Sam not practicing

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because if we lose 16 it should be apparent to all that Sam isnt our guy.  

Being this close to have the chance of drafting someone as highly ranked as TL with Fields as the consolation prize it makes no sense to not hold out for either of them.  QB is that important.  We have a lot of draft capital to use or maneuver around with.  We have tons of cap space.  We can get players

Get the QB when you can.

Yup literally every other position you can acquire fairly easy (besides LT but we have that covered) 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, genot said:

This pic accurately depicts what a QB feels like when he is trying to perform with the Jet's present talent on offense

So the better plan is too draft a lot of offensive talent and then scramble finding a scrapheap QB later on?  

25 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Wassup with this notion of “Sam shouldn’t be our there, this organization is killing him” UMMMMM HE REALIZES THE TEAM SUCKS/WILL GET THE FIRST PICK AND ARE MOVING ON COME NEXT SEASON REGARDLESS HOW HE PLAYS YHE WRITING IS ON THE WALL.

You don’t pass on the potential great that will potentially carry you’re sorry franchise for a JAG that needs 100 mill plus in cap space to look even decent. Sam realizes this and these 8 games will decide his NFL fate, post Jets 

But the real question is DO YOU THINK 

Sam shouldn’t be our there 

or

Sam should be our there. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

What I mean is that, genot is speculating that despite being in a position to draft an elite prospect, we should surround our current QB with better players, and then, if it doesn't work, draft a QB.  What if we end up going 5-11 next year, and the year after that.  Consistently picking in the 8-11 range.  Who knows how Lawrence and Fields play out, but opportunities to draft an elite prospect are rare.  You don't pass them up because you have a QB on your roster who's currently performing at worst in the league bad, and also can't stay healthy.

I absolutely agree with you.  Those same people say "there are good QB prospects every year".  First off, no (the 2013 EJ Manuel/Geno Smith class comes to mind), and secondly, kicking the can down the road on QB's is always a lousy decision.  The better bet is to draft the QB, decide quickly if he's the goods, and if not, draft another one as soon as you can.  A team with a bust QB should be picking high to help with this. 

It's better to draft a bust and move on quickly than to pass on QBs entirely when you need one.  The Cardinals with Josh Rosen and Kyler Murray are evidence of this.  And all the examples you listed of teams passing on a QB when the opportunity rises are examples of this.

GM's don't usually operate like this, since they put all their chips to the center on QB's and tend to get fired if they fail.  But that doesn't make it a wise decision to honor that sunken cost.  Owners just need to stop being trigger happy when their GM drafts a bust at QB.  Hey, it happens, move on to the next one.

1 hour ago, genot said:

This pic accurately depicts what a QB feels like when he is trying to perform with the Jet's present talent on offense

Actually it represents the gesticulating homers playing excuse twister trying to tell us he’s a secret franchise QB in hiding 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah but Rosen had just 1 season and their OL that year was as bad or worse than Darnold's played behind, for all the crying over us having the worst OL in the history of teh footballs. Darnold's much more of a proven failure after 3 years than Rosen was after 1 year.

Plus Rosen had 3 more cheap years remaining (3 yrs/$7MM), where Darnold has just 1 (1 yr/$5MM). So Rosen could hold a clipboard and get stashed and still get 2 more cheap years before the 5th yr option. If you pick up Darnold in 2021, you have to start him right away because he's either a UFA after that or the team has to pick up his $25-30MM 5th yr option. That 5th yr option is only guaranteed for injury, but Darnold isn't exactly The Iron Horse

On the flip side, late 2017 / early 2018 media hype about Rosen aside, Darnold was probably more widely seen as the superior prospect in NFL circles; and that's why Rosen went from 1B to Darnold's 1A down to being the 4th QB taken. 

