The number 1 ranked played for 2020

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Lamar Jackson is a running back.  I can feel his ACL popping 400 miles away. 

SAR I

I agree. He certainly was extremely dynamic last year but his style of play may catch up to him. It might not be long until the league figures him out. If you polled all the NFL GMs in the league if they’d rather have Mahomes or Lamar it’d be a unanimous decision 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

I won't crap on Jackson like some other have in this thread, and while I still have my doubts about him, winning the MVP certainly validates a high ranking.

#1 does feel like it's due to recency bias, though.

seems the appropriate place to rank the former year's MVP...   to me

• Upvote 1

Just now, nycdan said:

Fair argument normally.  But would you, or any GM, or any HC in the league, pick Lamar Jackson over Pat Mahomes as their starting QB this season?  Would you take Russ Wilson or Aaron Donald before Mahomes in a full league redraft?  Putting Mahomes at #1 doesn't shock and therefore doesn't get clicks.  Welcome to a world where everything is for sale to the most frequent clicker.

Honestly if we are saying put the player on this jets roster for one season I would pick Russ over mahomes. 

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Fair argument normally.  But would you, or any GM, or any HC in the league, pick Lamar Jackson over Pat Mahomes as their starting QB this season?  Would you take Russ Wilson or Aaron Donald before Mahomes in a full league redraft?  Putting Mahomes at #1 doesn't shock and therefore doesn't get clicks.  Welcome to a world where everything is for sale to the most frequent clicker.

i guess, to me, since i dont consider these lists important... i tned to quibble less...    and not think tat hard...   but your argument for mahomes is certainly a good one

25 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

1) Mahomes
2) LJAX
3) Donald
4) Russell

5) Kittle

LJAX at 1 is fine because he's the MVP and it'll get clicks, but it's deliberately disingenuous. 

The order the players are ranked has nothing to do with clicks.  This list is made by the players based on their votes.  Always has been.

And players are notoriously subjective, reactionary and poor predictors of future performance.  Josh Norman was once # 11 on this list.  Blake Bortles was once # 56.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GreekJet said:

The Jets (among many other teams) had the chance to draft 1,2, and 4.

So did virtually ever other NFL team.  I do not remember a ground swell of support for drafting of Mahomes in 2017 (Watson had some support) nor was there a collective moan when they didn't.  Wilson was a 3rd round pick.  Every NFL team passed on him twice and some three times.  I'm not completely definitive in taking Jackson over Darnold right now given the short shelf life for running QBs.  Revisionist history is so easy.  Passing on Mahomes, Wilson, and Jackson was not an O'Brien over Marino moment, or a Kyle Brady over Sapp moment ....

No Jets in the top 100, as stupid as this list can be, shows how much work there is to do on this roster and how lacking in talent this team is ......Adams or no Adams.

17 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I agree. He certainly was extremely dynamic last year but his style of play may catch up to him. It might not be long until the league figures him out. If you polled all the NFL GMs in the league if they’d rather have Mahomes or Lamar it’d be a unanimous decision 

it caught up to mike vick quickly

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The order the players are ranked has nothing to do with clicks.  This list is made by the players based on their votes.  Always has been.

And players are notoriously subjective, reactionary and poor predictors of future performance.  Josh Norman was once # 11 on this list.  Blake Bortles was once # 56.

The point is, he’s not the best player in the league. He’s damn close and had the best regular season in the league last year, but a league MVP and a SB MVP in consecutive years to start a career beats that.

I just read that this poll was done in November, when BAL was on a 9-2 tear and Mahomes was just coming back from him injury.  That explains a lot of why the ranking is what it is, but exposes a definite flaw in the process that they do it mid-season.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The point is, he’s not the best player in the league. He’s damn close and had the best regular season in the league last year, but a league MVP and a SB MVP in consecutive years to start a career beats that.

Preaching to the choir on this one.  Its Mahomes for sure.  I'm cool with Lamar being # 2 or 3 (behind Wilson).

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I just read that this poll was done in November, when BAL was on a 9-2 tear and Mahomes was just coming back from him injury.  That explains a lot of why the ranking is what it is, but exposes a definite flaw in the process that they do it mid-season.

Very true.  How can you do a "best player in 2020" poll without all the information?

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

A running back that threw for 36 TDs?

Yes.  When the LB's and DB's see him coming towards the line, they hesitate, not sure if he's going to throw or run.  Cheap TD's aplenty.

When the day comes that he gets injured and he's not a running threat, oops, hello RGIII.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Preaching to the choir on this one.  Its Mahomes for sure.  I'm cool with Lamar being # 2 or 3 (behind Wilson).

Very obviously it's Mahomes.  Do these players think the Ravens wouldn't trade Lamar Jackson for Mahomes?  And you can replace Lamar Jackson with any player in the league.

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

He deserved it this year. Anyone denying that is just a hater.

"Oh, he's not good because he could get hurt because he runs!"

Okay? So?

It's completely bewildering. To call a guy who won the MVP last year and had an amazing offensive year with no real legit #1 WR not a 'good' QB, yet the SAME people will look through a pinhole to attempt to justify Darnold not being one of the worst QBs in the NFL so far. Totally mindboggling.

• Upvote 1