Trade down and Trey?

Losmeister

I'm intrigue by Lance as well. I saw some film, that while highlights, gave me some worry though. He runs like a tank into and over defenders, he won't be able to do that in the NFL, and that stuff will get him hurt unless he starts running around the defender like LJ. However, he has a big arm, is athletic, young, seems to make good decision with the ball, and has a pro athlete father (CFL CB). I wonder where he's expected to go with limited tape and lower competition.

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2020/06/24/matt-waldmans-rsp-film-room-no-200-with-mark-schofield-qb-trey-lance-north-dakota-state/

this not saying " I think we should do this!"

this is asking " Is this something worth considering?" certainly a brand of thinking outside the box!

Hot take 

when the draft process is over Trey Lance is ranked as the #2 QB.

• Upvote 2

Yes. This should be a legitimate option. Lance has the same skill set as Fields. If we’re saying drafting QBs are hit or miss, than I’m not sure why this doesn’t get talked about more. Trade down and possibly get a 2022 1st. Take Lance.

Trading down is a good option whether we go QB or not.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Losmeister said:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2020/06/24/matt-waldmans-rsp-film-room-no-200-with-mark-schofield-qb-trey-lance-north-dakota-state/

this not saying " I think we should do this!"

this is asking " Is this something worth considering?" certainly a brand of thinking outside the box!

Can we call this the "Trey down scenario"?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Lance wouldn't be the first quarterback selected in the first round with limited starting experience in college. Since the 2006 NFL draft, according to ESPN Stats & Information research, six quarterbacks have been taken in the first round with fewer than 20 college starts: Mitchell Trubisky (13), Cam Newton (14), Dwayne Haskins (14), Mark Sanchez (16), Kyler Murray (17) and Ryan Tannehill (19).

That's not a good group overall.

Daniel Jeremiah noted in his podcast that Lance had so few snaps, compared to the other qbs, and went on to highlight the importance of that experience as you guys have noted above.    I could see a team that can sit him for a year or two picking Lance and developing a good player.  But he may have a difficult time if forced to start right away for a team that is rebuilding. 

19 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

OK. One of the more accurate predictors of NFL success is the # of games played in collect.  Lance has not played nearly enough games. Pass.  Better?  Same point though.  

i thought maybe you had some data...    not to be argumentative....