Game Observations (BUF)

KRL

jtex nani- if you take out his garbage time drive (8/8, 58 yards), he threw for 88 yards on 26 passes, just 3.4 per attempt.

this is why regular qb rating scuks. it accepts w/o context the last meaningless drive...  qbr gives you almost nothing for that drive...as is right....  the game was over...  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  have to, I know what I saw and was saying g this to my girlfriend the entire game. Every receiver has a bills defender on his ass. 

I think what you saw and what you are wishing for are two different things. Sam was a complete dumpster fire yesterday, no way to sugar coat it. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

jtex nani- if you take out his garbage time drive (8/8, 58 yards), he threw for 88 yards on 26 passes, just 3.4 per attempt.

this is why regular qb rating scuks. it accepts w/o context the last meaningless drive...  qbr gives you almost nothing for that drive...as is right....  the game was over...  

Why are we over analyzing 3 incompletions? Like do you think QBs hit every throw? he had a stinker of a cold streak to start the day. It sucked, lets not make it something that it inst thought. Darnold has proven that he makes those 3 throws in his sleep, he was bad yesterday. You guys are acting like no other QBs have bad games. Let's see how the rest of the NFL looks vs. this Buffalo D. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Langi is on my sh*t list. I thought he was terrible today. 

Austin looked like a legit CB. 

Langi's RedZone pass break up stood out to me as a positive ... I wasn't really focused in him otherwise so I may have missed the suck.... There was so much of it to go around.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

The offense looked unprepared, and worse, it looked as if they knew they were overmatched.  I think darnold gets into a mode during games where the jets are far behind where he feels he’s got to do it all himself, instead of just trying to get first downs.  But these coaches should have designed some shorter pass plays to get them going early on.

I think the problem with the Jets offense is they try to setup the pass with the run, teams stack the box on us so those short little passes usually don't work. For once I'd love to see them open up with a fly pattern to stretch the field get the DB's and LB's to back off a step or two. As I watched the other games yesterday and I counted numerous  short dumps, screens and slants go for tons of yards while teh Jets are usually stopped immediately due to all the congestion near the LOS. If you don't throw deep there will be no success in the flat. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

I think the problem with the Jets offense is they try to setup the pass with the run, teams stack the box on us so those short little passes usually don't work. For once I'd love to see them open up with a fly pattern to stretch the field get the DB's and LB's to back off a step or two. As I watched the other games yesterday and I counted numerous  short dumps, screens and slants go for tons of yards while teh Jets are usually stopped immediately due to all the congestion near the LOS. If you don't throw deep there will be no success in the flat. 

The jets have no speed on offense and in a league where defenses are exceptionally athletic, you need guys to make the defense change what they do.  The jets are slow at rb and wr.  They needed mims and even vincent smith to run go routes and open up that defense.  Bell and gore are too slow as a tandem in today’s nfl.  Herndon is below average as we saw yesterday.  You can get away with one but the entire offense is slow.  Then you watch Robbie Anderson score a few tds and you realize why the jets suck.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets have no speed on offense and in a league where defenses are exceptionally athletic, you need guys to make the defense change what they do.  The jets are slow at rb and wr.  They needed mims and even vincent smith to run go routes and open up that defense.  Bell and gore are too slow as a tandem in today’s nfl.  Herndon is below average as we saw yesterday.  You can get away with one but the entire offense is slow.  Then you watch Robbie Anderson score a few tds and you realize why the jets suck.  

Isn't that what they brought Perriman in to do . If he's in the starting lineup then use him to his skill set

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Then you watch Robbie Anderson score a few tds and you realize why the jets suck.  

Robby Anderson was one of the key reasons why the Jets won 7 games last season, and he was not signed.

in 2021 or later it will not matter if RA was on the team in 2020, but he could have helped make the team much better this year.

Maybe that was the idea.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Perriman might be the fastest player in the league. 

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Actually the Jets have amazing speed at WR, they are all just injured right now, and Perriman is very fast as well.

You get what you expect. 

I don't see why anybody expected much different.  Darnold had a fairly sh*tty game, but there were a bunch of passes that were catchable, that we didn't come down with.  I don't think he was as bad as most of you are saying, but he wasn't good.  I don't see why this should come as a surprise.

