Who do you think will emerge as WR #1?

Mims or Davis? They are both built for it, in Davis' case he came close to a 1000 yard season in Tennessee playing second fiddle to AJ Brown last season, but with us he will be our most experienced WR. I think Mims might be a tad more athletic with a tad higher upside but Davis is probably stronger physically, the more experienced route runner and ready to explode on the scene as a legit #1. 

I say for next year Davis will garner the most respect out of an opposing defense at least so maybe Mims becomes the main target. Maybe neither becomes a true number one but more like solid number 2 types, a true number in my opinion is a guy who is so talented no matter what he the defense throws at him he will find a way to get open and stay productive. For the first time since Marshall/Decker I feel like we have a serious duo at WR on this team.

Who will emerge as the top dog though? Or is that guy still not on the roster?

Edited by Slikmojet!
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

I don't get caught up in the #1 and #2 stuff.  I think both players will be very productive in the run and pass game.  I think when we reflect on the 2021 season, we'll be happy with where our WR group is at. We have 4 solid receivers this year.

Really?  Pray tell who these solid receivers are because I wouldn't  call what I saw oit of Mims and Barrios solid.

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Really?  Pray tell who these solid receivers are because I wouldn't  call what I saw oit of Mims and Barrios solid.

Davis, Mims, Crowder, and Cole is a solid group. If your talking about 2020, I agree.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Marshall/Decker and prior to that the trio of Braylon/Holmes and Cotch, and before that Keyshawn/Chrebet, and Toon/Walker. It seems like every winning era for the Jets has had good WR tandems. 

We might a decent Foursome with Davis/Mims/Crowder/Cole... if Herndon gets his head out of his ass and goes back to his rookie year self, we might be on to something.

That was so odd (Herndon). Talk about a precipitous drop in production, the guy completely fell off a cliff. It would be great to just have a legitimate deep threat. Usually I'm just nervous about a drop on 3rd and 3 or some pedestrian yet critical crap like that. Anyway, seeing as the Jets have been rebuilding since the height of Ancient Mayan Civilization, they need to at least learn how to go with what's working at any given time, which they somehow never do . . . BY DESIGN (?).

What I mean by that is how many times have us lifers seen the Jets winning a game by the run for example and then inexplicably go away from it and start lobbing airballs? Softballs? Hairballs? Whatever. They would change gears and lose because of it. It would murder me in my seat. Don't ask me to cite specific examples. I just woke up and the debacles and the games the Jets choked away over the years all blend together. Coffee, coffee, where's the coffee?! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Mims or Davis? They are both built for it, in Davis' case he came close to a 1000 yard season in Tennessee playing second fiddle to AJ Brown last season, but with us he will be our most experienced WR. I think Mims might be a tad more athletic with a tad higher upside but Davis is probably stronger physically, the more experienced route runner and ready to explode on the scene as a legit #1. 

I say for next year Davis will garner the most respect out of an opposing defense at least so maybe Mims becomes the main target. Maybe neither becomes a true number one but more like solid number 2 types, a true number in my opinion is a guy who is so talented no matter what he the defense throws at him he will find a way to get open and stay productive. For the first time since Marshall/Decker I feel like we have a serious duo at WR on this team.

Who will emerge as the top dog though? Or is that guy still not on the roster?

Neither.  We'll have two #2's, presuming Mims takes a big step up and stays healthy.

There is no legit #1 on the roster at current.

34 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Davis is ok but I wouldn't say solid, Mims has a lot to prove, Keelan Cole? Your kidding right? That is a pure dart throw. 

Really?

1000 yards, 5 100 yard games in 14 games in a running offense isnt even solid?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Davis is ok but I wouldn't say solid, Mims has a lot to prove, Keelan Cole? Your kidding right? That is a pure dart throw. 

I'm really intrigued by Cole. I mean he had 650 yards in only 5 starts last year for a Jags team that was not exactly the greatest show on turf. Also the below tweets are kind of wild to me: 

So while I'm not penciling him in for Canton - a guy that has solid production, can play inside and outside, and is pegged to be our #4 receiver is far from a dart throw. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

If I had to project grades on these players for 2021. Granted, I am by no means an expert, and objectively I'm an optimist by nature, at least until the games start, lol.

Davis: B+, if your expectations are a a top 5 player like his draft position would suggest, then you'll be disappointed. However, that doesn't mean he isn't a very good receiver.  He's been productive with both Mariota and Tanny. Him and Brown are a team that helped each other be productive, and I expect the same here with Mims.

