Mosely--Another perspective

19 minutes ago, Alworth said:

Yes, we are stuck with him for cap reasons. But assuming he's motivated and 80% of what he was two years ago he could prove useful. While the two OLBs can fill out Saleh's six man zone pass defenses; Mosely can give the not-very-bulky four man DL needed run support. And as an additional responsibility, after reading pass, patrol the short middle. Even at 80% he can plug holes as well as Bart Scott Scott can and would be more agile than Scott. So while I think his ceiling and snap count are a bit limited in the Salah scheme,, he shouldn't be an albatross for the team (before he's cut or takes a pay haircut next off season). 

Good post. Thanks for contributing to good football talk. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Alworth said:

Have been lurking here for years, Freestater. You and  many others have set the bar very high. I'm just trying to keep up.

I hope Mosely can fit into the lineup. My expectations aren't too high for him. Tbqh, if he shows up to camp in shape and ready for football after a two year hiatus, he'll have beaten the odds. Adjusting from a 3-4 to trying to carve a role as a situational 4-3 end will be difficult. He's been in the 3-4 since Bama. His best chance (as you said) is that extra rusher/spy on 3rd down. 

Actually, the situational use I had in mind was early downs for run support and dropping into the short middle after reading the play. He'll have to show he deserves to be in the game on passing downs because neither pass rushing nor coverage is his thing (though check out his career PD and INT numbers; they are more than respectable for an ILB). But, yes, the big thing is whether or not the infamous bar stool pic speaks to where he's at. If that stuff is behind him and he's in game shape he will be a plus this year (but not worth paying next years big salary to).

• Sympathy 1

There are so darn many “ifs” with this team, CJ is just one of them. Having said that, the 3 quarters he played against the Bills 2 freakin years ago was the most excited I have been to be a Jets fan in a long time. All we can do is hope he brings it this year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Alworth said:

Yes, we are stuck with him for cap reasons. But assuming he's motivated and 80% of what he was two years ago he could prove useful. While the two OLBs can fill out Saleh's six man zone pass defenses; Mosely can give the not-very-bulky four man DL needed run support. And as an additional responsibility, after reading pass, patrol the short middle. Even at 80% he can plug holes as well as Bart Scott Scott can and would be more agile than Scott. So while I think his ceiling and snap count are a bit limited in the Salah scheme,, he shouldn't be an albatross for the team (before he's cut or takes a pay haircut next off season). 

what Bart Scott did in the 3-4 (which features big LBs to engage OL) is much different than what we will be asking our LB's to do in the 4-3 ... with the LB's we have you may see some 4-4 fronts with a deep safety depending on how Saleh wants to work it. If we have smaller faster LB's they will play a big part in coverage underneath

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alworth said:

Actually, the situational use I had in mind was early downs for run support and dropping into the short middle after reading the play. He'll have to show he deserves to be in the game on passing downs because neither pass rushing nor coverage is his thing (though check out his career PD and INT numbers; they are more than respectable for an ILB). But, yes, the big thing is whether or not the infamous bar stool pic speaks to where he's at. If that stuff is behind him and he's in game shape he will be a plus this year (but not worth paying next years big salary to).

IIRC, it was the year that Mosely’s dropping back in the passing game responsibilities went up drastically that his groin got injured...dropping back.

That groin injury was likely from dropping back, and shifting direction for passing the game that his body wasn’t used to.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Its quite simple Saleh seems like a no nonsense type of guy so if Mosley decides to go through the motions and not give it 100% he will either be sitting on the bench or inactive for every game. 

If anybody can motivate him is Saleh

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Gibby said:

I just can’t get onboard. I hate him for what he cost and the dude has played three quarters. Three! He makes me sick.

I hate this guy for opting out after getting a 10M check in March and then the claiming his opt out was because of family concerns.

