The Washington Football Team is turning in their cheerleading squad for a coed dance team

The Washington Football Team is turning in their cheerleading squad for a coed dance team

By Lauren M. Johnson, CNN

Updated 2:15 PM ET, Wed March 3, 2021 

Washington Football Team cheerleading squad will be replaced with a coed dance team. 

(CNN)Starting next season, Washington Football Team (WFT) fans will no longer see a traditional NFL cheerleading squad on the field, instead, they will be entertained by a coed dance group. 

The franchise is removing its cheerleaders from the field after 50 years as part of its rebranding effort, which include dropping Redskins, and a re-imagined approach to fan engagement and game day experience, according to a news release.

The team has hired, Petra Pope, who has a background in NBA entertainment, to be the new senior adviser for the team's game day experience. Pope told ESPN that the WFT wants to create a "more modern franchise" focused on diversity and inclusion. 

"The NBA has long embraced innovative dance and halftime shows, but most NFL teams have remained more oriented towards traditional cheerleading programs," Pope said in a statement. 

Content by Thrive Market

Healthy living that’s easy and affordable

Thrive Market, an online membership-based market on a mission to make healthy living easy and affordable for everyone.

"Fans can expect an experience like none other -- a gender-neutral and diverse squad of athletes and dancers whose choreography, costumes, props, tricks and stunts will rival the best entertainment across genres and really inspire and 'wow' our fans."

The team's president, Jason Wright, who was named the first Black president in the NFL last year, said in a statement that the team's aim is to create entertainment similar to what fans find at an NBA game. 

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Joewilly12 starting a thread about male cheerleaders was the singularly most predictable things in the history of the internet. 

Actually I posted this in case you were looking for a job but didn't want to call you out in the thread title. (against the rules) 

Its'  a coed dance team

@T0mShane

• WTF? 1

My CFL was one of the 1st teams to do this years ago and of course it as a shock for many fans and lots of grumbling and jokes at first as other CFL teams were sticking to the babes just dancing around.

But in short order it was much better,  the cheer team was really good and had a lot of talent, still some good looking gals but they did some very impressive routines.

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Every time when joewilly infers homosexuality is bad or an insult or something to laugh at, then cries victim when it gets turn around in him.

I love dudes/duddettes". You can read between the lines.

29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Every time when joewilly infers homosexuality is bad or an insult or something to laugh at, then cries victim when it gets turn around in him.

Who's crying?  I posted something NFL related and you guys/gals jumped all over it in a bad way. 

Thats how you see a coed dance team. 

5 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I love dudes/duddettes". You can read between the lines.

You love both men and women, thats fine. 

Live life doing whatever makes you happy. 

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Who's crying?  I posted something NFL related and you guys/gals jumped all over it in a bad way. 

I missed you honey.

49 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Do you realize the only reason they let you do this is pity?

• Haha 1

Just now, JTJet said:

Nothing like supporting women's rights to an equal and safe workplace like removing half of them and replacing them with men. 

You can't make this stuff up. 

Washington Football Team has my vote to be the team with the first female NFL football player. 

9 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Nothing like supporting women's rights to an equal and safe workplace like removing half of them and replacing them with men. 

You can't make this stuff up. 

This would be a post. If the article didn’t clearly say Their goal was diversity and inclusion.