Realistic Trade Down Compensation for Trevor Lawrence

neckdemon

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

Could the Jets realistically get a better deal than what was given for Ricky Williams and would it be worth it? So a teams entire 2021 draft pick allotment plus a 2022 1st? Is that realistic and would you do it? If not....what do you think it would take to make the trade away from Trevor Lawrence worth it?"

i don't recall the redskins i mean the washington football team doing much with that haul.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

How did the Ricky Williams trade work out for the Saints and Mike Ditka. 

NO WAY IN HELL, 

The better question is, how did the Herschel Walker trade work out for Dallas?  

I get what you are saying Joewilly.  But you have to listen.  

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

If the Jets made trade down you know 100% that Lawrence is going to HOF. 

This guy doesn't guarantee the Jets a super bowl. Does he increase the changes, yes! But consider this, Peyton Manning didn't win his first super bowl until late in his career, same is true for Elway. Marino, multiple pro bowls and MVPs, but ...; I know times are different. Yet, a significantly less talented Eli won the Super Bowl. Why is that?

Wining the Super Bowl takes talent, coaching, stability and of course some luck. Speaking of Luck, he was a 'generational talent' and how many Super Bowls did he win? In fact, his career was cut short because the team that tanked for him, couldn't protect him and didn't get him the weapons he needed.

This is my point. If you get the #1 pick and someone offers you a king's ransom for the guy, you take it. Period. You can build an entire team with the haul of picks you get. If after surrounding Sam with talent, he can't win, then you take some of the King's ransom (and your own high picks) and go get a guy that can win for you. At that point, however, the new QB doesn't have to be a hero, and doesn't have to carry the team. Also, he can come in and not get ruined because there is a quality well coached team surrounding him.

If you are only offered an extra first or so, Yes you pass on the trade and take the 'star'. Consider every block-buster trade for a QB; it almost never works out for the team that gets the QB (because they can't build a team), but it normally works out well for the team that traded him. IMO, 3 1sts, and a bunch of other picks is too much to pass on.

Or, in 4 years, we will be talking about how the Jets ruined another QB, rinse, repeat.

• Post of the Week 1

Minimum three firsts.  And not Seattle Seahawk firsts.  We’re talking I’m picking in the top ten for the next three years bad.  So NY Giants lvl bad.
Throw in a couple 2nds and a couple thirds as well, and maybe the teams previous qb (so eg Daniel Jones).   That starts a conversation.

When Luck came out, commentators were talking 5 first round picks to trade from three to one.  You just don’t get many generational qb prospects that often.  To be fair, I’m not entirely convinced Trevor Lawrence deserves quite this lvl of hype.  I don’t get it, like I did with Luck or Peyton.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

A QB with the talent that Trevor Lawrence has doesn't come around too often. 

You do not trade the #1 pick you select Trevor Lawrence. 

End of discussion. 

I love Sam Darnold and the Jets are an INCOMPETENET ORGANIZATION...

But you have answered it for me...

However, if the Jets trot Darnold back out there --- he is going to win some games, and there will be no Lawrence Number 1 pick!

Watch and see!

• Post of the Week 1

Like I said in the other "let's trade our Golden Ticket away" thread, you don't get cute with a decision like this....if you get the #1 pick you take Lawrence. There's nothing to think about or discuss. You take him and hope you solidified QB for the next 15 years. If you believe in TL's ceiling that #1 pick is priceless and untradeable.

Pick 2 and below I trade down for the lesser king's ransom and give Darnold another shot

• Upvote 2

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

My house is not for sale right now. But if someone knocks on my door and offers $2m, then it is all of a sudden for sale.

Only fools close their ears to any offers.

Currently speaking the fools of the NFL are the NY Jets,want that to continue trade the rights to Trevor Lawrence. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

How did the Ricky Williams trade work out for the Saints and Mike Ditka. 

