Trevor Lawrence vs Sam Darnold - who would you rather have?

Who is better  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Jets QB?

On 7/29/2020 at 7:52 AM, JiF said:

Laughable?  Let me play this out for you;

Justin Fields was a 5 star recruit, #1 at his position and then #2 prospect in the entire country.  He's the odds on favorite to win the Heisman and OSU is probably the odds on favorite to win the Nat'y, because of Fields.  

Sam Darnold was a 4 star recruit, #9 at his position and #179 prospect in the entire country.

Technically, by the #'s, Fields is a much better prospect. 

How many stars did Brady or Montana have??

5 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Not to overreact, but number 1 pick isn't that unlikely.

Especially if the injuries - specifically on the offensive side - continue to add up. 

I don't think Trevor is an improvement, especially without a good coach on his side. He's inheriting the same mess. So i'd prefer to keep Darnold and build around him. 

Trevor is considered the better prospect plus he'd be cheaper (rookie contract for 4 more years).  Also, we can wipe the slate clean with a brand new HC if we're in position to draft him (which, again, I don't think we will be). 

That is not to criticize Sam though (who I still am a believer in).  I think he needs a new HC and better weapons.  Luckily we have the draft capital and salary cap next year to quickly improve.

Just now, predator_05 said:

To be fair, scouting has improved massively since then. Today's front offices wouldn't miss a Tom Brady. 

Strongly disagree on your 2nd sentence.  Brady was hardly a physical specimen and wouldn't fit the profile of a QB that would succeed in today's NFL (one who is athletic enough to buy time).

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Trevor is considered the better prospect plus he'd be cheaper.  Also, we can wipe the slate clean with a brand new HC if we're in position to draft him (which, again, I don't think we will be). 

That is not to criticize Sam though (who I still am a believer in).  I think he needs a new HC and better weapons.  Luckily we have the draft capital and salary cap next year to quickly improve.

What about Fields? Is he better than Darnold? 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Strongly disagree on your 2nd sentence.  Brady was hardly a physical specimen and wouldn't fit the profile of a QB that would succeed in today's NFL (one who is athletic enough to buy time).

What i am saying is that today's scouts have more information and data available to them. They're more likely to spot a 'brady' before the 6th round. Back then, player evaluation was much more simplistic. 

In some ways, Brady broke the mould in how scouts view the position: now they're more likely to value 'intangibles', and reach on imperfect prospects. An accurate pocket-passer who played well in big games, like Brady, will always be good in the NFL. Athleticism, even today, doesn't define the QB position. 

2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

What i am saying is that today's scouts have more information and data available to them. They're more likely to spot a 'brady' before the 6th round. Back then, player evaluation was much more simplistic. 

In some ways, Brady broke the mould in how scouts view the position: now they're more likely to value 'intangibles', and reach on imperfect prospects. An accurate pocket-passer who played well in big games, like Brady, will always be good in the NFL. Athleticism, even today, doesn't define the QB position. 

I still disagree.  I think scouts believe that a QB in today's NFL needs to be mobile and able to throw well on the run.  Brady would've still be a late-round guy (if even considered to be draftable).  How many classic drop-back passers get drafted in the early rounds these days?

On 7/29/2020 at 7:16 AM, predator_05 said:

More than half the respondents ready to give up on Darnold if Lawrence is available. 

Is he really that much better?

The strongest argument has to be contract-related: Lawrence, by giving you a fresh start will take your mind off the upcoming contract extension for Darnold. 

**Jim Mora voice** Extension?! You kidding me?!

• Haha 2

We drafted Darnold with a lame duck head coach, lousy OL and mediocre at best WRs.  Finally in year 3 he has a good OL but it still needs to gel.   The WRs are worse now than they were in his rookie season.  The coach isn’t the right fit.  

Darnold has his flaws and we can draft another QB but unless we upgrade our coaching staff and WRs it does nothing.  

If Darnold has a good year you trade him for 2 first and 2 seconds. Then you draft Lawrence. You keep Lawrence for 4 years and then flip him for 3 firsts and 2 seconds. Rinse and repeat for 10 Super Bowls and 4 different QBs
This contradicts itself. If darnold has a good year we do not have the first pick and will have no chance of getting lawrence. The flip side is if darnold does not have a good year his value will not likely be that high as teams would expect us to draft a QB and would low-ball their offers. There would be much higher value in my opinion in trading the pick and building around darnold. Either way this whole convo is null and void because we will not get the first pick we are not the worst team in the nfl despite the showing we had yesterday

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

This contradicts itself. If darnold has a good year we do not have the first pick and will have no chance of getting lawrence. The flip side is if darnold does not have a good year his value will not likely be that high as teams would expect us to draft a QB and would low-ball their offers. There would be much higher value in my opinion in trading the pick and building around darnold. Either way this whole convo is null and void because we will not get the first pick we are not the worst team in the nfl despite the showing we had yesterday

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

No, you trade him if he has a good year either for 1 overall or for enough picks to move to 1 overall. If he has great value then you can get good picks for him. The key is to never pay the QB his second contract and always have draft assets to rebuild the team with young talent. It’s a weird analytic persons dream.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:52 AM, JiF said:

Laughable?  Let me play this out for you;

Justin Fields was a 5 star recruit, #1 at his position and then #2 prospect in the entire country.  He's the odds on favorite to win the Heisman and OSU is probably the odds on favorite to win the Nat'y, because of Fields.  

