Jets Still Shopping? Rumors Flying on Logan Ryan & Jason Peters

Logan Ryan

On this week’s episode of JetNation Radio, Kristian Dyer of Sports Illustrated calls in to talk free agency rumors and about the 2020 Jets draft class.  We’ll also discuss the Jets biggest X-factor on the roster and which pass rusher could be poised for a breakout season under Gregg Williams.

A big thank you to the official sponsor of JetNation Radio, MILE Social.  If you’re a business owner, MILE Social will help your business by managing your web site and all of your social media platforms.  Check them out today at milesocial.com.

Our Podcast can now be found on Spotify. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play. Here is some more information on how you can find us online.

The post Jets Still Shopping? Rumors Flying on Logan Ryan & Jason Peters appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
SQa1E7b1FQU

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

I am having a hard time believing that teams will be quick to spend too much money on FAs they can't examine, especially if they have to write checks now and that we don't know how much of the season will even be played.  

• Upvote 1

Liked what Kristian had to say about Cager.  He sounded pretty bullish on him.

I think Cager has a chance to really contribute more so than other UDFA guys we normally hype. He has excellent size and catches the call with his hands. His routes aren’t good but he has a lot of tools that you rarely find in UDFA guys.

I’m really excited to see how he fast he runs.

DPJ:
Career: 37 games, 103 receptions, 1327 yards, 12.9 ypc, 9 TD
Last year: 11 games, 34 receptions, 438 yards, 12.9 ypc

Cager:
Career: 33 games, 78 catches, 1157 yards, 14.8 ypc, 14 TDs.
Last year: 8 games, 33 catches, 476 yards, 14.4 ypc, 4 TDs.

So everyone says DPJ is a steal, including me, but their production is very similar. They both had terrible QBs and systems.

So the argument is essentially, do their physical traits translate in the NFL. If you go to their mockdraftable page, DPJ’s comps are like this: Emanuel Hall, Chris Conley, Cedric James, Robert Davis, Miles Boykin, Darius Slayton, Brandon Ayuik, Jon Baldwin, Josh Doctson, DJ Hackett.

Not the greatest company, but Slayton had a nice year.

If you go to Cagers page (since he didn’t run, basically you size guys): Tee Higgins, Corey Davis, Michael Pittman, Mike Williams, Collin Johnson, Limas Sweed, PK Sam, Mack Hollins, Clarence Moore, Hank Baskett.

Not the greatest company either (not really counting this year’s class since we don’t know who turns out good/bad). There are two guys that translate decent in terms of being useful with Williams/Davis.

I think DPJ is by far the better route runner, and faster, but Cager has the size advantage and can carve out a redzone role from the start. I’m not saying either are going to be studs, but both have some nice potential. If DPJ is a steal, then so is Cager. If he were healthy at the combine, I think he gets drafted for sure.
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think Cager has a chance to really contribute more so than other UDFA guys we normally hype. He has excellent size and catches the call with his hands. His routes aren’t good but he has a lot of tools that you rarely find in UDFA guys.

I’m really excited to see how he fast he runs.

DPJ:
Career: 37 games, 103 receptions, 1327 yards, 12.9 ypc, 9 TD
Last year: 11 games, 34 receptions, 438 yards, 12.9 ypc

Cager:
Career: 33 games, 78 catches, 1157 yards, 14.8 ypc, 14 TDs.
Last year: 8 games, 33 catches, 476 yards, 14.4 ypc, 4 TDs.

So everyone says DPJ is a steal, including me, but their production is very similar. They both had terrible QBs and systems.

So the argument is essentially, do their physical traits translate in the NFL. If you go to their mockdraftable page, DPJ’s comps are like this: Emanuel Hall, Chris Conley, Cedric James, Robert Davis, Miles Boykin, Darius Slayton, Brandon Ayuik, Jon Baldwin, Josh Doctson, DJ Hackett.

Not the greatest company, but Slayton had a nice year.

