Kalen Ballage

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know any details, so this is pure conjecture, but...

My view on this trade are as follows: 

A little unusual to do this within the division, but this is a fairly standard thing.  Late pick, usually a 6th or 7th, usually conditional on being on the opening day roster.  We knew the guy was being cut, so this is not going to be for a real pick or likely to e obtained. 

The Dolphins get a lottery ticket for a draft pick for a guy that was on his way out the door for nothing,  They get to save a little face by looking like they might get something back, the way the Jets did getting that illusory pick from Gruden for Hackenberg.

The Jets get first dibs before anybody can pick the guy up off of waivers.  There are 10 teams ahead of us?  Gase and/or Loggains obviously liked the guy and he was presumably selected because he is a fit for them.

What usually happens in reality is that the Jets keep him through camp and cut him.  If he shows anything, they either add him to the practice squad or leave him on the street for a week.  Then they take him back and don't necessarily have to give up the pick.  If they make a big trade to move Bell, someone gets hurt or the guy is really balling they they keep him around and won't mind giving up the 7th.

FWIW, he played 50% of the special teams snaps for Gase in 2018.  He had a few tackles and a couple of kick returns.

i love you brother but you provided zero insight that isn't painfully obvious as it applies to any team in any situation. 

This does NOT give us any insight into why we're throwing fkcing picks around at the ONLY position on offense we're reasonably well off in.... I mean fck sakes, we can't even sign a jaggoff like Kevin White, but we'll throw cheddar at 1.8??

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i love you brother but you provided zero insight that isn't painfully obvious as it applies to any team in any situation. 

This does NOT give us any insight into why we're throwing fkcing picks around at the ONLY FCKING position on offense we're reasonably well off in.... I mean fck sakes, we can't even sign a jaggoff like Kevin White, but we'll throw cheddar at 1.8??

this is gase not trying to make amends for letting drake rot and seeing him flourish in AZ -he needs to show the world he was right  for playing ballage over drake lol

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

this is gase not trying to make amends for letting drake rot and seeing him flourish in AZ -he needs to show the world he was right  for playing ballage over drake lol

i don't know much about MIA's offensive scheme last year, but I got intimate with K.B's tape at ARZ ST... he's not pure RB, he's athlete playing RB who's at his best with a head of steam and some space. He can do damage and blow through tacklers in a spread/passing game capacity. He shares more in common with a guy like Patterson lining up in the backfield than any true running back. He's a role player at best, who (if ever) would find success in a more ARZ (ironically) style offense. 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This does NOT give us any insight into why we're throwing fkcing picks around at the ONLY FCKING position on offense we're reasonably well off in.... I mean fck sakes, we can't even sign a jaggoff like Kevin White, but we'll throw cheddar at 1.8??

He’s 6’2, 222 lbs, sub-7 3-cone, 4.46/40. This is our JALEN HURD YOU INGRAAAATE

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

No, it doesn't, and its indeed odd.  But this move does nothing to prevent the team from making a move for a WR. 

Dom's point, that this is a rather routine practice in the NFL, demonstrates that this is just "routine maintenance" roster stuff, and no big deal.  Yet people are flipping out and thinking this means Bell is gone, lol.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

What insight am I supposed to provide?  I started this thread when I read he might get cut because it seemed very obvious that this was a guy that Gase/Loggains might really like.  That point of that post is that it is unlikely that they will end up giving up the pick.  Josh Adams is dinged.  That is why they brought in Guerrero, the kid from Monmouth.  I get that Ballage is a boom or bust guy that seems to be a bust, but c'mon.  This is a nothing trade.  Very little to complain about, yet we still do.

Guerriero and Ballage are high-end athletes, at least. That’s a nice change

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, it doesn't, and its indeed odd.  But this move does nothing to prevent the team from making a move for a WR. 

Dom's point, that this is a rather routine practice in the NFL, demonstrates that this is just "routine maintenance" roster stuff, and no big deal.  Yet people are flipping out and thinking this means Bell is gone, lol.  

I don't take it to mean anything more than it is, bottom roster move... the reason it's a story, is the timing and our challenges at other positions. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s 6’2, 222 lbs, sub-7 3-cone, 4.46/40. This is our JALEN HURD YOU INGRAAAATE

If you don't think i pulled my pork to KB, you don't know me very well. Trust me. Kleenex was consumed... but it doesn't change what he is; the walmart edition. 

And we don't speak of you know who anymore. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What insight am I supposed to provide?  I started this thread when I read he might get cut because it seemed very obvious that this was a guy that Gase/Loggains might really like.  That point of that post is that it is unlikely that they will end up giving up the pick.  Josh Adams is dinged.  That is why they brought in Guerrero, the kid from Monmouth.  I get that Ballage is a boom or bust guy that seems to be a bust, but c'mon.  This is a nothing trade.  Very little to complain about, yet we still do.

it's the need at WR that's putting this under the microscope. Some a$$hole named Jeff Smith (yea right, has anyone actually seen this person) is taking reps while my boy Hardy or even Jazz Ferguson who balled out last TC is riding the corduroy at home. 