Mims: B, potential for B+. I loved him coming out of college.  Injuries and Sam's regression hurt his production. He was open quite a bit and didn't get the ball thrown his way. Also, playing with Davis and the improved run game will give even more favorable matchups.

Crowder: B, production may drop this year, but still will be reliable.

Cole: B, I think this is an underated signing. Very good ball skills and body control. Not straight line fast, but quick. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes well liked by this fan base for his play making ability.

53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?

1000 yards, 5 100 yard games in 14 games in a running offense isnt even solid?

vs. #2 and #3 DB's and Defenses more worried about stopping Henry than Davis.

No worries, we'll see soon enough if Davis can shoulder the load when HE is the top option.

Since he's never had to do it before, this is all speculation anyway.  Facts will come in Sept.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No worries, we'll see soon enough if Davis can shoulder the load when HE is the top option.

Since he's never had to do it before, this is all speculation anyway.  Facts will come in Sept.

You have no idea who he did it against, none of us do, your just throwing it out there as fact.  DBs dont float back and forth covering 1's or 2's unless theyre named Revis.  They play one side of the field, this is wrong.  

And I could care less, 1000 yards 5 100 yard games in only 14 games while playing on a run first team is solid no matter how hard you try to dispute it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You have no idea who he did it against, none of us do, your just throwing it out there as fact.  DBs dont float back and forth covering 1's or 2's unless theyre named Revis.  They play one side of the field, this is wrong.  

And I could care less, 1000 yards 5 100 yard games in only 14 games while playing on a run first team is solid no matter how hard you try to dispute it.

LOL, you trying to convince me, or yourself? :-k

Whatever you say my friend, everyone knows he was the #2 WR in the Tenn. offense, and the third option after Henry and Brown.  

Like I said, no stress on my end, he's getting a hell of an opportunity to be a #1 here, and we'll see for ourselves very soon how solid he is.

1 hour ago, Jdub03 said:

If I had to project grades on these players for 2021. Granted, I am by no means an expert, and objectively I'm an optimist by nature, at least until the games start, lol.

Davis: B+, if your expectations are a a top 5 player like his draft position would suggest, then you'll be disappointed. However, that doesn't mean he isn't a very good receiver.  He's been productive with both Mariota and Tanny. Him and Brown are a team that helped each other be productive, and I expect the same here with Mims.

Mims: B, potential for B+. I loved him coming out of college.  Injuries and Sam's regression hurt his production. He was open quite a bit and didn't get the ball thrown his way. Also, playing with Davis and the improved run game will give even more favorable matchups.

Crowder: B, production may drop this year, but still will be reliable.

Cole: B, I think this is an underated signing. Very good ball skills and body control. Not straight line fast, but quick. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes well liked by this fan base for his play making ability.

All I'm going to say about Davis is he benefited from having Brown opposite him and having the defense defend the run first. He isn't  going to have that on the Jets. Nobody is going to shift the D to Mims unless he takes a giant step this season. Davis will also draw the top DB on the Jets.

Crowder is a slot guy who is solid at that position so I guess I can give you that. 

Mims never had a game over 80 yards, never had a TD, and was never the focus of a game plan. I know Gase and Darnold shares blame but he had chance take a statement and didn't  exactly take advantage.  

Not even going to talk about Cole. Pure wild card

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Who? Cole? The guy said we have 4 solid receivers. Mims is solid?  Cole is solid?

7 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

We might a decent Foursome with Davis/Mims/Crowder/Cole... if Herndon gets his head out of his ass and goes back to his rookie year self, we might be on to something.

Here are the 4 he was referring to. I think that’s a solid 4 heading into the draft

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Based on your deep analysis of the Titans' offense. lol

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

All I'm going to say about Davis is he benefited from having Brown opposite him and having the defense defend the run first. He isn't  going to have that on the Jets. Nobody is going to shift the D to Mims unless he takes a giant step this season. Davis will also draw the top DB on the Jets.

Crowder is a slot guy who is solid at that position so I guess I can give you that. 

Mims never had a game over 80 yards, never had a TD, and was never the focus of a game plan. I know Gase and Darnold shares blame but he had chance take a statement and didn't  exactly take advantage.  

Not even going to talk about Cole. Pure wild card

Why won't you talk about Cole? Because you didn't know what you were talking about, perhaps?

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

LOL, you trying to convince me, or yourself? :-k

Whatever you say my friend, everyone knows he was the #2 WR in the Tenn. offense, and the third option after Henry and Brown.  

