Should CJ Fire Gase Before the Season Ends?

TNJet

Fire Gase Mid Season?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Fire Gase?

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

JD at some point has to know his own job is at stake.  I don’t care if he has a 6 year contract this roster is underperforming like crazy with Gase and it makes JD look bad

JD has a six year contract. He is sitting pretty right now. Gase will be fired. JD will at least have say in next coach if not total control. He is set up for next year with multiple drafts picks and tons of cap space. Gase helped us get rid of Mac and get JD, his work here is done. Time to get a real coach.

No we should not fire him... The season already lost... Keeping him will make this impossibly clear and Joe Douglas should know exactly what to do at the end of the season. Which probably will be two options Sam Darnorld's fifth year, relegate him to back up, feigning competition with Trevor Lawrence, and then trading Darnold based on his preseason success next year for a couple of draft picks.

... Oh yeah and by preseason gays will have been jettisoned over 3 months ago. Prior to the draft.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

They're not going to fire Gase before the season ends because they're going to fire him after the season.

I doubt that much of what we're seeing is his fault. Gase's teams always play to their talent level and this is the Jets playing to theirs. You'd prefer to believe that Sam Darnold is Actually Good and that the team Seemed Unprepared, but hope-based reasoning has a real bad track record where these things are concerned.

You give him Peyton Manning, you get a super bowl. You give him average talent and an up and down quarterback, you bounce around a couple of games either way of .500. You give him Matt Forte and nothing, the offense is Matt Forte and nothing. If the Jets aren't meeting your expectations I would submit it has more to do with the expectations than it does with Gase.

He got hired a year into Darnold, concurrent with Bell, and right before Douglas. There is no earthly reason for your offense to ever be going through a bizarro two-season-long Year Zero, but if you do find yourself in such a situation, Gase is exactly who you want coaching for evaluation purposes (you just don't like the results of the evaluation). And when it turns out that the quarterback can't play and you have to reboot, you just fire Gase and move on without too much handwringing because he's not the guy for that job.

Douglas didn't draft Sam but he did draft Morgan.  Let's see what Gase can do with Douglas's pick for the rest of the season.  It's pointless to fire him now.  All we know is Sam sucks and Gase can't develop him.  That doesn't mean someone else can.   We also know the Jets have bottom of the barrel talent and have loaded up on draft picks and cap space.  There seems to be a plan and the knowledge that this year was set up to be very bad.  They were right.  The plan is working.  The Jets suck. 

I'm not sure why that bothers people so much.  We're in the middle of the 6th mass extinction on the planet.   I find comfort knowing the Jets suck.  A little normalcy on Sunday shouldn't bother anyone.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Fireing gase now makes sense because it gives us extra time to search for and lock up our next coach.

Didn't anybody ever tell you it's better to look for a job when you have a job... it's better to look for a coach when you have a coach.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Yes.  Especially if you want to truly do everything in your power to evaluate Sam.  Jim Bob Cooter can't be worse than Gase at calling plays.  Give Greg the HC position, let Jim operate the offense that he believes would suit Sam, and see if there is any improvement.

Also, it's abundantly clear the players aren't buying in anymore.  That, in itself, should be the kiss of death.

This 100%.   If Chris Johnson and Douglas arent lying and they think Darnold is a franchise QB, you literally have to do this.  Have to.  There is no other way about it.  If you're going to get throttled, get throttled throwing it around the yard all day, yolo style and see what the kids got.  Doesnt matter who's available.  Who was Nick Mullens throwing to?  

Neutering him, running it on 3rd and 1, Josh Adams on 4th and 1, FG's, punts.  This sh*t accomplishes nothing and with the talentless team surrounding Sam, I'll say it, i have no clue what we have or dont have.  Just look at Tannehill.  Just look at Drake, Parker, Robby Anderson, Damien Williams, .  ANYONE who gets out of his offense.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

JD at some point has to know his own job is at stake.  I don’t care if he has a 6 year contract this roster is underperforming like crazy with Gase and it makes JD look bad

Agreed. 

This is New York, You can't  just assume the fanbase/media will accept embarrassment for 2-3 years. This isn't the NBA or even MLB where you can get away with tanking for a couple of years. 

A good coach/GM should be able to turn things around in a year or two. I am not blaming Douglas because he can't completely overhaul a roster with just 1 draft and the Adams trade/Becton pick appear to be great moves, but he has to expect more from his Head Coach. Someone needs to be held accountable. 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Douglas didn't draft Sam but he did draft Morgan.  Let's see what Gase can do with Douglas's pick for the rest of the season.  It's pointless to fire him now.  All we know is Sam sucks and Gase can't develop him.  That doesn't mean someone else can.   We also know the Jets have bottom of the barrel talent and have loaded up on draft picks and cap space.  There seems to be a plan and the knowledge that this year was set up to be very bad.  They were right.  The plan is working.  The Jets suck. 

I'm not sure why that bothers people so much.  We're in the middle of the 6th mass extinction on the planet.   I find comfort knowing the Jets suck.  A little normalcy on Sunday shouldn't bother anyone.  