NO WAY IN HELL, 

Mike Ditka was the one who traded all the picks.  We would be the ones receiving all the picks.  Same deal on the Herschel Walker trade.  The Cowboys got all the picks and turned into a dynasty.

The difference is that Trevor is a QB.  And since he's been compared to Elway, we can look at how the Elway trade worked out for the Colts (not well).

Btw, could you imagine a team trading a bounty of picks for a RB today?  There's no single position in the sport that has lost more value than RB.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mike Ditka was the one who traded all the picks.  We would be the ones receiving all the picks.  Same deal on the Herschel Walker trade.  The Cowboys got all the picks and turned into a dynasty.

The difference is that Trevor is a QB.  And since he's been compared to Elway, we can look at how the Elway trade worked out for the Colts (not well).

Btw, could you imagine a team trading a bounty of picks for a RB today?  There's no single position in the sport that has lost more value than RB.

How did it all work out? 

6 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Like I said in the other "let's trade our Golden Ticket away" thread, you don't get cute with a decision like this....if you get the #1 pick you take Lawrence. There's nothing to think about or discuss. You take him and hope you solidified QB for the next 15 years. If you believe in TL's ceiling that #1 pick is priceless and untradeable.

Pick 2 and below I trade down for the lesser king's ransom and give Darnold another shot

Agreed.  I'm still a firm believer in Darnold but there's no way I would pass up on Trevor. 

The only thing I might disagree with you on is that , if we pick #2, I might use the pick on that generational OT prospect and start to build up a tremendous OL.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

How did it all work out? 

You're missing the point.  The trade didn't work out for the team that was trading away all of their picks.  We would be the team receiving all the picks.  In other words, we'd be on the other side of that trade.

Having said the above, I'm still not advocating we trade the #1 overall away if we have it. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

How did it all work out? 

You are aware that the majority of posters on this site are all in general agreement that drafting a RB, no matter how good, in the top 5 of a draft is considered foolish management, right?

The fact that you are comparing what an RB can do for a franchise, compared to a QB is comparing apples vs oranges.

Given all that, how the Saints did with Ricky Williams is pretty immaterial.

As has been pointed out several times in this thread, how did the Cowboys do with a boatload of picks for Hershel Walker?

All we are saying is the Jets need to listen every offer, evaluate the board, and consider. No one is saying to commit.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

You are aware that the majority of posters on this site are all in general agreement that drafting a RB, no matter how good, in the top 5 of a draft is considered foolish management, right?

The fact that you are comparing what an RB can do for a franchise, compared to a RB is comparing apples vs oranges.

As has been pointed out several times in this thread, how did the Cowboys do with a boatload of picks for Hershel Walker?

All we are saying is the Jets need to listen every offer, evaluate the board, and consider. No one is saying to commit.

Fully agree that we'd have to listen.  But it would take a ton of compensation.  Jamal got us 2 #1s and a #3.  We might need 5 #1's and 3 #2's for a guy considered to be the next Elway.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The fact that you are comparing what an RB can do for a franchise, compared to a QB is comparing apples vs oranges.

No no no no 

If Trevor is willing to come here you take him.  This is how the Johnsons f everything up every single time by even entertaining this nonsense

28 minutes ago, Hael said:

Minimum three firsts.  And not Seattle Seahawk firsts.  We’re talking I’m picking in the top ten for the next three years bad.  So NY Giants lvl bad.
Throw in a couple 2nds and a couple thirds as well, and maybe the teams previous qb (so eg Daniel Jones).   That starts a conversation.

When Luck came out, commentators were talking 5 first round picks to trade from three to one.  You just don’t get many generational qb prospects that often.  To be fair, I’m not entirely convinced Trevor Lawrence deserves quite this lvl of hype.  I don’t get it, like I did with Luck or Peyton.

3 #1's?!  That's way too little compensation.  Jamal got us 2 #1's and a #3.  And any team that gets Trevor might turn around pretty quickly so there's no guarantee of 3 top 10 picks (certainly by year 2 you'd expect him to start winning games).  

