2022 quick peek ahead

• If Fant improves from last year (which was a good year) in a scheme that is even more suited to his skillset, I could see an extension coming for him.

If not, we’ll cut and be looking to upgrade in free agency or the draft.

• I’m really curious to see Maye’s extension. He’s old and I’m hoping the deal is short on time. Let him have 2 years guarenteed $, but he should be completely off the books by the time people like Q and Bechton are in need of extensions and 5th year options. Arrives faster than you think!

• We’ll most likely be drafting a corner high next year, but adding significant capital for one in free agency this year (Nelson) or next year should be a top priority.

• I full expect us to sign Derek Barnett when he’s a free agent next year.

• Let’s see how McGovern does this year…could be looking to draft his replacement or sign his successor next year.

• Mosley’s contract is going to be such a pain next offseas

• Sympathy 1

I'd add most of the defensive line to the notable free agents. Fatukasi, Shepherd, Franklin-Myers, and Phillips are all decent players. Herndon is a free agent too I believe. There are actually a lot of guys set to expire. Guidry too as a presumptive starting nickel. This might be the first year they are set up get compensatory picks.

Assuming the gradual OL build continues, I imagine we'll see one to two of C, RG, and RT addressed next offseason. Remove RG if Cam Clark takes that one over. Very early it looks like a good center class, two of the favorites who were potentially entering this year returned.

Great year to help out the young QB with a tight end IMO. If there's nobody in FA, and honestly I don't know how many tight ends in the league would make me feel great about the position if added, then I expect that to be a focal point in the draft as well. Class looks okay early - last year's class all the top guys but Pitts got worse as the year went on. Hopefully this year is the opposite.

And a great opportunity to add a bookend edge rusher across from Lawson. I guess this is a free agent possibility. Draft class looks good too. I think for both Douglas and Saleh everything starts up front so I'll never be surprised if they take an edge early.

Corner honestly will depend on who emerges. Either a big need or largely a non-issue. Similar in terms of whether it's a priority with at safety and obviously the Maye situation is a factor there but the inn could be pretty full at corner heading into next offseason.

Linebacker I think they'll continue to add discount players rather than any premium capital spent there but some things will need to be figured out.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, yeah, the picks aren't even a week old yet But since the Jets are still building rather than built, and since I just took a look because why not...

Assuming a $200MM cap ceiling, the Jets are under by ~$60MM, give or take. However even that number assumes all of the following non-guaranteed contract players are on the 2022 roster: Lewis, Fant, McGovern, Rankins, GVR, and Griffin. There's no way they're all returning, and perhaps not even half of them. Even playing it overly conservative and assuming they keep half of them, that's still another ~$20MM. So ~$80MM on a $200MM cap (or $90MM on a $210MM cap, etc.).

From there subtract for a Maye extension, and whatever lower carryover for the veteran CB (Sherman? Poole?) many presume they'll sign sooner or later this spring. That'll eat into that space a little, but in no way will it be crippling.

That's just the spending ability. Then there are the draft picks -- they're a mid-round pick short of having ~2 drafts' worth of picks in 2022:

• 1 (Sea; Jamal Adams)
  • 2 (Car; Sam Darnold)
  • 4 (Car; Sam Darnold)
    • (our 4th went with Adams to Sea)
  • 5 (Pit; Avery Williamson)
  • 6 (SF; Jordan Willis)
  • 6 (TB; Steve McLendon)
    • (our 7th went with Williamson to Pittsburgh)

Other than Maye, the most notable 2022 FAs are Crowder; Davis; Cole; Feeney; Joyner; Kroft; Adams & Coleman. No one irreplaceable, and 2-3 of those losses could turn into 2023 compensatory draft picks (signed FA offsets notwithstanding).

There's also a chance the Jets move on from and dump a veteran or two before the trade deadline for 2023 picks, as they did last year, to contenders with needs at those positions. Too early to tell which yet, or if it'll happen, but if JD is anything (good or bad) he's a dealmaker so that'll always be an option. 