They were playing the Bills.  The Bills have a stout D.  The Jets new offensive line needs time to gel and wasn't going to push them around.  This wasn't the game to expect the run game to carry us.  The WRs have been hurt all camp.  Darnold scrambles around and then tries to drop balls in.  This requires guys who can catch will work to the whistle.  It also requires guys to be in synch with the QB.  That isn't going to happen when all the WRs were out for camp.  Crowder and Herndon were there in camp and supposed to be reliable.  Both missed several catchable balls.  You can't call everything a drop, but balls like the one Hogan couldn't toetap in the endzone are difficult, but can be the difference between a good game and an atrocity.

On D, things might be bad at all.  The Bills are a tough matchup.  The Jets stopped the run, but had a ton of difficulty with Allen shrugging off tackles and running.  Garoppolo has 125 career rushing yards.  If we can stop the backs and concentrate on the passing game, we can keep things in check.  I'm glad they realized Desir had to go.  I was screaming it for a quarter before he was pulled.  Austin did look good.  We have to remember though, as with Cashman, he was supposed to be able to play, the question is whether he can stay healthy.

Probably another tall order against the Niners.  The Cards got a ton of rushing yards, but most were from Murray. 

16 hours ago, KRL said:

Here's the observation, an absolutely pathetic, putrid and trash
performance by everyone in a Jet uniform.  After choosing not to
come out for the National Anthem (don't get me started) they
should've stayed in there for the rest of the game.  A totally
fake final score of 27-17 hides the total no show effort:

Special Teams

- The first play of the game should've been a sign, Josh Malone
returns the KO outside the 30.  Decent field position, but of
course there's a holding penalty.  So they start at the 9, typical.
Credit to Malone because that was the only semblance of a return
all game.  I know Ashtyn Davis was a hurdler in college but that
needs to be left on the track.  He got his bell rung because he
stupidly tried to hurdle a tackler

- Unfortunately we saw way too much of Braden Mann.  Good job by
him (46.3 avg) but no one wants to see a punter that much

- Sam Ficken was perfect in all his attempts (FG, 2 XP's) but so
what

Defense

- Poor job by the defense in containing Josh Allen's running game
in the first half

- As usual no front seven pressure which allowed Allen way too much
time in the pocket

- Is Blake Cashman's body allergic to artificial turf?  He gets one
snap into the season and he's hurt again?  He now has become the 
"Caucasian Dee Milliner", you have a shot to solidify a starting
job and you can't stay on the field.  Give me a break 

- An excellent Trumaine Johnson impersonation by Pierre Desir and
that's not a good thing.  So poor of a performance that Gregg
Williams pulls him for Nate Hairston

- Marcus Maye filled the hybrid role as expected and had a good
game: 10 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 2 TFL, 2 Passes Defensed and 2 QB Hits

- Bless Austin earned a starting job and then backed it up with:
8 Tackles and 1 TFL

- Brian Poole had a costly holding penalty in the red zone which
cost the team a TD.  But he was productive with: 9 Tackles, 1 Sack,
1 TFL and 1 Pass Defensed

Offense

- What offense?  A total nonsensical plan to start the game.  The
only groups that were able to stay on the field during camp was
the OLine, TE's, RB's and Darnold.  Why not test the conditioning
of BUF defense and run the ball?  Nope, let's spread out and have
BUF test our pass protection with blitzes.  How did that work?
They didn't get a first down until two minutes left in the first
quarter

- Jamison Crowder was the only offensive player who put up decent
numbers (7 rec, 115 yds, TD) and he even had a couple of drops

- Chris Herndon was a non-factor (6 rec, 37 yds) with a costly
fumble.  And NOT ONE target for Ryan Griffin?  Can someone explain
this to me?

- Breshad Perriman also was a non-factor (3 recs, 17 yds)   

- Sam Darnold was horrible I don't care what his stats were (21/35,
215 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT).  You are now three years in the league, you
can't have a delay of game penalty on the first play of a drive with
NO CROWD NOISE.  Also, you can't take a sack by running out of bounds
when you can throw it away.  And finally you can not throw that INT
when you have an easy run in front of you that can pick up the first
down.  Totally inaccurate in the first half and definitely the far
inferior QB.  I am now officially concerned about what Darnold is
and what he'll become

and what he'll become

Nice kid but, maybe he's just not that smart?

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Which is irrelevant if you don’t use it.

Make up your mind dude.  Is the problem that they are slow or that they "don't use it?" 

