I Love It (Redskins Fans Outrage) - How Would YOU Feel?

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Redskin is a racist slur.  You're "friends on the reservation" are free to agree or disagree, presuming they exist, but the historical context of the term and it's racist slur meaning in the dictionary are unquestionable facts. 

Teams shouldn't be named after racial or ethnic groups, especially when any portion of that group is offended by it and are a historical oppressed minority ffs.  And they sure as hell shouldn't use outdated stereotypes as logos. 

You might be right, many current Native Americans aren't running around complaining about the word Redskins, they're too busy trying to stave off abject poverty in many cases.  The only reason people think it's ok is because they're aren't enough Native Americans left, much less speaking with a unified voice, to have a loud enough public voice to properly oppose it. 

Washington Wetbacks.  Washington Negros (or the other N word).  Washington Kikes.  Washington Wops.  None of these names would last a millisecond today, rightfully so.  Every one is a slur, and you personally being offended or not at those slurs doesn't make them not a slur.  This change is long overdue.  Not because of political correctness, but because of right and wrong ffs.

Listen I completely understand where you're coming from and what's right is right. I'm just saying it's completely overblown at this point. For the 1000 indigenous people interviewed 49% are offended? Well what about the rest?  Who didn't show up or could care less ?

And yes most of my friends run the entire poospatuck and Shinnecock reservations on Long Island.

Hey listen I'd like to make this statement. I would like to say I did not or do not mean to offend anyone in any way. My history and time on Earth has mostly been spent in music and the culinary arts. Without every type of person and culture on this planet I would not have been blessed with all of the beautiful tastes and experiences in my life.

I am in no way a racist.

I'm only trying to say that it's okay to be different and be able to laugh at ourselves and each other.

Archie Bunker and George Jefferson were funny. Richard Pryor, Chris Rock Bill Burr and George Carlin are enlightening.

No need to be so serious.

How boring would life be if we didn't have each other?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Jefferson Airplane to Jefferson Starship, worst name change ever! ?

And a severe drop in quality, too. 

49 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

would explain why most of your posts are c rap!

ugh... just googled who said that and the saying from SNL is "if its not scottish it's craop!"...

/fail

It's SHITE being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the ****ing Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a SHITE state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any ****ing difference. 

40 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Get yourself some solar panels

Always sound advice. 

21 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I'm just saying it's silly. when I was growing up I thought the Redskins uniforms and logo were fierce. I never thought of it as anything other than that and that's the way it was meant. We are all just going overboard with the P.C. thing at this point. 

George Preston Marshall was the owner of the team when he changed the name from Braves to Redskins. He was also a blatant racist who marketed his team to the south via radio, and was the last NFL team to integrate black players -seven years after the second to last team integrated- actually citing that he thought his team's fans didn't want black players on it. I'd say it's questionable, at best, that he didn't know and enjoy the fact that he was changing the name to a term that could be used as a slur. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Doesn't seem to matter that it's just a name. 

If its just a name, and you are suggesting it shouldn't bother people that they are changing the name, then shouldn't it be said that it is just a name, and it shouldn't bother the people who say its offensive?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

And yes most of my friends run the entire......Shinnecock reservations on Long Island.

That's interesting, because their Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/shinnecocknation has a number of posts against Native American mascots, including this video produced by the National Congress of American Indians.

I want to be clear, I don't think most fans of the Redskins name are racists.  I think they simply lack empathy and understanding of what it's really like being a near-completely wiped out, oppressed and abused minority.  The question should't be about what exact % is against it (and 49% is alot man, really) but should start with (like doctors) "Do no harm".  There is no slippery slope here.  It's one name.  One team, one slur that needed changed.  Other teams may willingly decide to change too, that's up to them.  This one HAD to change.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Redskin is a racist slur.  You're "friends on the reservation" are free to agree or disagree, presuming they exist,

1) Just because someone doesn't agree with you on what is racist or not, should not elicit a suggestion that they don't exist.

2) If someone who is part of the recognized culture being slandered, through the use of a generalized slur, is not offended, what does that tell us about the manufactured outrage by another culture?

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

1) Just because someone doesn't agree with you on what is racist or not, should not elicit a suggestion that they don't exist.

On the internet?  Are you kidding me?  

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

2) If someone who is part of the recognized culture being slandered, through the use of a generalized slur, is not offended, what does that tell us about the manufactured outrage by another culture?

Did you forget #3, the Slippery Slope, but what about, what's next concern?

And #4, of course, how worried you are about "erasing history" like all those fans of Confederate Statues?

