***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

To compare the talent that Parcells inherited in that 1997 squad, to what Douglas inherited in 2019 is comical.

I asked you to name quality NFL players, foundational players that Douglas inherited. Of course, you ignored it. Does not fit your agenda to be reasonable.

I actually had things to do tonight. I just got home.

SAR I

I'll post it again...

2019 - JD 25% responsible (7-9)

- Excuse "He needs a real offseason"

2020 - JD 50% responsible (2-14)

- Excuse "He needs his own coach"

2021 - JD 100% responsible (1-4)

- Excuse "He needs another offseason" 

Litterally everything this man has done so far has been going backwards, across the board. You know what they say about the definition of insanity and all that jazz...

He signed his contract on June 7th 2019, since that time the Jets are 10-27 with not a single sign of getting another win this year. By season's end, JD could quite possibly be 10-39, maybe...MAYBE 13-36. 

People will STILL defend that. Amazingly. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I actually had things to do tonight. I just got home.

SAR I

The nice thing about these message board is that the messages don't dissolve. The question will remain for you answer.

I will pose it again: "Please outline all of the foundational talent That Joe Douglas inherited as he took over.

I gave you 1: Q Williams,

You take it from there. I bet you won't.

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The nice thing about these message board is that the messages don't dissolve. The question will remain for you answer.

I will pose it again: "Please outline all of the foundational talent That Joe Douglas inherited as he took over.

I gave you 1: Q Williams,

You take it from there. I bet you won't.

I’m not sure what it is you want me to do. My point is that the 2019 Jets were well coached and had heart and figured out a way to work together through great obstacles and miraculously win 7 games.

Since Douglas messed with that squad, we have won 3 games in 21 tries. His drafts suck, his free agents suck, and his coaching staff is not motivating the spirits or level of play of his players.  

A team is a collection of 53 men. They play as one.  The 2019 was better because they won 7 games.  The 2020 team was worse because they won 2 games.  The 2021 team is tracking to win 1 game.   That’s all that needs to be said. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

I’m not sure what it is you want me to do. My point is that the 2019 Jets were well coached and had heart and figured out a way to work together through great obstacles and miraculously win 7 games.

Since Douglas messed with that squad, we have won 3 games in 21 tries. His drafts suck, his free agents suck, and his coaching staff is not motivating the spirits or level of play of his players.  

A team is a collection of 53 men. They play as one.  The 2019 was better because they won 7 games.  The 2020 team was worse because they won 2 games.  The 2021 team is tracking to win 1 game.   That’s all that needs to be said. 

SAR I

Bottom line Joe Douglas hasn't proved he's great at building a good football team. His Jets have become the worst team in the NFL. It's simple as that. We blow with Joe. 

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Name a GM in the last 5 years that started with a cupboard ( active roster) as bare as the one JD inherited.

Name all the game changers Joe Douglas has brought in while he's been the Jets GM for the last 2 years and 4 months. Joe Douglas had a 10 month jump on the 2020 draft, and the 2019 college season was not affected by covid-19, so please spare me the covid excuse for his first draft. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Name all the game changers Joe Douglas has brought in while he's been the Jets GM for the last 2 years and 4 months. Joe Douglas had a 10 month jump on the 2020 draft, and the 2019 college season was not affected by covid-19, so please spare me the covid excuse for his first draft. 

So, I guess we are in agreement that Douglas inherited, arguably, one of the worst rosters in recent history. You punting and deflecting the direct question proves that point.

Will JD be a great GM? I have no idea. But he was given nothing, other than some cap space and a tradable commodity (Adams) that he did a brilliant job in getting value.

The truth will be in how he drafts, and supplements that talent that he brings in other manners. That is a mixed record.

But what you are ignoring is the starting point. And he inherited a train wreck. 

EDIT-And your assertion that the 2020 draft was NOT affected by COVID is incorrect as well. There was no combine leading up to the draft. There were no in person meetings. There were no pro days. All teh GMs were handicapped in the same manner. But your assertion is incorrect.

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Bottom line Joe Douglas hasn't proved he's great at building a good football team. His Jets have become the worst team in the NFL. It's simple as that. We blow with Joe. 

Exactly right.  It's his team 100%.  Everyone that is occupying a roster spot is here because Joe Douglas drafted him, signed him, or decided to retain him.

And we are the worst team in professional sports.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Name a GM in the last 5 years that started with a cupboard ( active roster) as bare as the one JD inherited.

Name a GM in the last 50 years that was hired immediately after the NFL draft giving him the luxury of 10 full months to study the team, study the market, and study the college ranks.  Every other GM in NFL history was hired in February and got 2 months to prepare for their first draft and FA period.  Joe Douglas got 10.  And he blew it completely.