It's trash. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do we have a 7th rounder to burn for a trade like this, even a conditional one?

We still don't know if the 7th rounder ended up coming our way from Seattle in the Parry Nickerson trade from 2019.  At least not according to this:

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Future/Jets.htm

Round 7
Jets

Jets

Seahawks

Seahawks

Jets

Jets (conditional)

PICK MAY OR MAY NOT TRANSFER DEPENDING ON UNCONFIRMED CONDITIONS

Traded • Parry Nickerson to Seahawks for • 2021 conditional seventh round pick (?-?) on 2019-08-31

Conditions on pick are unconfirmed.

The Seahawks cut Nickerson last September.  I find it unlikely that we will get that pick.  There is nothing to indicate that Ballage was a 2021 pick anyway.  I have not seen that reported.  The Jets traded Nickerson in August 2019 for a 2021 conditional, and for Demaryius Thomas around the same time for a 2021 6.  Why couldn't this be a 2022?  I have also seen teams do something along the line of the lowest available pick because they can trade comp picks now.  

I don't think you can really even try to figure the comp picks out until after week 10, but we still have our 7th.  They lost Anderson, Compton and Shell, but signed McGovern, Fant, Perriman and Van Roten.  Right now we are a net gain (Fant per overthecap).  We are still stacked next year - our 1 through 7, the Seahawks 1 and 3, the Giants 5 and possibly that Seahawks 7.  We even got the Demaryius Thomas 6 back from New England in the trade down that got them Morgan and Clark.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

it's the need at WR that's putting this under the microscope. Some a$$hole named Jeff Smith (yea right, has anyone actually seen this person) is taking reps while my boy Hardy or even Jazz Ferguson who balled out last TC is riding the corduroy at home. 

It's trash. 

The 49ers are in even more dire straits at WR than we are and still opted for Kevin White over Justin Hardy.  The same Kevin White that has a total of 8 NFL catches since 2017.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's trash. 

I PICKED HIM IN THE JN MOCK, YOU ****!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

This does NOT give us any insight into why we're throwing fkcing picks around at the ONLY position on offense we're reasonably well off in.... I mean fck sakes, we can't even sign a jaggoff like Kevin White, but we'll throw cheddar at 1.8??

I think they should trade/sign more DTs too.  Reports being that Quinnen Williams having problems handling back-up OL.

Then go get some more slow RBs.  Rinse repeat.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drums said:

This I can understand but still

Agreed.  You don't see too many teams trade (even conditional picks) for a depth guy on Special Teams.

I'd be very interested to see what the conditions of the trade are...... Maybe if he's on the 53-man roster for Week 1 the Dolphins get a 7th.  I'd guess something like that.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We already have depth at rb.  If a cyclone of injuries happens and we need a back in November this guy will still be available and know the offense

Why not sign another WR instead? I hope this doesn't mean Gase and Bell are already done with each other.

52 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I think they should trade/sign more DTs too.  Reports being that Quinnen Williams having problems handling back-up OL.

Then go get some more slow RBs.  Rinse repeat.

Slow RBs?  I get that Ballage has not been successful, but he has like a 96th percentile speed score.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Ballage is trash

College stats below not bad with 20 rushing TDs in last 2 years and for a couple seasons averaged over 10 yards per attempt in receiving. Maybe he puts it together with Jets. I think moves like this could be indicating with the play of our other 3 RBs and the issues at passing that may take some time is that maybe we will be a running team for the most part in 2020. Heck, it made Tannehill look like one of the best QBs around as it usually does for most QBs. Besides our Oline will be much better at run blocking for the majority of this season anyway. 

Collegiate statistics[edit]

Kalen Ballage Rushing Receiving
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD
2014 Arizona State Pac-12 FR RB 11 42 126 3.0 3 6 64 10.7 1
2015 Arizona State Pac-12 SO RB 10 125 653 5.2 4 12 60 5.0 0
2016 Arizona State Pac-12 JR RB 12 126 536 4.3 14 44 469 10.7 1
2017 Arizona State Pac-12 SR RB 13 157 669 4.3 6 20 91 4.6 0
Career Arizona State   46 450 1,984 4.4 27 82 684 8.3 2

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

Why not sign another WR instead? I hope this doesn't mean Gase and Bell are already done with each other.

Sounds like Bell’s days here are numbered.  Perine has looked good in practices, Gore is still serviceable and Ballage is decent depth.  Our new OL could make any back look good

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1