Do you try to trade for a pass rusher if you're Joe D?

AFJF

No.

The Lawson injury stinks but 2021 is all about developing Zach Wilson and with two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks Joe Douglass should get our elite pass rushing 4-3 DE through the draft.

(and I'd like for him to use Seattle's 1st + Carolina's 2nd in order to trade up for one too and flip Jamal/Sam into our next #94). 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Claymation said:

With the loss of Lawson, this is a 4-5 win team, Kayvon Thibodeaux becomes a possibility with a top 5-10 pick.

So no, stay put.

I think he's going top 3 unless he looks like trash or has a major injury.  

Edited by AFJF

Definitely not.

We're not looking for a piece to put us over the top. All that matters this year is Zach's development - If we're spending any resources it should be on helping him. Our guys need to step up. Huff is going to play a lot this year.

We'll hopefully be competitive enough this year and then we have another huge draft to add more pieces to the team. Hopefully Lawson makes a full recovery and is another addition for 2022. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, Claymation said:

I believe Strong, Rattler and Howell will go in the top 3. Leaving Stingley and Thibodeux there at 5, that doesn’t include college players who will rise.

We'll see, but if the guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball play to their potential (even without Lawson) then I think the Jets are well out of range for where they'll need to be to get Thibodeux.

I posted this in another thread:

It stinks to lose Lawson, from what I saw he and Williams were
going to be a big problem for offenses.  What will be interesting
to see is who steps up to grab Lawson's spot on the roster.  To
me the following DLinemen are going to make the team:

Williams
Rankins
Huff
Fatukasi
Franklin-Myers
Blair
Marshall

Who takes the last 1 or 2 spots?

Rashed
Smart
Zuniga
Shepherd
Curry
Phillips

And will Saleh/Ulbrich move guys around to different spots
to get the best pass rushers on the field?  Could we see
Williams or Rankins at DE in some packages?  Interesting
coaching decisions coming up

So I vote no.  Let's see what a young staff does with young players

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, KRL said:

I posted this in another thread:

It stinks to lose Lawson, from what I saw he and Williams were
going to be a big problem for offenses.  What will be interesting
to see is who steps up to grab Lawson's spot on the roster.  To
me the following DLinemen are going to make the team:

Williams
Rankins
Huff
Fatukasi
Franklin-Myers
Blair
Marshall

Who takes the last 1 or 2 spots?

Rashed
Smart
Zuniga
Shepherd
Curry
Phillips

And will Saleh/Ulbrich move guys around to different spots
to get the best pass rushers on the field?  Could we see
Williams or Rankins at DE in some packages?  Interesting
coaching decisions coming up

So I vote no.  Let's see what a young staff does with young players

There's no denying that the loss of Lawson stings, but that's still a pretty damn good group.  If Huff takes that jump we sometimes see in guys going from year 1 to year 2 then it can still be a formidable D-line.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

No…we’re rebuilding and need all the picks and cap space we can get for the next 2 seasons.

This year is all about:

- changing the culture and team mentality

- developing the youngins

- win some games to have some sort of confidence going into next year for a wild card spot

Yeah, while we all fantasize about playoffs the jets need to see who they’re keeping beyond this season.  And with 2 picks in the first and second rounds next year you know pass rushers will be emphasized in the scouting process.

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

We'll see, but if the guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball play to their potential (even without Lawson) then I think the Jets are well out of range for where they'll need to be to get Thibodeux.

This is a 5 win team and they'll be a QB or two that comes out of nowhere to move to the top of the board too.  Jets will have their pick of a top 4 or 5 position player.

• Upvote 3

Saleh will make adjustments to compensate. He lost both bosa and armstead to ACL early on last yr (vs the Jets) and he still had a top 5 defense. Maybe he will have to blitz more and/or someone else will step up. Still some guys out there to pick up needed as others have posted, Aldon smith was not mentioned. 

8 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Saleh will make adjustments to compensate. He lost both bosa and armstead to ACL early on last yr (vs the Jets) and he still had a top 5 defense. Maybe he will have to blitz more and/or someone else will step up. Still some guys out there to pick up needed as others have posted, Aldon smith was not mentioned. 

I hope you are right. 

5 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Thankfully we didn't, because we wouldn't have Wilson if that was the case. From what I have seen, he looks pretty good.

Thats true but really a different conversation.  What I'm saying is we should have won 4-5 last year, I think we're better set up this season with Zach, the roster changes and CS.  

And now because we lost Lawson we're a 4 win team?  Maybe?

Theres too many overreacting 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Chandler Jones wants out of Arizona.  Jets have a ton of cap space, lots of picks and just lost Lawson.

What would you do?

The disappointed fan in me says yes. Like everyone else I was looking forward to that D line/ pass rush with an up and coming edge like Mr. Carl Lawson. Hopefully a complete and total recovery for him. 

But, it’s really hard to give up draft capital and even harder to think Joe Douglas  is going to do it based on his approach so far. Not sure how much Jones has in the tank but he certainly has been good for a really long time and likely pass his peak. JD seems to want players transitioning in the other direction. It’s said to much but Jones will go to a “ win now team.” 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yeah, while we all fantasize about playoffs the jets need to see who they’re keeping beyond this season.  And with 2 picks in the first and second rounds next year you know pass rushers will be emphasized in the scouting process.

GM: No more past their prime vets.  No more trading away our future.

HC: You've got good depth in the trenches.  So, same plan as at DB, let's see which youngsters step up.  I trust you in this area more so than any other HC in memory.

Fans: Chill and enjoy the ride.             

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats true but really a different conversation.  What I'm saying is we should have won 4-5 last year, I think we're better set up this season with Zach, the roster changes and CS.  

And now because we lost Lawson we're a 4 win team?  Maybe?

Theres too many overreacting 

I was never of the belief that this was a 8-9 win team. There are too many rookies and 2nd year players in prominent roles. They will make God awful mistakes, where fans will think they suck and question their role on this team.

The rookies will eventually hit a wall around Thanksgiving, because they have never played a season this long. Having played 15 games including pre-season with 5 to go. Lawson is good for a win or two. 

• Upvote 1