Anyway I think the short remaining contact before a really hurts Darnold's trade value. So while I get the idea behind a team with an old starter wanting to pick him up and hold a clipboard for a Brees, Ben, Brady type, that doesn't really work because (absent the starter retiring or getting injured) they won't see Darnold in live game action until it's time to pay him more than any non-QB in football. 

preach GIF

We ain't getting a first or even a second for Darnold. 4th is my bet (with us giving back a 6th). Dear all, feel free to bump and mock if I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

Actually it represents the gesticulating homers playing excuse twister trying to tell us he’s a secret franchise QB in hiding 

Sam has flashed some serious skills here. He hasn't come close to being consistent enough, i grant you that. Perhaps there are reasons for that . Perhaps that s who he is as a QB. Nobody,but nobody on this forum can say with certainty what applies to Sam

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Every professional athlete has flashed... that's why they are pros. Consistency is literally the only thing that matters.

Good post,and i agree. We and other posters just disagree about when it would make sense to cut bait.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

the problem with JN is that we count practices every year as if they coundt in realgames, take the parctice report BS and shove it..

produce during real games or you are out, hit the ****ingbricks

Practice reports aren't to blame.  It's the aspects of practice reports that people choose to focus on and the parts they choose to ignore that's the problem.  For instance, when the 1st team offense couldn't do sh*t against the 2nd team defense, THAT was a very big red flag.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll stop you right there.  No, he hasn't.  

Watch more NFL games and other QB's, please.  Nothing, absolutely nothing, Darnold did demonstrated a high level skillset compared to other QBs around the league.  Nothing he does is special.  

Correct. If you really stop watching the Jets, and tune into a team with a low end or mediocre starter, you will see "flashes" too. In fact, they couple those plays without the terrible, head scratching, bone head plays Sam still makes weekly.

Yes, Sam may have more upside than a guy like Teddy B, but you know who else has HUGE upside? Jameis Winston.

Who is currently a back up QB.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MARTIN said:

Correct. If you really stop watching the Jets, and tune into a team with a low end or mediocre starter, you will see "flashes" too. In fact, they couple those plays without the terrible, head scratching, bone head plays Sam still makes weekly.

Yes, Sam may have more upside than a guy like Teddy B, but you know who else has HUGE upside? Jameis Winston.

Who is currently a back up QB.

Literally every team in the league looks like they are playing football. Darnold-led Jets do not. As I said when we were all guffawing the Fins at beginning of the year—they are a lot closer to the Chiefs than we are to the Fins. Unsurprisingly that’s been proven convincingly.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Practice reports aren't to blame.  It's the aspects of practice reports that people choose to focus on and the parts they choose to ignore that's the problem.  For instance, when the 1st team offense couldn't do sh*t against the 2nd team defense, THAT was a very big red flag.  

The 1st team defense against 2nd team offense also. 1st teamers are complacent. This points to coaching and management structures. 

It's a big clusterblank which needs to change.

1 hour ago, Snook said:

The 1st team defense against 2nd team offense also. 1st teamers are complacent. This points to coaching and management structures. 

It's a big clusterblank which needs to change.

Sure, complacency was part of it.  But the level of suckage was amazing, based on those reports.  The 1st team offense couldn't move the ball at all.  Even a complacent, half-a$$ing offense of any of the other 31 NFL teams could have gone out and put up 3-4 scores on the 2nd team defense in a scrimmage.  The Darnold-led offense wasn't even close to that.

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, complacency was part of it.  But the level of suckage was amazing, based on those reports.  The 1st team offense couldn't move the ball at all.  Even a complacent, half-a$$ing offense of any of the other 31 NFL teams could have gone out and put up 3-4 scores on the 2nd team defense in a scrimmage.  The Darnold-led offense wasn't even close to that.

I agree. My point was the 2nd string offense was doing the same thing to the 1st string defense.

This is a very odd pattern.

• Upvote 1

People here celebrate what would be a routine play for 30 other teams Iike they just saw Moses part the Red Sea. Its pathetic and absurd.

For every 1 "Flash" Darnold has, there are 3-4 mind numbing, bone headed plays 
I'll take decent arm talent with high awareness and intelligence over elite skills and bone head lack of both every tine.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

People here celebrate what would be a routine play for 30 other teams Iike they just saw Moses part the Red Sea. Its pathetic and absurd.

For every 1 "Flash" Darnold has, there are 3-4 mind numbing, bone headed plays 

I mean, is it really “people here?”  Because in this thread it’s really just the guy who still thinks Macc did a good job.

• Haha 1