Joe Douglas first free agency thus far...

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m really disappointed. I thought for sure that Douglas would have signed a few veteran corners and two guards, even if he had to overpay for them. That would have really given me confidence in his ability to build a team.

You know, like Mike Maccagnan did in his first free agency period: https://www.nj.com/jets/2015/03/jets_offseason_move_tracker_signings_re-signings_t.html 

Tom we needed talent. It’s okay to go out and get guys if you absolutely need them to give us a punchers chance.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Tom we needed talent. It’s okay to go out and get guys if you absolutely need them to give us a punchers chance.

I think he’ll get guys. I don’t think he’ll get fleeced for guys who aren’t significantly better than the guys he can get at less expense. The roster sucks. I don’t know if you fix that by throwing gobs of cash at a right tackle and a middling center, particularly when this draft class is loaded with those positions, supposedly.

I'm just glad FA has begun. Now all you sad sacks who expected to get nice things for Christmas can  get your whining out.

I don't hate this move, I don't love it ... Low risk mid level of reward. It's 13.5 guaranteed not a big deal hopefully it works out. Isn't this what people wanted... Joe to find the O Lineman he sees the potential in (cause he played O-line or whatever) and sign him to deal that is not a burden.

But Jesus H .... The crying already.... This team is lesson in masochism... If you can't handle it go be a delusionally optimistic Bills fan.  Every year they are going to the SB in their mind, it may suit your delicate disposition better. When the rug is pulled out from under them they cry into their Labatts and start getting ready for next year's SB win (it still hasn't come).

If we end making Sam a human sacrifice learn to enjoy the flames and remember the smell.

If we ever manage to field a competitive try to enjoy it without b*tching the whole way.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think he’ll get guys. I don’t think he’ll get fleeced for guys who aren’t significantly better than the guys he can get at less expense. The roster sucks. I don’t know if you fix that by throwing gobs of cash at a right tackle and a middling center, particularly when this draft class is loaded with those positions, supposedly.

Lots of it is earmarked for Adams anyway, so I'm good with that.

9 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Is Fant better than Beachum? What is the plan here?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Fant was the guy they plugged in when needed. Now he's a starting. He might be ok in a zone blocking scheme since everything I read about him says he's  athletic.  Will wait and see but this isn't  what we hoped for.  

JD didn't spend all of the Jets available cap space on decent, yet overpriced players. It's day 2 of free agency and it's clear that he doesn't know what he's doing. He is worse than Macczilla. We should keep signing overpriced free agents with slick contracts that allow us to release them a year later. That's how you build a team. JD is doing something different and is expecting a different result. We were clearly better off doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Same old SOJF.

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

At this point, it isn’t to get a lot better next season. That became obvious today. 

Douglas and Gase seem intent on taking a long view here. Plug some holes on the roster with cheap lateral moves for now, draft players they like and go from there.

Who knows what they do with guys like Adams or Darnold? It’s hard to imagine they have faith in Sam to be their guy if they don’t make protecting him a priority.

We should know for sure after the draft. If they don’t go really heavy on the OL, Sam isn’t long for here, and this roster is being torn down for a complete rebuild.

Even I think this is being harsh. I had my doubts about JD as soon as he brought in that retired C and this certainly hasn't  changed my opinion on his FA moves as this guy is probably not much of an upgrade if he is any at all but to say they are not trying to give Sam a chance I think is way over blown. If he does something in the draft that doesn't  help Sam, I will be with you but I expect him to draft at least 2 OL, maybe 3. Let's see what happens. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Right, because Conklin and Glasgow don’t exist and Fant is definitely the way to go as it pertains to a safe/smart/solid option to protect Sam Darnold’s blindside. 

Right, because DeAndre Hopkins wasn’t had for less than what we could offer.

Right, because we let James Bradberry and Byron Jones’s agents hang up the phone with us and sign else where.

Right, because we’re currently interested in giving Clowney more money per year than we were willing to give any of the OL.

Right, because we haven’t signed back a single player of our own while we did nothing to add to the roster.

We did nothing yesterday. It better change. All that talking and nothing to show for it. Nothing. Fant isn’t even better than Beachum when healthy. Fant isn’t fundamentally good enough to just throw the job at him to protect the most important player on our team for an entire season. He hasn’t earned that reputation. He is a decent back up swing tackle. Nothing more. We’re paying a 27 year old raw OL for potential. Or are we saving face? Idk anymore.

Glad you said that. I think I got lime 20 BF's for making the comment during the season 

4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

In JD we HOPE. He has to prove himself. But to be disappointed this soon is completely ridiculous. Top tier free agents likely won’t come here and it’s like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. This team has already been ruined and there’s only 1 way to dig out of the hole. DRAFTING. That’s it. FA acquisitions should be value free agents where we are more likely to sign them rather than chasing the few top tier FAs that are never worth their inflated contracts and never come to the Jets anyways.

Everyone needs to relax. If JD proves to suck, then it is what it is at this point. Give him the offseason. We have many sh*theads before much longer and he came to pretty much the worst situation possible given our roster. 

All we read on this board is paying for positions of importance. We just paid a Dillar General price for possibly the most important position after Sam. It isn't  over as you stated but JD has done absolutely  nothing since getting here. 

