Cimini: Should Jets Be Concerned By Wison's Early Hiccups?

flgreen

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer4h

Should New York Jets be concerned by Zach Wilson's early hiccups?

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Clearly, New York Jets coach Robert Saleh had done his research, an indication he anticipated a question about the early struggles of rookie quarterback Zach Wilson.

"There was a Hall of Famer [Sunday] that was inducted that had a 71 quarterback rating his rookie year," Saleh said Monday.

It was a reference, of course, to Peyton Manning, who threw 28 interceptions and finished with an unsightly 71.2 passer rating in 1998 for the Indianapolis Colts. Saleh wasn't predicting a HOF gold jacket for Wilson; he was simply emphasizing growing pains are the norm at quarterback.

Wilson is experiencing them right now, and there's nowhere to hide. He's the QB1 and, unlike the other four teams that drafted quarterbacks in the first round this year, he doesn't have an experienced backup to push him or be a safety net.

The Jets set it up this way, going all-in with their prized rookie. The advantage is that Wilson -- the No. 2 overall draft pick -- gets all the first-team reps and invaluable on-the-job training. It allows him to establish his leadership from the outset; it's a chance to make it his team.

The downside is the tremendous pressure that comes with the position, knowing the entire organization is counting on him to overcome the rookie hiccups and be ready for the Sept. 12 opener against the Carolina Panthers (1 p.m. ET, CBS) as well as his predecessor, Sam Darnold, the Jets' 2018 first-round draft pick.

Every team has its own philosophy when it comes to grooming quarterbacks. The Jets, in a rebuilding year, are taking a long-term view. They're prepared for the bumps, confident there's a smooth road ahead.

It shows how much they believe in Wilson. They considered him a no-brainer type of pick over Trey Lance (San Francisco), Justin Fields (Chicago) and Mac Jones (New England), who were drafted Nos. 3, 11 and 15, respectively. The Jets didn't bring in a veteran until last week, with the signing of journeyman Josh Johnson, but he's more of a mentor than a viable backup.

"It is going to get worse before it gets better," said Saleh, perhaps trying to tamp down expectations for Wilson. "But he's at that point now where he's going to be able to stack up [good] days, and we have all the most utmost confidence in him and his ability, his ability to figure out the mistakes and correct him and get to a better place."

Wilson hasn't been awful, but he's had a handful of mediocre practices. Under the lights, in an instrasquad scrimmage Saturday night at MetLife Stadium, he threw two interceptions and led the offense to three points in seven possessions. On Monday, it was a mixture of good and bad. In a red zone period, he lofted a perfect fade route to Corey Davis for a 9-yard touchdown. He followed with another scoring pass to Davis, delivering the ball with nice velocity.

And then he ended the practice with seven straight incomplete passes, four of which came in a third-down period.

The Jets expect Wilson to make strides, and one of the reasons is because the offense just finished its installation -- meaning the players now have the entire playbook at their disposal. The hope is Wilson can shift into review mode, drilling down on everything that has been taught by offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur.

But that doesn't mean instant improvement. As Saleh noted, it usually gets worse before it gets better for most rookies.

"Really the biggest thing is, he's sharp," the coach said. "He'll talk through it all, he knows exactly where people are supposed to line up. He's very fluid in a huddle, he's got great command, he can correct people on the field. Now it's just a matter of getting reps and getting him opportunities to absorb all of the different things that he can see from the other side of the ball, and also just getting good timing with his receivers.

"So, he's fine. He's going to be just fine and ... there's a process that he's got to go through."

Wilson will play at least one quarter in the first preseason game, Saturday night against the New York Giants (7:30 p.m. ET). No matter how he plays, it's important to remember the learning curve. Even Hall of Famers can relate to that.

• Upvote 1

No need to look to Cimini or any of the other talking heads for a proper evaluation of Wilson.  You've got me :) 

As advertised (by me) and promised (by me), I will announce by the end of game three of the regular season if Wilson is going to be a sure bust, or if he at least has real potential to grow into a reasonably consistent and productive starting NFL QB.

