The Sharps Know Watson Will Be a Jet

T0mShane

13 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

@Jetsfan80 and @Dcat  you guys are responding to a follow-up in which I quoted @FidelioJet and agreed that I disagree with the throw away of all of the draft picks, and pretty much half of our salary cap, when basically all we have to boast is that we have one good offensive lineman and one good defensive lineman.

What's most intriguing about the bolded is that 1- it's sadly very true - and 2 -  those were our last 2 #1 picks....

While three first round picks are dismissed as no big deal.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

This isn't true at all. Watson will count $10.5 million on the cap this year. He will attract some nice free agents and we'll have plenty of money to sign them. If we get a center/guard in FA or the draft, sign a WR, CB and Edge, and draft depth in rounds 2, 3 (two picks) and whatever pick we get for Sam, that's more than enough to be a solid team. Bring back Mosely, Hall and a few other rookies will have playing time under their belts and boom - it's a good team. Mims, Crowder, Robinson/Samuel/Godwin, Herndon will be enough to win with. I would add another WR in the draft or FA.

These are two of the most overstated and inacurate statements on this board.

1st - the total value of the contract is what matters - not what happens in any given year. Any free agency signing has to take into account future years as well as the upcoming season.

2nd - This idea that free agents will be flocking to play with the 4 win Watson - is absurd.  Guys play for the teams that pay them the most money.  That's the way it works.  This isn't the NBA - there are no max contracts.

54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, but eventually you need a QB.  I mean the Generational guys only come around..well...once in a generation.  We can't exactly wait for them.

You have to take a QB when you have a chance to take one.  

No you don't if you are not sure about them.

Yes eventually you need a really good QB for sustained success (though you don't need one for success to win it all).

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

1st - the total value of the contract is what matters - not what happens in any given year. Any free agency signing has to take into account future years as well as the upcoming season.

2nd - This idea that free agents will be flocking to play with the 4 win Watson - is absurd.  Guys play for the teams that pay them the most money.  That's the way it works.  This isn't the NBA - there are no max contracts.

it’s a 3 year deal. Aav of 27.5m w 2 team options for 32m. The contract will never be the problem.

“4 win Watson” say it with me. “Highest all time completion % 2nd highest all time an rating. One of the most accomplished 25 year old qbs ever.”

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Exactly, I agree this is why giving up MASSIVE draft capital to get a QB when your team stinks is a huge risk.  Monumental risk and an all eggs in one basket kind of thing.

Watson if we trade the farm for him isn’t winning s here

Our roster stinks

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You keep drafting them until you find one.  That's how you do it.  

Yes, been such a good strategy for the Jets for the last 50 years.  It's worked fantastic! We should just keep doing it, over and over and over again, because hey man!  That how you do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just look at the Jets.  It's QB finding 101 over here.  It's like they grown on trees!!!!!!!

**** sake

• Haha 1

The stupidity of this board has me starting to lean toward wanting Watson to go to Miami, the Jets draft Wilson, the Pats draft Fields and the Jets continue to be the laughing stock of the NFL for the next 15 years while those 3 teams have 3 of the best QB's in Football and battle it out for the division while the Jets turn over GM, coaching staff and the revolving door continues. 

In fact, this is what I want now so I can just point and laugh at this board for the next 20 years.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

The stupidity of this board has me starting to lean toward wanting Watson to go to Miami, the Jets draft Wilson, the Pats draft Fields and the Jets continue to be the laughing stock of the NFL for the next 15 years while those 3 teams have 3 of the best QB's in Football and battle it out for the division while the Jets turn over GM, coaching staff and the revolving door continues. 

In fact, this is what I want now so I can just point and laugh at this board for the next 20 years.

Yes, but at least we’ll have been in position to draft the fourth best DE at 23 while saving up enough money to sign all the free agents next year

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, been such a good strategy for the Jets for the last 50 years.  It's worked fantastic! We should just keep doing it, over and over and over again, because hey man!  That how you do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just look at the Jets.  It's QB finding 101 over here.  It's like they grown on trees!!!!!!!

