Favorite pick outside of the big 3

Favorite pick aside from big 3?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite pick outside of big 3

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Davis. Will end up being the best player in the Jets secondary within the next 2-3 years, whether Adams is extended or not.  It would, however,  be best to have him and Adams out there together.   

I don't know if he will be the best player in the secondary or not, but I believe he can have the chance to lead the team in Interceptions.  That is a big deal.  The Jets have been horrible overall with interceptions over the years, and I think Davis changes that, with his athleticism and his nose for the ball.

• Upvote 3

I would go with Zuniga or Clark.  Those are two guys that I liked approaching the draft.  I'm surprised that Clark doesn't get talked up more.  Yes, he is from a small school, but he fits the athletic profile for tackle.  Not sure why he'd have to get moved to G.  He was one of the later guys I really liked.  Zuniga has an injury history, but he also fits the profile at a position where the profile is very important.  Really liked that pick too.  

I'm not really that in love with Hall.  I don't think he is going to be very fast.  His injury is a real concern and while I think he will be okay, I don't think that he is the kind of corner that fits every system.  Worth a shot in the 5th for sure, but not a pick I'd universally praise.  Davis seems good now, but he wasn't really on my radar pre-draft.  Everything I read about him seems positive, but I felt the same when the picked Darron Lee.  Physically good, but I'll wait to see it on the field. 

Perrine seems good but uninspiring.  Mann is a punter, so I am not excited, though he seems quality.  Morgan took a ton of sacks, but he is the kind of big-armed QB I don't mind taking a shot on and they have the roster space.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

I picked Zuniga -- based on need and positional value. 

Wonder if more people would be picking him if not for the parallels to the Polite pick last year.

Never thought of him that way.  Probably because this is a new ERA.  The JD one.  And it has such a positive feel to it.  

Zuniga was my 2nd choice behind Davis.  IMO Zuniga has 10+ sack potential down the road.  Right now he needs some coaching and development.  Would not be surprised though if he got up to 5-7 sacks and good amount of pressures. 

QW is the key factor here...as to how effective a pass rush Jets have this season.  If he has a breakout season...others will benefit.  Including Zuniga.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Top 10 against a very weak schedule.  That can't be overstated.  The defense will be challenged by a lot of good QB's this season.  Improved play AND good health are all necessary to finish in the top 10 again.

Out of curiosity i checked just the offensive numbers to see if that also showed up as "very easy"

unfortunately they did 

---

thought we might be in business with Cowboys/Ravens ranked #1 & #2 offenses

but then nothing else in the top 10 ...

Raiders, Eagles, Pats, Pats - 11, 14, 15, 15

Jags, Browns, Giants, Bills, Bills, Bengals, Dolphins, Dolphins - 20, 22, 23, 24, 24, 26, 27, 27

Steelers, Redskins - 30, 31

only ourselves being a lower ranked O at 32

---

we faced very weak offenses last year

(Gregg Williams still did a hell-of-a job)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Jarrett Stidham?

Brady was average at best last season.  I don't think the dropoff from Brady to Stidham is so severe that it should make anyone forget we're going to be facing the likes of Mahomes, Wilson, Kyler Murray (who I think will take a big leap in year 2), Goff, Rivers, Garoppolo and Mayfield.  Only the first 3 names on that list are really scary, but that's 2 more than last year's schedule contained (Jackson).  

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, Losmeister said:

he was right behind my choice of Zuniga...

and I quoted you instead of @Bungaman only cos I favo your Lebowski avatar a smidgen more than the

drunk and dejected barechested clown

And there's something lesser about hardworking, smoking, drinking psychopathic entertainers? ?

On 5/20/2020 at 9:28 AM, JiF said:

Not trying to be homer but for me it's Zuniga strictly on the athletic profile.  Guys that test like from major programs with production, dont typically last till the 3rd RD.  If he can stay healthy in the pros and the Jets finally found a true blue pass rusher, it would be an absolute dream scenario to find him with your 4th pick in a very crucial draft. 

I recall from the draft Zuniga and Huff as good Edge prospects. Picked Zuniga since he was within the draft rounds but Huff I may have went with if drafted though he may be a steal as an UDFA.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:54 AM, slimjasi said:

I guess Hall is considered part of the "big three" even though he was drafted in round 5?

In that case, I'd say Davis because he seems like a perfect fit for our defensive scheme and I love good return men. 

Apparently

On 5/20/2020 at 9:52 AM, JiF said:

Right and I guess at this point it looks like they're keeping Williamson, which is pretty scary to think about him and Mosley playing together.

If Davis and Zuniga can make an impact, it would be HUGE for this D.  

And then if they did land, Ryan.  It's a playoff level D, IMO.

Also imagine if Hall becomes the CB may expect he will. May not be much weaknesses on this D moving forward.

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's really a legit tie for me. I loved Perine coming into the draft and hoped it was him if JD went RB. The only "issue" I had with it was I thought he would make it to the 5th. That's not a big deal though. I took Perine in my last Mock vid and I think he is perfect for us. Add his return skills and we have a young RB that I have high hopes for. 

And the other guy is Clark. He is an a stud and has the exact mentality I want in our OLinemen. I sincerely believe he will be starting at LG before the season is out if he doesn't beat Lewis outright for game 1. The other thing I love about him is his versatility. If he is a  starting G for us and things go south with injuries or whatever he can easily slip into either T spot and give us Shell without batting an eylash. He and Becton on the left side has the potential to be devastating to the DL we're facing. I love this pick. 

