Put Your Name to the Watson/Darnold/Draft Qb Dilemna!

32EBoozer

Which of the following Qb scenarios are you in favor of.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Qb scenarios are you in favor of

• Roll with Sam (no 5th yr)and keep all our picks sign FA Qb to compete
    • Stay at #2 and select Fields or Wilson and keep picks
    • Try and trade out & get more picks (50/50 chance you get a team to move up)
    • Send #2; ‘22 #1 and ‘23 #1 for Watson and build around him

In this order:

1. Trade for Watson for basically whatever it takes.  Young franchise QB's are priceless in value.  Trade Darnold.
  2. Draft Fields at # 2.  Trade Darnold.
  3. Trade down, trade Darnold, sign a veteran QB (Winston, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, etc) to compete with James Morgan.

No option where Darnold is still here will make me happy.  Any end result where Darnold is the unquestioned starter of the 2021 Jets, and I'll be demanding Joe Douglas is fired.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I’m not interested in them getting Watson and spending a small fortune to keep him. The team has too many needs to handcuff themselves to an overpriced needed QB.

It’s too early to tell what we need to do as far as the draft but I want them to stick with Sam if Lawrence isn’t available at 2 and get the best WR, probably Chase. They should be able to trade down a few spots, get a few extra picks and still get Chase or Smith. Some experts have Waddle ahead of Smith but most don’t. They could also add Oline and a RB like Gainwell who is one of the best receivers in the draft at the RB position with the next few picks. 

Look how much better Allen got with Diggs on the team and a better oline. Diggs and the defense are the reason Buffalo won the last game. 

The Jets' biggest need is QB.  Watson is not overpriced.  

The Jets will get a WR better than Diggs in free agency with Watson here.  

They can also draft OL and a RB among their remaining picks. 

EDGE and CB will be harder to find without using first round pick(s), but for now, f**k defense.  You've been opposed to drafting an EDGE, and defense in general, for a while now but all of a sudden you're talking up the Bills defense?  Interesting.

Solid take, otherwise!

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's the 2nd best QB in the NFL under 30 years old. A top 5 QB in the league at age 25.

Players like this are never available.

The fact that we're in a position where we might be able to pull this off is a remarkable, once in a lifetime situation. Like, literally once in a lifetime.

If he's that good, then he's not leaving Houston. He's just agitating for greater influence within the organization.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In this order:

1. Trade for Watson for basically whatever it takes.  Young franchise QB's are priceless in value.  Trade Darnold.
  2. Draft Fields at # 2.  Trade Darnold.
  3. Trade down, trade Darnold, sign a veteran QB (Winston, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, etc) to compete with James Morgan.

No option where Darnold is still here will make me happy.  Any end result where Darnold is the unquestioned starter of the 2021 Jets, and I'll be demanding Joe Douglas is fired.

Winston will stay in NO. They'll work out a heavy incentive laden deal and easy on the cap

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets' biggest need is QB.  Watson is not overpriced.  

The Jets will get a WR better than Diggs in free agency with Watson here.  

They can also draft OL and a RB among their remaining picks. 

EDGE and CB will be harder to find without using first round pick(s), but for now, f**k defense.  You've been opposed to drafting an EDGE, and defense in general, for a while now but all of a sudden you're talking up the Bills defense?  Interesting.

Solid take, otherwise!

ARob is better than Diggs?? I'm not sure about that watching them. Diggs is a stud!

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Winston will stay in NO. They'll work out a heavy incentive laden deal and easy on the cap

So they're going to pay Taysom Hill $16.2M next season to be the QB3 (or backup to Winston if Brees retires)?  I don't see it.

And no, they can't cut Hill.  He'd incur an $11.2M dead cap hit.

The beautiful thing is that all the options are good 

draft a QB at 2 is a nice reset and we can build around a talented QB on a rookie contract 

trade for Watson and we have the best QB in franchise history. I’d give #2, next years Seattle pick, and Darnold. Which still leave us with plenty of draft capital to build

Keep Darnold and trade down, we are looking at 6 first round picks in 2 years to stack this team with young talent.

The only option that I hate is picking a non QB at #2

Douglas wants more draft capital, not less. That should be obvious to anybody who's been paying attention. No chance in hell he trades for Watson considering what he would have to give up. With the hiring of Saleh, we need more draft picks than before the hire. We don't have a true 4-3 DE. Who's are middle linebacker. Who's are strong side linebacker who has to be good in coverage in a 4-3????

My Preferences in order as of today:

1. Watson Trade -  2021 #2, 2022 Seattle #1, 2023 Jets #1.  Throw all the money at Robinson, draft a WR at #23 and RB before the 4th Round.  QB + Weapons + O-line Plan.

