Offensive lineman we might be targeting

Rhg1084

On 4/9/2021 at 8:42 AM, Philc1 said:

Fant needs to be moved inside to Guard

Fant has zero skills that fit for guard.  His biggest weakness is being bullrushed by stronger players and you would essentially be exacerbating that weakness moving him inside.  He is an exceptional athlete and should thrive in this system.

• Upvote 2

On 4/5/2021 at 8:05 PM, football guy said:

With that said I agree: why trade up for an OL when its such a big position group? Only reason I can see it is if the Jets have a specific guy in mind, and I'm not sure who that guy is. 

Sounds like Kyle Pitts > OL > Pass Rush > WR > CB but this is all conjecture without a finalized board. The feeling of those in the FO is that they won't be able to get Pitts even if they trade up, but the next position group they will realistically look to attack in round 1 is OL. 

Here is what I dont understand about pitts fit here.

The outside zone system really thrives when the TE can actually block and Pitts cant.  Im not doubting his overall playmaking ability, but he isnt a blocker so how exactly would he fit next to someone like Herndon?

Personally I think OL is deep enough that JD can move back a few spots from 23 (think Ravens/Saints area), pick up an extra pick and still get one of Veira-Tucker, Wyatt Davis, Teven Jenkins.  If we are looking at a TE later on, I would love to see us grab Hunter Long in the 3rd round.  He isnt some athletic freak, but rather an excellent blocker who can also catch balls and has size at almost 6'5.  Seems like the kind of guy you can pair with Herndon and run 21 personnel and be able to both run block and stretch the field.

40 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Here is what I dont understand about pitts fit here.

The outside zone system really thrives when the TE can actually block and Pitts cant.  Im not doubting his overall playmaking ability, but he isnt a blocker so how exactly would he fit next to someone like Herndon?

Personally I think OL is deep enough that JD can move back a few spots from 23 (think Ravens/Saints area), pick up an extra pick and still get one of Veira-Tucker, Wyatt Davis, Teven Jenkins.  If we are looking at a TE later on, I would love to see us grab Hunter Long in the 3rd round.  He isnt some athletic freak, but rather an excellent blocker who can also catch balls and has size at almost 6'5.  Seems like the kind of guy you can pair with Herndon and run 21 personnel and be able to both run block and stretch the field.

This just isn't a very good take. Pitts strength is not blocking, but he's a very willing blocker who has shown tremendous improvement. The guy is 20 years old and is still filling out his frame. The stronger he gets the more effective he'll be. 

6 hours ago, football guy said:

I don't think either G/C are necessarily premium positions

They may not be "premium" positions but they are incredibly important.  Especially C.

I want our C for the next 10 years out of this draft.  And I'd like another Guard in round 3 or earlier too. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BCJet said:

Fant has zero skills that fit for guard.  His biggest weakness is being bullrushed by stronger players and you would essentially be exacerbating that weakness moving him inside.  He is an exceptional athlete and should thrive in this system.

They said the same exact thing about Robert Gallery and moving to Guard ended up salvaging his NFL career

On 2/19/2021 at 1:34 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Anybody have any strong opinions one way or the other on some of these guys we might target with pick 23 or 34? Assuming we don’t trade our picks I’m willing to bet good money one of these guys will be drafted by us 

OT

Christian Darrishaw VT

Jalen Mayfield Michigan 

Teven Jenkins Oklahoma State

Liam Echenberg Norte Dame 

Alex Leatherwood Alabama 

Dillon Radunz North Dakota St

IOL

Alijah Vera-Tucker USC

Wyatt Davis Ohio State 

Creed Humphrey Oklahoma 

Landon Dickerson Alabama 

Trey Smith Tennessee 

For this draft...I'm mostly IOL fixated for these early rounds.  And of course for outside zone blocking schemes.

AT #23...I would take Teven Jenkins.  He can play OG.  Stay there or possibly move over in year two to RT.

AVT for guard.

At #34... Creed Humphrey.  An athletic freak for his size.  He probably could play OG...definitely OC.

I'd really be intrigued if Landon Dickerson could play guard alongside a beast like Becton.  Certainly as an OC. 

Wyatt Davis pure OG and a good value pick here.

• Upvote 1

I’d also say I’m not touching Landon Dickerson. 

Injury history is too substantial, likelihood he retears his ACL is high - too damn high for a 1st or our early 2nd rounder for me. Great player but can’t take that risk with such a high pick 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

They may not be "premium" positions but they are incredibly important.  Especially C.

I want our C for the next 10 years out of this draft.  And I'd like another Guard in round 3 or earlier too. 

Oh I totally agree. Personally, I would be on board with spending a 1st/2nd round pick on an OL every single year. Once you have the QB, just give me endless pass rushers and pass protectors baby

• Upvote 2

I think offensive line in that 23/34 area is particularly important this year because - no matter what anyone feels about their favorite QB prospect - the bust rate on QB’s at the top of the draft is very high.

Conversely, the bust rate on first round centers is extraordinarily low and it’s lower than most positions on tackles and guards as well.

