The argument against Becton is flawed

Just now, Jets723 said:

You could say that with every OL.....

Yes, but some are mor plug and play than others. We have a QB in his third year who really needs some stability on the line NOW. From everything I’ve seen this kid is 2-3 years away from being ready. Hope I’m wrong, I do. 

The man has close to my body fat. I'm a skinny Indian guy who likes to powerlift. I'm a physician and other than protecting his lower back (a concern for taller people in general) I have no worries. The guy is not Terrence Cody. @bitonti will tell you my active disdain for that guy as a prospect. We battled on JI about that for months lol. 

PFF has him as their #45 prospect and 5th rated OT.  Only time will tell.

I agree with them that the lack of data/reps in true pass sets is a concern....but it doesn't mean he's not (or won't be) an excellent pass protector.  I have to believe Joe D has evaluated all of these concerns and any flaws with Becton's hands or lack of reps is something he believes is easily correctable.

Just now, CanadienJetsFan said:

Look at it this way, if Macc was still in charge, he's obviously would have gone for the safe pick, Wirfs.

But Macc isn't the GM because he draft picking sucked.

Nope.

Mac wouldn't even have selected an OT. So theres that. 

Just now, TheMo said:

The man has close to my body fat. I'm a skinny Indian guy who likes to powerlift. I'm a physician and other than protecting his lower back (a concern for taller people in general) I have no worries. The guy is not Terrence Cody. @bitonti will tell you my active disdain for that guy as a prospect. We battled on JI about that for months lol. 

Great seeing you on the Zoom call yesterday.

Please keep that anesthesia ready for the Board if we do something weird with the #48 pick. lol

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes, but some are mor plug and play than others. We have a QB in his third year who really needs some stability on the line NOW. From everything I’ve seen this kid is 2-3 years away from being ready. Hope I’m wrong, I do. 

You will be lol

I don't know how to reconcile that with this:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2019/12/02/louisville-football-mekhi-becton-receives-jacobs-blocking-trophy/4350659002/

Louisville left tackle Mekhi Becton has brought home some hardware early in college football award season. 

Becton, considered a top-50 NFL prospect, was named the winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy. The award has been awarded to the ACC's most outstanding blocker since 1953 an is voted on by league's head coaches and defensive coordinators. 

The Louisville offense took a strong step forward behind Becton's talent and leadership. Heading into the Kentucky game, Saturday, Becton had not allowed a sack in 628 sacks this season. He also had 60 total knockdowns in 10 games and graded above 80% in nine of those 10 games. 

He recorded a season-high seven knockdown blocks and had a 90% grade against Syracuse, just two weeks ago. 

Over the course of his career, he allowed just four sacks in 2,300 snaps. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We took a guy 11 overall that was the 45th best pass protector in college.  That's the concern! 

Pro Football Focus: Becton’s production isn’t great. He struggled flipping sides at Louisville in 2018 and didn’t’ fare much better in true pass-set situations in 2019. He was largely protected by the Cardinals’ play-action and screen-heavy offense and allowed eight total pressures across his 73 true pass sets this past season. His 79.2 PFF pass-blocking grade in 2019 ranked 45th among FBS offensive tackles with 250 or more pass-blocking snaps on the year.

If only Douglas paid $39.99 for a PFF subscription 

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

'can't pass block' isn't an accurate way of describing his abilities. 

Is pass blocking his strength? No. Was J.Jones a better pass blockers? Yes. Becton is a much better run blocker. Having said that. He's not a bad pass blocker by any means. 'Bad' pass blockers don't get drafted in the first round, let alone top 10-15. 

He's also raw. He has poor hand technique despite having a good understanding of the zone offense that Louisville ran. He has poor footwork despite having quick feet and great athleticism. This is all very much fixable and something you see with MOST rookie LTs. Becton probably had to rely a lot less on technique simply because of his elite power, size (length) and athleticism. He covers a ton of ground and is difficult to get around. He pancakes LBs with a push. NFL coaching and an NFL training program will serve him well and could turn this guy into a dominant force.  