This team is actually stacked with speed at WR.  Most are hurt.  Perriman is a rocket.  I don't think anybody ever questioned his game speed, just the rest of his game.  You are acting like the problem is that they managed the roster to have slow receivers.  They went into the offseason with Perriman (4.29), Vincent Smith (4.33), Mims (4.38) and Jeff Smith (4.34) as their top options as outside receivers.  When they started looking for injury replacements the picked up Moncrief (4.4) and Hogan (4.50).  They did seem to emphasize size with the later pickups.  Hogan and Jaleel Scott are both on the big-huge side, as is Moncrief.  There is plenty to complain about regarding how the WR room was constructed, but the idea that they didn't look to add speed is way off.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Make up your mind dude.  Is the problem that they are slow or that they "don't use it?" 

This team is actually stacked with speed at WR.  Most are hurt.  Perriman is a rocket.  I don't think anybody ever questioned his game speed, just the rest of his game.  You are acting like the problem is that they managed the roster to have slow receivers.  They went into the offseason with Perriman (4.29), Vincent Smith (4.33), Mims (4.38) and Jeff Smith (4.34) as their top options as outside receivers.  When they started looking for injury replacements the picked up Moncrief (4.4) and Hogan (4.50).  They did seem to emphasize size with the later pickups.  Hogan and Jaleel Scott are both on the big-huge side, as is Moncrief.  There is plenty to complain about regarding how the WR room was constructed, but the idea that they didn't look to add speed is way off.

The guys on the field yesterday were mostly slow.  Perriman is fast but if you don’t use that speed, so what.  It makes the jets a far easier team to defend if nobody goes deep.  

Here’s my 2 cents...for whatever it’s worth.

On Offence:

All opposing defences seem to know what our deficiencies seem to be and that’s not having enough wide receiver threat. Many times you saw the bills defence stacking the box basically daring Sam to throw deep. So stacking the box makes the running game ineffective. 

On defence:

There’s simply no pressure coming from the D-line. Nothing. No pressure. I didn’t watch the game live I recorded it. If you did the same and have a chance, just press pause every time the ball is snapped into Josh Allen‘s hands. You’ll realize that he’s got ample time to scan the field and look at his second and sometimes even third options. 
pretty sad to see.

Let’s hope that the O-line gets better. I expect them to. That’ll get Sam more time to throw. The play calling has to be more creative however. They’re too predictable. 

Coach Williams has to find a pass rush from somewhere. Q Williams May be talented but it’s becoming more and more apparent that he’s not the one man wrecking crew we all hoped for. (Nice pick Macc)

Anyway, it’s only the first game. Everyone relax. This team isn’t a playoff contender but they NEED TO PLAY COMPETITIVE FOOTBALL. That is not what we saw yesterday. I saw lotta players miss tackles, commit stupid penalties and worst of all Miss assignments. 
It seems like one of the issues  with a Gase- run team is that they start slow, and don’t adjust quickly enough. I’m getting rather impatient with this pattern.

On to San  Fran

On 9/13/2020 at 8:33 PM, bitonti said:

What does Vegas know anyway?

/s

This team might be the worst one we've seen since kotite. But don't point that out because Jets fans would rather shoot the messenger than process news.

People thought I was trolling. I'm not. James Morgan would play better than darnold, as early as next week. I can't believe I'm saying this but darnold holds back Gase.

14 is another in a long line of usc qb mush.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Shall we make another attempt at a wager for number of wins?  You were off last year and I hope the same this year 

On 9/14/2020 at 6:53 AM, Lurker89 said:

Langi's RedZone pass break up stood out to me as a positive ... I wasn't really focused in him otherwise so I may have missed the suck.... There was so much of it to go around.

Indeed.  Quite enough suck everywhere ya looked.  I get it. I just happened to key in on Langi for a bit.  Not good.  I will give him an A for effort though. He was at least running full speed out there. I can't say that for everyone. 

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Indeed.  Quite enough suck everywhere ya looked.  I get it. I just happened to key in on Langi for a bit.  Not good.  I will give him an A for effort though. He was at least running full speed out there. I can't say that for everyone. 

Langi's job is primarily STs...

