Happy Birthday Sam Darnold!

10 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

You can evaluate him. Make sure to compare other QBs at that age.

Why, does he only play against other QB's of that age?

32 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You evaluate him every year with the appropriate context. 

The only appropriate context IMO is "1 of 32 starting NFL QB's". 

His age is 100% irrelevant to me.  He starts, he gets evaluated as a starter.  Period.

There are no "he's young, so he gets a mulligan (or three)" seasons in the NFL.

Until the league starts giving handicapping points to teams who play young QB's, it's also irrelevant to the NFL too.

P.S. Patrick Mahomes was 22 when he started the season where he threw for 5,000+ yards and 50 TD's.

Patrick Mahomes was 23 when he started the season where he threw for 4,000+ yards and 26 TD's and Won the Super Bowl.

So I guess at least ONE 22-23 year old is up to that challenge, even if he's not "the best QB to come out the past three years".

Again, happy 23rd birthday Sam.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d like to extend a piece of advice to Sam that was told to me as a young, single lad and has served me well over the years. 

“If it smells too good, it’s a trap and you should leave it alone. It’s not supposed to smell too good.”

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

His age is 100% irrelevant to me.  He starts, he gets evaluated as a starter.  Period.

Until the league starts giving handicapping points to teams who play young QB's, it's also irrelevant to the NFL too.

P.S. Patrick Mahomes was 22 when he started the season where he threw for 5,000+ yards and 50 TD's.

Patrick Mahomes was 23 when he started the season where he threw for 4,000+ yards and 26 TD's and Won the Super Bowl.

So I guess at least ONE 22-23 year old is up to that challenge, even if he's not "the best QB to come out the past three years".

0E1E6540-3B5C-409B-8698-40B8C3229624.gif

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Damn Warfish.  Did you buy Marlboros for years... then find out that the Malboro man WASN'T real.  So you've have it in against the Hammer/Darnold family tree ever since?  Man.  I get that you don't have much faith in Sam.  But jeez.  Got a complex about him... Maybe?  

• Upvote 1

Wasn't that hard after all....

In term of real age, Mahomes was 23 for over 90% of his rookie season. Stop with the phony numbers . He was 23 in September of his rookie year . He was 22 for 2 games. Sam has yet to play a game as a 23 yr old, as opposed to Mahomes , who has played all but 3 games under 23. Nice try though.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Damn Warfish.  Did you buy Marlboros for years... then find out that the Malboro man WASN'T real.  So you've have it in against the Hammer/Darnold family tree ever since?  

Well, I do speak through a hole in my throat, so........jk. 

In term of real age, Mahomes was 23 for over 90% of his rookie season. Stop with the phony numbers . He was 23 in September of his rookie year . He was 22 for 2 games. Sam has yet to play a game as a 23 yr old, as opposed to Mahomes , who has played all but 3 games under 23. Nice try though.

And I meant his 2nd season, not rookie year

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, I do speak through a hole in my throat, so........jk. 

I mean.  I get it.  His youth is and experience are overvalued for his production so far.  But man.  He's out there with Claypool and the USC guys.  Hes trying.  He's doing his best.  Jeez.  He's our QB.  This is the only off season we will actually believe in him.  Because by next year... if he doesnt.  We'll have more threads on trading him then we do about Adam's.

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wrong 

If you evaluate Darnold without factoring in that he had mono, a disease that most people take 6 months to recover from, and played behind the worst o line in the history of this franchise you are nothing but a troll with an agenda. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

...a troll with an agenda. 

The only agenda I have ever had is a Super Bowl victory for the NY Jets in what is left of my lifetime.

Every single word I post, and every opinion I hold, starts and ends with that agenda.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The only agenda I have ever had is a Super Bowl victory for the NY Jets in what is left of my lifetime.

Every single word I post, and every opinion I hold, starts and ends with that agenda.

Way to avoid responding to my point, classic troll move. 

28 minutes ago, nico002 said:

..........you are nothing but a troll with an agenda. 

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

twaawarfish.jpg

SAR I

45 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Way to avoid responding to my point, classic troll move. 

What point was that?  You're talking about last year.  I'm talking about this year.

Dismissing people as "trolls" for holding a different opinion is as classic a troll move as there is, btw,

I'm happy to agree to disagree with any poster who thinks Sam's age is in any way relevant to his performance in the forthcoming 2020 season. In my view, that's just preemptive excuse-making to cover up their own obvious doubts that Sam actually WILL produce like a Franchise QB this year.

