Film Review: Sam misses a wide open Mims for a TD

Rhg1084

41 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is the first pick, just before the half.  Oliver providing some pressure up the middle, but Andrews recovers and keeps him away from Darnold.  A bit of pressure, but Sam still has enough room to step up and make the throw.

image.png.6dba71f4d5c444c170f9f9e22bb74ec1.png

Berrios wide open upper right corner

by the way Ed Oliver was on the field Sunday same as Quinnen

I know this is a Sam suckth dickth thread (and yes we all hate his stupid face) but anyone else notice how much better Quinnen was than Ed Oliver

many of us, myself included would have thought long and hard about taking Oliver the night of the draft as more of an Aaron Donald type 

look at WFT 

Q could be Jonathan Allen plus 13 sack a year type 

the JEts need a Chase Young, kerrigan etc for the edge but the interior with QW and John Franklin and Foley has some teeth, even without McClendon. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm totally on board with your thoughts, but I'd love someone to sit down with Darnold and hear him answer honestly why he did what he did on that particular play. Why is he looking to the right with White on that side and all of the WRs on the other side? White vs a Jet TE is not a favorable matchup. It makes no sense. Is Darnold just a rockhead, or is Gase's scheme so flawed that it ignores matchups? Every decent QB in the NFL is looking left on that play to see which, if any, of the WR trips breaks free from coverage. 

As to play design, that is a great formation. Imagine if the Jets had a true #1WR and a top 10 TE. How do you defend that formation? Based on the D formation, the QB would know pre-snap whether to look left for a WR or right for a TE, and someone is going to be open. Maybe Gase really is brilliant on some "beautiful mind" kind of level. Like Caoch Klein in the Waterboy, we should just steal Gase's spiral notebook and fire him to leave the coaching to real football coaches. 

He is on every Monday after 5 pm on the Michael Kay show 98.7 in NYC. To his credit, he answers all the questions, and never, ever throws anyone under the bus but himself. However, the answers are very Todd Bowles like....."have to look at the film, learn from it and clean it up." The solution, I'm really sad to believe, is it's just not in his toolbox.

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Berrios wide open upper right corner

by the way Ed Oliver was on the field Sunday same as Quinnen

I know this is a Sam suckth dickth thread (and yes we all hate his stupid face) but anyone else notice how much better Quinnen was than Ed Oliver

many of us, myself included would have thought long and hard about taking Oliver the night of the draft as more of an Aaron Donald type 

look at WFT 

Q could be Jonathan Allen plus 13 sack a year type 

the JEts need a Chase Young, kerrigan etc for the edge but the interior with QW and John Franklin and Foley has some teeth, even without McClendon. 

In my humble opinion, that play changed the entire tone of the game.

• Upvote 1

7 games into 2020 season & Joe Douglas needs an apology for being lambasted for drafting Morgan. 

Watching Sam Darnold play QB has me realizing that even though he was dealt a filthy hand when it comes to targets, it doesn't matter WHO is out there playing with you, the All 22 doesn't lie. And while we're all on here killing Gase & now Dowell, plays are there to be made & unfortunately our supposed savior franchise QB isn't making them. 

Josh Allen who everyone said was raw & inaccurate was getting the ball out of his hands on those short routes really quick. It was snap look, bam. So, maybe the Morgan pick was a precursor to a backup plan. Is Morgan Joe Douglas Joe Flacco small school find? 

Personally I don't even like Sam Darnolds demeanor. But, it's tough Tobin be tough on people when your the one showing up on tape not executing plays that are there to be made. He's depressed about himself. 

1 minute ago, section314 said:

He is on every Monday after 5 pm on the Michael Kay show 98.7 in NYC. To his credit, he answers all the questions, and never, ever throws anyone under the bus but himself. However, the answers are very Todd Bowles like....."have to look at the film, learn from it and clean it up." The solution, I'm really sad to believe, is it's just not in his toolbox.

Poor kid is just too much of a "company man".

