Jump to content

Why do I get the sinking feeling Gase is back next year?


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

1) Bowles won 10 games his first year here - that bought him at least an extra year or two of s*cking 

Easiest schedule in the NFL that year and I don't think they beat any team with a winning record except NE on the final game of the season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't imagine there's any chance they're bringing him back.  

Smoke a joint and listen to Steely Dan. It will relieve all of your Dowell Loggains stress...lol.

I've been calling this possibility for over a month now.  I don't know if it's a 30% chance, a 50% or even north of 50%, but it's definitely not insignificant.  A few reasons... 1. Gase hasn't go

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Has there ever been an 0-16 or1-15 coach that survived?  Maybe John McKay, maybe Tom Landry, chuck noll, but those were first season records when it’s kind of expected for those teams to be rebuilding or maybe expansion teams.  Gase still has the built in bad personnel excuse. I doubt if Maccagnan, had he stayed, would’ve blown up the team like douglas has done.  The only other way gase stays if he truly hasn’t lost the locker room.

Jimmy Johnson's first year in Dallas

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Easiest schedule in the NFL that year and I don't think they beat any team with a winning record except NE on the final game of the season. 

Correct, but that empty ten win season bought him slack. 

Gase won't win ten games in his two seasons here combined. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I understand the point, but Bowles was on the moon compared to Gase. 
 

1) Bowles won 10 games his first year here - that bought him at least an extra year or two of s*cking 

2) Gase is about to go anywhere from 0-16 to 2-14 with a historically bad team, in year 3 of Sam Darnold, the prized QB he was brought here to develop. 

3) Gase is a public pariah and a media punching bag of the highest order. Meanwhile, even during his 3rd consecutive 5-11 year, Bowles had numerous apologists in the media. 
 

It’s a different world. Bowles was compared to guys like Mangini, Gase is compared to “Kotite” - possibly the most notorious dirty word in Jets history. 

100%, especially points 2 and 3.

Darnold was supposed to be the savior and Gase was brought in as the offensive guru to develop him. Not only has he not done that but he has ruined him and cratered the offense in a historic way -- and because of that he's a national media punching bag.

Like literally, it's a common theme in talking head sports media that not only is it obvious five weeks into the season that we are going to have the top pick in the draft but the generational QB prospect should avoid us at all costs. I can't think of a more embarrassing optic for Gase or the Jets than that.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

You cannot bring back a coach who is 4-12 or worse in year two with no sign of the arrow going north for one very important reason, M O N E Y!

Investors, advertisers, and most importantly, season ticket holders will bail.

Investors?  The Johnsons own the team.  Woody as principal and Chris as minority owner.

And here's why the Johnsons could give a crap about what the media, fans or anyone else says:

Johnson bought the Jets in 2000 for $635 million; less than a year ago, Forbes calculated the Jets were worth $3.2 billion. 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2020/07/22/woody-johnson-ny-jets-owner-and-us-ambassador-to-uk-accused-racist-sexist-comments/5487239002/

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I love them...

I was lead Singer back in College when we did a Cover for this Song......

Here is shout out to my college band..

"A Boy And Its Dog"........ singing some Steely Dan!!

A Boy and His Dog (1975 film) - Wikipedia

 

I want a name when I lose... 

Thank you for making me Smile!

I Owe You Big Time!

 Friends don't owe! Isn't that a Rocky Balboa quote? I was a lead singer too, I think I still am?

My son is 17 and looks just like I did at his age and he plays five instruments and he's up my ass constantly.

I just asked him what his plans were this weekend and he has to work he has two jobs. He said he's itching to play.

Hey I've noticed that a lot of people on this board really understand the joy of music. It's a universal language and I'm glad we can all share.

My favorites are The Beatles, the Beasties, Stevie Wonder, Hall & Oates, Public Enemy, Ozzy, Steely Dan, Miles Davis, Sam & Dave, Ike Reilly, Pink Floyd oh, hell even The Blues Brothers and the list goes on and on.

 I'm glad we can share!