Like I said, no stress on my end, he's getting a hell of an opportunity to be a #1 here, and we'll see for ourselves very soon how solid he is.

Theres nothing to convince anyone of.  Trying to downgrade Davis because of who you think covered him is a new twist though.  Have to say no one has come up with this.  From he wasnt a #1 to he was their 3rd option and including their rb into the mix to no one was really covering him.  

Actually if Brown was the #1 WR you would expect the Titans to try and create mismatches by moving Brown to the #2 CBs side, leaving Davis covered by the #1 CB.  In reality they both were covered by 1's and 2's.

Still, lots of excuses why 1,000 yards with 5 100 yard games isnt even solid in your eyes.  Not even solid, the point of all this.  

No stress here either, I think he's going to be solid, as he was in Tenn.  I think we're bette at WRr, pretty decent Davis, Cole & Crowder headed into the draft and the 2nd round of FA.   Come on, give him solid, lol

I would not at all be surprised if DenzeI Mims ended up being number 1? I was very impressed with what little I saw on the field from him last season. I think he has exceptional hands and is just an excellent all around WR. We shall see....

32 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

How come Davis, having almost identical numbers to Brown, it was Davis who benefited by having Brown next to him and not the other way around?  

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Trying to downgrade Davis because of who you think covered him is a new twist though.

Describing Davis as the Titans #2 WR and 3rd offensive option isn't "downgrading" him. 

It's accurately representing what he was in the Tenn. Offense.

At no point in his career to date has been a #1 WR and primary passing weapon, as he likely will be called upon to be here.

Still, lots of excuses why 1,000 yards with 5 100 yard games isnt even solid in your eyes.  Not even solid, the point of all this.  

No sure why you're so worried over the word "solid", like it has some specific meaning, lol.  

Also think you're confusing me with someone else, I have not (to my memory) denounced him as "not solid" in his time in Tenn. 

He was a near-1K WR for a single season last year in his contract "walk-year", and ok'ish previous to that (400, 900, 600 yard seasons).

If he's able to produce here at a 1,000 yard+ 8+ TD type level as our #1 WR, great. 

If he's the 2019 version of himself (600 yards and only 2 TD's with lots of missed time) then we've basically no better than we were without him. 

TBD.

I think we're bette at WRr, pretty decent Davis, Cole & Crowder headed into the draft and the 2nd round of FA.   Come on, give him solid, lol

As covered elsewhere, on paper we are the weakest team in the AFC at WR as we stand today IMO.

It's possible we will prove otherwise once the 2021 season starts, especially with a new system and likely a new QB, but right now, we're at the bottom.  

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Describing Davis as the Titans #2 WR and 3rd offensive option isn't "downgrading" him. 

At no point in his career to date has been a #1 WR and primary passing weapon, as he likely will be called upon to be here.

No sure why you're so worried over the word "solid", like it has some specific meaning, lol.  

Also think you're confusing me with someone else, I have not (to my memory) denounced him as "not solid" in his time in Tenn. 

He was a near-1K WR for a single season last year in his contract "walk-year", and ok'ish previous to that (400, 900, 600 yard seasons).

If he's able to produce here at a 1,000 yard+ 8+ TD type level as our #1 WR, great. 

If he's the 2019 version of himself (600 yards and only 2 TD's with lots of missed time) then we've basically no better than we were without him. 

TBD.

As covered elsewhere, on paper we are the weakest team in the AFC at WR as we stand today IMO.

It's possible we will prove otherwise once the 2021 season starts, especially with a new system and likely a new QB, but right now, we're at the bottom.  

Jaguars, Texans, Patriots, Ravens and Raiders are worse. Maybe the Broncos too depending on Sutton. 

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But doesnt describe the WR set up.  This is pointless, if you cant see that theres no reason to add Henry into it I dont know what to tell you but that Tenn has a strong running game isnt a knock on their WRs.  Its apples to oranges.  Who cares what hes been up to now.  Lots of players, lots of different sports are brought into different situations and succeed well above what they've done in the past.  For years I heard Robby wasnt a #1, you said it.  Well he is now

Because you added yourself into a conversation, onto my post asking why someone thought he wasnt a solid WR.  

More excuses for his 1K season, it was his walk year.  At a position where hes totally dependent on someone else.  He made Tannehill throw him more passes and he caught them for a payday.  It keeps getting better.  

Using your parameters and grading system, I'm not shocked by your ranking us at the bottom of the AFC.  I'm thinking off the top of my head Jax, Cincy, Houston, Bal and probably more are worse

• Haha 1