Do you think Sam Darnold could get worse?

Just a simple question, do you think Sam can get worse then he has been or better?

I personally believe he can't get worse, & he can only go up from already hitting rock bottom.( Especially with a real NFL Staff to coach him here, or some other team)

My personal opinion:

Year 1: showed potential

Year 2: meh

Year 3: garbage dumpster juice

He's obviously declining, but he didn't have anything to help him also.( He's still young too.)

If you think he can never get better than garbage juice, & his NFL career is over I can see why too.

I'm just on the fence, I just want what's best for the Jets. That's why I think /thought that trading out of #2 for tons of picks was the best option & riding with Sam for just one more year with real players & coaches was best for the team.

I completely understand all the benefits ( tons of them ) of getting a new qb @ 2 also, I really do. ( I'm just not sold on the top 3 QB prospects this year, hell every few weeks the rankings almost change anyway.)

If people think he can still improve, why not just keep him?

If you think he still has room to get worse, then dump him/ trade him.

I'm sorry, I guess this should of been a poll instead? ( Go easy on me please, it's my first time. I've been abused enough by watching this team since 1977)

Sent from my SM-G930V using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JETSY14 said:

If our o line goes from being ranked 29th to 32nd in the league then yes he can get worse. 

If it makes you feel any better, the oline was already ranked last in pass protection. 

29th takes into account the great run blocking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I love Darnold, wish he had progressed enough in his 3 years to make him viable. But reality is his mechanics and decision making have not been good. We can blame Adam Gase and bad oline play for some of his issues, but he has been coached by Jordan Palmer throughout his Jets career with no noticeable improvement. Time to move on.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Just a simple question, do you think Sam can get worse then he has been or better?
I personally believe he can't get worse, & he can only go up from already hitting rock bottom.( Especially with a real NFL Staff to coach him here, or some other team)
My personal opinion:
He's obviously declining, but he didn't have anything to help him also.( He's still young too.)
If you think he can never get better than garbage juice, & his NFL career is over I can see why too.
I'm just on the fence, I just want what's best for the Jets. That's why I think /thought that trading out of #2 for tons of picks was the best option & riding with Sam for just one more year with real players & coaches was best for the team.
I completely understand all the benefits ( tons of them ) of getting a new qb @ 2 also, I really do. ( I'm just not sold on the top 3 QB prospects this year, hell every few weeks the rankings almost change anyway.)
I'm sorry, I guess this should of been a poll instead? ( Go easy on me please, it's my first time. I've been abused enough by watching this team since 1977)

I’m with you. Can only get better. And the (haul)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

The famous quote “no matter how bad things get...they can always get worse” applys here. But in reality, if Sam doubles his production his number are just over 4000 yards 18 TDS and let’s say 12 INTS (assuming he plays all 16) that’s still not worth it to pass on a guy with potential to be great IMO. every one knows the talent on the team stinks, the coaching stinks all of that but realistically if he could be the guy we thought he would be if he had all those things he would at least be like the 20th ranked qb he was literally the worst

I don't  think any QB could play much worse than what we saw out of Darnold last season. I mean he had some good moments  but it was painful to watch at times. I blame the Jets for a lot of his problems but he also contributed in a lot of ways. He just made the same stupid mistakes repeatedly.  

• Sympathy 1

I don’t think Darnold would be worse if he’s the starting QB in 2021 for the following reasons:

• Given a trade back scenario the OL could very well be Becton, Wyatt Davis, McGovern, Slater and Fant.  By mid season that group could be top 10.
  • Gaze is gone and that alone will have a huge impact.  The system will be QB friendly and he will have more weapons.
  • Davis, Crowder, Mims, Cole and a rookie WR TBD along with an improved Herndon and Friermuth will be a huge improvement.
  • A rushing attack that makes a lick of sense instead of ‘Darnold to Gore’ when everyone watching knows it’s coming.

All that said, I would prefer Wilson even knowing his supporting cast won’t be as good as the above.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Icer said:

He's gotten progressively worse the more he's played, so it's very possible even with a few more weapons. That includes his last year at USC

at this point darnold is not regarded as a starting qb in 2021.  if he regresses further he'll struggle to make active rosters as a backup.  this is entirely possible.

21 hours ago, Mike135 said:

If it makes you feel any better, the oline was already ranked last in pass protection. 

29th takes into account the great run blocking. 

We had the absolute worst-ranked OLine in pass protection, one of the worst sets of skill position players in the league, and a coach known for holding back QB development (ex. Tannehill).... and we're wondering why Sam Darnold was ranked at the bottom of the league.  It's kinda like stepping outside during a hurricane and being surprised that it's wet everywhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If / when the jets draft a qb @#2, just trade Sam for whatever we can get. ( Sign Mullens ) I understand having a qb competition, but what if the 2nd overall pick in the entire draft can't beat out the worst qb in the league in training camp? That's just a unnecessary fear I have, draft the shiny new qb and watch him not win / earn a starting gig over Sam. In the end, I'll support whatever the team does. I just don't want to waste the 2nd overall pick on a need that just might not even be necessary with better talent & coaching around Sam. Do I think Sam can be a top 10 qb ? NO ( Maybe top 13-20 with help) But In this new system, we just need a boring game manager.

On 3/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, Suffering since 77 said:

My personal opinion:

i think sam darnold was done in 220  be for he got started