IMO, he would have benefitted from a HC who is willing to yell at him. A little tough Parcells love would have gone a long way in this development. He can "talk" about his mistakes forever and will continue to make them. He'll stop making them if the consequence is a harsh tongued coach's wrath. Be mindful that this is just my opinion as to how a player with Darnold's personality reacts to his surroundings.

• Upvote 1

Just now, section314 said:

In my humble opinion, that play changed the entire tone of the game.

yeah that was huge. Throwing into quad coverage meant everyone on the other side must have had space

from Bills perspective this could have been a blow out all those RZ trips... if the Bills field goal kicker goes 7-7 instead of 5-7 it might have never been close 

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

7 games into 2020 season & Joe Douglas needs an apology for being lambasted for drafting Morgan. 

Watching Sam Darnold play QB has me realizing that even though he was dealt a filthy hand when it comes to targets, it doesn't matter WHO is out there playing with you, the All 22 doesn't lie. And while we're all on here killing Gase & now Dowell, plays are there to be made & unfortunately our supposed savior franchise QB isn't making them. 

Josh Allen who everyone said was raw & inaccurate was getting the ball out of his hands on those short routes really quick. It was snap look, bam. So, maybe the Morgan pick was a precursor to a backup plan. Is Morgan Joe Douglas Joe Flacco small school find? 

Personally I don't even like Sam Darnolds demeanor. But, it's tough Tobin be tough on people when your the one showing up on tape not executing plays that are there to be made. He's depressed about himself. 

Flacco was the 18th pick in the Draft.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Sam Darnold has been working with Jordan Palmer since he was like 18 he can't seem to figure out 1) how to set his feet when he throws and 2) to read defenses. 

Josh Allen works with him for one offseason and he's like MVP fodder. 

when the franchise trades Quenton Nelson and 3 second round picks

and when they pay you 3 overall money

and when you wear the C patch 

that young player doesn't get the right to be depressed about his performance

he needs to be the franchise or step aside and let someone else try 

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yeah that was huge. Throwing into quad coverage meant everyone on the other side must have had space

from Bills perspective this could have been a blow out all those RZ trips... if the Bills field goal kicker goes 7-7 instead of 5-7 it might have never been close 

Agreed. Also, the book is pretty much out now on Sam, unfortunately. Bide your time, and he will give you the ball2-3 times per game. For 29 mins and 20 secs. on Sunday, this wasn't the case. He looked sharp, and the Jets were playing like a pro team. Bills may have been thinking, today is the outlier.  Then, he reverts to form, they kick a FG, it's 10-6 at the half, and the Bills have a totally new perspective.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Lol on the Denver miss. You do realize the iron eagle is NOT what it looks like for Sam. Nor is it slow motion. Sam needs to see over and Through 5-6 giants and see that safety stepped up what 1.5 steps and that by the time he throws the WR will be wide open all in one second.  Man. If this Isnt arm chair quarterbacking I don’t know what is. 
not his best moment. But If gonna make the the missed a wide open guy argument please use a good example. Oh yeah. A defensive player DID Break through and get to Sam. I watch Mahomes and Rogers. This is not the throws they are making 90% of time. There cats are just open. A lot. 

But the videos posted here SHOW HIS RECEIVERS WIDE OPEN and he's not throwing them the ball. Gotta take off the rose-colored glasses at some point and call a spade a spade.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Funny, Jordan Palmer seems to be working wonders for Josh Allen, someone almost every expert said was a raw talent and nowhere near the level of Sam Darnold.

The pandemic put Sam Darnold in lockdown with Jordan Palmer, Josh Allen, and Kyle Allen for 3 months.  They didn't leave the house.  They didn't take weekends off.  Nothing but football.  March, April, and May.  Eating, living, breathing football. 

Second year in the same playbook.  Every single offensive coach returning to the team.  Three months of personal, private coaching.  And he shows up in Buffalo and can't hit the side of a barn.  Still making high school mistakes.  Not seeing the field. You can’t coach the stupid out of a quarterback. The problem is Sam. 

