So far for Douglas

AL047

Jets' NFL free agency moves include Joe Douglas caveat (nypost.com)

You had better draft well. Douglas’ philosophy is not revolutionary. I’ve heard a version of it from the last four Jets GMs. The key to pulling it off is hitting on a good number of your draft picks. If you don’t do that, you stay a bad team, and at some point you’ll get desperate and throw stupid money around in free agency.

Douglas has shown he’s not there yet. The signings of Davis and Lawson showed discipline. He targeted those players and came out quickly and landed them. He did not overpay or reset the market and those positions the way the Jets have done in the past with bad contracts (Trumaine Johnson, C.J. Mosley). He also did not handcuff himself long-term. If Davis and Lawson don’t work out, the Jets can move on after the 2022 season with the way their contracts are structured.

This to me is a smart move by the Jets GM, because they have done the same in the past and they got nothing in return by giving those players those contracts. It showing that Douglas has a plan, most don't agree with it but its the only way this team can rebuild the right way. The other thing to is that Douglas has a number to spend on each player if it goes over he moves on from him. 

If I had to rank the needs that Douglas still has to address, I would say: cornerback, running back, interior offensive line, linebacker and another edge rusher. He’ll likely have to hit several of these in the draft, but there are still some attractive free-agent options at some of the positions.

I agree with $30 million left over and a lot of good free agents left on the board the Jets can address any of those needs and draft what they need.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, slats said:

That would be a rush to judgement on the draft class, too, no? I'm looking forward to seeing guys like Ashtyn Davis, Perine, and Clark having expanded roles this season and looking competent filling them. I think that should help the anxiety levels drop a bit. Zuniga compiling a stat would also be nice. But Becton, Mims, Hall and Mann certainly wasn't an awful first effort. 

Still your are losing 25% of their contract life developing. I expected more from 2nd & 3rd rounders

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We desperately need to sign a corner before the draft.

I agree.  Problem is I read an article yesterday that said the Jets actually have only $9M left to spend on FA's.   They have a total of $24M, but $15M must go to the draft.  Most GM's want to go into the season with a stash of money to deal with emergencies.  

We'll see

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Still your are losing 25% of their contract life developing. I expected more from 2nd & 3rd rounders

I think we're all on board with the coaching sucking last year, and the strength and conditioning department being completely bush league. The third round was a disappointment so far, no doubt, but Mims looks promising. And that's on a team that's had maybe two or three decent second round picks in the last 20 years. Hopefully this staff is a lot better. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I agree.  Problem is I read an article yesterday that said the Jets actually have only $9M left to spend on FA's.   They have a total of $24M, but $15M must go to the draft.  Most GM's want to go into the season with a stash of money to deal with emergencies.  

We'll see

He has a ton of cap flexibility, starting with the $10M figures attached to Maye and Crowder. Either could extended in a cap friendly way, or Crowder could take a pay cut or get cut depending on what else they do at WR. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, flgreen said:

We'll see

I wonder what the exact amount is that’s put aside for the draft class, I kept hearing the 12 million number then I read it’s closer to 10 million. Now I see you said 15, I’m curious what the actual number is. 

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

I wonder what the exact amount is that’s put aside for the draft class, I kept hearing the 12 million number then I read it’s closer to 10 million. Now I see you said 15, I’m curious what the actual number is. 

It probably goes down pretty drastically if they opt to trade out of the #2 spot. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

He has a ton of cap flexibility, starting with the $10M figures attached to Maye and Crowder. Either could extended in a cap friendly way, or Crowder could take a pay cut or get cut depending on what else they do at WR. 

Also I remember posting a tweet where someone ( I think spotrac) said that the Corey Davis deal somehow gives the Jets the opportunity to free up 5 million, not sure what steps they have to take or how true. 

Just now, Jetlife33 said:

Also I remember positing a tweet where someone ( I think spotrac) said that the Corey Davis deal somehow gives the Jets the opportunity to free up 5 million, not sure what steps they have to take or how true. 

I alluded to that up top. They could convert Lawson's $7.8M roster bonus into a signing bonus which would free up $5.2M with the stroke of a pen. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I think the overall concern with Douglas stems from the poor return on last years draft. The Jets are bereft of talent and most of those picks couldnt get on the field consistently. 

I'm in that category.  But color me less than delighted with free agency.  Fingers crossed. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I alluded to that up top. They could convert Lawson's $7.8M roster bonus into a signing bonus which would free up $5.2M with the stroke of a pen. 

Yeah I don't see Douglas doing that. He wants to front load things. Maybe he back loads a contract this year if he feels it is worth it but I dont see him ever doing what NE did this year. Thing that is tough is we almost have to draft 2 OL by the 4th round.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

That would be a rush to judgement on the draft class, too, no? I'm looking forward to seeing guys like Ashtyn Davis, Perine, and Clark having expanded roles this season and looking competent filling them. I think that should help the anxiety levels drop a bit. Zuniga compiling a stat would also be nice. But Becton, Mims, Hall and Mann certainly wasn't an awful first effort. 

