Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s

jgb

Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Most Divisive Jets QB Debate of the 2000s

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Pennington and it's not even close.

Please.  It was obvious that Chad Pennington was a limp, glass noodle more consumed with his completion percentage than actually making plays to win games.  Universally hated.

Mark Sanchez is the second-best quarterback in Jets history, on this we all agree.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 12
  • Haha 3

Pennington.

Just look at the numbers for the rest of the guys, the fact that they sucked was pretty clear cut and dry after a while.

Pennington had the crazy completion numbers, and at times was fantastic. However he was mostly a game manager with a weaker arm who got close to big success multiple times but never really got there. I think of him in a similar vein to Alex Smith.

With him there was an actual debate to be had about sucking or not, and the fanbase raged on and on.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

Not being in any particular forum back then, I assumed Pennington was universally liked. 

Seeing the reactions to him now, I have to think back then must've been brutal. 

I remember assuming he was popular among our fans when I signed up. I loved the guy.

It was a rude awakening.

@Barton vs @ECURB was serious craic. 

• Upvote 2

The first game to which I took my son was the playoff game when we beat the Colts, with Peyton Manning, 41-0.   Mike Greenberg, whom I really like, was arguing with Golic that Chad was better than Manning.  The next week we played the Raiders.  After that game, I told my son,  “We will never win the Super Bowl with Chad.”   The Raiders played press coverage, and Chad simply did not have the arm strength to complete a pass outside the numbers.  I loved Chad as a person, but...

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

WHY DO THIS!!!

lol

For jgb's next thread....  How many Super Bowls would the Jets have won if they just stayed put and took Dan Marino who eventually retired so that Tom Brady could take over as Jets QB for him?  (Assume they only played for a combined 30 years)

- 8 Super Bowls

- 12 Super Bowls

- 15 Super Bowls

- 20 or more Super Bowls

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Pennington by a mile.

There were people on both sides very firmly entrenched in their belief -- with justification on both sides.

Most Jets fans knew Sanchez sucked, he was just associated with a great era of Jets football so we got a lot of "he's clutch" nonsense.

Darnold was mainly about belief based on hype -- and when he cratered most people left the bandwagon (although I will admit it's pretty surprising how many Jets fans are still attached to the guy.)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

lol

For jgb's next thread....  How many Super Bowls would the Jets have won if they just stayed put and took Dan Marino who eventually retired so that Tom Brady could take over as Jets QB for him?  (Assume they only played for a combined 30 years)

- 8 Super Bowls

- 12 Super Bowls

- 15 Super Bowls

- 20 or more Super Bowls

why-can-some-people-cure-a-cannabis-vomi

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Pennington by a mile.

There were people on both sides very firmly entrenched in their belief -- with justification on both sides.

Most Jets fans knew Sanchez sucked, he was just associated with a great era of Jets football so we got a lot of "he's clutch" nonsense.

Darnold was mainly about belief based on hype -- and when he cratered most people left the bandwagon (although I will admit it's pretty surprising how many Jets fans are still attached to the guy.)

And to think we have many more years ahead of dissecting every throw he ever makes in mop up duty on another team.

excited will smith GIF by 1LIVE

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

1. Pennington (by a lot)

2. Sanchez

3. Darnold

4. Fitz

5. Geno

This is the correct answer, in full.  Votes for Darnold are recency bias.

The supposed Sanchez "postseason greatness" fairytale did always have it's own hint of Penningtology to it, but yeah, the order of this list is the only part of any Jets QB talk that really goes beyond debate.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1