Cheap Running Backs in Free Agency

predator_05

Everyone has heard of the big name WRs hitting free agency, but there's little to no discussion on the RBs:

Aaron Jones, Kenyan Drake, Chris Carson, Philip Lindsay, James Conner, Gus Edwards.

Most are injury-prone, but good committee backs.

Aaron Jones averages over 5 yards a carry - one of the better RBs in the league - and won't cost more than $10 million a year, which is reasonable. The Packers drafted AJ Dillon in the early 2nd round, and they're not the type of front office that spends money on RB. 

Lindsay is the cheapest option, undersized back that somehow put up back to back 1000 yard seasons. By all accounts, a good team-mate and an excellent pro. 

Gus Edwards is the one i like best; averages 5 yards a carry,  an efficient runner and very affordable. Played great for the Ravens this year, and he's actually from New York.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I'm only spending money in free agency on premium positions. O line, Edge, WR and CB. If we were a RB away, maybe. But we should draft a RB. 

Enough with the free agent RBs like Bell who already have a ton of mileage

We need to sign a bunch of DBs in the offseason plus resign Maye

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

But a lot of these guys don't have a ton of mileage. And they're cheap. Bell was just an awful contract, his agent fleeced the Jets. 

Douglas refused to give Robbie more than $10 million a year, maybe he's a little more willing to spend $6-8 million on a feature RB. 

4 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

But a lot of these guys don't have a ton of mileage. And they're cheap. Bell was just an awful contract, his agent fleeced the Jets. 

Douglas refused to give Robbie more than $10 million a year, maybe he's a little more willing to spend $6-8 million on a feature RB. 

WRs don’t go through anywhere near the physical punishment that even part time RBs do.

you might not think a guy like Aaron Jones doesn’t have a ton of mileage but he’s been a featured nfl running back for 3 years now. 

A lot depends on what we have in Ty Johnson.  He has looked good in limited play, no idea how he would perform with more reps over a long season, but he was productive when given a chance.  He and Perine are under contract next season.  Add a guy in day 2 of the draft and a cheap FA option as insurance and that could be fine.  If Johnson's one good game was an aberration, then we have some work to do and I would consider an Aaron Jones type.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, plenty of RB's in the draft but I think the next coach has a lot to do with the type of players we will target in Free Agency.  There has to be a vision and the know how to execute this time around.

This is how I feel. Personally, I like the RB by committee approach, but if they make Arthur Smith head coach, and he wants his Travis Henry in the draft, I'm not gonna be upset about it. 

Also, to the OP, $10/year for a RB =/= cheap, lol. This is a position that frequently gets filled with UDFAs. 

• Upvote 1

On a team desperate for playmakers-Jones is a legit playmaker and as close to Kamara as you’re going to find in the league. Doubt GB let’s him shake free, but yes with the amount of cap space  the Jets have, a no brainer to pursue. Has averaged 5.2 YPC per his career. Only 600ish carries to date too.

15 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Lindsay is the only guy that’s remotely interesting.  That said, I think you draft RBs, use them up, and draft some more.   We’ll see what type of offense the Jets will be running in 2021 once the staff is in place, that will clarify the type of back to target.  

41 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I'm only spending money in free agency on premium positions. O line, Edge, WR and CB. If we were a RB away, maybe. But we should draft a RB. 

I never liked drafting RBs. Especially with early picks. Look what happened with Barkley and McCaffrey this year; high draft picks with little to no impact on the team's overall record and performance. Look at Derrius Guice, drafted by Washington to be 'the guy', but he can barely get on the field.

No other position carries as much risk, while offering such little reward in terms of longevity. They're one hit away from becoming useless.

Better to use those picks on DL or OL, and take the cheap route with proven free agent RBs.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Also, to the OP, $10/year for a RB =/= cheap, lol. This is a position that frequently gets filled with UDFAs. 

That's the higher end of RB salary. $8 million guaranteed, for a guy averaging 5 yards a carry is more than reasonable for a team with cap $$ to spare

10 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I never liked drafting RBs. Especially with early picks. Look what happened with Barkley and McCaffrey this year; high draft picks with little to no impact on the team's overall record. Look at Derrius Guice, drafted by Washington to be 'the guy', but he can barely get on the field.

No other position carries as much risk, while offering such little reward in terms of longevity. They're one hit away from becoming useless.

Better to use those picks on DL or OL, and take the cheap route with proven free agent RBs.

I’m not advocating drafting a RB early, but paying FA prices for RBs isn’t ideal.   A good RB on a rookie contract is great value and has more upside than a JAG vet playing for peanuts.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, predator_05 said:

That's the higher end of RB salary. $8 million guaranteed, for a guy averaging 5 yards a carry is more than reasonable for a team with cap $$ to spare

Agreed that it's an option, just not a cheap one. :) 

7 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I never liked drafting RBs. Especially with early picks. Look what happened with Barkley and McCaffrey this year; high draft picks with little to no impact on the team's overall record and performance. Look at Derrius Guice, drafted by Washington to be 'the guy', but he can barely get on the field.