SAR I

Two things can be true at once, though. Just because Sam Darnold sucks doesn't mean that Gase doesn't. It is true that Darnold sucks, and Adam Gase is also a top-five worst NFL coach of my lifetime. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Joe flacco sucks but he should be competent to read a defense and find a wide open WR for an easy TD.

I mean, he did.  He he missed the throws. Perriman had his man beat twice for an easy TD and Flacco over threw him and he had a few under throws to open receivers.  He just sucks.  Sam just isnt seeing it at all. 

1 hour ago, Team archer said:

He did have it, hes mentally ****ed as a QB..PTSD like stuff were talking here. Which is why some people are saying trevor, if we get him, will have the same issues 2-3 years from now unless we sell out on offense in the draft. **** defense, we dont need it right now. Every pick should be online or wr, te, Rb and if we HAVE to pick someone on the other side..pass rusher.

The not pulling the trigger stuff is nutty.  Maybe he never did have it and the signs of optimism were just fools gold but I do think he's regressed.  I never thought he was the worst starter in the league, I viewed much of that to be the team but what he's doing now, is soooo bad, that I do think he is the worst starter in the NFL.  Not sure it can be saved.

Agreed, Lawrence will struggle here too and agreed, go yolo offense until it's elite.  They just held the Bills to 18pts and no TD's with the worst accumulation of defensive talent in the NFL.  I would literally field street FA's at every single defensive positions in return for a top 5 offense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Sure.  I sort of meant just, "very few."

Yeah I got you but responded more because I generally don't buy this idea that hey just get build an all pro team around a fan favorite jag and you can win SB's, like Trent Dilfer

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

The not pulling the trigger stuff is nutty.  Maybe he never did have it and the signs of optimism were just fools gold but I do think he's regressed.  I never thought he was the worst starter in the league, I viewed much of that to be the team but what he's doing now, is soooo bad, that I do think he is the worst starter in the NFL.  Not sure it can be saved.

Punchers can win some fights if the matchup is good and they are confident. When the matchup is bad or the confidence wanes they do not have the technical skill to fall back on

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The real question is unanswered. Why is Sam looking right on that play? Is it what he is “coached” to do? Or, is he a hardhead or dummy that cannot absorb and execute what he is taught. 

Frankly, on every pass play the QB should consider the side that White is not on as the primary receiver. Why even bother looking to White’s side? But, the Jets threw a lot to guy’s covered by White. My suspicion is that it is mostly coaching and scheme.

I can’t substantiate this, but my theory is that Sam is looking first at the side of the field where he expects pressure to be coming from - which, as Sabo points out, is not always the side he should be looking at to execute the play correctly.  In the clip where he misses Jeff Smith, Sam starts the play by looking to the side where the blitz is coming from.  In the Bills clip, he looks at the right side of the line first - which is away from where Becton has been doing a nice job in protection and toward the side where Jerry Hughes had been getting the better of Fant (I thought the Bills did a nice job of creating the Hughes-Fant matchup consistently, instead of having Hughes go against Mekhi and get neutralized).

I think we’re seeing ‘David Carr Syndrome’ with Sam.  He’s slow in his reads because he’s too worried about the pressure, and is panicking even when the pressure isn’t heavy.  

A lot of people have predicted that Sam will have great success if he ends up on another team - maybe because that would be so “Jetsy”, and he still provides one or two “Wow” plays every game, even while playing lousy otherwise.  I’m not so sure.  Playing scared doesn’t just go away.  How did David Carr do after he left Houston?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, jacarter220 said:

Two things can be true at once, though. Just because Sam Darnold sucks doesn't mean that Gase doesn't. It is true that Darnold sucks, and Adam Gase is also a top-five worst NFL coach of my lifetime. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

what coach has this record?

51-65

Sam can't read the field or see open guys.  This isn't news, really.  It's been a weakness since day 1.

The Fanbase just isn't so homer on Sam now that the new savior, T.L., might be a thing. 

So now the folks who once called Sam "elite" and hyped him up well beyond reality are finally starting to see what the more objective folks have seen all along.