I'm not saying it's not fixable - all I'm saying is, when people that know what they're talking about with him, their concern isn't his size - the concern is that's not a very good pass blocker right now and sticking him out there to start a season might be very problematic.  

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I don't know how to reconcile that with this:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2019/12/02/louisville-football-mekhi-becton-receives-jacobs-blocking-trophy/4350659002/

Louisville left tackle Mekhi Becton has brought home some hardware early in college football award season. 

Becton, considered a top-50 NFL prospect, was named the winner of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy. The award has been awarded to the ACC's most outstanding blocker since 1953 an is voted on by league's head coaches and defensive coordinators. 

The Louisville offense took a strong step forward behind Becton's talent and leadership. Heading into the Kentucky game, Saturday, Becton had not allowed a sack in 628 sacks this season. He also had 60 total knockdowns in 10 games and graded above 80% in nine of those 10 games. 

He recorded a season-high seven knockdown blocks and had a 90% grade against Syracuse, just two weeks ago. 

The Louisville offense took a strong step forward behind Becton's talent and leadership. Heading into the Kentucky game, Saturday, Becton had not allowed a sack in 628 sacks this season. He also had 60 total knockdowns in 10 games and graded above 80% in nine of those 10 games. 

Louisville offensive lineman Mekhi Becton (73) in action during the first half of an NCAA college football game in Louisville, Ky., Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. (AP Photo/Timothy D. Easley)
Louisville offensive lineman Mekhi Becton (73) in action during the first half of an NCAA college football game in Louisville, Ky., Saturday, Oct. 26, 2019. (AP Photo/Timothy D. Easley) (Photo: Timothy D. Easley, AP)

More: The legendary tales of Mekhi Becton are cemented at Louisville, where his star rises

Top 50 Perfect and we took him at 11. Great. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not saying it's not fixable - all I'm saying is, when people that know what they're talking about with him, their concern isn't his size - the concern is that's not a very good pass blocker right now and sticking him out there to start a season might be very problematic.  

That’s all I’ve been saying. 

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'll wait, at least, until he gives up his first sack in the 2021 pre-season before I board the hate train with you.

Don’t hate him, I actually warmed up to him as a person. His call video was really sincere. He is just going to take a lot of time to be a solid pass blocker in the NFL. Time I really don’t think Sam Darnold has. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Don’t hate him, I actually warmed up to him as a person. His call video was really sincere. He is just going to take a lot of time to be a solid pass blocker in the NFL. Time I really don’t think Sam Darnold has. 

Didn't mean hate him, just the pick.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Great seeing you on the Zoom call yesterday.

Please keep that anesthesia ready for the Board if we do something weird with the #48 pick. lol

Haha ketamine for all. Here's to hoping @More Cowbell can get us up and running for today. It's been refreshing to not have to go back to the draft board to read up on some prospect I never would have had the Jets drafting lol. And then convince myself that it could make sense for the team... I'm not crying, you're crying!!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That’s all I’ve been saying. 

Just remember even Ferguson struggled out of the gate. And he was considered pro ready. Typically this is the way all offensive lineman develop. Joe Thomas rookie seasons tend to be the exceptions. 

11 minutes ago, TheMo said:

Just remember even Ferguson struggled out of the gate. And he was considered pro ready. Typically this is the way all offensive lineman develop. Joe Thomas rookie seasons tend to be the exceptions. 

Brick and Mangold’s balls dropped the second Faneca was put  between them. We just don’t have that kind of time with Sam. It his third year and this kid would be lucky to be ready In two. I do think run game will benefit day 1!!! But pass blocking? I don’t know man. 

27 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

PFF has him as their #45 prospect and 5th rated OT.  Only time will tell.

I agree with them that the lack of data/reps in true pass sets is a concern....but it doesn't mean he's not (or won't be) an excellent pass protector.  I have to believe Joe D has evaluated all of these concerns and any flaws with Becton's hands or lack of reps is something he believes is easily correctable.

They also had Chuma ranked as their #1 pass protector last year.