If Douglas doesn't trade up, as he did for AVT in round 1, it wouldn't surprise me to see at least one of these picks traded for a round higher pick in 2023 either. 

The elephant in the room on their future success of course is Wilson, but that result would be an unknown today no matter which QB they took. For this year all they have to do is show the picks made and FAs acquired were worthwhile. 

With those obvious caveats, on paper they're set up in excellent shape. Nice to see.

Nice. Here's a list of WRs and TEs to think about with all that money we'll have saved. Davante could be interesting if the Pack move on from Rodgers. Robinson scares me from giving him a big deal, but I'd ultimately be ok with it. Ridley isn't going anywhere, and I think Godwin will get far too much and would prefer to stay away. Don't care about the rest for our purposes. For TEs, I really like Njoku and Gesicki but lets see if either of them shake free.  

1) Davante Adams, Green Bay Packers 
2) Allen Robinson, Chicago Bears - 
3) Calvin Ridley, Atlanta Falcons*
4) Chris Godwin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5) D.J. Moore, Carolina Panthers*
6) Will Fuller, Miami Dolphins
7) Robby Anderson, Carolina Panthers
? JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers
9) D.J. Chark, Jacksonville Jaguars
10) Jamison Crowder, New York Jets

1) Evan Engram, New York Giants
2) Zach Ertz, Philadelphia Eagles
3) Mike Gesicki, Miami Dolphins
4) Robert Tonyan Jr., Green Bay Packers
5) David Njoku, Cleveland Browns
6) Hayden Hurst, Atlanta Falcons*
7) Eric Ebron, Pittsburgh Steelers
? Jimmy Graham, Chicago Bears
9) Jared Cook, Los Angeles Chargers
10) Rob Gronkowski, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Sympathy 1

Its now time for JD to build a team, by whatever means necessary. 

It can't focus on winning the draft or FA.  He has to focus on winning football games.

Let's past draft was another foundational build, although the 2020 was only half as effective as it should have been.

But for now, that means he starts trading for key pieces and being more aggressive in FA.

But I think that is next year.   For now, the key is to support Wilson, which may mean holding onto to Lewis and Crowder.  

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, yeah, the picks aren't even a week old yet But since the Jets are still building rather than built, and since I just took a look because why not...

Assuming a $200MM cap ceiling, the Jets are under by ~$60MM, give or take. However even that number assumes all of the following non-guaranteed contract players are on the 2022 roster: Lewis, Fant, McGovern, Rankins, GVR, and Griffin. There's no way they're all returning, and perhaps not even half of them. Even playing it overly conservative and assuming they keep half of them, that's still another ~$20MM. So ~$80MM on a $200MM cap (or $90MM on a $210MM cap, etc.).

From there subtract for a Maye extension, and whatever lower carryover for the veteran CB (Sherman? Poole?) many presume they'll sign sooner or later this spring. That'll eat into that space a little, but in no way will it be crippling.

That's just the spending ability. Then there are the draft picks -- they're a mid-round pick short of having ~2 drafts' worth of picks in 2022:

• 1 (Sea; Jamal Adams)
  • 2 (Car; Sam Darnold)
  • 4 (Car; Sam Darnold)
  • 6 (SF; Jordan Willis)
  • 6 (TB; Steve McLendon)

Other than Maye, the most notable 2022 FAs are Crowder; Davis; Cole; Feeney; Joyner; Kroft; Adams & Coleman. No one irreplaceable, and 2-3 of those losses could turn into 2023 compensatory draft picks (signed FA offsets notwithstanding).

There's also a chance the Jets move on from and dump a veteran or two before the trade deadline for 2023 picks, as they did last year, to contenders with needs at those positions. Too early to tell which yet, or if it'll happen, but if JD is anything (good or bad) he's a dealmaker so that'll always be an option. 