Here's the issue with this logic; they thought they upgraded and were going to be better and were building on a 6-2 finished in 19.  Upgraded OL, upgraded weapons, upgraded corners, they thought they lived up to their promise to Mr. and Mrs. Darnold of building around Sam.  They didnt plan this and you're fooling yourself if you think that's the case.  Sure, they were fine with ultimately not being a good team but they did not plan on regressing from a 6-2 finish to the worst team in the league.  

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Here's the issue with this logic; they thought they upgraded and were going to be better and were building on a 6-2 finished in 19.

And the issue with that logic is who the **** is they. Actual logic would suggest that a GM who thinks he's improved his team to any meaningful extent would have signed some of these ostensible upgrades to contracts more than a year long.

24 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

And the issue with that logic is who the **** is they. Actual logic would suggest that a GM who thinks he's improved his team to any meaningful extent would have signed some of these ostensible upgrades to contracts more than a year long.

They = whoever is finding a talent.  JD and his team or JD and Gase.  Idk how that works.  I thought the entire OL was signed to multi year deals, with Fant being one they could get out of next year?  And didnt Griffin sign a multi year deal? 

To be fair, I do think they did upgrade the OL.  Granted, last year was historically bad so that wasnt really a challenge but they do look better and Becton looks great.  We havent seen Mims/Perine/Clark, so maybe the draft has produced more than we think 2 weeks into these rookies careers.

It doesn't matter if we fire him today or keep him. The whole team is a train wreck and giving g Darnold a new O to learn mod season is probably not a good idea. Not sure another HC can even salvage anything from this O.

He may as well stay. He will be toast by the end of the season anyway unless CJ plays the injury card for him again like last season. Truth is the team is so devoid of talent, I don't know if it's  Gase or these players can't  run anything except for the vanilla stuff. It would be nice to see him at least try something that wasn't  an A gap run, bubble screen, or out route. 

It doesn't matter if we fire him today or keep him. The whole team is a train wreck and giving  Darnold a new O to learn mid season is probably not a good idea. Not sure another HC can even salvage anything from this O.

He may as well stay. He will be toast by the end of the season anyway unless CJ plays the injury card for him again like last season. Truth is the team is so devoid of talent, I don't know if it's  Gase or these players can't  run anything except for the vanilla stuff. It would be nice to see him at least try something that wasn't  an A gap run, bubble screen, or out route. 

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sure, they were fine with ultimately not being a good team but they did not plan on regressing from a 6-2 finish to the worst team in the league.  

Completely agree. 

Joe Douglas talked at length to the media bout being competitive, and at the mid-season press conference last year, he specifically talked about doing everything in his power to never have another 1-7 start again. Well, here we are - and this year is going to be much worse because there is no cupcake back-half schedule to save us. We are easily the worst team in the league right now and are good money to the among the worst teams in the league for the rest of the season. 

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

Here's the issue with this logic; they thought they upgraded and were going to be better and were building on a 6-2 finished in 19.  Upgraded OL, upgraded weapons, upgraded corners, they thought they lived up to their promise to Mr. and Mrs. Darnold of building around Sam.  They didnt plan this and you're fooling yourself if you think that's the case.  Sure, they were fine with ultimately not being a good team but they did not plan on regressing from a 6-2 finish to the worst team in the league.  

By that logic Douglas and Gase should be fired.  I don't believe they thought any such thing.  I think Gase knew after 10 minutes in the office with Mac that he was in a complete sh*t show.  I think Douglas knew it was a sh*t show and would take time.  I think anyone who looks at Darnold fairly sees great potential play making ability coupled with second rate mechanics and questionable decision making.  To think that Gase and Douglas don't know that would mean both should be showed the door immediately.  There are no sure things and the process of getting better including learning how to be an NFL QB and building a good team isn't linear just because.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Completely agree. 

Joe Douglas talked at length to the media bout being competitive, and at the mid-season press conference last year, he specifically talked about doing everything in his power to never have another 1-7 start again. Well, here we are - and this year is going to be much worse because there is no cupcake back-half schedule to save us. We are easily the worst team in the league right now and are good money to the among the worst teams in the league for the rest of the season. 

It's one thing to root for a bad team (have spent much of my life doing that) but it's quite another to watch one that is routinely non-competitive. 

Say what you will about Kotite, he was a terrible coach but most of the games were contested. Gase is so lost up his own ass, a change is required at this point. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Completely agree. 

I mean, as bad as they look, I'm having a hard time finding a win on the schedule.  It's that bad.  Obviously I dont think we're going 0-16 but when you look at the schedule, its hard not to think about it.  lol

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

By that logic Douglas and Gase should be fired.  I don't believe they thought any such thing.  I think Gase knew after 10 minutes in the office with Mac that he was in a complete sh*t show.  I think Douglas knew it was a sh*t show and would take time.  I think anyone who looks at Darnold fairly sees great potential play making ability coupled with second rate mechanics and questionable decision making.  To think that Gase and Douglas don't know that would mean both should be showed the door immediately.  There are no sure things and the process of getting better including learning how to be an NFL QB and building a good team isn't linear just because.