Then he's pictured in a bar without a mask on.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, freestater said:

I hope Mosely can fit into the lineup. My expectations aren't too high for him. Tbqh, if he shows up to camp in shape and ready for football after a two year hiatus, he'll have beaten the odds. Adjusting from a 3-4 to trying to carve a role as a situational 4-3 end will be difficult. He's been in the 3-4 since Bama. His best chance (as you said) is that extra rusher/spy on 3rd down. 

Mosley is not an outside pass rusher or a cover guy either.  I like the idea that he may not be an albatross to Saleh's defense from the O.P. because I was previously thinking he had zero fit here.  I also don't trust his motivation here.  Anything positive about Mosley is welcomed.  

• Upvote 1

Mosley hasn’t done anything to get the rap he’s getting from this board.  He signed a ginormous **** You money contract- anyone would have, not his fault.  He was locked in for his first game mentally and physically primed but his injury snowballed. Then COVID freaked him out as it did everybody.

He’s been nothing but a quiet absolute stud since day one in the NFL. There’s been zero reason to think he’s not as motivated as ever, he always has been. The guy has a well-earned pristine reputation, let’s not sully it without any evidence.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

I’m with many here, he’s tarnished goods to me. If he stays he’s got to play lights out, just for me to stop disliking him.

The guy got a massive contract that was so badly written from a Jets point of view it’s not funny.

How he played the whole situation with Corvid, the hypocrisy with the bar pictures. He stole money.

He’s also just not a 4-3 Mike, I’m hoping they can move him even for a conditional pick. I think he’s a constant reminder of the previous failed regime. The new brush sweeps clean, get his stinking ass out of here.

• Upvote 1

With a player like Mosley I don't think you have to overthink things too much. He was one of the best ILBs in football before he got hurt. He is easily out best LB right now. He sat out due to Covid last year, not due to injury. I've never seen him 'go through the motions' or not give 100%. He's supposed to be a great locker room presence and on field leader. 

Now. Is he the best fit for a 4-3 Mike? Probably not. But he is more than adequate. In a typical 4-3 (and yes I realize Saleh's 4-3 will be slightly different) the Mike has to be the QB of the defense and typically most responsible for stopping the run. You want him to be fast and athletic but he is typically one of the bigger, tougher, surest tacklers- to take on RBs- and most importantly needs to be your smartest, most experienced LB's. Mosley fits the bill in those regards. Against the pass Mosley will 80% of the time be asked to play zone. If he plays man, its to cover the FB, not RB or TE. This is why the Safety position is so important in Saleh's defense and probably why we signed Joyner after tagging Maye. They are in charge of covering the TE's and RBs as well as giving help to CBs depending on the call. Ulbrich will probably play a lot of Nickel with multiple safeties.   

If Mosley is healthy and shows up in shape I don't see him struggling to transition to the Mike role in Saleh's defense. He's not going to suddenly forget how to play football. Does that mean he will be a Jet long term? I don't know. That depends on his contract, how well he plays this year, and other factors. But right now, you can probably pencil him in at the Mike. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’m with many here, he’s tarnished goods to me. If he stays he’s got to play lights out, just for me to stop disliking him.

The guy got a massive contract that was so badly written from a Jets point of view it’s not funny.

How he played the whole situation with Corvid, the hypocrisy with the bar pictures. He stole money.

He’s also just not a 4-3 Mike, I’m hoping they can move him even for a conditional pick. I think he’s a constant reminder of the previous failed regime. The new brush sweeps clean, get his stinking ass out of here.

That is BS. You are hating him for no reason. 

You can't possibly blame a PLAYER for signing a contract that benefits the PLAYER. That's absurd. What was he supposed to say. "No, sorry guys, I'm stopping negotiations right here, you are simply offering me too much money!"

He played his heart out, played lights out and got injured. You can't really blame a player for that. 

Last year he made a decision to protect his family and sit out due to a f***ing pandemic. It was well within his right and chose to do so. As did many other players. 

The bar pictures have been long debunked as being old. 