Joe Douglas inherited a 7 win team and drove it into the ground.  We are the worst team in professional sports because Joe Douglas needlessly gutted the roster and the coaching staff and replaced it with absolute garbage.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Hence why JD demanded a 6 year deal. He recognized fixing the Jets was going to be a project. At least he understood the situation coming in. That's a good sign.

• Upvote 4

So, I guess we are in agreement that Douglas inherited, arguably, one of the worst rosters in recent history. You punting and deflecting the direct question proves that point.

Maccagnan's 2019 team won 7 games!  With backups!

Douglas' 2020 team won 2 games!  With starters!

Douglas' 2021 team will be lucky to win 2 games!  With his hand-crafted-30 months-in roster!

Maccagnan blew up the roster of the 2019 team on purpose.  Douglas blew up the roster of the 2020 and 2021 teams by the greatest negligence in team history.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Name a GM in the last 50 years that was hired immediately after the NFL draft giving him the luxury of 10 full months to study the team, study the market, and study the college ranks.  Most GM's get 2 months to prepare for their first draft and FA period.  Joe Douglas got 10.  And he blew it completely.

Joe Douglas inherited a 7 win team and drove it into the ground.  We are the worst team in professional sports because Joe Douglas needlessly gutted the roster and the coaching staff and replaced it with absolute garbage.

SAR I

Don't worry JD will start to catch media flak next year if a couple of his draft picks don't look like plus players

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Hence why JD demanded a 6 year deal. He recognized fixing the Jets was going to be a project. At least he understood the situation coming in. That's a good sign.

JD didn't want to come here!  He was only tempted and finally convinced to take the job because the money was irresistible.

That's the sort of thing our dedicated owners do to try to make things better.  Their hearts were in the right place but, as usual, they picked the wrong guy.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

JD didn't want to come here!  He was only tempted and finally convinced to take the job because the money was irresistible.

That's the sort of thing our dedicated owners do to try to make things better.  Their hearts were in the right place but, as usual, they picked the wrong guy.

SAR I

God you are nauseating.

• Upvote 2

This is correct, but only half the story.

It wasn't just a bare cupboard - it was a filthy, spoiled food cupboard, that actually required a two year cleansing before you can fully restock it.

Look, I'm not a JD fan, because what I've seen from his restocking efforts has been poor.

But I liked his plan - and believe what he did what he had to do to get this team back on track - gotta clear out the stench and start completely over.  It was ALWAYS going to be painful.

My concern is he's missed on a an awful lot of the draft picks and his plan was clearly to build with youth through the draft.  

Very good plan...

Phase 1 execution: Cleaning house - very good, patient, got good value on some trades

Phase 2 execution: Rebuild - early results are not good.  Now it's very early but his first draft seemed to have missed a lot...Finding a late round CB and undrafted FA DE seems to be his best moves.   Second draft, far too early to judge.   Saying his FA signings have been bad - would be being nice.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Don't worry JD will start to catch media flak next year if a couple of his draft picks don't look like plus players

If we're sitting at 1-12 come Christmas, believe me, the media flak will be flying right at Joe Douglas.  There isn't anything else to write about.  That's how sorry the state of New York sports is right now.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

JD hasn't been an immediate smash hit (i.e. he didn't draft a Justin Herbert + Justin Jefferson) but it's too early to say he is the wrong guy. I'm also happy to see that the Johnsons didn't back away from a bidding war. Eagles tried to keep JD but Johnsons wouldn't be denied. I don't care about the Johnson's bank account.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If we're sitting at 1-12 come Christmas, believe me, the media flak will be flying right at Joe Douglas.  There isn't anything else to write about.  That's how sorry the state of New York sports is right now.

SAR I

Jets are a bad team and will probably be between 1-12 or 3-10 by then. You can already find articles critical of JD. I am talking more about a crescendo/critical mass of criticism.

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Name a GM in the last 50 years that was hired immediately after the NFL draft giving him the luxury of 10 full months to study the team, study the market, and study the college ranks.  Every other GM in NFL history was hired in February and got 2 months to prepare for their first draft and FA period.  Joe Douglas got 10.  And he blew it completely.

SAR I

You type just to type. Little substance other than dribble

I asked you direct questions pertaining to the personnel JD inherited, and you just choose to ignore that important topic.

The roster had to be cleansed, and started over.  That does not happen in 2 drafts. Particularly, since the last draft has had 5 games. 