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

When the Johnsons announce Adam Gase is returning next year:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GracefulEmbellishedIcelandicsheepdog-small.gif

I don't want this to happen under any circumstances, but the anarchist in me would be interested in visiting the universe where Adam Gase is given a contract extension at the end of the year, just to see the reactions and watch this board burn. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You make some reasonable points and It's not entirely implausible, but IMO, there is no chance he is back if we get the number 1 pick and decide to move on from Sam.

Very possible, and I would absolutely hope that he isn't back.  If Gase failed with Darnold I wouldn't given him a second guy to ruin.

Further, if the Jets do land the #1 pick then they may HAVE TO let Gase go simply to signal to a QB like Trevor Lawrence that he wouldn't be stuck with Gase and possibly suffer the same fate that Darnold did.

 

39 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Gase was brought here to get the most out of Darnold. If the Jets move on from Darnold, it means Gase failed in the most fundamental and important way possible. We aren't saddling Trevor Lawrence (or Justin Fields, for that matter) with an 0-16 or 1-15 Adam Gase. Not happening. 

Gase's only chance to be back next year is for Darnold to suddenly start to play well, to the point that we win enough games for Douglas to commit to him going forward. 

Agree with all of this.  If it will be Darnold for next year then I think Gase stays, and Douglas continues to tank/rebuild model for another year as he targets a new HC/QB combo for 2022.  (Geez...can we wait that long?)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't want this to happen under any circumstances, but the anarchist in me would be interested in visiting the universe where Adam Gase is given a contract extension at the end of the year, just to see the reactions and watch this board burn. 

That would be a nice consolation prize.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Great post.

It makes me nauseous, but you make great points.

I threw up twice while typing it.  It's not what I want...but it's what I see possibly happening.  Trying to read the tealeaves here with this organization and prepare myself if Gase comes back.  I think a sizeable portion of the fanbase (and the planet) would be as prepared for Gase coming back in 2021 as they were for a global pandemic hitting last February.  Complete blindside, but it's possible unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't want this to happen under any circumstances, but the anarchist in me would be interested in visiting the universe where Adam Gase is given a contract extension at the end of the year, just to see the reactions and watch this board burn. 

 

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

That would be a nice consolation prize.

 

Just wait until the Jets go from having the #1 pick to the #3 pick in something like Week 15 or 16.

There won't be enough gasoline in the world to fuel the inferno people would want to light here if all of Woody, Gase, Darnold and Douglas are back for 2021. lol

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Investors?  The Johnsons own the team.  Woody as principal and Chris as minority owner.

And here's why the Johnsons could give a crap about what the media, fans or anyone else says:

Johnson bought the Jets in 2000 for $635 million; less than a year ago, Forbes calculated the Jets were worth $3.2 billion. 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2020/07/22/woody-johnson-ny-jets-owner-and-us-ambassador-to-uk-accused-racist-sexist-comments/5487239002/

Not minority owners, investors as in your vendors, sponsors, ect...  that's what I meant.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I threw up twice while typing it.  It's not what I want...but it's what I see possibly happening.  Trying to read the tealeaves here with this organization and prepare myself if Gase comes back.  I think a sizeable portion of the fanbase (and the planet) would be as prepared for Gase coming back in 2021 as they were for a global pandemic hitting last February.  Complete blindside, but it's possible unfortunately.

I felt the same way reading it while saying to myself "S*it, he might be right" lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Just wait until the Jets go from having the #1 pick to the #3 pick in something like Week 15 or 16.

There won't be enough gasoline in the world to fuel the inferno people would want to light here if all of Woody, Gase, Darnold and Douglas are back for 2021. lol

simpsons laughing GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

1. A lot of the bad FA moves are clearly moves he pushed for.

2. The highest profile departures featured big "name" players who publicly said he sucks on the way out.

3. Even if he's a dead man walking he's still fighting for his job -- and potentially thinking about his next job. Throwing everyone else under the bus doesn't really help him.

4. Even if he was in on a "tear it down and build it up" approach -- that doesn't mean anyone expected it to be this bad or that he isn't the obvious fall guy for this disaster of a season (I say fall guy, but to be clear he is in fact more to blame than anyone else for what this team is right now.)