2. Trade down from #2 for more picks, Draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd (Lance, Trask, Jones, preferences differ) - Retain Darnold, Open 3-way competition.  No big FA Spends.

3. Draft a QB at #2 (Fields or Wilson).  Trade Darnold for best offer.  Sign crappy Veteran cock-holder for Rookie.  No Big FA Spends.

4. Do not draft a QB at all, start Darnold, use all picks to support Darnold/talent.  Throw all the money at Robinson and Thuney.

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Did you see him in Sunday's game?? A lot of drops. He is not better than Diggs statistically or on film.

OK fine, I'll concede that Diggs is better than Godwin/Robinson.  We wouldn't be giving up a 1st round pick to get Diggs like the Bills did so it's a different situation anyways.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So they're going to pay Taysom Hill $16.2M next season to be the QB3 (or backup to Winston if Brees retires)?  I don't see it.

And no, they can't cut Hill.  He'd incur an $11.2M dead cap hit.

Next year is the last year of the Hill contract. He is not a QB. They'll use him as a gadget guy like this season.

Current Contract

(RFA, signed 2020)
 (?: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $11,561,000 $8,000,000 $1,439,000   $8,000,000   $21,000,000    
2020 30 $841,000 $4,000,000 $0   $841,000   $4,841,000 2.4%      
2021 31 $10,720,000 $4,000,000 $1,439,000   $7,159,000   $16,159,000 9.0%  
$11,159,000
$5,000,000

18 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

The last thing the Jets need is to commit 30m+ a year to a vet QB like Watson.  Draft your own and use the low cap hit QB to build the team properly around him.

Which "draft our own" 2021 QB available to the Jets will produce 4,800 passing yards, 30+ TD, >10 INT's and a 70% completion percentage in 2021, 2022, 2023 and beyond?

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Next year is the last year of the Hill contract. He is not a QB. They'll use him as a gadget guy like this season.

Current Contract

(RFA, signed 2020)
 (?: indicates contract trigger occuring during that year)
Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Total   $11,561,000 $8,000,000 $1,439,000   $8,000,000   $21,000,000    
2020 30 $841,000 $4,000,000 $0   $841,000   $4,841,000 2.4%      
2021 31 $10,720,000 $4,000,000 $1,439,000   $7,159,000   $16,159,000 9.0%  
$11,159,000
$5,000,000

Right but he still costs $16.2M against the cap for this one season.  That kind of financial commitment makes it difficult to also bring back Winston when the team is scheduled to be over $90M over the cap.  

Why would Winston come back on an incentive-laden contract to compete with a massively overpaid Fullback for QB1/QB2 duties when he can just get more money elsewhere to have an equivalent QB1/QB2 role elsewhere?  I get that working with Sean Payton and Brees' potential retirement are legit reasons to return, but if they have no money to spend on him that makes no sense for him and his agent.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but he still costs $16.2M against the cap for this one season.  That kind of financial commitment makes it difficult to also bring back Winston when the team is scheduled to be over $90M over the cap.  

Why would Winston come back on an incentive-laden contract to compete with a massively overpaid Fullback for QB1/QB2 duties when he can just get more money elsewhere to have an equivalent QB1/QB2 role elsewhere?  

saints football GIF by New Orleans Saints

A coach who turned a shrimp into a HOF player. Familiarity and will be given a chance vs. another team with no connections.

26 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

saints football GIF by New Orleans Saints

A coach who turned a shrimp into a HOF player. Familiarity and will be given a chance vs. another team with no connections.

You make a compelling argument.  Though I have to wonder why he got so little interest last offseason despite a 5,000+ yard, 33 TD season (yes, albeit with all those INTs, it was impressive).  Even if Payton gets a lot out of him, perhaps even more than Arians did, what will his market be next offseason?

Either way, while Winston is my top choice for the bridge/veteran option QB's, he's not the ONLY one I'd support acquiring.  Any of the others I listed would do nicely.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Let’s sum up all our opinions spread out over 4 threads to see where Jet fans stand.

I go all in on Watson.

16 hours into this post:

*** Approximately 140 votes and Watson signing holding above 50% ***

#2 cannot be oart of the deal. It gas way too much value. Watson for #2 straight up? I would consider it

• Haha 2

I would be team acquire Deshaun Watson if it were realistic (3 1st round picks as outlined). I don't think it's happening.

