The Draft Wilson/Keep Darnold, too, Hypothesis Thread

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

Douglas is holding onto Darnold way TOO long, and will get nothing for him.

I remember hearing people say that JD wouldn't get a first round pick for JA. How did that work out? The situation is fluid. Some QB needy team will get desperate during the draft when they see their options evaporate as all the top QBs get drafted in the top 7 picks. Sam and the 23 for Carolina's 8. RA is talking up Sam to Carolina's brass as we speak.

18 minutes ago, Sim said:

Are you kidding me! Why in the world would Douglas/Jets ownership, take QB Wilson say, then retain Darnold for what reasons? Douglas is holding onto Darnold way TOO long, and will get nothing for him. Cut bait and move on.........start fresh with the new coaching staff and new QB! C'mon Jets........get your act together!

Because handing the starting QB job to a rookie, whether or not they are ready for it, is a mistake, and the coaching staff actually believes in Darnold?

21 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

BS. Listen, I'm not pretending to know more about this situation than you but it is 100% nonsense to say they will not get a 3rd rounder compensatory pick for Sammy Darnold. Some team is going to go all in with Sammy whether that team is the Jets or no. There are too many teams that believe that Sammys career has gone awry due to the Jets complete lack of willingness to surround Sammy with a complimentary cast.

So the premise is that the Jets are going to hold onto Sam Darnold one more year, let him walk when his contract is up, and some team is going to pay him north of $20M/year right off the bat? 

Not a chance. It will never happen. And even if it did, you're still talking about the difference between the 72nd pick in this year's draft vs. the 100th pick of the 2023 draft. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And if thats the case why would you trade him for a 3rd round pick?

If he weren't tradable and we had him for a year and then he walks we would get a 3rd road comp.  Why would JD trade him for that or less? 

The last thing JD wants is a QB controversy situation on his hands. Sam's gone, the market will determine his value. If no one is willing to give you even a third, then that tells you what others think about Sam's overall potential. Anyway, at least most of you are finally realizing that trading Sam wouldn't fetch us much.

If JD thinks that Zach's the "guy" you flush Sam for whatever you get. Plus, it wasn't JD 's pick anyway.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

This coaching staff comes from SF, where they were able to develop Garoppolo and a bunch of jags, cant see why Sam and Wilson cant coexist.  I cant see for the life of me why it has to be a disaster.  I think the whole only one QB at a time issue isnt being over blown.  Like I said, Eli and Warner weren't problematic, Brees and Rivers, no problem for the short term.  

Where is the media taking sides?  Pretty much all the well knows are torn between drafting Wilson or staying the course with Sam, which isnt to say that they will "take sides" if Wilson was drafted and Sam outplayed him and earned the starting nod.  

I'm kind of tired of the poor rookie QB doesnt need the stress of having to compete for the starting nod while knowing the job will eventually be handed to him.  Did Tua deserve to be handed the starting job?  Hell no.  Fitz was screwed and when asked voiced it, did it tear the fish apart?  No.  

This is a case of fans wanting to move on and watch their shiny new toy from game one while CS and the FO want what's best for the kid long term with the largest return for Sam.

First of all the Fitz comparison doesn't work because he was already the second oldest quarterback in the league and only person who didn't know that job was not his long term was Fitz himself.  Everyone new Tua was going to get in there sooner than later. 

I keep reading about competition, no one said hand him the job, we all advocated for bringing in a vet to let him compete and perhaps sit behind for a few games.   I understand your shiny new toy argument and it perhaps has some merit, how ever, if you draft a quarterback at TWO, NOT 15 OR 25 BUT AT TWO, you must have already come to the conclusion that he is your future and perhaps even present starter quarterback.    Sure you provide competition and if player is as good as his draft status says he is, he should show enough to eventually become the starter.   Like I said the only person who thought Fitz was the long term answer at quarterback for the Dolphins was Fitz.    

Sam Darnold may or may not ever become a true franchise quarterback; the odds say that he won't. Doesn't mean he can't become a top 15-20 quarterback eventually.   Again, he has a lot of work to do.   At this point we don't know for sure if the Jets will be selecting Zach Wilson or Justin Fields but all signs point to Wilson.   Again this is just my opinion but I see this kid with top 10 quarterback talent if properly developed, Fields may take more time but also have similar ability.   I want to spend every resource helping them get the necessary coaching, reps and talent to help them reach their potential.   I don't see bringing back Sam as ideal in accomplishing that.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think the sky would fall in if they do, but I do feel it would add unnecessary drama. Yes I am ready to move on. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

First of all the Fitz comparison doesn't work because he was already the second oldest quarterback in the league and only person who didn't know that job was not his long term was Fitz himself.  Everyone new Tua was going to get in there sooner than later. 