EDIT, oh and 3 GMS have been fired after a draft since 2015

Of the 10 general managers fired since Maccagnan took over in 2015, only three were let go between April and July – Doug Whaley (Bills), John Dorsey (Chiefs) and Dave Gettleman (Panthers). The Bills fired Whaley a day after the 2017 draft, while Dorsey and Gettleman were let go later in the summer of that year.

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You type just to type. Little substance other than dribble

I asked you direct questions pertaining to the personnel JD inherited, and you just choose to ignore that important topic.

I'm not here to do work for you.  If you would like to go through the 2019 roster and decide who was good or not back then, have at it, we're not going to agree anyway.  What we know is that a roster of 53 men selected by Mike Maccagnan won 7 games and since then the roster of 53 men selected by Joe Douglas are headed straight to a combined record of 3-30.

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The roster had to be cleansed, and started over.  That does not happen in 2 drafts. Particularly, since the last draft has had 5 games. 

The 2-14 San Francisco 49ers went from last place to the Super Bowl in a shorter amount of time than Joe Douglas has been on the job in New York.  If he were as good as John Lynch, this would be a Super Bowl season for the Jets.  There are plenty of other examples where GM's come in, clean house, get premium draft picks, and suddenly see all the youngsters playing well and winning games.  Our youngsters play badly and lose games.  

The Jets announced a rebuild in 2016, Sucked For Sam, and I was onboard.  This is now Year 5 of the rebuild and we are going backwards.  And I am no longer onboard,

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm not here to do work for you.  If you would like to go through the 2019 roster and decide who was good or not back then, have at it, we're not going to agree anyway.  What we know is that a roster of 53 men selected by Mike Maccagnan won 7 games and since then the roster of 53 men selected by Joe Douglas are headed straight to a combined record of 3-30.

The 2-14 San Francisco 49ers went from last place to the Super Bowl in a shorter amount of time than Joe Douglas has been on the job in New York.  If he were as good as John Lynch, this would be a Super Bowl season for the Jets.  There are plenty of other examples where GM's come in, clean house, get premium draft picks, and suddenly see all the youngsters playing well and winning games.  Our youngsters play badly and lose games.  

SAR I

Before you go around using Jon Lynch as an example of a great GM, in his tenure, they have gone:

2017 6-10

2018 4-12

2019 13-3

2020 6-10

2021 2-3

So we are in year 5 for Lynch and he has 1 winning season.  

I definitely agree that JD needs the Jets to start winning games. The whole "Rebuild" thing is cute for a couple of years, but at some point we need to see tangible progress in the form of wins. But it has been just 2 drafts (5 games into his 2nd draft) so it's still way to early to be calling for him to get fired. 

It would be like firing Lynch after that 4-12 season in 2018. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I am not even sure the Jets are the worst team in the NFL - in fact most of the power rankings would confirm that - but hey.

Gutted the roster? Really, except for some short term signings of over the hill veterans, how did he do that? This team was a mess; very little rookie and 2nd year talent; no depth anywhere. So now we are claiming that Mac did a good job building the team? He tried a partial tear-down while still winning - how did that work out for us? We had no future. Needlessly gutted coaching staff - LOL - yep they rocked. 2 wins and a stubborn refusal to sit vets.

He inherited a 7 win team that had very little long term talent. JD and the Johnsons agreed to a rebuild. I don't think there is anyone who didn't think we were going to suck this year. This is what a rebuild looks like. Sorry if this is a shock to anyone.

Gase got 2 years (2 too many) and we are calling our CS garbage after 5 games. The only thing more ridiculous than that is the everyone 'in the know' said the Jets were going to absolutely suck under these changes and it would take at least 8 games before the team looked better. So, after 5 games the team and the staff is performing as expected and we have a problem. But already, there are some rookies who are starting to show promise. The D is not great, but did anyone think they were going to be this capable this early with rookies and second year CBs?

The OL has been a disaster for years, did we really think we were going to fix it in 2 years? But yes, let's bring back Mac who didn't draft OL or O in the 1st round for how long. In two drafts JD picked OL in the first twice (and i think the sh*tty names about Becton is over the top), and QB; picked WR twice in the 2nd, including Free Mims.

Finally, JD and the CS are here for at least 2 more years. I don't know if JD or the CS can build a team, but begging for Mac and Gase after 5 games is silly. And, even with our crappy roster and sh*tty CS, i think we will manage to win at least 2 games this year - just as much as our brilliant CS did last year. The difference, the young players are stepping up and filling gaps.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Before you go around using Jon Lynch as an example of a great GM, in his tenure, they have gone:

2017 6-10

2018 4-12

2019 13-3

2020 6-10

2021 2-3

So we are in year 5 for Lynch and he has 1 winning season.  