I agree, but I think the point was about a disappointing rookie season in general in 2020 one in which we got far less on the field than expected from the lot.  Not a "final" judgment.  But 1st year performance overall by 2020 picks was definitely "below expectations" for me.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I actually don't know at this point.  Just an article I read.  I'm sure OTC has somehing on it.

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I actually don't know at this point.  Just an article I read.  I'm sure OTC has somehing on it.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

https://overthecap.com/draft/

Jets $15,345,679

I think the difference in estimates is that the #2 Slot across the board is probably around $10-12M but when you factor in the real picks we have, including SEA's 1st and 3rd, it's the number above.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Your post have been spot on man.

If joes approach is good, say that is agreed, later on when rosters are cut down the 53 and say we pick up a few more good upgrades. Do you believe the Jets will be changed enough with talent and rosters to compete this year?

Because I do. I think we are competitive out of the gate. Hey we might not win all the games but I think Joe will have us in most of them and certainly not being blown out every week.

I know, I know, jets alwaybgive us those hope every year but this year is diff no?

52 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I agree, but I think the point was about a disappointing rookie season in general in 2020 one in which we got far less on the field than expected from the lot.  Not a "final" judgment.  But 1st year performance overall by 2020 picks was definitely "below expectations" for me.  

What did you expect? 2 starters and then the young CD showing promise seems prettydsrn good to me

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Knowing he was building for the future, Douglas took more developmental prospects with more future upside, rather than immediate impact players.  Players develop during practice more so than during games.  Game experience is valueable and cannot be replaced but they spend way more time during practice developing these players.  4 - 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, for almost 25 weeks of film study, walk-thrus, weight training, meetings and on field drills outweighs the approximate 30 minutes of playing time each game, 16 times a year.  Getting on the field in year one is not as valueable as making sure they are building the right habits and developing the right process through out the season.  That is better for sustained success in the NFL, rather than throwing a rookie into the mix and forcing them to sink or swim.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

We'll see

So somebody explain how the Pats signed everybody on the planet with less cap space 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

So somebody explain how the Pats signed everybody on the planet with less cap space 

Lil Bill sold the future.  I suspect he'll be retiring soon, and wants to win a ring without Brady.

He'll leave a big cap mess when he's gone

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah I don't see Douglas doing that. He wants to front load things. Maybe he back loads a contract this year if he feels it is worth it but I dont see him ever doing what NE did this year. Thing that is tough is we almost have to draft 2 OL by the 4th round.

I agree. That’s not what he wants to do but, if Alan Faneca is suddenly available on September 3rd, they’ll have easy access to extra room if they need it. 

31 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Your post have been spot on man.

If joes approach is good, say that is agreed, later on when rosters are cut down the 53 and say we pick up a few more good upgrades. Do you believe the Jets will be changed enough with talent and rosters to compete this year?

Because I do. I think we are competitive out of the gate. Hey we might not win all the games but I think Joe will have us in most of them and certainly not being blown out every week.

I know, I know, jets alwaybgive us those hope every year but this year is diff no?

It’s the optimistic time, but I like the WRs and Edge they’ve picked up. I feel like the roster’s improved before free agency is even close to done or the draft even begins, and I like Saleh and LeFleur, too, so sure I’m ready to see some improvement on the field. Division is gonna be tough, but I like the way they’re headed. 

• Upvote 1

Lewis and Crowder can be cut to save money.  

JD actually has WRs now.  Better than last year.  Maybe he drafts one at 23 or 34, but he needs to draft CB and OL.  I would actually sign CB this year and draft WR and OL. If he drafts Wilson, signs a CB and Neal, and gets better OL, WR and RB in the draft this will be a decent team.  If the line is a turnstile it is all a downward spiral. 

The Jets could have filled their IOL holes in last years draft.  Collosal screwup.  

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Then come summer, it'll be more of the same. Teams will be making the tough cuts to get down to 53 (or however many it will be in a 17 game season), while JD will still have a fat wallet ready to pick up guys late that will help the team. 

It's called the mini draft bud.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

We'll see

Really?! That surprises the hell out of me.

Assuming this is accurate - I'm amazed how teams that went into FA with either little cap room, or negative to significantly negative cap room found ways to hand out huge contracts. Meanwhile we went into FA with the 2nd most $ in the league, handed out a couple comparatively small contracts and already only 9M left ???‍♂️

All the ways GMs structure these contracts (and capology in general) is way over my head. Compare the signings of the two teams, you would have thought the Pats went into FA with 3x the cap space we had. 

8 hours ago, slats said:

With how weak the WR market was this year, I wonder if Crowder would be more open to some kind of restructuring, if JD told him he would be cut otherwise. Does Crowder see $10M+ this year on the open market?