**** sake

I never claimed the Jets were good at either picking the right guy or developing him properly.  

In fact, the Jets have more or less treated offense as an after thought the past 20 years. 
You need to take a 1st round QB and then support with offensive resources.  

Not draft him and take a DT the next season in the first round and spend $80mm on an Ilb that offseason.  

Take the QB at 2 and use ALL premium resources (high picks and big FA contracts) over the next two years on offense and I’m quite confident you’ll see a different result  

Bottom line, just because the Jets failed, doesn’t mean it’s a bad strategy.   

56 minutes ago, JiF said:

Maybe this board thinks you’re stupid.  

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, but at least we’ll have been in position to draft the fourth best DE at 23 while saving up enough money to sign all the free agents next year

This is where we’ll agree. 
if you’re going to take any defensive player at 23 or 34. Or even spend big on defense in FA - then we shouldn’t be taking a QB at 2. Just setting him up to fail. 
Might as well give those picks away to get Kirk Watson for 3 years.  We won’t win but it’ll at least be fun to watch. 

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You keep drafting them until you find one.  That's how you do it.  

It hasn’t worked for us!!! Do you need an actual list? How long is it going to take for some of you to realize that this strategy does NOT apply to us. We’ve tried drafting QBs and we failed. 

The objective is to land a franchise QB. Whether that is through the draft or free agency does not matter! 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You almost wonder if people are being serious or not on this board. They say sh*t and I’m like there’s no way this person is serious. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is where we’ll agree. 
if you’re going to take any defensive player at 23 or 34. Or even spend big on defense in FA - then we shouldn’t be taking a QB at 2. Just setting him up to fail. 
Might as well give those picks away to get Kirk Watson for 3 years.  We won’t win but it’ll at least be fun to watch. 

Don’t you believe that Douglas is terrible anyway and that his 2020 draft was Idzik-like? But now you feel like the best path for the Jets is to ensure he has more picks? It seems like you’re setting up for the inevitable “well, Zack Wilson failed because Joe a Douglas didn’t get him enough weapons” excuse. And you’ll be doing that while “Kirk Watson” is in Miami no doubt weighing that franchise down with his onerous contract and exorbitant cost in trade,

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Don’t you believe that Douglas is terrible anyway and that his 2020 draft was Idzik-like? But now you feel like the best path for the Jets is to ensure he has more picks? It seems like you’re setting up for the inevitable “well, Zack Wilson failed because Joe a Douglas didn’t get him enough weapons” excuse. And you’ll be doing that while “Kirk Watson” is in Miami no doubt weighing that franchise down with his onerous contract and exorbitant cost in trade,

I don’t believe Douglas is terrible, I think he’s still very much an unknown.   Yes, if Douglas drafts Wilson and then goes on put serious premium resources into defense - then yes - he will be a terrible GM. And I have no doubt he will be fired in three years. 

Miami’s roster is in much better position to bring on Watson and succeed. They can afford to trade away 4 first round picks and maintain competitiveness.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I never claimed the Jets were good at either picking the right guy or developing him properly.  

In fact, the Jets have more or less treated offense as an after thought the past 20 years. 
You need to take a 1st round QB and then support with offensive resources.  

Not draft him and take a DT the next season in the first round and spend $80mm on an Ilb that offseason.  

Take the QB at 2 and use ALL premium resources (high picks and big FA contracts) over the next two years on offense and I’m quite confident you’ll see a different result  

Bottom line, just because the Jets failed, doesn’t mean it’s a bad strategy.   

1st round picks, fail 64% of the time. By the numbers, maybe it actually is, a bad strategy.  Especially if you're one of those teams that has a 100% fail rate at drafting the position.  Who in the building has any success drafting or developing a QB?  Saleh was on a team that went to the Super Bowl with a QB who they....wait for it....traded picks to acquire!!!!  He's a first time HC, with a first time OC.