I definitely agree that JD needs the Jets to start winning games. The whole "Rebuild" thing is cute for a couple of years, but at some point we need to see tangible progress in the form of wins. But it has been just 2 drafts (5 games into his 2nd draft) so it's still way to early to be calling for him to get fired. 

It would be like firing Lynch after that 4-12 season in 2018. 

Agreed, this is a stupid over reactionary thread! I think he has drafted ok overall. He has a questionable round 3 and 4 in his first draft, otherwise I like his picks, andd Clark I bet was going to be good before injury. We may never know!

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets announced a rebuild in 2016, Sucked For Sam, and I was onboard.  This is now Year 5 of the rebuild and we are going backwards.  And I am no longer onboard,

SAR I

I already did the work for you. The lone player that was salvagable on the entire roster was Quinnen Williams. Prove me wrong. You wont, because you can't. 

Here is what we know about your presence on this board:

-You supported Adam Gase on this board ad infinitum. Even when it was abundantly clear that he was in over his head. 

-You said the Jets would start 5-0 last season. You did that AFTER you had a chance to review what Joe Douglas had done to the roster

Just these 2 factoids about you can say a number of things:

1. You have no idea what you are talking about when you talk Jets.

2. You talk just to hear yourself talk.

3. You are here basically to troll.

4. All of the above.

I go with number 4. Shame on me for engaging with a known obfuscator.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I already did the work for you. The lone player that was salvagable on the entire roster was Quinnen Williams. Prove me wrong. You wont, because you can't. 

Anderson and Jamal also but yeah the team JD inherited was terrible. Problem is: is it so much better now? 

not even close to being the worst in the NFL.

1. there are 2 teams Jax and Detroit at 0-5...

2. on defense we rank  15th in passing yards... and get this...where  NUMBER 1 IN LEAST TDs GIVEN UP IN PASSSING... i cant believe that either.. we gave up 4 and before Ryans 2 on Sunday we gave up 2 in 4 games...

we rank 21th in Rush yards on defense... 

and on offense were bad but not the worst...3 worst in Rushing and 4th in passing..

we scored 47 points the last 2 weeks.. we scored 20 in the first 3 games... were improving.

we have been in 3 games out of 5... isnt that what we all said we wanted... to be competitive? and Zach playing well.... well can we give the rookie a little more time? sorry he didn't take off running like Herbert.

what are your goals for the Jets? you wanted to build on that fake 7-9 mirage season? and do what? maybe make a WC and get beat cause Sam Sucky Darnold is our QB? then be in cap hell for the next 4 years and losing cause we had to sign big name guys just to satisfy this fan base for one year.

smh

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, doitny said:

not even close to being the worst in the NFL.

1. there are 2 teams Jax and Detroit at 0-5...

2. on defense we rank  15th in passing yards... and get this...where  NUMBER 1 IN LEAST TDs GIVEN UP IN PASSSING... i cant believe that either.. we gave up 4 and before Ryans 2 on Sunday we gave up 2 in 4 games...

we rank 21th in Rush yards on defense... 

and on offense were bad but not the worst...3 worst in Rushing and 4th in passing..

we scored 47 points the last 2 weeks.. we scored 20 in the first 3 games... were improving.

we have been in 3 games out of 5... isnt that what we all said we wanted... to be competitive? and Zach playing well.... well can we give the rookie a little more time? sorry he didn't take off running like Herbert.

what are your goals for the Jets? you wanted to build on that fake 7-9 mirage season? and do what? maybe make a WC and get beat cause Sam Sucky Darnold is our QB? then be in cap hell for the next 4 years and losing cause we had to sign big name guys just to satisfy this fan base for one year.

smh

As usual, we totally suck and have no shot at the playoffs, but most certainly will not get the top pick. 

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, JTJet said:

I'll post it again...

2019 - JD 25% responsible (7-9)

- Excuse "He needs a real offseason"

2020 - JD 50% responsible (2-14)

- Excuse "He needs his own coach"

2021 - JD 100% responsible (1-4)

- Excuse "He needs another offseason" 

Litterally everything this man has done so far has been going backwards, across the board. You know what they say about the definition of insanity and all that jazz...

He signed his contract on June 7th 2019, since that time the Jets are 10-27 with not a single sign of getting another win this year. By season's end, JD could quite possibly be 10-39, maybe...MAYBE 13-36. 

People will STILL defend that. Amazingly. 

Believe it or not Macagnan had the same defenders here for years saying the same crap

• Upvote 2