Sam Darnold was a 4 star recruit, #9 at his position and #179 prospect in the entire country.

Technically, by the #'s, Fields is a much better prospect. 

lol

2 down votes for this...

Meanwhile, Kyler Murrary, Lamar Jackson, Pat Mahomes are probably going to battle it out for MVP.  You know how plays a lot like those 3?  Justin Fields.

Shame the the Big 10 are bunch of morons.  I know everyone is in love with Lawrence but I'd be real curious to see if that opinion changes and starts to sway toward Fields with another year of film under your belt.  I personally am not impressed with Lawrence and the way teams are using college offenses to break these amazing talents into the league, Fields is very intriguing.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:24 AM, JiF said:

No doubt.  The tape will equate to Lawrence going #1 and Fields going #2.  lol

Like I said, right now I'd take Sam because I've seen him flash in the pros IMO an almost like Rodgers like ceiling or maybe Romo to be more fair since Rodgers is the best talent I've ever seen at QB.  And at the end of the day, that just holds more weight than the maybe of Lawrence and Fields.  Subject to change but that's where I'm at a now. 

Hell, I'd take Sam over Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Love too, just like Baker, Allen and call me crazy, maybe even Jackson.

On 7/29/2020 at 11:27 AM, JiF said:

Basically if I'm starting a franchise right now, all things the same and I'm building for a future long term Patriots-esque minus the cheating, run, I'd take:

Mahomes, Watson, Wentz, Darnold, Jackson - everyone else is too old.

So gfy anyone who thinks I'm hating on our boy.

:-) 

And now I will eat crow.

FU SAM!!!!!!!!!

Can I just get my Penei Sewell shares early? Move Becton to RT and have bookends for a decade

I've never thought Darnold was worth much but for all those "the Jets ruined Darnold" folks, wouldn't it be better to build the Line up and then get the rookie Qb and then load up with FA targets etc 

instead of doing it all backward like they just did getting Darnold and having a terrible "supporting cast" 

I mean, I wouldn't pass on Lawrence, just hope they draft 2 overall or whatever with a "meaningless" win 

6 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

What's the fn point if we dont have the infrastructure in place to develop them?

Because how often do you get a chance to draft a potential FQB?  It's the single most valuable piece there is in the sport.  How many other positions could a player get paid half a billion dollars?

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Trevor is considered the better prospect plus he'd be cheaper (rookie contract for 4 more years).  Also, we can wipe the slate clean with a brand new HC if we're in position to draft him (which, again, I don't think we will be). 

Extending Sam on the cheap might allow us to keep him as Trevor's backup. Let them battle it out in next years trainging camp .. may the best man win.

Edited by Dunnie

8 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

The problem is not Darnold. The problem is Gase and the front office. Darnold would be a superstar in any other midly intelligent organization. Period. 

I don’t think it really matters whether that’s true or not because if we can’t make it work with him here, what are we even doing at that point? keeping him any way because he’s the #3 overall pick that we put all our eggs in the basket on?

Yeah, If I’m JD & I don’t feel good enough about Darnold at the end of the season, or I feel stronger about the direction of this franchise with Trevor Lawrence...I’m trading up to get him if I’m not already sitting with the #1 pick in 2021.

The truth of the matter is that this forsaken organization would have trumped the careers of the likes of Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Pat Mahomes, and any other QB that we were ever sort of in the run for. 

We had Sanchez, who was a middle of the road serviceable QB, and this organization did everything possible to eff him up. 

Now it has done the same thing for Darnold. 

6 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

The truth of the matter is that this forsaken organization would have trumped the careers of the likes of Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Pat Mahomes, and any other QB that we were ever sort of in the run for. 

We had Sanchez, who was a middle of the road serviceable QB, and this organization did everything possible eff him up. 

Now it has done the same thing for Darnold. 

Remind me again how he did at every other stop after the Jets?

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remind me again how he did at every other stop after the Jets?

by that time the Jets had already effed him....again he was a middle of the road serviceable QB, and the Jets little by little did all they could to disrupt his development......and they are doing it again to that poor Darnold.