If Douglas doesn't trade up, as he did for AVT in round 1, it wouldn't surprise me to see at least one of these picks traded for a round higher pick in 2023 either. 

The elephant in the room on their future success of course is Wilson, but that result would be an unknown today no matter which QB they took. For this year all they have to do is show the picks made and FAs acquired were worthwhile. 

With those obvious caveats, on paper they're set up in excellent shape. Nice to see.

yep. douglas has done a good job of keeping the pipeline open through next year.  and that should hlep especially if they have a better than expected season and have to pick in the gigh teens or low twenties.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, derp said:

I'd add most of the defensive line to the notable free agents. Fatukasi, Shepherd, Franklin-Myers, and Phillips are all decent players. Herndon is a free agent too I believe. There are actually a lot of guys set to expire. Guidry too as a presumptive starting nickel. This might be the first year they are set up get compensatory picks.

Assuming the gradual OL build continues, I imagine we'll see one to two of C, RG, and RT addressed next offseason. Remove RG if Cam Clark takes that one over. Very early it looks like a good center class, two of the favorites who were potentially entering this year returned.

Great year to help out the young QB with a tight end IMO. If there's nobody in FA, and honestly I don't know how many tight ends in the league would make me feel great about the position if added, then I expect that to be a focal point in the draft as well. Class looks okay early - last year's class all the top guys but Pitts got worse as the year went on. Hopefully this year is the opposite.

And a great opportunity to add a bookend edge rusher across from Lawson. I guess this is a free agent possibility. Draft class looks good too. I think for both Douglas and Saleh everything starts up front so I'll never be surprised if they take an edge early.

Corner honestly will depend on who emerges. Either a big need or largely a non-issue. Similar in terms of whether it's a priority with at safety and obviously the Maye situation is a factor there but the inn could be pretty full at corner heading into next offseason.

Linebacker I think they'll continue to add discount players rather than any premium capital spent there but some things will need to be figured out.

Yeah I'm surprised I forgot about Fatusaki; probably because I was just looking down a list and his $$$ are so low I never got to his row.

I was hoping he'd have been extended, while the team holds such leverage (he's made nothing so far, and if he has a down-year or gets seriously injured this summer/this season he may never cash out). aybe they're thinking he's not such a scheme fit. I think any scheme needs to be able to stop the run, particularly when you know it's coming on short yardage and/or goal line, but still. 

Then again, maybe they wanted to take another shot on someone else (e.g. Marshall) and see if they think he'd do as well, or nearly as well, for a fraction of the cost. I just didn't think he'd be crazy money to extend, as a 2-down nose, they don't have any cap issues at all, and it negates the point of having so many draft picks if they're going to just bring in outside FAs at those same positions before they're given more than a rookie season to show their stuff.

Herndon, meh. I know it sounds weird to word this way, but he's not worth extending until he shows he's worth extending. He was a half-season tease as a rookie and has been nothing since then. Some of it can be blamed on injury; some of it on Gase's offense that doesn't really feature the TE position as a weapon. 

As for the others:

• Guidry's a FA and he's not. He would be an ERFA. He can only re-sign with the Jets, unless the Jets decline to make one at all, no matter how low the offer. 
  • Franklin-Myers isn't on the team now, is he?
  • Philips is a reserve. There are a hundred guys like him. He's fine depth but until such time as he finishes the season with 10 sacks then he'll be able to be retained for not-too-much, or the Jets will let him go in favor of an edge they draft, or frankly I'm still hopeful that Zuniga will be something as an edge with his hand in the dirt rather than standing up read-and-react OLB.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• 1 (Sea; Jamal Adams)
  • 2 (Car; Sam Darnold)
  • 4 (Car; Sam Darnold)
  • 6 (SF; Jordan Willis)
  • 6 (TB; Steve McLendon)

Having this many picks in what is projected to be a deep draft...this can be franchise altering if we see some glimpses of a foundation this year. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Nice. Here's a list of WRs and TEs to think about with all that money we'll have saved. Davante could be interesting if the Pack move on from Rodgers. Robinson scares me from giving him a big deal, but I'd ultimately be ok with it. Ridley isn't going anywhere, and I think Godwin will get far too much and would prefer to stay away. Don't care about the rest for our purposes. For TEs, I really like Njoku and Gesicki but lets see if either of them shake free.  