I’m rarely a fan of using a pick non a RB before rd6 or rd7 but It is what it is.

Clark is the guy I want to see.  With a full training camp my hope is he can eventually steal a starting job this season.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I’m rarely a fan of using a pick non a RB before rd6 or rd7 but It is what it is.

Clark is the guy I want to see.  With a full training camp my hope is he can eventually steal a starting job this season.

Yep. Cameron Clark is an animal.  I look at him as one of the 4 absolute steals we got in this draft.  I had other OL rated a little higher but this was a good OL class.  I'm excited about the whole class really. Well, except Morgan. I'm rooting for him but excited isn't the word U would use for him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Interesting. I think those middle rounds are the sweet spots for RBs. That's where the Jets found both Leon Washington and Bilal Powell. I liked what the Jets were doing a few years back with Thomas Jones and LaDainian Tomlinson, too. A vet with something left in the tank on a reasonable deal. I also prefer the RB by committee approach that I think Gase prefers, too. Christian McCaffrey is an amazing player, but what happens to your offense when he gets hurt? 

We'll see what happens this year, but it's possible with Gore at 35 and Bell having no guaranteed money left on his deal that Perine could be the only RB to carry over into next season. 

• Upvote 1

I voted for Davis.  Everything I have seen of him makes him a very intriguing prospect.  If he works out then it gives us tremendous flexibility moving forward in our secondary *cough* *cough* $17 million per year....

1 hour ago, slats said:

Interesting. I think those middle rounds are the sweet spots for RBs. That's where the Jets found both Leon Washington and Bilal Powell. I liked what the Jets were doing a few years back with Thomas Jones and LaDainian Tomlinson, too. A vet with something left in the tank on a reasonable deal. I also prefer the RB by committee approach that I think Gase prefers, too. Christian McCaffrey is an amazing player, but what happens to your offense when he gets hurt? 

We'll see what happens this year, but it's possible with Gore at 35 and Bell having no guaranteed money left on his deal that Perine could be the only RB to carry over into next season. 

I think one of my biggest issues is that they took a RB with plenty of holes on their roster.  If you're a stacked team that's solid up and down, I don't care what round you take one in because it's a luxury you can afford when the rest of the roster is strong.  I'd have taken another O-lineman or WR in that spot but it is what it is.  All things considered I think Joe D got a hell of a haul in this class.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's really a legit tie for me. I loved Perine coming into the draft and hoped it was him if JD went RB. The only "issue" I had with it was I thought he would make it to the 5th. That's not a big deal though. I took Perine in my last Mock vid and I think he is perfect for us. Add his return skills and we have a young RB that I have high hopes for. 

What return skills?    Am I missing something?

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

Interesting.  Why?  Not a lot of quality RBs come from rounds 6/7; usually you only find special team guys in that range.  Plenty of quality RBs come from the round 3-5 range, to back up the point @slats made.

Successful round 3-5 RBs since 2005 (I counted 27):

• Frank Gore (Rd 3)
  • Darren Sproles (Rd 4)
  • Marion Barber (Rd 4)
  • Brandon Jacobs (Rd 4)
  • Leon Washington (Rd 4)
  • Michael Bush (Rd 4)
  • Jamaal Charles (Rd 3)
  • Tim Hightower (Rd 5)
  • DeMarco Murray (Rd 3)
  • Dion Lewis (Rd 5)
  • Bilal Powell (Rd 4)
  • Lamar Miller (Rd 4)
  • Chris Thompson (Rd 5)
  • Devonta Freeman (Rd 4)
  • James White (Rd 4)
  • David Johnson (Rd 3)
  • Tevin Coleman (Rd 3)
  • Duke Johnson (Rd 3)
  • Jordan Howard (Rd 5)
  • Kenyan Drake (Rd 3)
  • Alvin Kamara (Rd 3)
  • Kareem Hunt (Rd 3)
  • Tarik Cohen (Rd 4)
  • Aaron Jones (Rd 5)
  • Marlon Mack (Rd 4)
  • James Conner (Rd 3)
  • Devin Singletary (Rd 3)

Successful round 6-7 RBs since 2005 (12):

• Ahmad Bradshaw (Rd 7)
  • Jason Snelling (Rd 7)
  • Justin Forsett (Rd 7)
  • Rashad Jennings (Rd 7)
  • James Starks (Rd 6)
  • Alfred Morris (Rd 6)
  • Latavius Murray (Rd 6)
  • Theo Riddick (Rd 6)
  • Andre Ellington (Rd 6)
  • Spencer Ware (Rd 6)
  • Rex Burkhead (Rd 6)
  • Chris Carson (Rd 7)

And I was being quite generous with a few of those Rd 6-7 guys just to ensure I wasn't being biased.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think one of my biggest issues is that they took a RB with plenty of holes on their roster.  If you're a stacked team that's solid up and down, I don't care what round you take one in because it's a luxury you can afford when the rest of the roster is strong.  I'd have taken another O-lineman or WR in that spot but it is what it is.  All things considered I think Joe D got a hell of a haul in this class.

Ty Montgomery and Bilal Powell were both free agents we had no intention of bringing back.  RB2 was absolutely a need.   

Perine has the look of being the next Bilal Powell, who was an excellent RB2.