unknown quarterback all by himself without any input from his CEO you are smoking something.  Same for the enormous contracts to big time high profile free agents.  Christopher Johnson made those aggressive moves happen.   

If you slam the Johnsons when they disappoint you then man up and recognize them when they do great work. Do it now.   

SAR I

I don't know if you are up on current events, but the Jets have been getting their ass kicked.  We're f**ked.   We're doomed... 

hudsonjpg-c9561a_1280w.jpg

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I don't know if you are up on current events, but the Jets have been getting their ass kicked.  We're f**ked.   We're doomed... 

Sorry Eeyore.  Your SOJF shtick isn’t going to work.  We all saw 6-2.  We all saw Darnold.  Sell your sorrow elsewhere.  

SAR I

On 3/1/2020 at 9:13 PM, Samtorobby47 said:

It’s still early my friend. Plenty of time for things to go wrong! Plenty of time for Manish to whip up some ridiculous article that everyone runs with. 

But I am feeling good. Mostly because I get a sense Douglas wants to build this the right way. It’s gonna be a tough free agency since this isn’t an attractive team to free agents. But as long as they keep chipping away, we’ll get there eventually!

Is Manish still writing on the Jets?  I heard rumblings that he may be moving on?

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sorry Eeyore.  Your SOJF shtick isn’t going to work.  We all saw 6-2.  We all saw Darnold.  Sell your sorrow elsewhere.  

SAR I

Either you are employed within the Jets organization or you are so desperate for the Jets to be a good team, your mind is manufacturing its own reality...

Which one is it ???