Resting player cost Pittsburgh

Church01

The reason Pittsburgh got rolled by the Browns was the decision a week earlier to rest their players. I say, as much as I hate the Browns, serves them right. Your whole team vibe is messed up when you rest your starters and basically give the Browns a playoff spot so I their own fault.

i dont agree.

first TD was a 10 year pro bow center ******* up a snap

then interception bounces of a guys hands and gets picked....guy who has been dropping balls all year

i think there was another pick that bounced off ebron maybe?

and so on...what killed them yesterday were issues they have been having for weeks or just people ******* up basic things

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Church01 said:

The reason Pittsburgh got rolled by the Browns was the decision a week earlier to rest their players. I say, as much as I hate the Browns, serves them right. Your whole team vibe is messed up when you rest your starters and basically give the Browns a playoff spot so I their own fault.

It's like 2009.  Bengals were smug and rested everyone, laid down and let us into the playoffs.

Oops.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Church01 said:

This would make sense if you hadn't watched the Steelers since Thanksgiving. They'd collapsed long before week 17. 1-5 in their last 6 games, including losses to the WFT and Bengals.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

Resting a week historically is a benefit to teams it's the reason why there's byes ....when teams run into trouble or get stale is resting players for multiple weeks.  The Steelers just have a lot of holes I have no clue how they went 11-0.

Playing the NFC East inflated the AFC North’s records. 

1 hour ago, Church01 said:

The reason the Steelers lost is that were in complete meltdown freefall most of the 4th quarter of the season, losing 5 of their final 6 games, including the Playoff Game.

Whatever they had early on, they lost it, completely, around week 13 and never got it back.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

They are just not very good. Cleveland played so soft it almost let them back in the game.

I agree but if I knew I was going to see them in the first round of othe playoffs if I lost to them in week 17 , I wouldn't be resting players. I know they were playing bad at the end of the season but I still think this was a bad move.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

So this means that the Chiefs and Packers will get rolled this week?

Completely different but wouldn't surprise me. If your playing well or bad I would think you would want to keep playing unless you have a bunch of injuries. The way Aaron Rodgers is playing I'm not sure he needed a week off. 

I'd say resting cost them, but because if I'm going to into the playoffs and have the chance to end a division rival's ability to get into the playoffs...I do it. Especially if I am going to see them the next week. Division games can always turn sour even with a mismatch and then you have the playoffs on top of it. 

They should have played their starters for awhile and put Cleveland down the previous week. 

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i dont agree.

first TD was a 10 year pro bow center ******* up a snap

then interception bounces of a guys hands and gets picked....guy who has been dropping balls all year

i think there was another pick that bounced off ebron maybe?

and so on...what killed them yesterday were issues they have been having for weeks or just people ******* up basic things

It wasn't Pittsburgh's night.  Would have been very hard to recover from those plays.  Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way.

2 hours ago, Church01 said:

Remember that the Steelers lost their Bye week.... you need to rest guys at some point before trying to make another 4 week playoff push.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'd say resting cost them, but because if I'm going to into the playoffs and have the chance to end a division rival's ability to get into the playoffs...I do it. Especially if I am going to see them the next week. Division games can always turn sour even with a mismatch and then you have the playoffs on top of it. 

They should have played their starters for awhile and put Cleveland down the previous week. 

See above response

• WTF? 1

45 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Remember that the Steelers lost their Bye week.... you need to rest guys at some point before trying to make another 4 week playoff push.

3 weeks. The playoffs go for 3 weeks and there is a 1 week break before the Superbowl in which you can rest your players. 

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, Church01 said:

Did the rest make Pouncey hike the ball over Big Ben's head?  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

They went 1-4 at the end of the year, the win being a comeback victory, and barely beat a Ravens team ravaged by Covid. They've been struggling for over a month. Ben struggled at the end of the year and they were down depth on defense as well.

This happened way before the end of the year.

Yep, the Steelers were a sinking ship with an aging QB and a bit of an identity crisis. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Church01 said:

That and they played like crap

Like they played for the last part of the season.