As I just explain in my previous post. I don't see CJ struggling at all to transition to a 4-3 Mike. I think a lot of people are overthinking things. If he shows up in shape and stays healthy he should be fine. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Its quite simple Saleh seems like a no nonsense type of guy so if Mosley decides to go through the motions and not give it 100% he will either be sitting on the bench or inactive for every game. 

Why do we assume Mosley, an all-pro player before coming here, who dominated in the only game he played, will be "going through the motions"?  There has been zero indication of that and while I get the opting out could be viewed poorly, its also possible it was just smart business since he saw the talent on the team and the way Gase dealt with players and took a year of wear and tear off his body.

A legitimate concern is what a player looks like after 2 years off, but I dont think we have to worry about his attitude.  If he comes back fresh, we are getting an elite coverage MLB who will be a huge upgrade at the position.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Mosley is not an outside pass rusher or a cover guy either.  I like the idea that he may not be an albatross to Saleh's defense from the O.P. because I was previously thinking he had zero fit here.  I also don't trust his motivation here.  Anything positive about Mosley is welcomed.  

What do you mean "not a cover guy" he is elite in coverage?

I get that he hasnt played in 2 years and that Mac overpaid him but its not our money and he was an all-pro player before coming here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

What do you mean "not a cover guy" he is elite in coverage?

I get that he hasnt played in 2 years and that Mac overpaid him but its not our money and he was an all-pro player before coming here. 

Mosley in all his time at Baltimore, was not heralded for his coverage skills. In his 5 years as a Raven he played 80 games.  He had a total of 9 INTs (and 8.5 sacks).  Not exactly Earth shattering in coverage or in getting through the middle to the QB.  Where Mosley gained his fame in Baltimore by being the king of beasts in tackles, usually in the top rung in the NFL IIRC.  Ask any Ravens fan. It will be interesting to see how he does in Saleh's world, assuming he remains a Jet of course.  What a costly acquisition he has been.  

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

what Bart Scott did in the 3-4 (which features big LBs to engage OL) is much different than what we will be asking our LB's to do in the 4-3 ... with the LB's we have you may see some 4-4 fronts with a deep safety depending on how Saleh wants to work it. If we have smaller faster LB's they will play a big part in coverage underneath

A reasonable concern. But while the MLB in a 4-3 can't be a complete slug, one with both bulk and some athleticism (which Mosely has when motivated and fit) can be an asset in the running game--plug it in the middle and force it to the outside where the OLBs (who indeed should be fast, no question) and others can make a play.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mosley in all his time at Baltimore, was not heralded for his coverage skills. In his 5 years as a Raven he played 80 games.  He had a total of 9 INTs (and 8.5 sacks).  Not exactly Earth shattering in coverage or in getting through the middle to the QB.  Where Mosley gained his fame in Baltimore by being the king of beasts in tackles, usually in the top rung in the NFL IIRC.  Ask any Ravens fan. It will be interesting to see how he does in Saleh's world, assuming he remains a Jet of course.  What a costly acquisition he has been.  

9 INT in the five years means 1.8 per year, which is more than respectable for an ILB. If he played 10 good years, we would be impressed in this era by an 18 interception total for any type of linebacker. More importantly he had 35 passes defensed.--seven per year. That's also impressive in this era for an LB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

That is BS. You are hating him for no reason. 

You can't possibly blame a PLAYER for signing a contract that benefits the PLAYER. That's absurd. What was he supposed to say. "No, sorry guys, I'm stopping negotiations right here, you are simply offering me too much money!"

He played his heart out, played lights out and got injured. You can't really blame a player for that. 

Last year he made a decision to protect his family and sit out due to a f***ing pandemic. It was well within his right and chose to do so. As did many other players. 

The bar pictures have been long debunked as being old. 

As I just explain in my previous post. I don't see CJ struggling at all to transition to a 4-3 Mike. I think a lot of people are overthinking things. If he shows up in shape and stays healthy he should be fine. 

Let's see how he does relative to Hightower after Covid. that will be interesting