Not happy

Looking more and more like top 4 OT’s will be off the board at 11 ... if he trades down & gets one of the next OT’s that will be step in right direction. The next 3 picks better also include at least 1 more OL & 1 WR ... if not I will need to join many of you on the commit either suicide or homicide watch lists

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

So because Macc's first Free Agency didn't work out well for the Jets, that's the excuse people are using for Joe Douglas not spending now? Macc also didn't have a franchise QB he desperately needed to help. 

I know, right? We should have used all of our cap space and put together a patchwork roster. Teams are built through panic signings and overpaying above average players. I cannot believe that it's already day 2 and we didn't fill out our entire roster. Our GM = GARBAGE MANAGEMENT. 

4 minutes ago, ChickenLittle said:

I know, right? We should have used all of our cap space and put together a patchwork roster. Teams are built through panic signings and overpaying above average players. I cannot believe that it's already day 2 and we didn't fill out our entire roster. Our GM = GARBAGE MANAGEMENT. 

No. We should just be signing the best offensive lineman available and protecting our QB like most teams try to do.

It's only day 2, and guess what? Players are signing. Tomorrow it's only going to be day 3, and the day after that it's only going to be day 4. What's your point?

I've been a big supporter of Joe Douglas and have defended him when plenty of other have called him Adam Gase's coffee boy. 

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

No. We should just be signing the best offensive lineman available and protecting our QB like most teams try to do.

I've been a big supporter of Joe Douglas and have defended him when plenty of other have called him Adam Gase's coffee boy. 

They signed an OL on Day 1. Just not the one you wanted. That's your problem.

Beggers cant be choosers

• Thumb Down 1

I just hope because Douglas missed out on the better free agents that we don't waste money on Anderson, Jenkins, and Winters.

Miami and Buffalo really helping themselves out in just one day.  Not sure why every other team can improve while we always move backwards.

Just now, mudcat22 said:

I just hope because Douglas missed out on the better free agents that we don't waste money on Anderson, Jenkins, and Winters.

Miami and Buffalo really helping themselves out in just one day.  Not sure why every other team can improve while we always move backwards.

Move backwards, They didn't really move at all. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

All we read on this board is paying for positions of importance. We just paid a Dillar General price for possibly the most important position after Sam. It isn't  over as you stated but JD has done absolutely  nothing since getting here. 

He hasn’t done much at all but hasn’t had time. This is the very beginning of his first offseason. We hired him for 6 years so I’d like to give a little longer than this to reserve judgement and many players do not want to come here anyways. Taxes, garbage franchise etc. We all need to have realistic expectations is all. Every NFL team has tons of cap space and most are WAY more desirable. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Yes but don't say they aren't addressing the issue. That is wrong. They have begun to address the issue. 

I guess you're correct. But signing a guy who graded out worse than Brandon Shell did last year is hardly "addressing the issue" in my opinion. I don't believe George Fant is going to amount to much as a Jet. And for the record I hope i'm wrong about that. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I guess you're correct. But signing a guy who graded out worse than Brandon Shell did last year is hardly "addressing the issue" in my opinion. I don't believe George Fant is going to amount to much as a Jet. And for the record I hope i'm wrong about that. 

For the moment it is enough. At the end of April it is not. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lack of offer from us =/= lack of interest.  We may have learned what price they were looking for and decided not to pursue at that number.  

Conklin is injury prone and its why the Titans didn't franchise him in the first place.  Might be a mistake on their part, but when the team that drafts you doesn't see the benefit of a 2nd contract, it's worth paying attention to.  That's why free agency is fool's gold.  

FA bringd your bottom to the middle. Since our wole team except three players is on the bottom, we can sign just about anyone and be better but a career backup? I was hoping to put a guy that has more of an impact than this. This was a depth move for any other team.

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Vladimir Ducasse was a better looking pet project......

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

I'm just glad FA has begun. Now all you sad sacks who expected to get nice things for Christmas can  get your whining out.

I don't hate this move, I don't love it ... Low risk mid level of reward. It's 13.5 guaranteed not a big deal hopefully it works out. Isn't this what people wanted... Joe to find the O Lineman he sees the potential in (cause he played O-line or whatever) and sign him to deal that is not a burden.

But Jesus H .... The crying already.... This team is lesson in masochism... If you can't handle it go be a delusionally optimistic Bills fan.  Every year they are going to the SB in their mind, it may suit your delicate disposition better. When the rug is pulled out from under them they cry into their Labatts and start getting ready for next year's SB win (it still hasn't come).

If we end making Sam a human sacrifice learn to enjoy the flames and remember the smell.

If we ever manage to field a competitive try to enjoy it without b*tching the whole way.

When your best hope as a fan is to 'field a competitive team' and you usually fail in that, there is an issue.

There is nothing in the least wrong about bitching, nothing.  Loyal fans bitch, unloyal fans walk away.

If you accept garbage and mediocrity that is what you will always get.

The fact the the average fan on this site has 100% proven to be smarter than our own ownership and management is an issue.

The NY Jets have long since spent their 'trust capital' it is up to them to earn it back by good sound moves.

No I'll keep doing what I have down in the past, give the team credit for moves I think are good and bitch about moves I think are bad.

It just so happens this team has a history of making WAY more bad moves than good.  Blame it on the team, not the fans.

• Post of the Week 1