Brandon Staley Press Conference

4 minutes ago, QB1 said:

He's a good politician. I like Staley but I don't think he can't connect with players like Saleh does. I get some snakey vibes from him. 

Not that they’re the be all end all of journalism, but the ESPN piece on him basically drilled the opposite point home. Very good at reading people and communicating to individuals in a way they respond to well. Players love him.

I’m very happy with Saleh but like a few others in here I think Staley was the best candidate this cycle on paper. Probably also got the best job, which makes sense.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, derp said:

Not that they’re the be all end all of journalism, but the ESPN piece on him basically drilled the opposite point home. Very good at reading people and communicating to individuals in a way they respond to well. Players love him.

I’m very happy with Saleh but like a few others in here I think Staley was the best candidate this cycle on paper. Probably also got the best job, which makes sense.

Not sure how you can say he is the best candidate on paper when saleh has 10 more years experience in the NFL and 4 years experience as a coordinator vs. 1 for Staley. Saleh coached up a turd D into a super bowl carrying defense in 2019 and last year a top 5 unit while being decimated with injuries. He also is intimately connected to the best offensive system in the NFL and is able to bring an elite staff to install said system. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

It's no Dan Campbell but IMO he came away very impressive. After listening to him, I'm shocked he wasn't one of the first ones hired. I would've def chosen him over Arthur Smith.

Seems like a really good coach but I couldn't help but think it sounds like modern parenting. No need for a kid to adopt to his surroundings. We are going to adopt the surrounding to the child.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

Not sure how you can say he is the best candidate on paper when saleh has 10 more years experience in the NFL and 4 years experience as a coordinator vs. 1 for Staley. Saleh coached up a turd D into a super bowl carrying defense in 2019 and last year a top 5 unit while being decimated with injuries. He also is intimately connected to the best offensive system in the NFL and is able to bring an elite staff to install said system. 

Staley has experience on both sides of the ball instead of utilizing others to install an offensive system and communicates with players in a variety of ways. He’s more well rounded in my opinion. Also like that he’s going to build systems around players rather than bringing schemes.

As far as your post, years as a coordinator hasn't shown a correlation to success as a head coach, the 49ers defense had an elite DL and pass rushers which often leads to success so not sure how they were a “turd” unit in 2019, and again he’s got to rely on other guys to install that offensive system whereas Staley’s going to offer more into the decision making on that side of the ball. 

They’re both great candidates. I’m happy the Jets have Saleh. He seems like he’ll be a good delegator and be able to help with certain players and on defense. Maybe it’s splitting hairs, but I like Staley more on paper as a guy who can theoretically delegate but also actively be involved on any side of the ball and with any kind of player’s communication style and again I like that he’s building systems around the players rather than bringing systems that they need to find fits for.

1 minute ago, derp said:

Staley has experience on both sides of the ball instead of utilizing others to install an offensive system and communicates with players in a variety of ways. He’s more well rounded in my opinion. Also like that he’s going to build systems around players rather than bringing schemes.

As far as your post, years as a coordinator hasn't shown a correlation to success as a head coach, the 49ers defense had an elite DL and pass rushers which often leads to success so not sure how they were a “turd” unit in 2019, and again he’s got to rely on other guys to install that offensive system whereas Staley’s going to offer more into the decision making on that side of the ball. 

They’re both great candidates. I’m happy the Jets have Saleh. He seems like he’ll be a good delegator and be able to help with certain players and on defense. Maybe it’s splitting hairs, but I like Staley more on paper as a guy who can theoretically delegate but also actively be involved on any side of the ball and with any kind of player’s communication style and again I like that he’s building systems around the players rather than bringing systems that they need to find fits for.

They were a turd when he took over and coached them up to the best defense in the NFL.

Staley has never coached offense in his life so I don't see how he can be more well rounded. Saleh did play TE in college. 

I don't think you understand what the phrase "on paper means". There is literally nothing in Staley's resume that would lead you to believe he is more qualified in the ways you mentioned. 

14 minutes ago, QB1 said:

They were a turd when he took over and coached them up to the best defense in the NFL.

Staley has never coached offense in his life so I don't see how he can be more well rounded. Saleh did play TE in college. 

I don't think you understand what the phrase "on paper means". There is literally nothing in Staley's resume that would lead you to believe he is more qualified in the ways you mentioned. 

You’re moving the goalposts on that defense.

Staley played quarterback in college.

Perhaps I just looked into the resume differently than you did. I don’t think we’re going to agree.

The dude had the best Dlineman in maybe the history of the NFL & Jalen Ramsey at CB! 

Oh, and when Donald hurt his stomach muscle and watched from the sidelines it was a different defense. Sure, he seems like a good coach, Rex had a helluva defense too when Revis was stoning every great WR in the league but Sean Ellis was no Aaron Darnold. 

Hey, Lafluer is doing wonderful in Green Bay too, but that Aaron Rogers guy? He's pretty, pretty, pretty damn good. 

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I've heard him referred to as the "Sean McVay of defense." Seems like a really bright, talented guy. Probably neck and neck with Saleh for the best hire of this cycle IMHO.

Based on injuries, and guys out for the season like Nick Bosa, and a bunch of others, Saleh was much more impressive to me. 

5 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

How’s that empty fluff lol. That would be exactly what I wanna hear. Not try to fit him into a specific system but mold the offense around him. 

It's the kind of stuff you would hear from a gypsy."I'm gonna put (insert any name here) into a system that fits him."  That doesn't mean the coach hasn't predetermined that said player will fit his system one way or the other. I'm sure Gase thought Sam would fit his system too.

I'm sure he was among the top candidates. From what I understand, the Jets felt he expressed some resistance to committing to the job if he were offered to it. 

From an agent's perspective: there was a real chance he would've needed an offer he couldn't refuse to take a job outside of the Chargers. He's very committed to his family, loved working with the Rams, and really didn't want to uproot his family for the second time within 12 months. The Chargers job was the top opening on his list, and luckily for him, the team recognized his desire to coach them and it paid off. 

Happy for him and rooting for him. Think he's going to be a great coach. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm sure he was among the top candidates. From what I understand, the Jets felt he expressed some resistance to committing to the job if he were offered to it. 

From an agent's perspective: there was a real chance he would've needed an offer he couldn't refuse to take a job outside of the Chargers. He's very committed to his family, loved working with the Rams, and really didn't want to uproot his family for the second time within 12 months. The Chargers job was the top opening on his list, and luckily for him, the team recognized his desire to coach them and it paid off. 

Happy for him and rooting for him. Think he's going to be a great coach. 

He was always going to the Chargers then. Which makes sense. 

It’s tough to gauge anything from a press conf but I actually like saleh so far.  Staley says he’s going to ‘feature’ his best players and out them in the best position.  Wow!!! Why didn’t Lynn think of that??? 

Saleh is coming with a system on both sides of the ball.   He’s going to make the most of what we have and replace the guys that don’t fit.   Rex had a fit on d and a slogan on O.  Saleh actually has a plan so now we’ll see if it works.