1) Davante Adams, Green Bay Packers 
2) Allen Robinson, Chicago Bears - 
3) Calvin Ridley, Atlanta Falcons*
4) Chris Godwin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5) D.J. Moore, Carolina Panthers*
6) Will Fuller, Miami Dolphins
7) Robby Anderson, Carolina Panthers
? JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers
9) D.J. Chark, Jacksonville Jaguars
10) Jamison Crowder, New York Jets

1) Evan Engram, New York Giants
2) Zach Ertz, Philadelphia Eagles
3) Mike Gesicki, Miami Dolphins
4) Robert Tonyan Jr., Green Bay Packers
5) David Njoku, Cleveland Browns
6) Hayden Hurst, Atlanta Falcons*
7) Eric Ebron, Pittsburgh Steelers
? Jimmy Graham, Chicago Bears
9) Jared Cook, Los Angeles Chargers
10) Rob Gronkowski, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Way too early to start spending $ on others' FAs.

We don't know what this draft class is at all, and haven't seen the current receivers (the three who are signed for the next 2-3 years after that) playing together & with Wilson. There may be a need and there may not be.

What if Mims absolutely crushes it this year? What if he gets injured again and has another 300-yard season? What if... (you get the idea). 

I still think they're likely to do something at TE before the season. Maybe not, but I'd be surprised if it's just Herndon - Griffin - Kroft. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I'm surprised I forgot about Fatusaki; probably because I was just looking down a list and his $$$ are so low I never got to his row.

I was hoping he'd have been extended, while the team holds such leverage (he's made nothing so far, and if he has a down-year or gets seriously injured this summer/this season he may never cash out). aybe they're thinking he's not such a scheme fit. I think any scheme needs to be able to stop the run, particularly when you know it's coming on short yardage and/or goal line, but still. 

Then again, maybe they wanted to take another shot on someone else (e.g. Marshall) and see if they think he'd do as well, or nearly as well, for a fraction of the cost. I just didn't think he'd be crazy money to extend, as a 2-down nose, they don't have any cap issues at all, and it negates the point of having so many draft picks if they're going to just bring in outside FAs at those same positions before they're given more than a rookie season to show their stuff.

Herndon, meh. I know it sounds weird to word this way, but he's not worth extending until he shows he's worth extending. He was a half-season tease as a rookie and has been nothing since then. Some of it can be blamed on injury; some of it on Gase's offense that doesn't really feature the TE position as a weapon. 

As for the others:

• Guidry's a FA and he's not. He would be an ERFA. He can only re-sign with the Jets, unless the Jets decline to make one at all, no matter how low the offer. 
  • Philips is a reserve. There are a hundred guys like him. He's fine depth but until such time as he finishes the season with 10 sacks then he'll be able to be retained for not-too-much, or the Jets will let him go in favor of an edge they draft, or frankly I'm still hopeful that Zuniga will be something as an edge with his hand in the dirt rather than standing up read-and-react OLB.

Fatukasi would make sense as a two down run stuffer but I don’t think he’s even playing two downs. Williams and Rankins will be starting, I think. He’s a good player but I don’t think they like him as a fit.

I was looking at the expiring guys purely from a compensatory formula standpoint.  Figure even Elflein showed up this year in the OTC calcs so anybody who might get signed helps. 

Franklin-Myers is definitely still on the team and could play a decent role. I actually think he’s the best and possibly only extension option. Though I do think Phillips is kind of underrated. I also think Herndon is gone though hopefully he surprises.