If you go to Cagers page (since he didn’t run, basically you size guys): Tee Higgins, Corey Davis, Michael Pittman, Mike Williams, Collin Johnson, Limas Sweed, PK Sam, Mack Hollins, Clarence Moore, Hank Baskett.

Not the greatest company either (not really counting this year’s class since we don’t know who turns out good/bad). There are two guys that translate decent in terms of being useful with Williams/Davis.

I think DPJ is by far the better route runner, and faster, but Cager has the size advantage and can carve out a redzone role from the start. I’m not saying either are going to be studs, but both have some nice potential. If DPJ is a steal, then so is Cager. If he were healthy at the combine, I think he gets drafted for sure.

Man.  I wish we had OTA's with guys like Cager and Huff.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, peebag said:

It'd be whole lot better if it did...

rs_1024x759-151102132605-rs_1024x759-130

not to be a dick, but i went back to make sure my 3 alrights was correct...  cos i once had a mild disagreement with someone that said it was 4...

and the line is, after asking the younggun if he had a joint...

it'd be a lot cooler if you did

i wouldnt have known that w/o checking this afetrnoon...

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I see Ryan and Peters in a bunch of media conjecture.  I've seen more actual rumors about them going after Dalton and being in the market for a vet backup QB.  I think we're all going to be disappointed.

Wasn't there a lot of legitimate smoke regarding Logan Ryan prior to the draft?  If so, did adding all the DB's via the draft/UDFA's change that?

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, peebag said:

It'd be whole lot better if it did...

rs_1024x759-151102132605-rs_1024x759-130

Wayyyyy off topic, but I can't see that and not post this.....

Reprised the role for a video with one of my favorite artists (Butch Walker) who did it because that movie defined his teen years.

• Upvote 1

Rumors could be spread by desperate agents...trying to create a market at decent wages...for their clients.  Meanwhile...JD did his shopping at discount prices.  Prove it deals.  The draft and UDFA.  

It's now a waiting game to see who blinks.  JD is only going to sign guys at his price...not theirs.  

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wasn't there a lot of legitimate smoke regarding Logan Ryan prior to the draft?  If so, did adding all the DB's via the draft/UDFA's change that?

Do you have some method for determining which smoke is legitimate?  Is it like selecting a new Pope? 

Giants and Seahawks are probably back in now, though he probably isn't long enough for Seattle.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Wayyyyy off topic, but I can't see that and not post this.....

Reprised the role for a video with one of my favorite artists (Butch Walker) who did it because that movie defined his teen years.

Love me some Butch Walker!

6 minutes ago, peebag said:

Love me some Butch Walker!

Damn, another Butch fan on JN?  Awesome.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen him live.  Met him a couple times before shows and in a bar after a show in Atlanta once and the guy is every bit as down to earth as you'd hope.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you have some method for determining which smoke is legitimate?  Is it like selecting a new Pope? 

No I do not.  But you're identifying some smoke as legit (backup QB) and other smoke as not (Logan Ryan).  Not saying you're wrong there. So I have the same question for you:  How are you divining the legit smoke from the fake smoke?

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No I do not.  But you're identifying some smoke as legit (backup QB) and other smoke as not (Logan Ryan).  Not saying you're wrong there. So I have the same question for you:  How are you divining the legit smoke from the fake smoke?

I don't.  If it were me I would much prefer the tackle and the DB in that order over a backup QB that I pray never sees the field, one that I hope is beaten out soundly in camp by both Morgan and Fales.  Based on the fact that I never get what I want, I assume they will get a backup QB and nothing else.

Also, while the Peters and Dalton items were Cimini (ESPN) and James Palmer (NFL).  I don't know how reliable Cimini or Palmer are, but Ryan already pretty much completely refuted the Manish piece.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't.  If it were me I would much prefer the tackle and the DB in that order over a backup QB that I pray never sees the field, one that I hope is beaten out soundly in camp by both Morgan and Fales.  Based on the fact that I never get what I want, I assume they will get a backup QB and nothing else.