I keep reading about competition, no one said hand him the job, we all advocated for bringing in a vet to let him compete and perhaps sit behind for a few games.   I understand your shiny new toy argument and it perhaps has some merit, how ever, if you draft a quarterback at TWO, NOT 15 OR 25 BUT AT TWO, you must have already come to the conclusion that he is your future and perhaps even present starter quarterback.    Sure you provide competition and if player is as good as his draft status says he is, he should show enough to eventually become the starter.   Like I said the only person who thought Fitz was the long term answer at quarterback for the Dolphins was Fitz.    

Sam Darnold may or may not ever become a true franchise quarterback; the odds say that he won't. Doesn't mean he can't become a top 15-20 quarterback eventually.   Again, he has a lot of work to do.   At this point we don't know for sure if the Jets will be selecting Zach Wilson or Justin Fields but all signs point to Wilson.   Again this is just my opinion but I see this kid with top 10 quarterback talent if properly developed, Fields may take more time but also have similar ability.   I want to spend every resource helping them get the necessary coaching, reps and talent to help them reach their potential.   I don't see bringing back Sam as ideal in accomplishing that.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think the sky would fall in if they do, but I do feel it would add unnecessary drama. Yes I am ready to move on. 

I hear you and there are some fair points but the only thing that different with Fitz is Fitz gets that his time is short lived.  I could care less what he feels, the same situation would present its self to Wilson whether he sits for Fitz or Sam IMO

Just now, TeddEY said:

If you don't like Wilson, how about the exact opposite of this.

Trade Darnold, Trade the pick, and sign Alex Smith or someone like him.

No way in hell. 

Id much rather go with Nick Mullins who is only 26. Alex Smith is 37 and has that leg injury. 

6 hours ago, neckdemon said:

so your argument against keeping sam is that he may be better than wilson? 

i don't know whos better. but JD should. and if he thinks its Sam then don't draft a QB at 2.

yes Sam will beat Wilson out in a competition. but not because hes better but because he has 3 years in the NFL. Wilson is a brand new rookie. i think most NFL vets can beat out rookie QBs. that why there never in a real competition. that why every rookie that's not siting behind a HOF (Favre) or and really good starter (Smith) gets to play most of there 1st year

but tell me something, what's the endgame here?

you know were not extending Sams contract for 18 mil. he will be a free agent. so Sam plays well then what? Wilsons on the bench the whole year? we sign Sam to a multi year contract worth a lot and go with Sam from 2022 and beyond?

that's what you want to see right?

but what's really going to happen is Wilson will start 3/4 of the season. so were keeping Sam for 4 games? as bad as Rosen was he still started 13 games so Arizona could see what they had.

even Mahomes who sat the 1st yr while Smith went 9-6 was still given the team the next year. if Sam goes 9-6 you guys would start a riot if they try to bench him. hell i probably be with you on that. but what happens to Wilson? he sits on the bench never to start a NFL game so we can see what he has? you can try to trade him but hes not going to be worth what a 2OA pick is. and Wilson could be better than a 9-6 Sam. we will never know unless he plays.

my point is if your drafting Wilson then go all in. sign Mullins who can help him with the system to help get him on the field faster.

if you want Sam than don't draft a QB. there is a lot of good players we could get with that pick. i just don't see the benefit of having both on the same team.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:16 PM, jetstream23 said:

This idea has been kicked around a little bit but it seems to be getting more legs lately.  Some points being made in the linked video below...

• If the Jets keep Darnold and he departs after next year they'd likely get a compensatory 3rd rounder
  • If the current market isn't yielding offers much higher than a 3rd there's no compelling reason to trade Darnold
  • Bart Scott even suggests picking up the 5th year option given the Jets cap space and situation wouldn't be a problem and would still likely be a discount to what teams would be paying low-end starters in 2022
  • Trading Darnold after the Draft in the Summer or the Fall could yield better offers.

ESPN: Why the Jets aren't rushing to trade Sam Darnold

1321027480_ScreenShot2021-04-02at6_10_10PM.png.fd9cdb8a69c674afd0a6910f1d9a32a7.png

My question - What would be the expected Cap cost in 2021 of drafting Wilson and keeping Darnold?  What would that cost be in 2022 if Darnold was on a 5th year option and still kept (similar to Brett Favre starting in GB for two years while Aaron Rodgers waited)?

Is the reason the Jets haven't signed any other QB like CJ Beathard an indication the Jets could be serious about rolling with both Darnold and Wilson in 2021?

darnold out of jets