Sam not practicing

Rhg1084

not that this is related particularly to our latest bad USC QB...

but

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/nov/05/under-pressure-why-athletes-choke

“Stereotype threat” is the idea that when a negative image becomes associated with a group, it takes on a life of its own, and the outcome and behaviours are more likely to be repeated. In a classic study on this subject from 1999, scientists asked men and women to take an arithmetic test. Some students were told that men and women performed equally well on the test; the others were told that men performed better. When the scientists told the women that women performed just as well as men, they subsequently performed as well as the men on the test. When women were told that women tended to perform worse, they performed worse than men on the test. Being made aware of the stereotype seemed to affect whether participants would adhere to it or not.

Stereotype threat can permeate sport, too. It can affect “any situation where you have the possibility or worry that people might judge you based on your inclusion in a certain group – that could be race, that could be gender, that could be the team you play on,” said Sian Beilock, the cognitive scientist and author of Choke:

6 minutes ago, genot said:

You can point out the occasions whe're he's missed open receivers. None of that came close to determining the outcome of any game. The offense sucks because he has no protection and no receiver that is competent enough to adjust his route, to bail out his QB.  Though that would be Herndon, but he's takin a dump this year too

Certainly they do, and even in the games where they didn't impact the outcome, they most certainly should impact your evaluation of a QB and how you think he'll do in games that are a lot more competitive. 

Those missed throws are the difference between a 3-point win (or more) and a 3 or 4 point loss (or more).  They're also what separates a franchise QB from a backup QB.  They add up over 30+ starts.  

Just because Darnold isn't the ONLY reason the offense sucks doesn't mean he isn't a big reason.  And he also hasn't proven once that he can be a SOLUTION to the offense being good.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If you are a team that is drafting at the top of the draft, you draft a QB if you need one.  That rookie deal is very powerful, and the team likely needs to spend the money elsewhere given it is drafting at the top of the round.

If you are a better team drafting lower, that still needs a backup or successor QB, that team needs to trade for one or sign one in FA.  The Titans signed Tannehill, the Bucs Brady, the Bears Foles, the Patriots Newton.  The Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph at the bottom of the second round.  

Someone will give up a draft pick to take a chance on Darnold.  I don't know whether it is a first round pick anymore.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I wouldn't blame him if he simply refuses to play for this garbage anymore.

No team has ever handled a franchise QB worse than this - It's simply not possible.

You could write a book on exactly what NOT to do when you draft a QB #3 overall.  Just about everything they did was wrong. 

Think of one thing they did write to support him? I can't.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rosen didn't shine right away.  Darnold hasn't shone in 3 years.  Do you really think Darnold carries more trade value in 2021 than Rosen did in 2019?

No. Im just refuse at this point to entertain the idea of trading Sam. Im very stubborn on this. Maybe ill change my mind when the season is over. Now,im not judging him because of the shi..... going on around him

2 minutes ago, genot said:

No. Im just refuse at this point to entertain the idea of trading Sam. Im very stubborn on this. Maybe ill change my mind when the season is over. Now,im not judging him because of the shi..... going on around him

Well I'm certainly happy to know you're not the GM!  Just about any player can be traded for the right price in this league.  No successful GM outright refuses to trade a player on his roster.

If Darnold truly is untradeable, well then he just needs to go out and prove it.  Play so well that we're out of the running for Lawrence and Fields and put the argument to bed.

If we finish the season picking in the top 3, then Darnold is surely a goner.  Sorry not sorry.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, genot said:

We don't need just players. We need some studs. On both sides of the ball. The more high round picks we have increases the likelihood that we draft those kind of players. The more picks we have gives JD an easier chance to trade up to draft players he likes, not just in the top two rds,but beyond that

Meh, I like the idea of trading down but not if you miss out on Lawrence or Fields.  Sam sucks.  We're back to -nothing else matters if you don have a QB- situation.  They have a LT, hopefully Mims hits....a Lawrence or Fields/Pitts/Etienne/Williams type draft, which is possible, is a franchise changing draft.  A draft filled with a bunch of defenders and non impact position players, does nothing for this franchise.  We've seen that before.