It wont take any longer than that to make the call on Wilson being an absolute bust or not. 

That does not in any way discount the fact that he will have rookie growing pains even if he does exhibit potential.

Stay Tuned !!! 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Someone remind Cimini how Zach Wilson has yet to even take a single preseason snap just yet. 

I've never created a Twitter account but I think over the weekend I'm going to create one. Just so I can flame these beat writing hacks and expose them for being grown men who attack younger kids with horse crap articles. 

I bet Cimini never even threw a football a day in his life and I guarantee he never played little league or High School sports. Because you can just tell (by the way he writes) how he's clueless in regards to Football. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

“Wilson hasn’t been awful . . . “ (Cimini’s routine admission that his article is premature)

I expect Wilson to suck because he’s a Jets QB, but let’s let him actually suck in a game or two first before sounding the alarm bells 

What? It's been a constant conversation on here..a place with Jets Fans... Cimini...a reporter who writes things.. for Jets Fans..

His job is to get attention (not write only the articles worthy of Jets Valhalla) so it seems his article is right on time. 

53 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

God do I hate hearing about Peyton Manning's rookie season when excusing away poor young QB play.  There are literally 100x more examples of players continuing to suck then there are players turning into Manning.  There is a reason there is only one example that people use over and over again and oh hey look, 30 years later and he's still the only example!  Infuriating.

And this "first team" reps narrative is straight garbage.  Nothing would have changed by bringing in a veteran.  Nothing.  You still do the same rep share you're doing right now with 2 other QB's.  Biggest load of bull sh*t ever for pure roster negligence.

Zach Wilson is in over his skies.  This was always going to be the case and only his blow hard fanbois thought differently, despite their defensive tune their signing now.  He's a huge project who is/was nowhere near ready to start in the NFL week 1.  If it's this regime's decision to let him go out there and learn on the job, trail by fire, figure it out on your own; cool but dont be surprised if you ruin this kid with this approach.

It’s like Sam Darnold never happen 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

What? It's been a constant conversation on here..a place with Jets Fans... Cimini...a reporter who writes things.. for Jets Fans..

His job is to get attention (not write only the articles worthy of Jets Valhalla) so it seems his article is right on time. 

Nah. He's been a writing hack for over 25 years now and still doesn't understand nor comprehend how Zach Wilson is a rookie (in training camp) and has yet to throw a single  PRESEASON pass just yet. He's horrible. 

• WTF? 1

20 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Right. 

I think the article would make a lot more sense coming after a bad preseason game. Zach Wilson hasn't played in an NFL game yet, and hence, his "hiccups" are hardly defined. 

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Name a qb who as a rookie lit it up his 1st 2 weeks of camp w/ no struggles.

Answer- no one

Zach’s struggles are normal and a good thing.  Thats how u learn.

And what would it say about our Saleh led Defense if our Defensive players were getting punked by some inexperienced rookie with not even preseason experience?

Look at my username. I'd probably be having an absolute panic attack right now...

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Name a qb who as a rookie lit it up his 1st 2 weeks of camp w/ no struggles.

Answer- no one

Zach’s struggles are normal and a good thing.  Thats how u learn.

Has to be.... it can't be that he follows in the footsteps of EVERY QB we've drafted since O Brien. 

The most important position on the field and we haven't gotten it right in 35 years

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Has to be.... it can't be that he follows in the footsteps of EVERY QB we've drafted since O Brien. 

The most important position on the field and we haven't gotten it right in 35 years

Listen - the chances are very good that Wilson will be a disappointment because most QBs that that enter the NFL are a disappointment in the pros- only a small fraction live up their pre-draft hype. The Jets are not the only franchise to have intimate knowledge of this phenomenon. 

This doesn't mean that status updates two weeks into a player's first NFL training camp are particularly relevant or useful for predicting future outcomes. 

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

God do I hate hearing about Peyton Manning's rookie season when excusing away poor young QB play.  There are literally 100x more examples of players continuing to suck then there are players turning into Manning.  There is a reason there is only one example that people use over and over again and oh hey look, 30 years later and he's still the only example!  Infuriating.