So you think that JD signed 4 offensive lineman and drafted a LT at #11 overall but was expecting the results would those efforts would actually be a downgrade? 

Just now, JiF said:

I mean, as bad as they look, I'm having a hard time finding a win on the schedule.  It's that bad.  Obviously I dont think we're going 0-16 but when you look at the schedule, its hard not to think about it.  lol

I think we'll split with Miami and possibly beat Denver at home. We'll also win a game you never expect us to win because we do that every year. I'll say 3 wins, but we have this amazing ability to win more meaningless games than we should - thereby compromising our draft position. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I think we'll split with Miami and possibly beat Denver at home. We'll also win a game you never expect us to win because we do that every year. I'll say 3 wins, but we have this amazing ability to win more meaningless games than we should - thereby compromising our draft position. 

It’s tough to say how much better the jets offense can be with v smith, crowder, perriman and mims, not to mention any upgrade in rb like perhaps perine.  Certainly there’s more speed to add.  Herndon looks awful.  The play calling looks awful.  Gase all but blamed this on the defense and his personnel yesterday.  Also the OL looks improved and if you actually allow darnold to throw the jets will win a few games eventually.  Of course so will the other bad teams in the nfl.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

So you think that JD signed 4 offensive lineman and drafted a LT at #11 overall but was expecting the results would those efforts would actually be a downgrade? 

I think JD didn't know there would be a pandemic and no real offseason.  I don't think he knew that with a short training camp there would be more injuries to an already thin roster.

I think JD knows that OL is more than adding talent.  It takes time to gel.  I think he knows that he purged the cap to put him in position to upgrade the roster next year and in the future.  I think he knew trading Adams would make us worse this year and better in the future.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

I think JD didn't know there would be a pandemic and no real offseason.  I don't think he knew that with a short training camp there would be more injuries to an already thin roster.

I think JD knows that OL is more than adding talent.  It takes time to gel.  I think he knows that he purged the cap to put him in position to upgrade the roster next year and in the future.  I think he knew trading Adams would make us worse this year and better in the future.  

I agree with all this but I dont think he expected to be the worst team in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

It's one thing to root for a bad team (have spent much of my life doing that) but it's quite another to watch one that is routinely non-competitive. 

Say what you will about Kotite, he was a terrible coach but most of the games were contested. Gase is so lost up his own ass, a change is required at this point. 

This is my number one reason for dumping Gase now. The team just isn't competing for him. Look at his losses - the vast majority of them are blowouts. His teams have been getting blown out since his final season in Miami.  You can't come to NY and be non-competitive.

If Douglas is smart, he talks to Chris directly about dumping Gase now. You can't continue to get blown out in NY. It's just not going to work. If this team continues to be non-competitive for basically the entire year, Douglas is going to start taking some of Gase's heat. It's unavoidable. Tanking is great for getting a higher draft pick, but it's not going to help this GM with the media or fanbase - and those two things matter greatly for sticking around in the long run. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

This is my number one reason for dumping Gase now. The team just isn't competing for him. Look at his losses - the vast majority of them are blowouts. His teams have been getting blown out since his final season in Miami.  You can't come to NY and be non-competitive.

If Douglas is smart, he talks to Chris directly about dumping Gase now. You can't continue to get blown out in NY. It's just not going to work. If this team continues to be non-competitive for basically the entire year, Douglas is going to start taking some of Gase's heat. It's unavoidable. Tanking is great for getting a higher draft pick, but it's not going to help this GM with the media or fanbase - and those two things matter greatly for sticking around in the long run. 

Douglas seems like a very calm, calculating patient man.  Seems to know that gase will at some point irk the johnsons enough and they’ll fire him.  Meanwhile all douglas needs to show is that most of his draft picks seem good and that he didn’t waste money on high priced free agents to maintain he’s on the path to a rebuild.  If by week 8 we’re watching mims, perine and Zuniga play decent, we’ll all be thrilled with what douglas has done in limited opportunity and the only remaining question will be not if gase will go, but when, and whether darnold can be saved.

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

But all teams have had to deal with the pandemic and we are far from the only team with significant injuries. Now, I do agree that our injury luck has been comically bad - having Crowder, Mims, Smith, and now Perriman out by the middle of week 2 is one of the very worst things that could have happened to this team. 

But, if this team keeps getting blown out every week, no one is going to care. You have to find a way to keep these games competitive. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I agree with all this but I dont think he expected to be the worst team in the NFL. 

I can't get into Douglas or Gase's state of mind or what they actually think.  I think they came into a very bad situation.  That doesn't mean they can fix it either.  I'm just not a fan of second guessing everything and thinking firing them and letting Howard or Gabby Johnson hire the next two tools to run the organization is a fix.  It's a lottery ticket that only guarantees you lost the money you paid to get the ticket with.