• Upvote 2

I can’t think of a dumber move for this franchise to make  then letting Darnold play this weekend.  Darnold has injured his throwing shoulder twice in the past eight games and so they should be taking advantage of next week’s bye week by letting Sam sit and HEAL for two more weeks.  I could see pushing it this weekend with him, but this team has jack squat to play for right now except Gase’s ego.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, I like the idea of trading down but not if you miss out on Lawrence or Fields.  Sam sucks.  We're back to -nothing else matters if you don have a QB- situation.  They have a LT, hopefully Mims hits....a Lawrence or Fields/Pitts/Etienne/Williams type draft, which is possible, is a franchise changing draft.  A draft filled with a bunch of defenders and non impact position players, does nothing for this franchise.  We've seen that before.

If we trade down we could draft a top center and guard. Depending on who we trade down with we can have a proven quality WR,and stll have a bunch of picks to play with. Even if Sam isn't the answer,we would have a quality defense and offense in place for a QB to be drafted in 22.

4 minutes ago, genot said:

If we trade down we could draft a top center and guard. Depending on who we trade down with we can have a proven quality WR,and stll have a bunch of picks to play with. Even if Sam isn't the answer,we would have a quality defense and offense in place for a QB to be drafted in 22.

We can also draft a top WR, Center and Guard without moving down.  Elite IOL are found routinely in the 2nd-4th rounds.  

• Upvote 1

These Sam sympathizers are comical, the Browns fan base is debating on should Baker Mayfield get an extension and he’s showed way more than Darnold.

and yes I know “Sam has no help, just get him an all-pro o line, an all pro WR / Rb..” 

Joe Burrow is literally getting killed week end and week out and  YOU CAN STILL TELL THAT HE’S LEGIT! M

besides you give Darnold an extension? If so for how much? Besides It will be career suicide to pass on Trevor or Fields and they become the next greats (THAT CAN CARRY THIS SORRY TEAM) - something Sam has proven he cannot do 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Young Jetty said:

We need to pull out all the stops to keep losing lol

The Jets will have one penalty for 12 men on the field.  But they won't be called for anything the 15 times that they only put 10 men on the field.

(Cut to a shot of Joe Douglas handcuffing Jordan Jenkins to the bench on the sideline)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets will have one penalty for 12 men on the field.  But they won't be called for anything the 15 times that they only put 10 men on the field.

(Cut to a shot of Joe Douglas handcuffing Jordan Jenkins to the bench on the sideline)

Headline:  "Flacco Literally Throws Ball Backwards 6 Times for Safeties in 12-0 Loss". 

25 minutes ago, genot said:

Nope. I want a top tier QB. Don’t trust this team to pick a good QB outside the top 5. I want the can’t miss guys. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

These Sam sympathizers are comical, the Browns fan base is debating on should Baker Mayfield get an extension and he’s showed way more than Darnold.

and yes I know “Sam has no help, just get him an all-pro o line, an all pro WR / Rb..” 

Joe Burrow is literally getting killed week end and week out and  YOU CAN STILL TELL THAT HE’S LEGIT! M

besides you give Darnold an extension? If so for how much? Besides It will be career suicide to pass on Trevor or Fields and they become the next greats (THAT CAN CARRY THIS SORRY TEAM) - something Sam has proven he cannot do 

Sam was sposed to lead the way by being a topQB...   he has played like a mediocre b/u who happens to be starting...

Fitz is a better QB than Sam

• Upvote 3

Regardless if Sam has a future on this team or not, he shouldn’t be playing in this game. 

We’re out of contention, plus with a bye week looming he should be given the rest and re-evaluated after the bye.

If he’s the future, why risk it on a wasted game?

If he’s not the future, protect the kid from himself and start shredding the reputation this regime has of not caring for injured players (Enunwa, Osemele, etc). This sort of thing is a true detractor for free agents.

More Jetsy stuff from this team, unbelievable. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

You see people talking about Sam getting max franchise QB money? Where are the Jets fans saying this?

