Quinnen Williams: Zero pressure today against 2nd team OL

I was a Josh Allen man, myself...

I was trade down for $.70 on the dollar and go grab Bradberry or Cody Ford.
I almost cried when we stood pat and picked Q. Almost.

That said he will have 8 1/2 sacks this year with 10 tfl so everyone can stop crying. He’s fine.

Sam- 4080 yds 34/11
It’s all gooood

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You missed the giant thread where we were debating things like rooting for losses when you know the season is over so you can get a better draft pick and what constitutes a "real fan".

Teams dont tank.  Theres a lot of reasons why teams dont and won't tank and  shouldnt tank.  And why after the fact its easy to say they should have.  Fans want to improve their draft spot because of that reason

NFL teams dont tank.  NBA teams, different story.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Teams dont tank.  Theres a lot of reasons why teams dont and won't tank and  shouldnt tank.  And why after the fact its easy to say they should have.  Fans want to improve their draft spot because of that reason

NFL teams dont tank.  NBA teams, different story.  

It was a discussion about what you should root for, basically, and what's best for the team. Conscious action by the team itself wasn't part of the equation.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

It was a discussion about what you should root for, basically, and what's best for the team. Conscious action by the team itself wasn't part of the equation.

Got it, on that level we agree. 

Would have helped to know the reference I guess, lol

The problem with this fanbase is that people legit believe 7 mil is alot to pay a player

The Jets are 30 million under the cap for no reason I don't want to hear how qw rookie contract is too high

That's true.
Of course, then you shouldn't use a super high 1st rounder on one, and pay him 7.4 million (cap number) to learn the position. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

His problem is in his temperament, and that doesn’t get better over time. Macc and Bowles specialized in drafting nice kids who wouldn’t talk back to Todd, and that doesn’t work as a DL. Quinnen is just a squishy goofball whom Macc gave millions of dollars to. This is Amobi Okoye redux 

for whatever reason this comment rattled around the old duders head

They say Mekhi Becton is a big teddy bear off the field but he's a machine on the field 

Williams is, as you say, a nice person off the field. Time will tell if he has that switch. 

I believe he does... 

not that anyone cares what I think

last year Williams was hurt by the way and he played through it. This is what happens to most Alabama prospects (cough cough dee milliner, jonah williams) the practices are so neanderthal and the competition so intense (8 deep rotation on the D line), and the bribes are so high and the painkilling drugs are pro level, so  these guys get the crap kicked out of them in Tuscaloosa, and end up half hurt as rookies.

and as for expectations Quinnen Williams was never going to be 280 pound Aaron Donald. He's on the Jonathan Allen-plus track a 10 sack guy who also leads in the run game. 

As a rookie QW was part of many run stops including 4th and 1 etc. Everyone says it's about sacks in the top 3 (and it will be) but the Jets had the number 2 run D last season and QW was a part of it. 

all of this is to say for the crap we talk about Qw his rookie year wasn't that bad. This might turn into QW = Drob but i'll take that action.

here's my spicy take Williams was better in year 1 than Leo, Sheldon and even Mo. He's the best DL we've seen for sometime

like Darnold being the best QB1 it's a low bar  

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

They say Mekhi Becton is a big teddy bear off the field but he's a machine on the field 

Williams is, as you say, a nice person off the field. Time will tell if he has that switch. 

I believe he does... 

last year Williams was hurt by the way and he played through it. This is what happens to most Alabama prospects (cough cough dee milliner, jonah williams) the practices are so neanderthal and the competition so intense (8 deep rotation on the D line), and the bribes are so high and the painkilling drugs are pro level, so  these guys get the crap kicked out of them in Tuscaloosa, and end up half hurt as rookies.

and as for expectations Quinnen Williams was never going to be 280 pound Aaron Donald. He's on the Jonathan Allen-plus track a 10 sack guy who also leads in the run game. 

As a rookie QW was part of many run stops including 4th and 1 etc. Everyone says it's about sacks in the top 3 (and it will be) but the Jets had the number 2 run D last season and QW was a part of it. 

all of this is to say for the crap we talk about Qw his rookie year wasn't that bad. It wasn't like he got Mono 

Problem is his position, like adams.  We’ve all hashed this out here ad nauseum.  In the nfl, positional value mattters a lot when drafting.  Take a safety 6tth, he becomes an all pro, then whines.  If this guy were a stud wr the jets would have paid Adams.  even if Q becomes good, they’re not going to pay him a ton of $$ unless he’s just unreal, and that’s really unlikely.  Don’t take interior DL in the top 3.   Don’t take a safety 6th.  