That was what, after Week 1? I haven't heard ringing endorsements from Johnson recently.

And really, Woody strikes me as the one to pull the plug quicker than Christopher. I wouldn't be shocked if Woody didn't relish coming home to clean up little brother's mess.

 

Here I think you're totally off.

First overall pick, lots of picks including four first rounders in the next two years, Trevor Lawrence, a GM with a good reputation, tons of cap space to remake the roster as you see fit.

This is a great spot for a new coach.

 

 

All good points.  I'm simply citing reasons that it may not go the way we think.  Again, I don't know if it's a 30% chance, a 50/50 or what.  

But I'm just saying the possibiliy exists.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

 

Regarding your final point about the Jets being a great place for a HC to come.  I mostly agree, but the Jets were also a "prime spot" in 2019 when Darnold was thought to be a FQB, the Jets had the #3 overall pick and tons of Cap space.  It got us a recycled Adam Gase.  I also think a HC candidate would need a guarantee that Trevor Lawrence was coming out in the Draft and says he'd play for the Jets before that #1 pick is considered as valuable as it should be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Not minority owners, investors as in your vendors, sponsors, ect...  that's what I meant.

 

22 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Investors?  The Johnsons own the team.  Woody as principal and Chris as minority owner.

And here's why the Johnsons could give a crap about what the media, fans or anyone else says:

Johnson bought the Jets in 2000 for $635 million; less than a year ago, Forbes calculated the Jets were worth $3.2 billion. 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2020/07/22/woody-johnson-ny-jets-owner-and-us-ambassador-to-uk-accused-racist-sexist-comments/5487239002/

They bought the team without a building/stadium. Now they co-own that monstrosity which has to be worth more than a billion for their half of it (not factoring how much they might owe for building loans, cost etc).

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Regarding your final point about the Jets being a great place for a HC to come.  I mostly agree, but the Jets were also a "prime spot" in 2019 when Darnold was thought to be a FQB, the Jets had the #3 overall pick and tons of Cap space.  It got us a recycled Adam Gase.  I also think a HC candidate would need a guarantee that Trevor Lawrence was coming out in the Draft and says he'd play for the Jets before that #1 pick is considered as valuable as it should be.

This is true -- and had it not been for Mike Maccagnan I think we would have made a great hire (Matt Rhule.)

This time Joe Douglas will be in the Mac role and I'm counting on him not to F it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Warfish said:

Why?  Because he probably will be.  It's peak Jetsyness.

On the bright side, it'll be fatal for my fandom, which could always be a blessing in disguise.

My son is early 20s.  When I told him I thought Gase would be back?  For the first time I heard back words which I have said many times over the decades:  "If they keep Gase, I'm not watching any Jet games next season".  Ah, the power of the SOJF --even in the young and naive--is strong, my friends

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, freestater said:

Why? It's not a reassuring feeling, lemme tell ya. If Dowell is calling the plays, just make him interim HC. Watch us get two wins to drop us out of the first pick and Chris Johnson see it as a sign that Gase has sh*t turned around. It would be the Jets way of doing things. 

image.jpg

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

 Friends don't owe! Isn't that a Rocky Balboa quote? I was a lead singer too, I think I still am?

My son is 17 and looks just like I did at his age and he plays five instruments and he's up my ass constantly.

I just asked him what his plans were this weekend and he has to work he has two jobs. He said he's itching to play.

Hey I've noticed that a lot of people on this board really understand the joy of music. It's a universal language and I'm glad we can all share.

My favorites are The Beatles, the Beasties, Stevie Wonder, Hall & Oates, Public Enemy, Ozzy, Steely Dan, Miles Davis, Sam & Dave, Ike Reilly, Pink Floyd oh, hell even The Blues Brothers and the list goes on and on.

 I'm glad we can share!

 

Love your list Man!!!  

You can't go wrong there!

:) 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its pretty simple to me .The Roster is bad..no doubt...but its not 0-8 bad .
So therefore i think Gase could have get another Year if the Team somehow was and is competitive  .  Answer is the Team is not and thats the reason why Gase will be gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...