You don’t like drafting RBs but you want to pay veteran RBs with lots of miles on them big guaranteed money like we just did

8 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I never liked drafting RBs. Especially with early picks. Look what happened with Barkley and McCaffrey this year; high draft picks with little to no impact on the team's overall record. Look at Derrius Guice, drafted by Washington to be 'the guy', but he can barely get on the field.

Agree 100%. I look at Elliott for the Cowboys.... another stupid contract by Jerruh! RB's are hungry for the 2nd contract. In most instances they don't perform up to the 2nd contract..... Kamara being the exception for now. Draft them or sign UDFA, give them opportunity and let them sign their next contract with another team.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Agreed, both Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams from GB are free agents who can run between the tackles, can catch and who dont have a ton of milage.  AJ Dillon will be the 1 or 2 RB in GB next year so one of Jones or Williams will definitely be available.

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Agreed, both Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams from GB are free agents who can run between the tackles, can catch and who dont have a ton of milage.  AJ Dillon will be the 1 or 2 RB in GB next year so one of Jones or Williams will definitely be available.

Williams is the odd man out in that situation.  Aaron Rodgers LOVES Jones and I think they will make every attempt to sign him, if not I could see them franchising him.  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Meh, plenty of RB's in the draft but I think the next coach has a lot to do with the type of players we will target in Free Agency.  There has to be a vision and the know how to execute this time around.

Agreed. Hopefully CJ has finally learned his lesson.  Let JD handle the coaching hire and then the new coach and HD can work together to see what type of players they need for the team going forward 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You don’t like drafting RBs but you want to pay veteran RBs with lots of miles on them big guaranteed money like we just did

I don't like drafting RBs with day 1 picks. Drafting a guy on day 3 is perfectly fine, like they did with Perine. 

Someone like Gus Edwards doesn't have 'lots of miles', and he'd cost $5 million a year. That's not big money. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Williams is the odd man out in that situation.  Aaron Rodgers LOVES Jones and I think they will make every attempt to sign him, if not I could see them franchising him.  

I think they'll keep Willams. He's great in pass protection and one of the better pass-catching backs in the league. He's an affordable committee back. 

Jones is probably aiming for what Mixon and Cook received - something in the neighborhood of $12 million. I'm not sure the Packers can afford that. 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

As I've mentioned before, I think this is where Gase really f'ed us, not show casing Perine or Ty Johnson because we have no idea what we have. I would rather draft a back then spend a chunk of money on a FA but I'm not sure its smart to go into next season with a largely or completely unknown back field (Draft pick, Perine, Johnson). I would think JD is kind of forced to pick up a vet option somewhere just because we really have no idea what the RBs we have can produce. 

F*ck Adam Gase!?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Everyone has heard of the big name WRs hitting free agency, but there's little to no discussion on the RBs:

Aaron Jones, Kenyan Drake, Chris Carson, Philip Lindsay, James Conner, Gus Edwards.

Most are injury-prone, but good committee backs.

Aaron Jones averages over 5 yards a carry - one of the better RBs in the league - and won't cost more than $10 million a year, which is reasonable. The Packers drafted AJ Dillon in the early 2nd round, and they're not the type of front office that spends money on RB. 

Lindsay is the cheapest option, undersized back that somehow put up back to back 1000 yard seasons. By all accounts, a good team-mate and an excellent pro. 

Gus Edwards is the one i like best; averages 5 yards a carry,  an efficient runner and very affordable. Played great for the Ravens this year, and he's actually from New York.

You like the guy who is probably the least talented in the group?

I guess unlike the most talented. a jones. But I can't imagine they get rid of him. 

I rather just draft a guy in the second round.

Draft our future stud. Sign a veteran like Gus Edward’s who we know is a good rotational back, and gives us a veteran early in that can pick up the blitz (the #1 reason rookie RBs don’t get on the field). 

Save the big $$$ for some combination of Godwin, Robinson, TY Hilton or Curtis Samuel. Our entire WR room needs to be rebuilt, aside from Mims.

I would love it if we came into next year with Godwin, Samuel, Mims and a WR take within the first 2 rounds + a guy like Gus Edwards, Perine and a new rookie RB.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Draft our future stud. Sign a veteran like Gus Edward’s who we know is a good rotational back, and gives us a veteran early in that can pick up the blitz (the #1 reason rookie RBs don’t get on the field). 

Save the big $$$ for some combination of Godwin, Robinson, TY Hilton or Curtis Samuel. Our entire WR room needs to be rebuilt, aside from Mims.

I would love it if we came into next year with Godwin, Samuel, Mims and a WR take within the first 2 rounds + a guy like Gus Edwards, Perine and a new rookie RB.

Agreed, unless Jones becomes available. I dont see Godwin or Robinson shaking free. Hilton is kind of washed. Curtis Samuel is a definite yes and would be some payback for Anderson. 

Jones is almost Kamara. Can play every down. You give him what it takes, imo. You draft a back in rounds 3-4 too. Perine is depth and may be fighting for a spot next year.