Good call on Guidry. That’s nice. Hopefully a little continuity at corner next year.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Way too early to start spending $ on others' FAs.

We don't know what this draft class is at all, and haven't seen the current receivers (the three who are signed for the next 2-3 years after that) playing together & with Wilson. There may be a need and there may not be.

What if Mims absolutely crushes it this year? What if he gets injured again and has another 300-yard season? What if... (you get the idea). 

I still think they're likely to do something at TE before the season. Maybe not, but I'd be surprised if it's just Herndon - Griffin - Kroft. 

Well, yes. It is way too early. I thought that was the entire premise of the thread? 

Whether Mims or Moore absolutely crush it or get injured is largely irrelevant if Davante Adams is somehow available.

And for TE, it won't just be Herndon Griffin Kroft. I have high hopes for Yeboah. 

what about QW?

by May 1 2022 we have to make a decision whether to pick up his 5th year option.

i know i know, ...hes great of course we sign him... 

but lets think smart here. lets think like JD. he traded Jamal Adams because he knew he could not sign him and that is not a position to tie up big money. 

well neither is DT.

it might make sense for JD to trade him and get 2 1st rd picks then to sign the extension and watch him leave cause he wants too much money. you can Franchise him but  then he loses some trade value as you get him for one year rather than 2. 

i know this will upset some of you but if were good with good players than these are some of the decisions we will have to make. 

we cant pay everyone on DT is not that position. 

9 hours ago, doitny said:

what about QW?

by May 1 2022 we have to make a decision whether to pick up his 5th year option.

but lets think smart here. lets think like JD. he traded Jamal Adams because he knew he could not sign him and that is not a position to tie up big money. 

well neither is DT.

it might make sense for JD to trade him and get 2 1st rd picks then to sign the extension and watch him leave cause he wants too much money. you can Franchise him but  then he loses some trade value as you get him for one year rather than 2. 

i know this will upset some of you but if were good with good players than these are some of the decisions we will have to make. 

Often I agree, except if the Jets had $15MM less cap space they wouldn't be in worse shape. Likewise, with that extra cap space and another late first round pick or two we might not be in any better shape (those first rounders would have to turn into superstars first).

So while it's true you can't pay everyone, you also can't pay no one. And after purging some awful contacts, this team won't have cap concerns until Wilson's cap number is in a $40MM/year range. That's 5+ years off, if he's even good enough for it to ever happen.

When a team has such an influx of draft picks locked up for another 3-5 years, as the Jets will have, there's just no need to cut corners here.

Overall I like how things are shaping up, but at some point the planning stage has to convert over to the competing stage. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, doitny said:

what about QW?

well neither is DT.

Depends what kind of DT. Definitely don’t pay a run stopping DT serious money, but the DT’s who can create interior pressure are extraordinarily valuable. Those guys get paid. Williams has absolutely shown flashes of being that guy. If he gets there this year, paying him is absolutely a smart decision.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

• If Fant improves from last year (which was a good year) in a scheme that is even more suited to his skillset, I could see an extension coming for him.

If not, we’ll cut and be looking to upgrade in free agency or the draft.

• I’m really curious to see Maye’s extension. He’s old and I’m hoping the deal is short on time. Let him have 2 years guarenteed $, but he should be completely off the books by the time people like Q and Bechton are in need of extensions and 5th year options. Arrives faster than you think!

• We’ll most likely be drafting a corner high next year, but adding significant capital for one in free agency this year (Nelson) or next year should be a top priority.

• I full expect us to sign Derek Barnett when he’s a free agent next year.

• Let’s see how McGovern does this year…could be looking to draft his replacement or sign his successor next year.