3rd string

let's count on Break Glassman

On 9/13/2020 at 7:15 PM, KRL said:

Here's the observation, an absolutely pathetic, putrid and trash
performance by everyone in a Jet uniform.  After choosing not to
come out for the National Anthem (don't get me started) they
should've stayed in there for the rest of the game.  A totally
fake final score of 27-17 hides the total no show effort:

Special Teams

- The first play of the game should've been a sign, Josh Malone
returns the KO outside the 30.  Decent field position, but of
course there's a holding penalty.  So they start at the 9, typical.
Credit to Malone because that was the only semblance of a return
all game.  I know Ashtyn Davis was a hurdler in college but that
needs to be left on the track.  He got his bell rung because he
stupidly tried to hurdle a tackler

- Unfortunately we saw way too much of Braden Mann.  Good job by
him (46.3 avg) but no one wants to see a punter that much

- Sam Ficken was perfect in all his attempts (FG, 2 XP's) but so
what

Defense

- Poor job by the defense in containing Josh Allen's running game
in the first half

- As usual no front seven pressure which allowed Allen way too much
time in the pocket

- Is Blake Cashman's body allergic to artificial turf?  He gets one
snap into the season and he's hurt again?  He now has become the 
"Caucasian Dee Milliner", you have a shot to solidify a starting
job and you can't stay on the field.  Give me a break 

- An excellent Trumaine Johnson impersonation by Pierre Desir and
that's not a good thing.  So poor of a performance that Gregg
Williams pulls him for Nate Hairston

- Marcus Maye filled the hybrid role as expected and had a good
game: 10 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 2 TFL, 2 Passes Defensed and 2 QB Hits

- Bless Austin earned a starting job and then backed it up with:
8 Tackles and 1 TFL

- Brian Poole had a costly holding penalty in the red zone which
cost the team a TD.  But he was productive with: 9 Tackles, 1 Sack,
1 TFL and 1 Pass Defensed

Offense

- What offense?  A total nonsensical plan to start the game.  The
only groups that were able to stay on the field during camp was
the OLine, TE's, RB's and Darnold.  Why not test the conditioning
of BUF defense and run the ball?  Nope, let's spread out and have
BUF test our pass protection with blitzes.  How did that work?
They didn't get a first down until two minutes left in the first
quarter

- Jamison Crowder was the only offensive player who put up decent
numbers (7 rec, 115 yds, TD) and he even had a couple of drops

- Chris Herndon was a non-factor (6 rec, 37 yds) with a costly
fumble.  And NOT ONE target for Ryan Griffin?  Can someone explain
this to me?

- Breshad Perriman also was a non-factor (3 recs, 17 yds)   

and what he'll become

Good write-up but you left out one key point...

846003412_Belichick-WereOnToCincinnati.png.ae3ce0f00fd72459833b4e9760051ab4.png

On 9/14/2020 at 8:46 AM, 56mehl56 said:

Basham was horrible as well. And agree with Austin he had a very nice game. 

Basham is our biggest hope at a pass rusher imo. He is fast and fun to watch but the guy needs to finish plays. The D missed like 5 sacks in the backfield. 

On 9/14/2020 at 2:30 AM, bitonti said:

Telling the truth about this team won't win you any popularity contests

But that is the price for accuracy

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Sometimes being right just has to be its own reward

On 9/14/2020 at 2:42 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

Speaking of observations did anyone else notice how often Buffalo would bring down players into the box right before the snap on our running plays?  I am starting to really think our offense has some formation/motion tells that other coaches might have picked up on.

Another observation I had was how it seemed to me that our play action "action" seldom mimics our most frequent running plays. Just wierd stuff.  I can't say I'm 100% accurate on that, but I caught myself twice today thinking that after a PA attempt.

They crash the box because they have zero respect for Sam as a passer. Neither do I.

On 9/14/2020 at 4:02 AM, GREENBEAN said:

Where do you get the all 22?  I need that. 

Needles to the eyes faster and give same effect 

On 9/14/2020 at 4:07 AM, ljr said:

2020 - Sam's year to show us over 16 weeks what he's made of

week 1 - F Minus

Don’t be so sure. When Geno made a spot start for the Giants 2 years ago a couple of the Geno defenders here slinked out of the woodwork to gloat that he was a starter again. Even more believe Sanchez got a raw deal here and could’ve been The Man. There will always be a contingent that believes the Jets failed Sam and not that it was mutual suck even if he does nothing after leaving here.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sometimes being right just has to be its own reward

They crash the box because they have zero respect for Sam as a passer. Neither do I.

Needles to the eyes faster and give same effect 

Don’t be so sure. When Geno made a spot start for the Giants 2 years ago a couple of the Geno defenders here slinked out of the woodwork to gloat that he was a starter again. Even more believe Sanchez got a raw deal here and could’ve been The Man. There will always be a contingent that believes the Jets failed Sam and not that it was mutual suck even if he does nothing after leaving here.

Actually i think they crash the box because they know nobody is beating them deep.