Gruden stepping down as Raiders HC

fullblast

Just now, Integrity28 said:

You are, but private companies aren’t bound by first amendment rights.

I never understand the way people conflate our protected rights as citizens with getting fired as consequence saying dumb, hateful sh*t.

He worked for ESPN. 

I never understand the way people conflate our protected rights as citizens with getting fired as consequence saying dumb, hateful sh*t.

Exactly. Like the whole hub bub about taking a knee. You can express yourself any way you want but we don't have to employ you if it's bad for business.

• Upvote 3

What a man said in an email 10 years ago is irrelevant to today. People change, society changes. Are the people that received those emails and didn’t report it to the NFL stepping down too? He has an openly gay DE on his team for ****s sake 

Just now, David Harris said:

What job was he holding when he sent the emails? Who was his employer at that time? And were they sent from his work email address or personal?

It really doesn’t matter.  He stepped down because he realized he lost the team.  No way they were going to keep playing for him.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, David Harris said:

What job was he holding when he sent the emails? Who was his employer at that time? And were they sent from his work email address or personal?

This seemed like a coordinated hit from the league office/maybe certain owners to keep Demaurice as the "players" rep. He was working for ESPN at the time but used an AOL account. It was probably who he sent them to.

Yea, I miss the old days when you could talk sh*t about the executives at work and there were never any consequences…

DeMaurice Smith is an incompetent goof who I guarantee the vast majority of players in the NFL would love to get rid of at the moment.

Hell, Goodell and Smith may legitimately be the worst things to ever happen to the sport.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Pichula said:

What a man said in an email 10 years ago is irrelevant to today. People change, society changes. Are the people that received those emails and didn’t report it to the NFL stepping down too? He has an openly gay DE on his team for ****s sake 

These emails are as recent as 2018 bro.

Gruden messed up plain and simple. Used a non secure email to do all of this too. 

2 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Obviously irrelevant enough to cost him a job.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

DeMaurice Smith is an incompetent goof who I guarantee the vast majority of players in the NFL would love to get rid of at the moment.

Hell, Goodell and Smith may legitimately be the worst things to ever happen to the sport.

The players know Smith is incompetent. Willie Colon was on wfan this morning basically saying everyone thinks he works for Goodell.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Still doesn't excuse what Gruden said about him (“Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin tires,”) even if it was 10 years ago.  If it was just being critical of the job he was doing that would be one thing...

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

While true, this is irrelevant.

Your post inferred this used to be something you could do. That’s never been true.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Obviously. But this was a case of Gruden emailing his inner circle, so theres a reasonable presumption that what you're saying is safe.

The inner circle didnt leak the emails. The investigation into the WFT emails just happened across them, and someone in THAT circle leaked them. 

That's a pretty egregious violation of conduct and ethics by whoever did it. 

AND that's not even mentioning the man wasnt employed by the NFL when he sent it. Imagine getting fired today for something you said in an email at your previous job. 

At a minimum, he failed an intelligence test.  Even if you think it, why do you put this stuff in writing?  

• Upvote 4