Mate, even a modicrum of research would show that the objection isn't "manufactured".  

The question really isn't why it should be changed, the question is why you would think it must stay.

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Redskin is a racist slur.  You're "friends on the reservation" are free to agree or disagree, presuming they exist, but the historical context of the term and it's racist slur meaning in the dictionary are unquestionable facts. 

Teams shouldn't be named after racial or ethnic groups, especially when any portion of that group is offended by it and are a historical oppressed minority ffs.  And they sure as hell shouldn't use outdated stereotypes as logos. 

You might be right, many current Native Americans aren't running around complaining about the word Redskins, they're too busy trying to stave off abject poverty in many cases.  The only reason people think it's ok is because they're aren't enough Native Americans left, much less speaking with a unified voice, to have a loud enough public voice to properly oppose it. 

Washington Wetbacks.  Washington Negros (or the other N word).  Washington Kikes.  Washington Wops.  None of these names would last a millisecond today, rightfully so.  Every one is a slur, and you personally being offended or not at those slurs doesn't make them not a slur.  This change is long overdue.  Not because of political correctness, but because of right and wrong ffs.

Anecdotally, I went to the season opener in AZ in 2018.  There was a mass protest in the parking lot.  Multiple Native tribes with signs and petitions asking people to support changing the name.  It was 105 degrees in the parking lot.  They were peaceful, respectful and committed to the change.  

No doubt there are people on all sides of every issue.  As a 50 plus year fan of NFL football and now living in AZ and subject to the terrible conditions and treatment of Native Americans, including the disaster Covid 19 has had in the 4 corners area, I'm disgusted that a racial slur has been trademarked for profit.  I'm sure I didn't feel that way 10 years ago.  It's time.  

You've been spot on regarding this topic.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

On the internet?  Are you kidding me?  

Did you forget #3, the Slippery Slope, but what about, what's next concern?

And #4, of course, how worried you are about "erasing history" like all those fans of Confederate Statues?

Mate, even a modicrum of research would show that the objection isn't "manufactured".  

The question really isn't why it should be changed, the question is why you would think it must stay.

I said before ..what's right is right. However you can't  just erase history. What has happened has happened to all of us. We are who we are now and we all live here and now.

There are no reparations. Your people, my people, those people, 

One People-

Embrace our differences. What the hell is so scary about that?

Recently in an interview Morgan Freeman said there should be no Black History Month. If you live in America it's American history.

This is how we got here.

I'm Irish, German, and Scottish does anybody give a flying rat's ass what my people have been through?

I work, pay my taxes, I'm a good father to my children. Said and done-

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Loooots of old folks finding out that history is going to remember them as sh*t humans getting pretty animated about this kind of thing. 

At some point in time we were all s*** humans and we were all slaves ...Weren't we?

if you're Jewish, Egyptian, Catholic, Irish, Black, Italian Etc. Who the hell hasn't had it tough?

Nobody's Perfect-

1 minute ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

However you can't  just erase history.

We don't need statues to bad people, or racial slur team names, to know our history.

Germany is a nation that, more than almost any other, has need to never, ever forget THEIR history.

Do you think they need a statue to Adolf Hitler in the Berlin town square to do that?  Of course not.

No one wants to erase history, least of all me, I love history.  The choice is a more broad reading of history (good AND bad, and there is plenty of bad to go with the good) and to decide who should be honored and how.

1 minute ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I'm Irish, German, and Scottish does anybody give a flying rat's ass what my people have been through?

As a native born ethnic Scot, of Irish and Scottish parents, and a supporter of Scottish independence and Irish unification, damn right I care about what has happened to the Scots and Irish.   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I live in New Jersey and when I go other places say I'm from New York. 

The Jets are not being disrespectful, if anything, they are being relatable.

Only pretzel eating burpers who love Bruce Springsteen too much want the team to be called the New Jersey Jets,

How do you think New Jerseyans feel about two football teams who have spent 40 years in the state using the name of a neighbor state that threw both of them out?

The Jets and Giants players have lived and worked in New Jersey for the last 38 and 44 years respectively.  It's an insult to the great state of New Jersey that they don't want their names to reflect the people they represent.  There is nothing "New York" about either team.  They don't work, live, play, or practice there.  

SAR I

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We don't need statues to bad people, or racial slur team names, to know our history.

Germany is a nation that, more than almost any other, has need to never, ever forget THEIR history.

Do you think they need a statue to Adolf Hitler in the Berlin town square to do that?  Of course not.

