• LT1:  Doug Williams
  • RT1:  Chuma Edoga
  • T:  John Mooring
  • T:  Gordie Browne

G's

• LG1:  David Loverne
  • RG1:  Eric Cunningham
  • G:  Jarvis Harrison

C's:  NONE (the one thing this franchise has done well in its history)

DE's/EDGE

• DE/EDGE1:  Vernon Gholston
  • DE/EDGE2:  Ron Faurot
  • DE/EDGE3:  Jachai Polite
  • DE/EDGE4:  Quinton Coples
  • DE/EDGE5:  Dorian Boose

DT's

• DT1:  Dewayne Robertson
  • DT2:  Rick Terry
  • DT3:  Ben Rudolph
  • DT4:  Nathan Shepherd
  • DT5:  Tank Marshall

OLB's

• OLB1:  Darron Lee
  • OLB2:  Lorenzo Mauldin
  • OLB3:  Michael Taylor
  • OLB4:  Kurt Barber

MLB/ILB's

• MLB/ILB1:  Victor Hobson
  • MLB/ILB2:  Anthony Schlegel
  • MLB/ILB3:  Joe Mott

CB's

• CB1:  Kyle Wilson
  • CB2:  Dee Milliner
  • CB3:  Derrick Strait
  • CB4:  Justin Miller
  • CB5:  Dexter McDougle (@The Crusher  ?)

S's*

• FS1:  Scott Frost
  • SS1:  Calvin Pryor
  • S:  Kevin Williams

K's

• K1:  Mike Nugent

P's:  NONE

KR'/PR's

• KR1/PR1:  Jo-Jo Townsell
  • PR2:  Dedric Ward

* NOTE:  If we were talking about worst draft picks, Jamal Adams would make this team.  But since this thread is about BUSTS, then Adams does not qualify

This list is redic. 

Chuma Edoga was a third round pick. so was Anthony Schlegel and Ward. I think all the WR's were second rounders. 

I never considered anyone not picked in the first round to be a bust, it was just a pick that didn't work out. 

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As JN's unofficial "Curator of suck", this is a task for me:

QB's

• QB1:  Christian Hackenberg
  • QB2:  Sam Darnold
  • QB3:  Browning Nagle

RB's

• RB1:  Roger Vick
  • RB2:  Blair Thomas
  • RB3:  Anthony Davis

WR's

• WR1:  Lam Jones
  • WR2:  Stephen Hill
  • WR3:  Alex Van Dyke
  • WR4:  Reggie Rembert
  • WR5:  Ryan Yarborough
  • WR6:  Devin Smith

TE's

• TE1:  Kyle Brady
  • TE2:  Johnny Mitchell
  • TE3:  Jace Amaro
  • TE4:  Anthony Becht

OT's

G's

DE's/EDGE

DT's

OLB's

MLB/ILB's

CB's

S's*

K's

KR'/PR's

* NOTE:  If we were talking about worst draft picks, Jamal Adams would make this team.  But since this thread is about BUSTS, then Adams does not qualify

Ooooh, Van Dyke over Brackens, I remember that one 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Zach-Wilson-New-York-dealt-massive-blow-

Zach Wilson has to be the biggest bust QB of all time and Mekhi Becton the biggest bust LT of all time because of how many years of suffering, sucking, and trading we had to do to get them.

SAR I

Is this a poster hanging in your bathroom?

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As JN's unofficial "Curator of suck", this is a task for me:

QB's

• QB1:  Christian Hackenberg
  • QB2:  Sam Darnold
  • QB3:  Browning Nagle

RB's

• RB1:  Roger Vick
  • RB2:  Blair Thomas
  • RB3:  Anthony Davis

WR's

• WR1:  Lam Jones
  • WR2:  Stephen Hill
  • WR3:  Alex Van Dyke
  • WR4:  Reggie Rembert
  • WR5:  Ryan Yarborough
  • WR6:  Devin Smith

TE's

OT's

G's

• LG2:  Mike Haight

DE's/EDGE

DT's

OLB's

MLB/ILB's

CB's

S's*

K's

KR'/PR's

Guys on this list who were not "busts" ---

Nathan Shepherd
Victor Hobson
Dedric Ward
Scott Frost

A few others are being unfairly singled out even though they weren't drafted that high.  Just saying!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, that's the point.  It's not Nugent's fault he was taken that high but he's still a bust.  Just like it wasn't Dewayne Robertson or Vernon Gholston's fault they were taken that high but they're busts as well. 

Just because a guy has a decent career doesn't mean he can't be a bust.  When you take a K that high, fair or not, you expect him to be elite for the team that drafted him.  Like Janikowski was for many years for the Raiders after being taken in the 1st round.

We've never taken a Kicker nearly as high in the draft (the only other drafted K in Jets history was Stu Crum - Rd 12 in 1983), so Nugent has to qualify as the biggest draft bust at K in Jets' history.

i had to look stu up.  the jets (titans) did draft fred cox who went on to be a pretty good kicker for the vikings from 1963 to 1977.  i get the point about nugent being the only one but still, i wouldn't consider him a bust. 

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

fred cox? stu crum?  i had to look them up.  the jets have only drafted 3 kickers.  actually fred cox might've been the biggest bust.  drafted by the titans he played for the vikings to 1977.

And 8th and 12th rounder respectively?

I'm going to have to stick with Nugent who we drafted for a 2nd, played with Jets only 4 years, and never was named to a pro bowl. All of this despite being the 7th highest drafted kicker in NFL history. He is at best a footnote in history never uttered or mentioned fondly by any fan for any team he played for.

