Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s

jgb

Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s

4 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I just assume people who thought Pennington post shoulder injury was still worth starting are wrong about everything. Especially at the end of his tenure here. 

Word...  @Pac is a great person to solicit advice from, and then do the opposite 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

Meanwhile Mangini cut Penny who promptly went to our hated rival and won the AFCE.

The ultimate drop mic moment to hater-nation.

If only the story ended there, we all know what happenned against Baltimore. Pathetic performance

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Indeed, the greatest mic drop ever was winning the division when two teams QBs were hurt, and the team introduced a college offense to hide you, and then you throw 4 picks in the wild card round loss.

I don't expect you to admit your entire platform disintegrated that year.  That would be acknowledging the years your diabolical faction spent debasing one of the best QBs we've ever had was the folly most knew it was.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pac said:

I don't expect you to admit your entire platform disintegrated that year.  That would be acknowledging the years your diabolical faction spent debasing one of the best QBs we've ever had was the folly most knew it was.

Mac or Penny, greatest jet or all time? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Pac said:

Indeed.  I always argued that Chad Pennington couldn’t throw 4 picks in the wild card round.  Boy was I wrong.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Isn't it amazing how the smart people on the board always end up being proven right in these QB debates?  The anti-Chads, Sanchez's, and Geno's all ended up right in the end.  And they'll end up right about Darnold being terrible, too.

We are all Jets fans. No shame in someone wanting the Jets QB to be good even when the signs point otherwise. If Joe Douglas runs a player out there, we have no choice but to support them.

• Upvote 1

I don't  thinknfhere was any question the Pennington  did not have the arm strength  to make some throws and DB were baiting him into making them and picking him off. He clearly was finished after that last shoulder injury. 

To me it's  Darnold because I believe there is a solid position due to his miss handling by the Jets, Mono, and the Pandemic,  and the roster turnover which was massive this last season, the closest thing we got to a normal look at him was his rookie season

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

We are all Jets fans. No shame in someone wanting the Jets QB to be good even when the signs point otherwise. If Joe Douglas runs a player out there, we have no choice but to support them.

We all WANT these QB's to do well.  I'm talking about correct predictions here!  

Too often people confuse the 2.  We've all wanted Pennington, Sanchez, Geno Smith and Darnold to become true franchise QBs.  No Jets fan rooted for these guys to fail.  They failed anyways.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, CTM said:

If only the story ended there, we all know what happenned against Baltimore. Pathetic performance

And then his career was effectively over after that point.  No Jets QB who failed here, or even had a modicum of brief success here, has ever gone on to success elsewhere.  With the lone possible exception being Ryan Fitzpatrick, who Pac hates for some reason, lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And then his career was effectively over after that point.  No Jets QB who failed here, or even had a modicum of brief success here, has ever gone on to success elsewhere.  With the lone possible exception being Ryan Fitzpatrick, who Pac hates for some reason, lol.

Meanwhile, as his career crashed and burned, the Jets went on to have greater success with a crappy rookie QB than the noodle ever did.  The laughable conclusions of some taken from the 2008 season is confirmation bias at its absolute finest.

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2021 at 1:36 PM, nyjunc said:

The only controversy about taking over for Vinny was the amount of time it took to happen.  When he took over the team was really struggling early in 2002 so there weren't any issues with him taking over.

Chad's issue was health, when healthy he was really good but he was rarely healthy.  

No there was a lot of controversy regarding that tho most of it was generated by WFAN talk show hosts who were absolutely in love with Vinny at the time

19 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

My first post on a Jets site was a farewell Vinny post. SAR immediately responded, informing me with evidence that Vinny was, in essence, overrated and that my admiration was due only to the low expectations for Jets QBs throughout the 90’s.

A great early memory. SAR present at the beginning.

I loved Vinny, 1998 was the best individual season for any QB in franchise history and he played well in Denver while his teammates let him down but he was never the same after the achilles injury.  He had some great moments but never recaptured that 98 magic

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No there was a lot of controversy regarding that tho most of it was generated by WFAN talk show hosts who were absolutely in love with Vinny at the time

I was at the gang green posting at the time, so many thought Chad wouldn't be good because he couldn't beat Vinny out.  Vinny was a specimen, no one likes better than him in practice throwing a football.  It took a while for Chad but he got his chance and delivered.  Unfortunately his body wasn't meant for pro football

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I was at the gang green posting at the time, so many thought Chad wouldn't be good because he couldn't beat Vinny out.  Vinny was a specimen, no one likes better than him in practice throwing a football.  It took a while for Chad but he got his chance and delivered.  Unfortunately his body wasn't meant for pro football

Vinny was old and slow by 2002.  He was durable(except in 199 ugh) but age caught on.  He was inaccurate and threw a lot of picks plus he wasn’t as mobile

I wanted Chad to start from the very beginning in 2002.  He ended up saving our season but physically the guy was made of glass and couldn’t throw 

20 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chad and Sanchez helped us win a lot of games and at least get close to super bowls.  If you cannot appreciate that then you deserve what we have seen since Sanchez left

Ah, this is some classic junk right here... undying love for the team's greatest albatrosses, to the disturbing point of celebrating the ongoing team failures, thanks in no small part to his heroes' direct responsibility for the shortcomings of the some of the greatest overall rosters in team history.

The noodle in particular never got anyone "close to super bowls" unless he happened to drive someone to the stadium.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Too often people confuse the 2.  We've all wanted Pennington, Sanchez, Geno Smith and Darnold to become true franchise QBs.  No Jets fan rooted for these guys to fail.  They failed anyways.  

I don't want it to rain but I still carry an umbrella in my bag when I go to work.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe you weren't around for the Pennington stuff lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Sanchez, and all the others were pretty much cut and dried. Penny was very much the biggest debate

They only seem cut and dry now but there were plenty who still believed in Geno and Sanchez after they left the Jets. Will be same for Darnold.