No one wants to erase history, least of all me, I love history.  The choice is a more broad reading of history (good AND bad, and there is plenty of bad to go with the good) and to decide who should be honored and how.

As a native born ethnic Scot, of Irish and Scottish parents, and a supporter of Scottish independence and Irish unification, damn right I care about what has happened to the Scots and Irish.   

I am well aware and I understand. However my point is who needs to carry that cross? I live here and now.. and need to move forward-

Where or what are you going to get from being angry about s*** that happened when you weren't even born?

BTW I am a huge history buff. I like to learn what not to do LOL. But it's still history..

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

How do you think New Jerseyans feel about two football teams who have spent 40 years in the state using the name of a neighbor state that threw both of them out?

The Jets and Giants players have lived and worked in New Jersey for the last 38 and 44 years respectively.  It's an insult to the great state of New Jersey that they don't want their names to reflect the people they represent.  There is nothing "New York" about either team.  They don't work, live, play, or practice there.  

SAR I

Respect the italics!

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I went to school with everybody on the reservation starting in 6th grade. They are my friends and I'm allowed to speak for them. We've always been to each other's weddings funerals cookouts Etc. Trust me they're not offended by the term Washington Redskins

I guess none of them are signed on this letter to the NFL:

July 6, 2020 

VIA ELECTRONIC MAIL 

Roger Goodell, Commissioner

National Football League 

280 Park Avenue New York, NY 10017

roger.goodell@nfl.com 

Dear Mr. Goodell, 

The undersigned are Native American leaders and organizations that have worked tirelessly and substantively for over half a century to change the racist name of the Washington team. We appreciate the statements made in recent days regarding the league and the team’s intention to revisit the name, but we are deeply concerned that the process or decision to rename is being made in absence of any discussion with the concerned leadership. 

Specifically, we, the undersigned, request that the NFL immediately: 

1. Require the Washington NFL team (Owner- Dan Snyder) to immediately change the name R*dsk*ns, a dictionary defined racial slur for Native Peoples. 

2. Require the Washington team to immediately cease the use of racialized Native American branding by eliminating any and all imagery of or evocative of Native American culture, traditions, and spirituality from their team franchise including the logo. This includes the use of Native terms, feathers, arrows, or monikers that assume the presence of Native American culture, as well as any characterization of any physical attributes. 

3. Cease the use of the 2016 Washington Post Poll and the 2004 National Annenberg Election Survey which have been repeatedly used by the franchise and supporters to rationalize the use of the racist r-word name. These surveys were not academically vetted and were called unethical and inaccurate by the Native American Journalist Association as well as deemed damaging by other prominent organizations that represent Native Peoples. The NFL team must be held accountable to the various  research studies conducted by scientists and scholars which find stereotypical images, names and the like are harmful to Native youth and the continued progress of the wellbeing of Native Peoples. 

4. Cease the use of the offensive, racial slur name “R*dsk*ns” immediately, and encourage journalists, writers and reporters to use the term in print only by using asterisks “R*dsk*ns” and to refer to the term verbally as the “r-word”. 

5. Ban all use of Native imagery, names, slur names, redface, appropriation of Native culture and spiritually as well as violence toward Native Peoples from the League. 

6. Apply the NFL’s “zero tolerance” for on-field use of racial and homophobic slurs to all races and ethnic groups, especially Native Peoples. 

7. Complete a full rebranding of the Washington team name, logo, mascot, and color scheme, to ensure that continuing harm is not perpetuated by anyone. Finally, we note that the above items are non-negotiable and not subject to consultation or dialogue “processes”, however, we expect the NFL to engage in a robust, meaningful reconciliation process with Native American movement leaders, tribes, and organizations to repair the decades of emotional violence and other serious harms this racist team name has caused to Native Peoples. 

Sincerely, Suzan Shown Harjo, Lead Plaintiff, Harjo v. Pro Football, Inc; President, The Morning Star Institute; Former Executive Director, National Congress of American Indians  

Amanda Blackhorse, Lead Plaintiff, Blackhorse v. Pro Football, Inc.