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Problem is his position, like adams.  We’ve all hashed this out here ad nauseum.  In the nfl, positional value mattters a lot when drafting.  Take a safety 6tth, he becomes an all pro, then whines.  If this guy were a stud wr the jets would have paid Adams.  even if Q becomes good, they’re not going to pay him a ton of $$ unless he’s just unreal, and that’s really unlikely.  Don’t take interior DL in the top 3.   Don’t take a safety 6th.  

positional value doesn't change the draft board tho

That was a terrible offensive draft. TJ Hockenson at 8. Jonah Williams at 11. Half the board wanted Jonah Williams who has yet to play a snap in the NFL.  Chris Lindstrom at 14 (played 4 games before IR) C Garrett Bradbury at 18 was an OK pick. 

but to reach for the next best WR in that draft would have been Marquise Brown at 25

some  say they wanted to trade down pennies on the dollar - mac was a moron but even he wasn't that dumb

and in a more general 30,000 foot view, the Jets have the money to pay Jamal, resign Sam, pay Robby, trade for Yannick etc. They can make Williams a highly paid D lineman. They really do have all the room to do all those things. They just choose not to.  

i saw another post someone complaining about Williams rookie contract number. 

the 30 mil they are under at the moment includes dead space for Jamal Adams trade, Quincy cut, Bradley at SS, i.e. they are actually more like 45 mil under when it comes to actual roster spend (not cap space) 

i.e. The financial management of the team should be more concerned about getting above the cap floor not saving even more money by cutting players or letting the stars (at inconvenient positions) walk. All that leads to is CJ Mosely and Trumaine Johnson signings (bell too). Splashes to look like they care but it barely gets them to 93%  

but you are right one day they will tell us all about how QW  at DT is a bad investment and he will walk etc.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

positional value doesn't change the draft board tho

That was a terrible offensive draft. TJ Hockenson at 8. Jonah Williams at 11. Half the board wanted Jonah Williams who has yet to play a snap in the NFL.  Chris Lindstrom at 14 (played 4 games before IR) C Garrett Bradbury at 18 was an OK pick. 

but to reach for the next best WR in that draft would have been Marquise Brown at 25

some  say they wanted to trade down pennies on the dollar - mac was a moron but even he wasn't that dumb

and in a more general 30,000 foot view, the Jets have the money to pay Jamal, resign Sam, pay Robby, trade for Yannick etc. They can make Williams a highly paid D lineman. They really do have all the room to do all those things. They just choose not to.  

i saw another post someone complaining about Williams rookie contract number. 

the 30 mil they are under at the moment includes dead space for Jamal Adams trade, Quincy cut, Bradley at SS, i.e. they are actually more like 45 mil under when it comes to actual roster spend (not cap space) 

i.e. The financial management of the team should be more concerned about getting above the cap floor not saving even more money by cutting players or letting the stars (at inconvenient positions) walk. All that leads to is CJ Mosely and Trumaine Johnson signings (bell too). Splashes to look like they care but it barely gets them to 93%  

but you are right one day they will tell us all about how QW  at DT is a bad investment and he will walk etc.  

Josh allen was the logical pick, edge rusher is a premium position.  Mccagnan never thought this way, which is why he drafted guys like adams and lee and Leo.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Josh allen was the logical pick, edge rusher is a premium position.  Mccagnan never thought this way, which is why he drafted guys like adams and lee and Leo.

Oh he drafted EDGE rushers.  But they were unathletic slugs Lorenzo Mauldin and Jachai Polite, types who never succeed in the NFL.  

I would love to go back to the draft night thread when all of you couldn’t express how excited you were that we got such a steal.

Or at worst I got the argument that he was the best “value” so we had no choice. (Still not sure what that means)

It was a bad pick then as it is now.  

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I believe he does... 

all of this is to say for the crap we talk about Qw his rookie year wasn't that bad. This might turn into QW = Drob but i'll take that action.

here's my spicy take Williams was better in year 1 than Leo, Sheldon and even Mo. He's the best DL we've seen for sometime

like Darnold being the best QB1 it's a low bar  

Better than Sheldon? Wasn’t he DROY?

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

His problem is in his temperament, and that doesn’t get better over time. Macc and Bowles specialized in drafting nice kids who wouldn’t talk back to Todd, and that doesn’t work as a DL. Quinnen is just a squishy goofball whom Macc gave millions of dollars to. This is Amobi Okoye redux 

Simple - just piss him off before and during the game. Who is the most annoying player on the team - get him in his face! image.png.78dbeea5b66a81de544b20b6047816fd.png

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m DYING to know what dumbass team (allegedly) approached Douglas with a massive offer of picks for Quinnen last year and I pray to sweet Jesus that they’re still that thirsty for a porky bust.

“Can’t nobody block me” Robertson will have had a better career than Williams, and he had no knees at the EXACT time another idiot Jet “GM” drafted him.

Pick was just moronic.  If it’s Aaron Donald then you pick a DT that high.  No lesson learned with the Leonard Williams pick?  Then again Williams was consensus and that’s who the Janitor who conned the Silver Spoon stupidest owner in the NFL into hiring him as GM was always going to pick, to try to protect his job.

Also, something about Williams, smiling country boy, just gives me the vibe he won’t translate to the NFL.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yes and yes. Sheldons droy campaign was helped by the 2 rushing td. He had 3.5 sacks that year and 26 on his career. Williams will be better than this in short order. I can't speak to the rushing td tho :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Sheldon was always on the field in 2013.  We didn’t have the same depth on DL we have now