Firstly, I don't think 3 1st round picks will be enough, and I'm not trading any more than 3. Would you prefer to have a franchise QB on a subpar franchise, or a solid QB on a stacked roster? Mortgaging 3 years worth of 1st and 2nd round picks gets you the QB, it may get you a few exciting seasons, but overall you're looking at a situation that would be equivalent to Stafford/Ryan's current trajectory: great QB, average roster. You can't just replace those picks with free agents unless you're OK with a financial reset every 4 years... I think we've all learned how painful that process can be. Second, I don't think Watson will be traded, and if he is traded, it will be to a team in the NFC. So that's that. 

In my opinion, the best option for the Jets is to let Sam play on the 1-year deal; reason why I wouldn't pick up the option is in-case of injury... sure you're potentially costing yourself an additional $5 million if they were to franchise tag him after the season, but that's the insurance fee so to speak to protect you from losing $25 million if things go sour. Thereafter, trade #2. Chances are they will get an enormous haul for that pick simply because teams are desperate and don't have another option. Are we sure Sam will succeed? No, but there are plenty of really smart people around the league who agree that no QB - not even Mahomes - would have done much better on the Jets these past 3 years. Also, it's not like Sam isn't talented... he's just as talented, if not more talented, than the QBs in this class and he's only 23 years old. Hang your hat on the fact that Sam was in an unprecedented situation and is an unprecedented case study. He's not comparable to past QBs... see how he does in a new offense that clearly fits his skill-set. If Sam plays lights out, franchise tag him. Make him prove he's the good in back-to-back seasons before giving him a long-term extension. If Sam is average or bad, let him walk. Enter the 2022 draft with what would be 3 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, and 2 3rd round picks and even more picks in 2023. Whether the Jets were to move ahead with Sam or if they were going to find his replacement, they'll still be in one of the best financial situations in 2022 so acquiring a veteran QB would be in the cards, and besides, they'd have the most draft capital in the NFL, making a jump for a QB possible. 

• 1st round pick 
  • 1st round pick (via #2 trade) 
  • 1st round pick (via SEA) 
  • 2nd round pick 
  • 3rd round pick 
  • 3rd round pick (via #2 trade) 
  • 5th round pick 
  • 5th round pick (via PIT) 
  • 6th round pick 
  • 6th round pick (via SF) 
  • 6th round pick (via TB) 
  • 7th round pick 

To me, this is a no-brainer. I say that not because I think this is what the Jets will do, but because it's so clear how much more this makes sense rather than taking a chance on a raw QB prospect in a year without a traditional season, without a combine, where you will have much less access than years past.

The only thing I think the Jets will do differently (which I wouldn't do) is look into extending Sam to a "3-year, $65 million extension" with $30 million guaranteed. They'll view this as a calculated risk that protects both sides and makes the option/franchise tag irrelevant. If Sam doesn't play to the level they want in 2021, the Jets can get out of the deal by cutting him, bring him back as a bridge QB for a season, or trade him. If he plays well, he's under team control for an additional 2 years, giving the Jets more time to evaluate before signing him to a long-term extension.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

I would be team acquire Deshaun Watson if it were realistic (3 1st round picks as outlined). I don't think it's happening.

I think that deal is a possibility.The Texans have their back against the wall. What other teams can offer more than us and still have draft capital moving forward?... Miami? They only have one #1 pick in 22 & 23 and they'll be in the #25 - 32 range with Deshaun. Would they give up both #1's this year and their '22 #1 as well?

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

In my opinion, the best option for the Jets is to let Sam play on the 1-year deal; reason why I wouldn't pick up the option is in-case of injury... sure you're potentially costing yourself an additional $5 million if they were to franchise tag him after the season, but that's the insurance fee so to speak to protect you from losing $25 million if things go sour. Thereafter, trade #2. Chances are they will get an enormous haul for that pick simply because teams are desperate and don't have another option. Are we sure Sam will succeed? No, but there are plenty of really smart people around the league who agree that no QB - not even Mahomes - would have done much better on the Jets these past 3 years. Also, it's not like Sam isn't talented... he's just as talented, if not more talented, than the QBs in this class and he's only 23 years old. Hang your hat on the fact that Sam was in an unprecedented situation and is an unprecedented case study. He's not comparable to past QBs... see how he does in a new offense that clearly fits his skill-set. If Sam plays lights out, franchise tag him. Make him prove he's the good in back-to-back seasons before giving him a long-term extension. If Sam is average or bad, let him walk. Enter the 2022 draft with what would be 3 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, and 2 3rd round picks and even more picks in 2023. Whether the Jets were to move ahead with Sam or if they were going to find his replacement, they'll still be in one of the best financial situations in 2022 so acquiring a veteran QB would be in the cards, and besides, they'd have the most draft capital in the NFL, making a jump for a QB possible. 