It's about time, tbqh.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure once Gase gets a new QB it will all be better...just like with the dol...er..the bea...err.. Denver! Yea, Denver. I knew there was one in there where he didn't have a bottom of the barrel offense. 

That said, Sam sucks and whatever the reason why he sucks doesn't matter. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ian Fleming said:

The damage the current regime has caused to the offense is probably irreversible psychologically.

With Darnold’s contract year rapidly approaching and his quality still uncertain because of the apple v egg dysfunction, changes must happen anyway. 

false narrative. just stfu with this lame pseudopsychology malarkey. oh poor sam. phukk that. he was supposed to BE THE MAN.

you act like he spent years in Flanders Fields.

did the same horrible QB garbage @ USC people KNEW

Darnold missed on several uncontested throws, a microcosm of a sophomore season in which his accuracy suffered and completion pe rcentage dipped over four full points. Against Ohio State, he displayed next-to-nothing pocket presence while being sacked eight times, the majority of which should have been avoided by better pre-snap reads

https://sports.yahoo.com/sam-darnold-simply-next-usc-quarterback-flop-nfl-023025841.html

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Flacco was the 18th pick in the Draft.

My point is here he had a supposed Franchise QB, and like everyone has said here, why is he taking a QB in instead of a WR? It's one of those interesting moves drafting Morgan, as there was a lot of conjecture that Belichick was interested in Morgan. So far Stidham looks terrible. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Sam Darnold has been working with Jordan Palmer since he was like 18 he can't seem to figure out 1) how to set his feet when he throws and 2) to read defenses. 

Josh Allen works with him for one offseason and he's like MVP fodder. 

when the franchise trades Quenton Nelson and 3 second round picks

and when they pay you 3 overall money

and when you wear the C patch 

that young player doesn't get the right to be depressed about his performance

he needs to be the franchise or step aside and let someone else try 

It's really disappointing. I rewatched that game Sunday & he's a mess. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

false narrative. just stfu with this lame pseudopsychology malarkey. oh poor sam. phukk that. he was supposed to BE THE MAN.

you act like he spent years in Flanders Fields.

did the same horrible QB garbage @ USC people KNEW

Darnold missed on several uncontested throws, a microcosm of a sophomore season in which his accuracy suffered and completion pe rcentage dipped over four full points. Against Ohio State, he displayed next-to-nothing pocket presence while being sacked eight times, the majority of which should have been avoided by better pre-snap reads

https://sports.yahoo.com/sam-darnold-simply-next-usc-quarterback-flop-nfl-023025841.html

Perhaps in your anger you misunderstood my post? I meant the team has been damaged as a whole and drastic change must take place to it.

By psychological I meant in the team (not one player) and staff’s self- assessment and awareness of their value. 
Calm down; your pouting off in misguided rage is not going to change anything. You’ll have to find your straw men among other posters.

19 minutes ago, Ian Fleming said:

Perhaps in your anger you misunderstood my post? I meant the team has been damaged as a whole and drastic change must take place to it.

By psychological I meant in the team (not one player) and staff’s self- assessment and awareness of their value. 
Calm down; your pouting off in misguided rage is not going to change anything. You’ll have to find your straw men among other posters.

drastic/QB change

upgrade G, TE, WR

the straw man was the former GM... no brain

wizard of oz dorothy GIF

Darnold needed to do one of two things this year for the Jets:

1. Improve to the point where he is clearly the answer going forward.

2. Stay the same \ regress (whatever you want to call it) to the point where it is clear he isn't the answer going forward.

Bonus points on # 2 because it is being done at such a fast pace that it will result in Trevor being here. That is a # 2 dream come true.

We just need some of those one win teams to win some games.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Frankly, on every pass play the QB should consider the side that White is not on as the primary receiver. Why even bother looking to White’s side? But, the Jets threw a lot to guy’s covered by White. My suspicion is that it is mostly coaching and scheme.

My thoughts also. Its also why I think Buffalo called for this, knowing exactly what play Gase/Loggins was going to call.