S. James Anaya, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the rights of Indigenous Peoples, 2008-2015; Dean and University Distinguished Professor, University of Colorado Law School 

Jodi Archambault, Special Assistant to the President, White House Domestic Policy Council, 2009-2015

Notah Begay, PGA TOUR winner, Founder, NB3 Foundation 

Joann K. Chase, Former Executive Director, National Congress of American Indians 

Philip J. Deloria, Leverett Saltonstall Professor of History, Harvard University, and Author, Playing Indian and Indians in Unexpected Places 

Keith Doxtator, Trust Director, Oneida Nation 

Crystal Echohawk, Executive Director, Illuminative 

Carla F. Fredericks, Director, First Peoples Worldwide 

Stephanie Fryberg, University Diversity and Social Transformation Professor of Psychology, University of Michigan, Co-Author, Unpacking the Mascot Debate: Native American Identification Predicts Opposition to Native Mascots 

But, yeah, your perspective is more important.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

I can't seem to muster the energy of getting upset over changing the name. They could rename the Jets to the New York Sh*tstains tomorrow. I wouldn't like it, but they're still gonna play football.

I'd be more upset at a color pallate change than a name change.

NY (insert name), but still play in Green + White = meh, ok.

NY Jets, but uniforms are purple and yellow?  Nooooooooooo!

And of course, the LA Jets would be the worst.  Not NY, not following them anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

It did prove my point... if you don't get it .maybe you're just one of the Sheep? So go follow along and say what you think is correct and acceptable  according to the latest media.

My girlfriend is Hispanic my kids are Italian, I'm Irish and German and most of my friends are Black.

I could care less what you think. Stick it up your ass Mr. Politically correct. I don't have to like everybody we all don't have to get along and that's reality. go save some whales or something LOL. Get yourself some solar panels

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK BUT I'M ALSO GOING TO CURSE YOU OFF AND CALL YOU NAMES.

That, in your mind, Darth Vader wearing a black spacesuit is the same as the word Redskins, tells anyone with a functioning brain all they need to know about your opinions.  That you think you've proven anything is somewhat irrelevant.  I don't think anyone else, besides you, does.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I guess none of them are signed on this letter to the NFL:

But, yeah, your perspective is more important.

No actually none of those people are from Long Island or the poospatuck or Shinnecock reservation. In fact if you look it's a bunch of University professors from Colorado, Chicago and Michigan and whatnot. Sorry but I don't see any of my friends names that I recognize on there.

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK BUT I'M ALSO GOING TO CURSE YOU OFF AND CALL YOU NAMES.

That, in your mind, Darth Vader wearing a black spacesuit is the same as the word Redskins, tells anyone with a functioning brain all they need to know about your opinions.  That you think you've proven anything is somewhat irrelevant.  I don't think anyone else, besides you, does.

Well then Cheerio!

2 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

No actually none of those people are from Long Island or the poospatuck or Shinnecock reservation. In fact if you look it's a bunch of University professors from Colorado, Chicago and Michigan and whatnot. Sorry but I don't see any of my friends names that I recognize on there.

As noted above, the Shinnecock expressed agreement with the general idea of that latter (objecting to things like Redskins) on their Facebook page repeated.

If they weren't offended by the name, why would their Facebook page be linking articles and videos expressing offense at these logos/names?

12 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I can't seem to muster the energy of getting upset over changing the name. They could rename the Jets to the New York Sh*tstains tomorrow. I wouldn't like it, but they're still gonna play football.

newjerseyjets.jpg

That's New JERSEY Sh*tstains, bub.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I didn't curse anybody off! LOL

I made a joke and said because Darth Vader wears black and is voiced by a black man is that also going to be considered racist?

It was a reference to the ridiculousness .

Trust me anybody with a functioning brain got my point.

I'm sorry that you did not-

3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Alright fine...   I concede there were other cool players in that horrible baby blue color.  ?

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I mean, I've remained a Jets fan through so much worse. Couldn't care less about the name. Agree that if they moved out of the NYC area, then I'd be done.

This

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Ahem......Earl Campbell says Hi Lurker

1 hour ago, ljr said:

when men were men and football was football!

indeed!!!

on a side note I was wondering about the Seminoles....       and found this...   pretty much what I had speculated before I read it...

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/seminoles/2020/07/10/why-florida-state-seminole-tribe-stand-behind-the-seminoles-nickname/

“Florida State University’s official use of the Seminole name is different from other names in that it does not perpetuate offensive racial stereotypes nor is it meant to diminish or trivialize any Native American or indigenous peoples. Instead, it is used with explicit tribal permission and involvement to honor and promote the Seminole Tribe of Florida’s unconquered history and spirit that persists to this day.”

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who determines what a racial slur is.

Who determines at what a person has the right to be offended about?

16 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

The Washington Sun Burns

reds.jpg

Nope.

I think it's going to be the Washington Reds.  Just like Cincinnati.  Except in Washington.  And for football.  Instead of baseball. 

Tweak the logo, remove a word fragment, "R" helmet logo, no face, no feathers, no spears, done.

SAR I