And this "first team" reps narrative is straight garbage.  Nothing would have changed by bringing in a veteran.  Nothing.  You still do the same rep share you're doing right now with 2 other QB's.  Biggest load of bull sh*t ever for pure roster negligence.

Zach Wilson is in over his skies.  This was always going to be the case and only his blow hard fanbois thought differently, despite their defensive tune their signing now.  He's a huge project who is/was nowhere near ready to start in the NFL week 1.  If it's this regime's decision to let him go out there and learn on the job, trail by fire, figure it out on your own; cool but dont be surprised if you ruin this kid with this approach.

How long have you had this post planned? Let's see the other Manning ducked early, Brees was totally terrible, Tannehill was petty bad and is now solid. There are many other examples. The exception here of course is that Zach hasn't even played a preseason game and you saying he's not ready. He's not s huge prospect that us your opinion and rest is just speculative BS. Wilson can suck but no one can know either way after 10 practices.

• Upvote 1

This is all ridiculous. A normal-paced expectation timeline for a rookie QB who is starting Day 1 should be:

BY THE END OF YEAR 1:

- has QB learned and been able to apply the majority of the offense?

- has QB gotten better seasons the beginning of the season (less TO’s, increased completion %, increased TDs)?

- did QB display the ability to bounce back after bad plays, practices, and games?

- did the QB establish himself as the leader of the offense?

BY THE END OF YEAR 2:

- has QB improved significantly in every major statistical category from his rookie season?

- has QB’s play and leadership translated to an increase in team wins?

- has QB been able to master the offense?

BY THE END OF YEAR 3:

- has QB continued to improve statistically?

- with mastery and leadership of the offense established, has QB been able to become an extension of the coaching staff to the field?

- has QB demonstrated enough to secure a long-term investment in a second contract?

Of course the Year 3 vs Year 4 can sort of bleed into each other with where the QB is at vs. the situation of the team. Do they have better options at QB to move on? Did QB cement themselves as their franchise player etc? 

But typically that offseason from Year 3 to Year 4 you should know if this is the guy we are committing money, resources, and time to.

Let Year 1 be the learning curve….he should be better by seasons END. Let’s all relax after a handful of practices where he hasn’t looked great, but he hasn’t look bad either. He’s just been very meh. If it’s Jan 9, 2022 @ Buffalo and our wonder boy Zach has 10 TDS, 22 INTs, and 15 fumbles at that point of the season…oh yeah I’ll be panicking not going to lie. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Listen - the chances are very good that Wilson will be a disappointment because most QBs that that enter the NFL are a disappointment in the pros- only a small fraction live up their pre-draft hype. The Jets are not the only franchise to have intimate knowledge of this phenomenon. 

This doesn't mean that status updates two weeks into a player's first NFL training camp are particularly relevant or useful for predicting future outcomes. 

of course but under the Johnsons we haven't developed ONE. NOT ONE  so that is more important in the analysis.

Although, I like that we are trying to surround him with talent. That's a plus.

• Haha 1

This is easy, evaluate Zach as we see him.  We can say he is bad when he is bad and great when he is great.  This notion that we need to provide and roll out the book of excuses to defend it isn’t necessary.  In fact it’s foolish.  We had people yesterday saying Zach was doing something unprecedented....Lol.  He’s a rookie QB that went to a bad football team, happens every year.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

of course but under the Johnsons we haven't developed ONE. NOT ONE  so that is more important in the analysis.

Although, I like that we are trying to surround him with talent. That's a plus.

Sure, but the Jets were failing to develop successful young QBs long before the Johnson's showed up. 

The Johnson's have not done a lot right in the last 11 years, but this trend goes well beyond them. The Jets have been poorly run for a long, long time. So, a lot of things haven't worked.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

My sentiment exactly. 

He wasn't my pick, I had serious doubts, but he is OUR QB, and we want him to be a success.

I wanted Trevor Lawrence.  When the Jets won the Rams game, I torched all my Jet items in my fire pit.  I'm still in for Jets discourse, but blowing their shot at Lawrence was a monumental blunder. 

