Bye Bye Ty

Report: Saints agree to terms with Ty Montgomery

Posted by Charean Williams on May 15, 2020, 4:14 PM EDT

The Saints have agreed to terms with free agent Ty Montgomery, Nick Underhill of neworleans.football reports.

Montgomery has played both running back and receiver, giving Sean Payton yet another toy for his offense.

The Packers made Montgomery a third-round choice in 2015. He started his career at receiver before moving to running back after the Packers had injuries at the position.

He also returned kickoffs, and in fact, a fumble on a kickoff late in a 2018 game against the Rams, and the aftermath of whether he was told to down it in the end zone, got him traded to the Ravens.

Montgomery, 27, played with the Jets last season, seeing action in 16 games with two starts.

He had 45 touches for 193 yards and returned 18 kickoffs for a 20.2 yards average last season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/15/saints-agree-to-terms-with-ty-montgomery/

• Upvote 1

I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do here, but it never materialized. Be interesting to see if he contributes on the Saints, or gets cut in training camp. I don’t have a prediction. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mike Maccagnan brought in literally zero players that Gase wanted in that '19 offseason.  But yes let's put it all on Gase.

Lol c'mon, what's a Gase player? A 38 y.o. Frank Gore. The excuses need to stop for Gase when he misues players. 

Want to say Mac ****ed up the oline, yes I will agree but Gase refused to use Bell and Ty in any imaginative way. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Lol c'mon, what's a Gase player? A 38 y.o. Frank Gore. The excuses need to stop for Gase when he misues players. 

Want to say Mac ****ed up the oline, yes I will agree but Gase refused to use Bell and Ty in any imaginative way. 

So your saying he's good and his lack of production is from misuse?

Every player who doesnt produce is from misuse.  I guess it was Gase telling them to run into the line and fall down

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I remember him fumbling either early in season or late preseason and never really getting playing time after that - I wonder if with guys like this who seem to be made for offensive scheme ( good receiver out of backfield etc) don’t do more because of poor practice habits or not learning playbook or not executing plays properly when on field - I just don ‘t buy the “Gase didn’t know how to use him” theory - but as someone said before it will be interesting to see how he does in Sean Payton offense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He was never used right by Gase anyway so it was a waste of a roster spot. 

You’re not shy about hating Gase. This will be interesting. The Saints clearly have an explosive offense. They can make Gase look bad or not here. 

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He was never used right by Gase anyway so it was a waste of a roster spot. 

This is true, at the same time his last good year I think was 2016. Ended poorly with McCarthy in Green Bay and really didn’t do anything for harbaugh in Baltimore. He’s good depth, but really a jag 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

You’re not shy about hating Gase. This will be interesting. The Saints clearly have an explosive offense. They can make Gase look bad or not here. 

I hate Gase, he’s was a Dolphin and unsuccessful. To this point it was the stupidest HC hiring ever by the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I hate Gase, he’s was a Dolphin and unsuccessful. To this point it was the stupidest HC hiring ever by the Jets. 

Um.....no.

Firing Pete Carroll to bring in Rich Kotite pretty much has that trophy locked up.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Adam Gase was the HC of the Dolphins but he was never a Dolphin. He was more a Bronco or Bear than he was a Dolphin. That guy made Tannehill look like a real QB before a series of injuries short circuited his season . The Dolphin under Gase and Tannehill were challenging for the division before Tannehill got injured and derailed their season
    JasonTaylor and Bryan Cox were the two stinking Dolphins who were allowed to wear our sacred colors . 
Gase is a solid coach, but how can a baker make a cake when the most important ingredients are missing . 

• Upvote 2