The 5 #1's to move up 2 spots to draft Luck makes more sense.  And if we were to trade #1 overall to a team that was drafting lower, it might take a lot more than just 5 #1's. Maybe an additional 3-5 #2's plus maybe a player.  

53 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

This guy doesn't guarantee the Jets a super bowl. Does he increase the changes, yes! But consider this, Peyton Manning didn't win his first super bowl until late in his career, same is true for Elway. Marino, multiple pro bowls and MVPs, but ...; I know times are different. Yet, a significantly less talented Eli won the Super Bowl. Why is that?

Wining the Super Bowl takes talent, coaching, stability and of course some luck. Speaking of Luck, he was a 'generational talent' and how many Super Bowls did he win? In fact, his career was cut short because the team that tanked for him, couldn't protect him and didn't get him the weapons he needed.

This is my point. If you get the #1 pick and someone offers you a king's ransom for the guy, you take it. Period. You can build an entire team with the haul of picks you get. If after surrounding Sam with talent, he can't win, then you take some of the King's ransom (and your own high picks) and go get a guy that can win for you. At that point, however, the new QB doesn't have to be a hero, and doesn't have to carry the team. Also, he can come in and not get ruined because there is a quality well coached team surrounding him.

If you are only offered an extra first or so, Yes you pass on the trade and take the 'star'. Consider every block-buster trade for a QB; it almost never works out for the team that gets the QB (because they can't build a team), but it normally works out well for the team that traded him. IMO, 3 1sts, and a bunch of other picks is too much to pass on.

Or, in 4 years, we will be talking about how the Jets ruined another QB, rinse, repeat.

Very interesting post!  For all their greatness, Marino never won a SB and Elway needed Terrell Davis to get him over the top in the final 2 years of his long career.  Jim Kelly never won one either.  Obviously Luck's career was cut short due to horrific mismanagement (the kind I'd expect of the Jets).  And Peyton won 1 SB for the Colts and even that was a huge chore.  They were fortunate that they played such a weak opponent in that SB (the Bears) and they still didn't win by that much.  And Peyton was only "along for the ride" (carried by his teammates) to his 2nd SB title.  Heck, even Favre only won 1 SB.

So there's certainly no guarantee that a great QB wins you a SB.  But you are almost certainly guaranteed a lot of success for a good number of years and you're always a legit contender.  Obviously we'd all love to be in a situation like that, especially after the past decade of Jet football.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I'm still a firm believer in Darnold but there's no way I would pass up on Trevor. 

The only thing I might disagree with you on is that , if we pick #2, I might use the pick on that generational OT prospect and start to build up a tremendous OL.  

Yea if there's a stud at a position of need like OL I'm fine with taking him.... what I was really trying to say is that Pick 2 and lower is the only way I even answer the phone. Pick 1 and there's no reason for any team to call me LOL 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Very good post!  For all their greatness, Marino never won a SB and Elway needed Terrell Davis to get him over the top in the final 2 years of his long career.  Jim Kelly never won one either.  Obviously Luck's career was cut short due to horrific mismanagement (the kind I'd expect of the Jets).  And Peyton won 1 SB for the Colts and even that was a huge chore.  They were fortunate that they played such a weak opponent in that SB (the Bears) and they still didn't win by that much.  And Peyton was only "along for the ride" (carried by his teammates) to his 2nd SB title.  Heck, even Favre only won 1 SB.

So there's certainly no guarantee that a great QB wins you a SB.  But you are almost certainly guaranteed a lot of success for a good number of years and you're always a legit contender.  Obviously we'd all love to be in a situation like that, especially after the past decade of Jet football.

That's really all you can do as a front office is give your team a chance to contend. There's so many other variables and practically everything has to break right for you to win it all....but taking these generational prospects and building around them....gives you a legit shot....which is all you have control over anyways

• Upvote 1