Rarely is a top 3 QB who is 25 years old available via trade. When they are and you're a sh*tty pathetic joke of a franchise who will never find a Qb in the draft, you go get the sure thing and sit back and enjoy the next 20 years.  This idea you cant trade for Watson and still build around him has been proven just to be just flat out wrong.  Go do the right thing for once in this history of the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

1st round picks, fail 64% of the time. By the numbers, maybe it actually is, a bad strategy.  Especially if you're one of those teams that has a 100% fail rate at drafting the position.  Who in the building has any success drafting or developing a QB?  Saleh was on a team that went to the Super Bowl with a QB who they....wait for it....traded picks to acquire!!!!  He's a first time HC, with a first time OC.

Rarely is a top 3 QB who is 25 years old available via trade. When they are and you're a sh*tty pathetic joke of a franchise who will never find a Qb in the draft, you go get the sure thing and sit back and enjoy the next 20 years.  This idea you cant trade for Watson and still build around him has been proven just to be just flat out wrong.  Go do the right thing for once in this history of the team.

The Jets stink.

1st round picks are busts so no big deal.

Trade them all for Watson

Build around him with lower picks.......wtf?

Getting watson as we are, is fine if we simply want to switch places.

And FA is even less of a fix than the draft.

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets stink.

1st round picks are busts so no big deal.

Trade them all for Watson

Build around him with lower picks.......wtf?

Getting watson as we are, is fine if we simply want to switch places.

And FA is even less of a fix than the draft.

The Jets stink and the #1 reason is because they're completely ******* inept when it comes to drafting a Qb.

1st round picks bust often, rarely is a top 3 QB available and extremely rarely when it does happen, are the Jets of all ******* teams, in a position to make the best offer.  

This idea that you cant build a winner because you have to trade a few picks, is legit, ******* stupid.  Sorry but it just is and it's been completely proven wrong numerous times.  The Jets have 10 picks in the top 100 of the next 2 seasons.  They have 9 picks this season, 8 next season.  They dont need to just rely on FA.  Besides, it's not about next season, it's about the next 15 years.  Are you going to cry if you have to wait till 2024 before being truly competitive?  No.  You're not.  Because if you're advocating for drafting a QB, that's the time frame.  Only difference is, Watson gets you there sooner.

And dont give me that stupid ******* 4 win bull sh*t when he kid was 26-13 w/ 2 division titles and a playoff win coming into this sh*t show of the season that had their HC fired in week 4.

❤️

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, JiF said:

The Jets stink and the #1 reason is because they're completely ******* inept when it comes to drafting a Qb.

1st round picks bust often, rarely is a top 3 QB available and extremely rarely when it does happen, are the Jets of all ******* teams, in a position to make the best offer.  

This idea that you cant build a winner because you have to trade a few picks, is legit, ******* stupid.  Sorry but it just is and it's been completely proven wrong numerous times.  The Jets have 10 picks in the top 100 of the next 2 seasons.  They have 9 picks this season, 8 next season.  They dont need to just rely on FA.  Besides, it's not about next season, it's about the next 15 years.  Are you going to cry if you have to wait till 2024 before being truly competitive?  No.  You're not.  Because if you're advocating for drafting a QB, that's the time frame.  Only difference is, Watson gets you there sooner.

And dont give me that stupid ******* 4 win bull sh*t when he kid was 26-13 w/ 2 division titles and a playoff win coming into this sh*t show of the season that had their HC fired in week 4.

❤️

3 1sts and a 3rd for Watson.

• Upvote 1

Maybe. There is some logic to making a deal for Watson that includes some high draft picks.  The first being the first rounders have about a 50-50 chance of being good players.  The second being that maybe the current oline players are good enough so depth can be gotten in later rounds.  Third, whatever skill players they will need to pair with Watson can be found as free agents.
OR ...

I'm just spitballing here ...

He knows the comical history this organization has and is betting on continuity.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t believe Douglas is terrible, I think he’s still very much an unknown.   Yes, if Douglas drafts Wilson and then goes on put serious premium resources into defense - then yes - he will be a terrible GM. And I have no doubt he will be fired in three years. 

