Urban Meyer talking to Chargers - why not Jets?

WowOhWow

read his book.  he's a brilliant guy if not a football coach would have been a big CEO in corporate world.  Sometimes we get caught up in minutia like how many qbs has he developed?  my answer is who cares as long as we are a winner which i would bet on him being.  What great QBs did Bill Parcells "develop".  Benched Phil Simms than won the SB with him.  Another with Hostetler.  Another SB with Bledsoe.  Than Neil O'Donnell and Vinnie with the Jets.  Than Romo who he discovered with the Cowboys.  No Hall of Famers there only consistent thing was winning because he was a leader and motivator same as Urban Meyer.  That's what we are looking for.  Someone who can find a way to win regardless of personnel or scheme.  Hope Chris Johnson and Joe Douglas look at it the same way.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Urban is now linked to Jags and Bolts.  Why not us?  JD, ton of capital, QB to mold, a huge challenge to suit his ego?  I'd love to see him get an interview.

Crazy I know to think but maybe theyre not interested?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Eh, I don't know if I'd rule out the Chargers as a destination. Warm weather/climate, franchise QB in Herbert it looks like, good pieces there already, and an owner that would pay.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You could argue that the Chargers are actually a better job than the Jaguars. 

You could, I’m not saying it’s not legit. It’s just the timing is interesting given he’s been rumored to have been talking to Khan for awhile. Deal doesn’t get done suddenly he’s interested in other gigs... Seems a little suspect, although I’d actually agree Chargers is the best job, especially for Urban who is known for taking talented teams to the next level rather than building them from nothing.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's either of these cases, I think it fully has to do with roster control.  There were talks about the Chargers GM being on the hot seat, and Jags don't have a GM (other than the owner), so I think Meyer wants roster control.  JD seems to have that under his control here, therefore the job isn't nearly as attractive.  

I think the biggest issue for the jump from college to the NFL is the roster control.  In college, you are the man, and you can make anything disappear (as evidenced by allegations at both Florida and Ohio State), which means your word is the last word for the players.  In the NFL, it's different because your stars are getting paid more than you, and you don't have control over the roster.  I think the main play for him is having roster control and the ability to play GM to have an upper hand on the coach's authority, and mitigate some of the loss of power from college to NFL.  

Jets fans who think the one of the best head coaches in NCAA history brought down by cancel culture would come to Florham Park after the Eeyore's started crying, the airplanes started flying, the billboards went up, and the NY media went for blood after 4 measly Adam Gase weeks are certifiable.

Good thread.  I needed a good laugh. 

SAR I

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

He only likes Trevor or Herbert?  Besides, we're too deep into Saleh now.  Unless he leaves without being signed, you can forget about other candidates.

Incredible that he isn’t tripping over himself to come here to coach Fields a guy he would have familiarity with

Option A - live in San Diego, have Justin Herbert as your QB and have a stacked roster that was woefully mismanaged by Lynn

Option B - live in Florida with no state tax, get to draft Trevor Lawrence, get $12M a year

Option C - live in Bayonne, work for Woodrow/Chris Johnson, have Sam Darnold as your QB. 

Hmm. Hard choice.

26 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Option A - live in San Diego, have Justin Herbert as your QB and have a stacked roster that was woefully mismanaged by Lynn

Option B - live in Florida with no state tax, get to draft Trevor Lawrence, get $12M a year

Option C - live in Bayonne, work for Woodrow/Chris Johnson, have Sam Darnold as your QB. 

Hmm. Hard choice.

If i were him, i'd go Option A.  I think Herbert is already proven and his team is much further along than the others.  They might just have to pay a bit more to offset some of the taxes.  Either way, him taking one of those jobs will be beneficial to us by giving us more choices.