Because lets be honest now, if you honestly think Sam is going to be amazing this year, you don't care about his age at all.  You'd just be confident Sam will be great.

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What point was that?  You're talking about last year.  I'm talking about this year.

Dismissing people as "trolls" for holding a different opinion is as classic a troll move as there is, btw,

I'm happy to agree to disagree with any poster who thinks Sam's age is in any way relevant to his performance in the forthcoming 2020 season. In my view, that's just preemptive excuse-making to cover up their own obvious doubts that Sam actually WILL produce like a Franchise QB this year.

Because lets be honest now, if you honestly think Sam is going to be amazing this year, you don't care about his age at all.  You'd just be confident Sam will be great.

So at 22 you were as good as your job as you are now? Regardless, the facts are that If you consider the circumstances Darnold was fantastic last year. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d like to extend a piece of advice to Sam that was told to me as a young, single lad and has served me well over the years. 

“If it smells too good, it’s a trap and you should leave it alone. It’s not supposed to smell too good.”

Unfortunately, he needed this advice last year ?

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's not that I don't think his age matters, it's that when you have a job you are expected to do that job. 

If you can't do the job because of your age, someone else should probably be doing the job till you are old enough to do that job properly. 

Hence I do not see age as an excuse for poor performance in a job. 

Clearly, most folks see it all very differently, even tho no one would ever give any of them a break on their own job performances because of their age....

In any event, Happy Birthday to Sam. 

I look forward to seeing him live up to all that potential this coming season for our NY Jets.

does he get to wear big boy pants yet?

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

All you infantalizers know who you are... posting masturbating GIFs about how great Sam Darnold is and how the new golden era of Jet dominance was here...

the kid is looking up at Andy Dalton and Fitzpatrick so far...     which is sad as **** considering we sold the farm to get him...

how many of those weird draft points did we spend on him? 

H'es underperformed his draft slot so far...   

Everyone including Fish and me and 14green will be happy as hell to see him perform as advertised...

Cos, when it's said and done... so far, apart from HIS fans and Jets fans?

his most memorable performance was the seeing ghosts game...   

• Thumb Down 3

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Juan Soto wasn't even 21, and was perhaps the single most vital player on the 2019 Nationals.  Without him, we don;t make the playoffs, we don;t win in the playoffs, and we're not the reigning World Champions.  So clearly some kids can rise to that challenge despite their age, even on the world biggest stage.  

I'm hopeful Sam can do the same.  

To compare a baseball player to an NFL QB is ludicrous. The baseball player can determine his own destiny. The QB has to rely on his entire team to be cohesive. Sam's first 2 years he has had very little in talent to work with, but he has shown some brilliance that is legitimate. Lets reevaluate his performance after this season. Hopefully you will finally realize that he is a great QB.

1 hour ago, GaryM said:

To compare a baseball player to an NFL QB is ludicrous. The baseball player can determine his own destiny. The QB has to rely on his entire team to be cohesive. Sam's first 2 years he has had very little in talent to work with, but he has shown some brilliance that is legitimate. Lets reevaluate his performance after this season. Hopefully you will finally realize that he is a great QB.

Hopefully he will be, and will produce like one.

5 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Who cares. Comparisons between them is irrelevant. Mahomes has Andy Reid and weapons out the cahoo. Sam has Gase, a one trick pony in Robbie and a girl who gave him mono. 

• Sympathy 1

Some of you are looking at this wrong.

His age isn't an excuse.  His age is a positive because he's already gone through his growing pains and development and he's still younger than the rookies drafted this year.

The lack of talent around him WAS an excuse because he wasn't experienced or developed enough to carry a team by himself.

Both of those should be put to bed this season.  We should see consistent high level play and we still have another 10+ years of this kid!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Come on, man. He's only 23.

When we drafted him, every single poster here who talked about the pick said he was only a baby, and we'd have to wait years for him to grow into the job. Go back and look at the threads... nobody expected anything during his first contract, we knew better. 

It's not like people were comparing him to guys like Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers.

Nobody was saying he was already one of the best QBs they'd ever seen.

Nobody expected him to become a franchise QB before he was 25.

You have to be patient. We all knew this was going to take a while. 

Brett Farve was an enigma. Traded. Didn’t blossom until his 4th year. Rodgers sat for his first 3 years and sucked his first full year playing. It’s super rare for QB’s to play well at the beginning. And even when they hit their stride, many fall short of a championship. Marino, Kelly, Tarkenton, etc etc. Sam is just a kid. Yet he has that moxie all great QB’s possess.  I still can’t believe we were able to get him. 

• Upvote 1