Miami’s roster is in much better position to bring on Watson and succeed. They can afford to trade away 4 first round picks and maintain competitiveness.

No they can’t.  Miami’s roster overachieved last year with Fitz pulling flukey wins out against bad teams.  We saw him do the same here in 2015. They will not win 10 games next season especially if they trade the farm for Watson

On 2/26/2021 at 8:08 AM, FidelioJet said:

I'm a working man and have neither the time or inclination to list both of their rosters, but go ahead and look them up - it's painfully obvious.

That's what's wrong with this country! Laziness (so says me who refuses to look up anything even if I have a lump the size of a bowling ball growing out of muh face)!

Anyway, I said it in the other Deshaun Watson thread: I've already passed critical mass with the speculation. I've lost interest. If he becomes a Jet, I'm already so bored with it I won't even bother to waste the energy to lift my foot off the floor to kick him in his ass the second it starts to go bad. If I'm so bored, why did I bother to say anything? Well, it's like this . . . 

anigif_enhanced-14545-1415492205-3.gif

If he doesn't become a Jet, at least I get to shriek and rub my hands together with delight at the fireball that will explode in Jetland. It'll give me something to do the rest of the off-season. I've come to the conclusion that being a Jets fan is almost more of a spectator sport for fan reaction(s) than any actual action by the team on the field.

tumblr_olyuxhnxUH1vodo80o1_500.gif

GO JETS!

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:31 PM, FidelioJet said:

Even if you look at total value of Watson's contract it's a favorable deal.

$10.5

$35

$37

$32

$32

When you consider Dak, Lamar and Allen are all going to get contracts in the $35-$40m range this off-season it's even better.

Free Agents do want to play for the Jets, or at least it appears that way thanks to the Saleh hiring. Adding a legit top 5 QB will certainly not hurt that, rolling with QB 32 or a rookie probably won't have the same effect. I mean heck we've already seen Robinson get excited about Watson to the Jets, just having people talking positively about a 2 win team is completely flipping the script on us.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, jetophile said:

anigif_enhanced-14545-1415492205-3.gif

If he doesn't become a Jet, at least I get to shriek and rub my hands together with delight at the fireball that will explode in Jetland. It'll give me something to do the rest of the off-season. I've come to the conclusion that being a Jets fan is almost more of a spectator sport for fan reaction(s) than any actual action by the team on the field.

tumblr_olyuxhnxUH1vodo80o1_500.gif

GO JETS!

The beautiful thing is if this DOES NOT happen then we either 1) Draft a QB at #2 and have a ton of draft picks or 2) trade down from #2 and have even more draft picks.

This is literally the best situation the Jets have ever been from a leverage standpoint at the QB position. The only way I feel bad, if Watson doesn't get traded here, is if Douglas does not pull the trigger on a somewhat reasonable deal and allows him to go to Miami.

15 hours ago, JiF said:

❤️

Totally agree.   Don’t trade for Watson because the Jets won’t be good in 2021 anyway, but let’s give Sam another year or wait another year to draft a rookie?  How exactly does that speed up the process?  I love draft picks as much as anyone, but people are acting like the Jets won’t have any draft picks or cap space for the next 3 years.  It’s lunacy around here, I’ve heard some of the most illogical and non-sensical takes around here lately.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Even if you look at total value of Watson's contract it's a favorable deal.

$10.5

$35

$37

$32

$32

When you consider Dak, Lamar and Allen are all going to get contracts in the $35-$40m range this off-season it's even better.

Free Agents do want to play for the Jets, or at least it appears that way thanks to the Saleh hiring. Adding a legit top 5 QB will certainly not hurt that, rolling with QB 32 or a rookie probably won't have the same effect. I mean heck we've already seen Robinson get excited about Watson to the Jets, just having people talking positively about a 2 win team is completely flipping the script on us.

Agreed, people act like you can’t restructure that deal either.   You can convert some salary to bonus in 2023 and create a little more space.  Plus, when the new TV deal revenue kicks in the 2022 cap will most likely be up to around $210-215M.  $32M for Watson in 2023 will seem like a bargain. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1