I don't understand people who can't tell the difference between "we've not seen what Sam can do with a better system around him" and the talk of a fanbase who has seen their guy with a system around him and they see that more than 50% of the time he is not performing up to the standard of talent of that team.

• WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

How often are you in a position to draft an elite prospect at QB that you'd pass it up for a center and a guard?

I'd say the Colts when they took Quenton Nelson at 6, but they didn't pass on an elite QB prospect and also got three 2nd rounders out of the deal.  

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd say the Colts when they took Quenton Nelson at 6, but they didn't pass on an elite QB prospect and also got three 2nd rounders out of the deal.  

What I mean is that, genot is speculating that despite being in a position to draft an elite prospect, we should surround our current QB with better players, and then, if it doesn't work, draft a QB.  What if we end up going 5-11 next year, and the year after that.  Consistently picking in the 8-11 range.  Who knows how Lawrence and Fields play out, but opportunities to draft an elite prospect are rare.  You don't pass them up because you have a QB on your roster who's currently performing at worst in the league bad, and also can't stay healthy.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Every time. All these people who love crappy quarterbacks out of some weird sense of obligation read that question as would you take a free center and guard or no.

Mawae to Mangold and all the championships it brought!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well I'm certainly happy to know you're not the GM!  Just about any player can be traded for the right price in this league.  No successful GM outright refuses to trade a player on his roster.

If Darnold truly is untradeable, well then he just needs to go out and prove it.  Play so well that we're out of the running for Lawrence and Fields and put the argument to bed.

If we finish the season picking in the top 3, then Darnold is surely a goner.  Sorry not sorry.

genot would've told Vikings to pound sand when they offered a dynasty for Hershel Walker.

• Haha 1

Regardless if Sam has a future on this team or not, he shouldn’t be playing in this game. 
We’re out of contention, plus with a bye week looming he should be given the rest and re-evaluated after the bye.
If he’s the future, why risk it on a wasted game?
If he’s not the future, protect the kid from himself and start shredding the reputation this regime has of not caring for injured players (Enunwa, Osemele, etc). This sort of thing is a true detractor for free agents.
More Jetsy stuff from this team, unbelievable. 
More free agents would be a sign nothing has changed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, jgb said:

People love to cite Rosen... who sucked for far less time than Darnold.

Yeah but Rosen had just 1 season and their OL that year was as bad or worse than Darnold's played behind, for all the crying over us having the worst OL in the history of teh footballs. Darnold's much more of a proven failure after 3 years than Rosen was after 1 year.

Plus Rosen had 3 more cheap years remaining (3 yrs/$7MM), where Darnold has just 1 (1 yr/$5MM). So Rosen could hold a clipboard and get stashed and still get 2 more cheap years before the 5th yr option. If you pick up Darnold in 2021, you have to start him right away because he's either a UFA after that or the team has to pick up his $25-30MM 5th yr option. That 5th yr option is only guaranteed for injury, but Darnold isn't exactly The Iron Horse

On the flip side, late 2017 / early 2018 media hype about Rosen aside, Darnold was probably more widely seen as the superior prospect in NFL circles; and that's why Rosen went from 1B to Darnold's 1A down to being the 4th QB taken. 

Anyway I think the short remaining contact before a really hurts Darnold's trade value. So while I get the idea behind a team with an old starter wanting to pick him up and hold a clipboard for a Brees, Ben, Brady type, that doesn't really work because (absent the starter retiring or getting injured) they won't see Darnold in live game action until it's time to pay him more than any non-QB in football. 

• Post of the Week 1

Wassup with this notion of “Sam shouldn’t be our there, this organization is killing him” UMMMMM HE REALIZES THE TEAM SUCKS/WILL GET THE FIRST PICK AND ARE MOVING ON COME NEXT SEASON REGARDLESS HOW HE PLAYS YHE WRITING IS ON THE WALL.

You don’t pass on the potential great that will potentially carry you’re sorry franchise for a JAG that needs 100 mill plus in cap space to look even decent. Sam realizes this and these 8 games will decide his NFL fate, post Jets