Also, while the Peters and Dalton items were Cimini (ESPN) and James Palmer (NFL).  I don't know how reliable Cimini or Palmer are, but Ryan already pretty much completely refuted the Manish piece.

Just like Douglas has been doing all offseason, I imagine he's drawn a line in the sand with Logan Ryan.  Something like 1 year, $7-8M.  Take it or leave it.  There's still plenty of reason to believe he'll end up having to settle for a deal like that then try to hit big in free agency next year.

Just because Manish's report was refuted (as we all knew it would be) doesn't mean there's little chance we end up with Ryan in the end.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just like Douglas has been doing all offseason, I imagine he's drawn a line in the sand with Logan Ryan.  Something like 1 year, $7-8M.  Take it or leave it.  There's still plenty of reason to believe he'll end up having to settle for a deal like that then try to hit big in free agency next year.

Just because Manish's report was refuted (as we all knew it would be) doesn't mean there's little chance we end up with Ryan in the end.  

I don't know.  The Giants are certainly in the market for an undersized CB that runs in the mid-4.5s.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I was really into getting Ryan......before the draft. Since we drafted 2 DBs, traded a pick for Wilson and signed 2 UDFA CBs, I now think the resources are best used on another position. Not sure Peters is the one. Maybe another vet WR....even if it's DT

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Neither of these particularly excite me. Logan Ryan seems like a guy Mac would give $20M guaranteed to, but that Joe Douglas recognizes as nothing all that great. I’d see Peters as a nice insurance policy and possible starter, and look to pay him as such. Maybe a $4M deal that could double depending on how many starts he gets. Best case scenario on the Jets line is Fant and Becton working out. 

I think the vet backup is probably inevitable, but it’ll be a lower priced signing. Siemian II, perhaps? 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Neither of these particularly excite me. Logan Ryan seems like a guy Mac would give $20M guaranteed to, but that Joe Douglas recognizes as nothing all that great. I’d see Peters as a nice insurance policy and possible starter, and look to pay him as such. Maybe a $4M deal that could double depending on how many starts he gets. Best case scenario on the Jets line is Fant and Becton working out. 

I think the vet backup is probably inevitable, but it’ll be a lower priced signing. Siemian II, perhaps? 

ROLL IT OVER!!!

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I was really into getting Ryan......before the draft. Since we drafted 2 DBs, traded a pick for Wilson and signed 2 UDFA CBs, I now think the resources are best used on another position. Not sure Peters is the one. Maybe another vet WR....even if it's DT

We have a lot of DB's, for sure.   But I don't think we have a CB1.  Maybe Desir, Austin, or someone else emerges and proves capable of adequately handling an opposing team's WR1.  I'll believe it when I see it.  And maybe Ryan himself isn't best suited as a CB1.  But I think in Williams' system he'd thrive.  

Maybe its not worth it to spend money that blocks those young DB's progress.  But I like Ryan's versatility, which is something JD also values.  Ryan is capable of being a CB1, a slot guy, or could be converted into a FS. 

And on what would likely end up being just a 1-year deal, the worst-case scenario is he ends up signing elsewhere after that 1 year and gets us a comp pick.  I'm good with that.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We have a lot of DB's, for sure.   But I don't think we have a CB1.  Maybe Desir, Austin, or someone else emerges and proves capable of adequately handling an opposing team's WR1.  I'll believe it when I see it.  And maybe Ryan himself isn't best suited as a CB1.  But I think in Williams' system he'd thrive.  

Maybe its not worth it to spend money that blocks those young DB's progress.  But I like Ryan's versatility, which is something JD also values.  Ryan is capable of being a CB1, a slot guy, or could be converted into a FS. 

And on what would likely end up being just a 1-year deal, the worst-case scenario is he ends up signing elsewhere after that 1 year and gets us a comp pick.  I'm good with that.  

I hear what you're saying. He is plenty versatile, but isn't that why we drafted Davis? Like you said, he's (Ryan) not an elite #1 CB. That's why I've been less enthusiastic about signing him since the draft.