• Haha 1

Click bait stupidity (presumably as I didn't read it). A rookie with early hiccups.... Um, ok, what's the problem? Should he be having hiccups as an established vet instead? Everyone, rookies included, make mistakes, struggles at times, takes time to grow, and hopefully learn from their mistakes and struggles. Now that the basic pattern of life in general has been established I think we can move on until discussion of bust'dom is actually warranted. You only get better by playing a better opponent which means you will at times lose and make mistakes. The winners grow from those trials and tribulations... Anyone who's great at anything now has gotten their ass handed to them in the past and probably take an occasional beating now and then that you don't hear about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Click bait stupidity (presumably as I didn't read it). A rookie with early hiccups.... Um, ok, what's the problem? Should he be having hiccups as an established vet instead? Everyone, rookies included, make mistakes, struggles at times, takes time to grow, and hopefully learn from their mistakes and struggles. Now that the basic pattern of life in general has been established I think we can move on until discussion of bust'dom is actually warranted. You only get better by playing a better opponent which means you will at time lose and make mistakes. The winners grow from those trial and tribulations... Anyone who's great at anything now has gotten their ass handed to them in the past and probably take an occasional beating now and then that you don't hear about. 

Of course it's clickbait.

I'm amazed anyone is expecting Cimini - or any author outside pure fan sites and the official team site - to pen articles with a title like Wilson has some early hiccups but that's ok it doesn't mean anything because Peyton Manning

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

No need to look to Cimini or any of the other talking heads for a proper evaluation of Wilson.  You've got me :) 

As advertised (by me) and promised (by me), I will announce by the end of game three of the regular season if Wilson is going to be a sure bust, or if he at least has real potential to grow into a reasonably consistent and productive starting NFL QB.

It wont take any longer than that to make the call on Wilson being an absolute bust or not. 

That does not in any way discount the fact that he will have rookie growing pains even if he does exhibit potential.

Stay Tuned !!! 

Only 3 games you say?

Theres a lock in the making

This place is loaded with fans who have shlt on Baker, Jackson and Allen but now want us to think that fans at home reading tweets can tell us what A QB will or wont become after 10 practices.  

Probably a high proportion who also thought we should trade Quinnen for "hopefully" a 3rd round pick 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

No offense but the worst logic ever.  What does Zach, picked by JD have to do with O'B, Chad, Sanchez, Geno or Sam? 

Chiefs went from Dawson to Mahomes and who in-between?  Who'd the Pats draft before Brady?

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Only 3 games you say?

Theres a lock in the making

Yeah... About that long.  Three games is about right.  Not saying I can project his learning curve or anything like that.  Just if he is a sure bust or not.  Even if he is not a sure bust, he may or may not work out in the end.  Only a few years at work will yield answers to that. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

How long have you had this post planned? Let's see the other Manning ducked early, Brees was totally terrible, Tannehill was petty bad and is now solid. There are many other examples. The exception here of course is that Zach hasn't even played a preseason game and you saying he's not ready. He's not s huge prospect that us your opinion and rest is just speculative BS. Wilson can suck but no one can know either way after 10 practices.

Brees and Tannehill were not terrible.  They were both .500 in their first season and did not just win a single game and neither one broke the rookie INT record.  Terrible comparisons.  Not even close at all and no, there are not many other examples, hence why Manning is the only one repeated over and over again.  

And I didnt make a single statement about Zach Wilson sucking, I said it seems that he's not ready to start week 1 based on the reports we are hearing and the fact that he's a huge project taking an insane jump from a talent perspective.   You being an over sensitive fanboy who comes running to his defense at any criticism has you reading things I never typed.  I simply pointed out that the Manning comparison is stupid and the reps limitation for signing a vet narrative is also, stupid.  They're both so dumb it's mind numbing.  Therefor, I simply stated what many of us were concerned about, he's not ready for week 1 and we dont have a fall back option.  Which is fine but I think you're playing with fire.  

• Upvote 3