Massive bust of a 2nd rounder that was a knee jerk reaction to Doug Brien's playoff meltdown.

• Upvote 2

Reggie Rembert WR West Virginia:1990

was a very high 2nd round pick (think we took Blair Thomas in the first No 2 overall so was a calamitous draft that one) Rembert was 6-5 and hugely productive with Major Harris on a National Championship contender….he should’ve been great but he never even suited up for us, he was traded to Cincinnati for a bang average, back-up level ILb called Joe ….something  (I can’t even remember he was so rubbish) and I don’t even think Joe ‘Something” lasted more than a couple of games for us…Rembert dud nothing at Cincinnati, did he ever even suit up for the Bengals?

at least guys like Lam Jones actually played

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Guys on this list who were not "busts" ---

Nathan Shepherd
Victor Hobson
Dedric Ward
Scott Frost

A few others are being unfairly singled out even though they weren't drafted that high.  Just saying!

Ward sucked as a returner.  As a receiver he was OK.  Much like Justin Miller makes my team as a CB but not as a returner, because he was actually decent in that area.  Friggin ridiculous that we took a Kicker and what ended up being a Kick Returner in Rd 2 of the same draft class though.

Why are the other 3 not busts?  They were 3rd round picks or higher who were terrible.  In Shepherd's case he was the first player picked after Sam Darnold, and he's a rotational DT at best.  

Who are you putting over them?

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ward sucked as a returner.  As a receiver he was OK.  Much like Justin Miller makes my team as a CB but not as a returner, because he was actually decent in that area.  Friggin ridiculous that we took a Kicker and what ended up being a Kick Returner in Rd 2 of the same draft class though.

Why are the other 3 not busts?  They were 3rd round picks or higher who were terrible.  Who are you putting over them?

Ehh I dunno.  Maybe I just think the word "bust" is too harsh after you get out of the first round (or maybe even the top 20).  If you go back and look at historical third rounds, what do you really expect to find there?  What are the expectations for these guys?  Victor Hobson gave the Jets like 4 or 5 decent years and made a lot of tackles.  Nothing to sneeze at IMO.  I guess Anthony Schelegel is a different conversation...

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

TE's

Wow, that's some stellar group.  Combined they have half a clubfoot for hands.

that being said, I'd trade my left-ball for this TE group on this season's team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

eEhh I dunno.  Maybe I just think the word "bust" is too harsh after you get out of the first round (or maybe even the top 20).  If you go back and look at historical third rounds, what do you really expect to find there?  What are the expectations for these guys?  Victor Hobson gave the Jets like 4 or 5 decent years and made a lot of tackles.  Nothing to sneeze at IMO.  I guess Anthony Schelegel is a different conversation...

I expect to find capable starters from time to time.  Especially if those guys are at non-premium positions.  It should be fairly easy to find decent starters at LB or DT (non pass-rushers) in the 2nd/3rd rounds.  If you're gonna draft a bust in Rd 2/3, it's far more acceptable to do so while trying to find QB's, OL, EDGE guys and WR's.  Except in Hackenberg's case, of course, as he was a 5th round prospect at best that we took in Rd 2.

It's a real low bar when we think 2nd/3rd rounders are only busts if they barely see the field.  Has a lot to do with our draft history overall in those rounds.  There's a level above that that's still a bust.

• Upvote 1

@Jetsfan80's list is pretty sobering although I hypothesize that any team around since the 60's or before will have an equally hideous all-time bust list. The problem is we have not often bunched together enough hits to create a core that opens a window to go for it. And of course, not hitting on a bona fide long-term solution at QB in decades sure hasn't helped.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

that being said, I'd trade my left-ball for this TE group on this season's team.

You're not wrong.   And if Mitchell, through hypnosis or psychiatric medication(s), could just play within himself, he might be as good as Kelce, Kittle or Ertz.  Guy had all the friggin' talent in the world.  A prototypical TE in this era playing back in the early 90s.  So disappointing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Zach-Wilson-New-York-dealt-massive-blow-

Zach Wilson has to be the biggest bust QB of all time and Mekhi Becton the biggest bust LT of all time because of how many years of suffering, sucking, and trading we had to do to get them.

SAR I

We had to suck for one year to draft Zach. Same for becton - what are you saying? Lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We had to suck for one year to draft Zach. Same for becton - what are you saying? Lol

At least we didn't have to trade up for Zach. He could be Ryan Leaf part II and not be as big a bust as Darnold.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Reggie Rembert WR West Virginia:1990

was a very high 2nd round pick (think we took Blair Thomas in the first No 2 overall so was a calamitous draft that one) Rembert was 6-5 and hugely productive with Major Harris on a National Championship contender….he should’ve been great but he never even suited up for us, he was traded to Cincinnati for a bang average, back-up level ILb called Joe ….something  (I can’t even remember he was so rubbish) and I don’t even think Joe ‘Something” lasted more than a couple of games for us…Rembert dud nothing at Cincinnati, did he ever even suit up for the Bengals?

at least guys like Lam Jones actually played

The worse thing about Rembert wasn't his play or his holdout.  It was that his sh*t forced the Jets to snag Rob Moore in the supplemental draft.  That in turn probably cost them Favre.  They had Wolf back then and found some real gems, like Terrance Mathis, Jeff Blake and Tony Martin.   Joe Kelly wasn't bad.  He was a starter and they were very much in need of LBs that year.  I think he was a top 10 overall.  

• Upvote 2