• Mosley’s contract is going to be such a pain next offseas

It very well might be, but the jets are positioned well against the cap and with it supposed to rise significantly over next year and the year after they should be more than fine. Remember they are paying basically no one for the next 3 years aside from Maye. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

As for the others:

I like Fatukasi, but I don't see him as a priority for this D.  For Rex or Parcells?  Sure.  I think these guys want more slashers than stuffers.  I'd like to have him back, but if not there will be other guys to take what will probably be a part time role. 

Franklin-Myers is on the team.  He is in the 4th year of the contract he signed as a 4th rounder of the Rams (I think it was the pick they got for Ogletree).  I like him.  I wonder what these guys will think of him and if he will thrive.

Kyle Phillips will be an RFA.  I feel the same about him as JFM, but a little less optimistic. 

Guidry is a tiny guy.  This is a new staff.  They might not like him.  I think people expecting the same lower tier guys to stick may be surprised.  Remember when people were writing Parry Nickerson's name in the rotation in ink?  Lamar Jackson is long, but they might not like him either. 

19 hours ago, varjet said:

Let's past draft was another foundational build, although the 2020 was only half as effective as it should have been.

I’m sorry, but how could 2020 have been better? I understand the injuries and the Morgan & Perine argument but unless you provide specifics rather than generalizations then it’s worthless. 

You’ll have a year’s hindsight to benefit from. That’s always helpful in selling a narrative.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

According to over the cap, https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/ were $24.9M under the cap, not $60M

You're looking at the wrong year ;). Click the tab that says "2022" under the Jets logo. Keep in mind I think he's presuming a cap ceiling a little over $200MM for now, but regardless he's also assuming everyone on that list will be on the roster.

His charts correctly have everyone who's on the team and under contract for that year for each team. I'm quite certain Jason has opinions on it, but right there on the chart isn't the place for predicting which current Jets be gone between today & week 1 of the 2022 season. 

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fine, add him in there if you like, but let's see if he makes the team before he even makes the practice squad. As of today, the best thing in his favor is Kroft being one of the other 3 names, lol. 

$200,000 guaranteed for this year. That makes it a pretty solid roster spot.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

$200,000 guaranteed for this year. That makes it a pretty solid roster spot.

People are giving away roster spots over $200K?  Are you ******* kidding me?  Even with all the cap space, this team is eating $21M in dead money.  $200k barely guarantees a spot in camp.

EDIT: To point out that it is actually $21,178,273.  Nobody cares about the $178,273.  That is because $200K is meaningless to an NFL salary cap.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

People are giving away roster spots over $200K?  Are you ******* kidding me?  Even with all the cap space, this team is eating $21M in dead money.  $200k barely guarantees a spot in camp.

EDIT: To point out that it is actually $21,178,273.  Nobody cares about the $178,273.  That is because $200K is meaningless to an NFL salary cap.

They gave out 2 of these contracts. Dunn & Yeboah. Rashed Jr. got a large deal as well.

I guess we’ll see.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Often I agree, except if the Jets had $15MM less cap space they wouldn't be in worse shape. Likewise, with that extra cap space and another late first round pick or two we might not be in any better shape (those first rounders would have to turn into superstars first).

So while it's true you can't pay everyone, you also can't pay no one. And after purging some awful contacts, this team won't have cap concerns until Wilson's cap number is in a $40MM/year range. That's 5+ years off, if he's even good enough for it to ever happen.

When a team has such an influx of draft picks locked up for another 3-5 years, as the Jets will have, there's just no need to cut corners here.

Overall I like how things are shaping up, but at some point the planning stage has to convert over to the competing stage. 

Watching JD operate this off-season makes you wonder about 2020.  it really seems like JD's focus was clearing the deck (Gase included) and in hindsight he didn't put a lot of effort into the team last year.   

It certainly seems like there is a clear vision and plan...just seems like Gase wasn't part of it and the real effort starts now.    I am cautiously optimistic that at least one of Zuniga or Clark fit the Saleh/Lafleur profile and just redshirted last year with Gase/Williams.   

• Upvote 1