If you’re going to gamble at the very top of the draft I think you need some likely hits with other premium picks.

Doesn’t hurt that offensive line helps support the QB.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, derp said:

I think offensive line in that 23/34 area is particularly important this year because - no matter what anyone feels about their favorite QB prospect - the bust rate on QB’s at the top of the draft is very high.

Conversely, the bust rate on first round centers is extraordinarily low and it’s lower than most positions on tackles and guards as well.

If you’re going to gamble at the very top of the draft I think you need some likely hits with other premium picks.

Doesn’t hurt that offensive line helps support the QB.

This point isn't discussed nearly enough. 

Although "playing it safe" is not a fun strategy, it's a strategy that lends to sustainable draft success imo. 

My opinion is, build up the infrastructure of the team by taking "clean" prospects on day 1, with a premium placed on OT/OG/C/DE every year (assuming you have the QB). Then, fill in the gaps with guys who may be a little risky/play riskier positions on day 2. If they don't show out, you can always use future resources to fill that need (for instance, signing Carl Lawson because Jabari Zuniga didn't show enough). Day 3, is the best time to take the biggest risks (i.e. guys with checkered injury histories, unrefined players, questionable character, etc.). 

Every few years, take a shot on a missing piece. For example, if RB is the missing piece, but a little more daring/willing to select one in round 1 with full knowledge that the guy may only last 5 years, but could help you win a Superbowl in that 5 year window. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Fant was an absolute pleasant surprise last year and apparently a good locker room presence. 

Am I wrong for thinking he can be even better in this zone scheme? Does the team feel the same?

Not wrong at all. I think he’s going to surprise them again, and could even get extended

Per Tony Pauline:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-rumors-draft-news-jamarr-chases-potential-teams-moving-up-for-qbs-and-more/

Joe Douglas seems to favor a specific type of offensive linemen. Can you give some names you believe fit Joe Douglas’ preferred personality and scheme for the first three rounds of the draft?

Centers Creed Humphrey, Michal Menet, and Drew Dalman. Tackles Teven Jenkins and Dillon Radunz. Guards Wyatt Davis and Jack Anderson.

2 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Per Tony Pauline:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-rumors-draft-news-jamarr-chases-potential-teams-moving-up-for-qbs-and-more/

Joe Douglas seems to favor a specific type of offensive linemen. Can you give some names you believe fit Joe Douglas’ preferred personality and scheme for the first three rounds of the draft?

Centers Creed Humphrey, Michal Menet, and Drew Dalman. Tackles Teven Jenkins and Dillon Radunz. Guards Wyatt Davis and Jack Anderson.

Drew Dalman is an intriguing prospect in the late rounds.  Stanford center with all the intangibles Joe D. seems to value (eg captain).

• 2 weeks later...

I like Creed Humphrey a lot but they can absolutely get a starting center later - Meinerz might be there at 66 or 86 and Drew Dalman is probably going day three. Landing one of those three guys would be a home run IMO. Maybe it’s more prudent to go with one of the later two. But I hope they grab somebody.

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2021 at 10:49 PM, Be_a_Jet said:

If AVT is there at 23 I go him, if He’s gone then I go Newsome , if they’re both gone I go Jenkins, if they’re all gone I’m trading down. 

JD’s target @23 will be OL. JD’s first priority is to reset the OL with premium picks - see Becton. Being a ex OL guy, JD knows it needs to be revamped, especially withe a rookie QB. His 2 realistic targets : ATV and Jenkins. ATV choice 1 Jenkins 2.  If both are gone then the possibility is JD trades back or goes BPA like Edge Phillips,  Newsome CB or Collins LB. 

9 hours ago, derp said:

I like Creed Humphrey a lot but they can absolutely get a starting center later - Meinerz might be there at 66 or 86 and Drew Dalman is probably going day three. Landing one of those three guys would be a home run IMO. Maybe it’s more prudent to go with one of the later two. But I hope they grab somebody.

The Jets have had below average centres since Mangold retired (and he wasn't that great in his last season). With a new QB to break in, I would think that Douglas would want to put the best offensive line talent around him. If Humphrey gets by Pittsburgh in round 1, I absolutely could see Douglas taking him at pick 34, or even trading back into the first round to select him to get that fifth year option.

Top guys will be gone,  but Tucker, Jenkins , Creed  h , in that order will be pick Jets make.   And at 34 best avl  Edge, Db , Guard.    My fav would be Jenkins and Creed  at 23 and 34.   But think Joe goes Creed H  and Wyatt Davis. Line Set! 

On 3/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, maury77 said:

Elijah Vera Tucker - A lot of projecting with him because he's going to play inside in the NFL and his 2020 tape is at tackle. In the Utah game he was struggling with his hand placement and reaction off the snap in the 1st quarter, but started to improve. Hands appeared generally sound after that. Really good anchor that will serve him well on the inside. He's not the athlete that Slater is on tape and he has a tendency to overextend and reach on the 2nd level. He's good, but I don't see anything "elite" on film. 

This is what the jets traded 2 3rd round picks for. 

• Upvote 1