Trubisky to the Bills

2 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Is it me or is this a weird landing spot for Trubisky? Shouldn’t he have gone somewhere he would have a chance to compete? 

With the bridge QB spots drying up, my guess is Trubisky and his agent decided to just settle on a comfy QB2 job on a 1-year deal and will try again next offseason, when more money and openings should be available. 

If Trubisky plays at all next season, he should look pretty good with that offense/personnel.  He's a decent enough QB to take advantage of limited opportunities.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jackie Treehorn said:

Is it me or is this a weird landing spot for Trubisky? Shouldn’t he have gone somewhere he would have a chance to compete? 

First thing that went through my mind.  Whats the rush?  An injury somewhere and someone needs a starter?  Or a team where you have even a slight chance as opposed to no chance like Buffalo.  

20 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

You are assuming that teams in the market for a QB to compete want a guy like Trubisky. He is now in Geno Smith territory where he is happy to take a job holding a clipboard for a real QB. 

I don't know why people think Trubisky is any good. The team that drafted, nurtured, watched him develop in practice have decided to go with Andy Dalton instead. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

64% career completion percentage, 64 TDs to 37 INTs. Two seasons with QB Ratings above 94.0. 

This board would be creaming themselves if a Jets QB had those stats. 

I mean, I like to make fun of Trubisky,  but it's also not ridiculous that he could compete on a team that doesn't have a an established starter..

Also, with Allen's penchant for running and not sliding a lot, it's a smart move for the Bills to have a quality backup in place.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

64% career completion percentage, 64 TDs to 37 INTs. Two seasons with QB Ratings above 94.0. 

I mean, I like to make fun of Trubisky,  but it's also not ridiculous that he could compete on a team that doesn't have a an established starter..

So explain why he chose to go to a team where he has zero chance of winning a job? If teams thought he could beat out their QB, he wouldn't have settled on a dead end situation where he can only play if there is an injury. 

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I suppose.  From when I've seen him play though, I never thought he was good.  At all.

More of a filler until they could find someone decent. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I think the reality is that, after 4 years as a non-impressive starter, no team is bringing him in and giving him a full shot to compete for a job.

Guys usually don't get more than 3 years to show that they can handle a starting QB gig in the modern NFL - which is why we are where we are with Sam. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I suppose.  From when I've seen him play though, I never thought he was good.  At all.

More of a filler until they could find someone decent. 

He definitely doesn't pass the eye test. I don't think anyone would roll into the season with him as the clear starter, but he could certainly compete. The Jets might actually have been a good landing spot for him to be the 'guy not good enough to be your long term starter' that paves the way for the rookie to beat him out

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

It's not you, this seems odd.

Unless Trubisky just got no interest anywhere at all and realized "crap, I'm a backup now, sh*t, I'm MARK SANCHEZ!  NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

24 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yep.  Those numbers and Trubisky is going to be a QB2, not even competing for a QB1 job.

Yet you still have people who want to run it back for a 4th time with Darnold.  Sad.  

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Smart for both of them. QBs are currency. Bills system could make Trub look good.

Likewise they could trade him like the Jets did with Bridgewater.

In the meantime he's going to be a backup somewhere, seeing action if the starter is injured so it may as well be for a contender. Not just the system making him look good, and going right from throwing to Robinson to throwing to Diggs, but it's never a bad thing to be the starting QB of a winner, should that come to pass.

Too many well-regarded QBs coming out of school this year. Wait for one or more of them to flop badly, and remarket himself to those teams in 2022. 

43 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's one of those things where stats don't tell the whole story. If you don't watch the box score and look at the guy play, you know he sucks and that's why he's a backup. I call it the Kirk Cousins disease.

I do agree with your premise though, if Darnold put up Trubisky stats you'd have people claiming he's top 5 in the NFL at the position.

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

First thing that went through my mind.  Whats the rush?  An injury somewhere and someone needs a starter?  Or a team where you have even a slight chance as opposed to no chance like Buffalo.  

Easy money holding a clipboard. Not a bad gig if you can get it.