• 1st round pick 
  • 2nd round pick 
  • 3rd round pick 
  • 5th round pick 
  • 6th round pick 
  • 7th round pick 

A LOT has to happen for this type of haul.... especially if teams know you're not taking Sewell or a Qb. Why trade up to #2?

Edited by 32EBoozer

15 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

So you want to trade the 2nd pick, and Sam?! Who’s playing QB for us next year lol

Uh, they don't have to take a QB at #2 to replace Sam. Bring in a vet to compete with James Morgan and maybe a draftee.  Even after a trade down at #2, they could still take a QB early, even with one of the first round picks, or punt/rebuild for a year and use 2022 draft capital to grab a new "franchise" guy then. Plenty of options.

31 minutes ago, football guy said:

Firstly, I don't think 3 1st round picks will be enough, and I'm not trading any more than 3. Would you prefer to have a franchise QB on a subpar franchise, or a solid QB on a stacked roster? Mortgaging 3 years worth of 1st and 2nd round picks gets you the QB, it may get you a few exciting seasons, but overall you're looking at a situation that would be equivalent to Stafford/Ryan's current trajectory: great QB, average roster. You can't just replace those picks with free agents unless you're OK with a financial reset every 4 years... I think we've all learned how painful that process can be. Second, I don't think Watson will be traded, and if he is traded, it will be to a team in the NFC. So that's that. 

• 1st round pick 
  • 2nd round pick 
  • 3rd round pick 
  • 5th round pick 
  • 6th round pick 
  • 7th round pick 

To me, this is a no-brainer. I say that not because I think this is what the Jets will do, but because it's so clear how much more this makes sense rather than taking a chance on a raw QB prospect in a year without a traditional season, without a combine, where you will have much less access than years past.

The only thing I think the Jets will do differently (which I wouldn't do) is look into extending Sam to a "3-year, $65 million extension" with $30 million guaranteed. They'll view this as a calculated risk that protects both sides and makes the option/franchise tag irrelevant. If Sam doesn't play to the level they want in 2021, the Jets can get out of the deal by cutting him, bring him back as a bridge QB for a season, or trade him. If he plays well, he's under team control for an additional 2 years, giving the Jets more time to evaluate before signing him to a long-term extension.

I'm a Darnold Truther and I support this message.

unless Deshaun... 

I agree, no one would've succeeded here the last several years with the uninspired, unimaginative coaching, porous offensive line and bottom-of-the-league skill position talent. 

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

• 1st round pick 
  • 2nd round pick 
  • 3rd round pick 
  • 5th round pick 
  • 6th round pick 
  • 7th round pick 

You are in essence saying treat Darnold like Kirk Cousins.   Except without the production of Cousins to merit it (and I like Darnold).   I don't see why you would not align Salah and new coaching staff with a new rookie QB  at affordable rate for 4 years, with the potential to be more in the future than Sam has been or could be.  

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm a Darnold Truther and I support this message.

unless Deshaun... 

I agree, no one would've succeeded here the last several years with the uninspired, unimaginative coaching, porous offensive line and bottom-of-the-league skill position talent. 

35-year old, disinterested, one-foot-in-retirement Joe Flacco had a 6/3 TD:INT ratio in the exact same set of circumstances.  Explain that one, please.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

You are in essence saying treat Darnold like Kirk Cousins.   Except without the production of Cousins to merit it (and I like Darnold).   I don't see why you would not align Salah and new coaching staff with a new rookie QB  at affordable rate for 4 years, with the potential to be more in the future than Sam has been or could be.  

The argument then becomes "Just because rookie QB would be better than Sam, it still does not guarantee a level of play required to make a SB run" With Watson, I think you can make a strong argument that this is possible if we bring in some veteran FA on offense. Do we have to wait until year 4 of the rookies contract to answer this question?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

35-year old, disinterested, one-foot-in-retirement Joe Flacco had a 6/3 TD:INT ratio in the exact same set of circumstances.  Explain that one, please.

I've posted before on that, I'll summarize quickly:

• Flacco's stats are inflated by that Patriots game - he had one good game, and rest was pedestrian
  • That Patriot game was shady... back when we were the #1 overall pick team and it seemed like the Belichick was pulling a 'Blue Chips' and trying hard to throw that game

Granted, that second point is definitely a conspiracy theory. But even if that's just my Patriot Paranoia, what's indisputable is that game was the outlier for Flacco this season. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FlacJo00.htm

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Harder for Gase to reverse engineer a 35 yr old. He would have succeeded given another few weeks. 

he did after all kill Manning by year 3