Mike White "I should have been a first overall pick".

Warfish

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

-----------------------------------------------

I like the kid.  I like his confidence. I'm rooting hard for him.

But wow, that's one hell of a comment, probably one I think I'd rather he didn't make publicly, lol.

I think you're taking it a bit too literally. 

I view it the same way as the 12th best WR in the NFL declaring nobody is better than he is. These guys are all competitors with confidence in their abilities. They project that publicly. I doubt whoever went first overall that year is viewing this as bulletin board material.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Hope this kid balls out on Buffalo. I would love nothing more than a real QB controvesy where we had to try and figure out which qb is better between two good qb's

If he balls out again, this time in Buffalo, is there a QB controversy?

btw who’s the other good QB? Johnson is buried on the depth chart, Flacco is old, and Wilson is a Darnoldian 32 in the QB rankings.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

btw who’s the other good QB? Johnson is buried on the depth chart, Flacco is old, and Wilson is a Darnoldian 32 in the QB rankings.

If White has a bad game against Bills, I'd give him one more to help identify which performance was the outlier.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Third overall.

-Allen

-Lamar Jackson

-Mike White

In a 2018 re-draft, Jets still get their man.

It's kind of amazing to me how Lamar can go from MVP to Darnold-level performance and back in the span of a single week, back and forth, over and over.

Just now, nycdan said:

It's kind of amazing to me how Lamar can go from MVP to Darnold-level performance and back in the span of a single week, back and forth, over and over.

It is true that on his worst days Lamar does resemble Darnold on his best.

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think there's any connection to Wilson being the 2nd overall pick (vs White saying he should've been 1st overall pick, which is higher). 

It's also likely one of those things where tone matters, but doesn't come through when reading it on screen. 

The overwhelming likelihood is he's just expressing confidence in himself and his own abilities; nothing more. 

Oh let me have my fun here.   Mike BlancoCinco is being petty and wants to be seen as "1 better than Zach".

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

If White has a bad game against Bills, I'd give him one more to help identify which performance was the outlier.

His biggest supporters here were terrified at the thought of Wilson having to face the Buffalo defense this week. After they saw the Miami defense play last night, trust me. None of them will be clamoring for Wilson to play against them either.

If what we’re hearing from the locker room and CS is true, White will definitely get the next two starts, probably more.

• Upvote 1

That's a hell of a statement for somebody who has had a really small number of ok to good performances. QBs have to have a lot of confidence in themselves but it wasn't a comment he needed to make even if he feels that way. 

Obviously he expects a payday on his next contract and not as a backup. He probably has a Garrapollo trajectory here if he plays well every game he keeps the starting job. If he does perform well JD is going to have some interesting decisions to make after the season. 

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think it’s the bias some have against a guy who is still perceived as a “running QB”, and a lot of it is just the noise we hear all the time here regarding another team’s QBs, especially the young ones.

Allen, stunk, Mac Jones has no arm, Fields is lost, Trevor is overrated, Mayfield is a midget, and now? Jackson is bad.?

On the other hand, Darnold was “only 21 gotta give him weaponzz” and now Wilson is a gunslinger who just needs to sit a year and learn the offense they just installed to make Mike White look better..

Just now, Green Ghost said:

We'll see what happens against Buffalo.

Pretty funny, as recently as a month ago you'd be hard-pressed to find two Jets fans who felt he was good enough to be the QB2, and both would've purely felt that way because White was super cheap plus he didn't cost any additional draft picks. 

• Upvote 3

Mike White was not good in the Pats game

Mike White was very good in the Bengals game, dumping the ball off to checkdowns and getting a lot of YAC. Good for him. Took what the D was giving him.   

1 punt and 1 TD in two drives the third game.  

I was as excited as the next guy for White’s Bengals performance, but the expectations y’all are putting on this fourth year, mostly practice squad, player is completely out of control.  

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We'll see what happens against Buffalo.

Pretty funny, as recently as a month ago you'd be hard-pressed to find two Jets fans who felt he was good enough to be the QB2, and both would've purely felt that way because White was super cheap plus he didn't cost any additional draft picks. 

I’ll be honest with you, a month ago I couldn’t have picked Mike White out of a lineup. I still had him confused with Luke Falk (or whatever his name was, lol).

Once he got on the field though, it was like a breath of fresh air. All of a sudden, we had an offense. Now in a few weeks, if Wilson gets in and the offense looks even better? Great.

I don’t have a horse in this race, I just want to see the best guy play and my team win. Right now, it looks like White is that guy, but we’ll see….

EDIT just saw your post two above this one. Looks like we’re on the exact same page. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Mike White was very good in the Bengals game, dumping the ball off to checkdowns and getting a lot of YAC. Good for him. Took what the D was giving him.   

I was as excited as the next guy for White’s Bengals performance, but the expectations y’all are putting on this fourth year, mostly practice squad, player is completely out of control.  

Why do I get the sense you care more about who wins this job then you should?

Its about what’s best for the team, not any particular player.

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

I mean, in his draft, Sam Darnold was taken at #3 overall, so there's an argument to be made he shouldn't have made it past 3.

Mike White career high for yardage in a game:  405

Darnold career high for yardage in a game:  341

Mike White 3+ TD games:  1 in 2 starts

Darnold 3+ TD games:  3 in 47 starts

This checks out.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

What else is new?  If he fails, oh well, that's what the Jets do.  But if he succeeds?  Holy sh*t will that be a story.  

I'm crossing every part of my anatomy including my nuts in hope that White succeeds.  Don't worry, though.  I'm taking time to de-tangle them to avoid testicular torsion.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Love this dude, love this story. Hope he balls out.  Don’t give a **** how it happens or who it is, just give me a freakin QB already.  If this big balled long dick swinging bad ass is the answer, so be it. 

Can he make plays off-platform though?  Is he being compared to Pat Mahomes?

12 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Why do I get the sense you care more about who wins this job then you should?

Its about what’s best for the team, not any particular player.

Not at all. Would love for White to be the real deal. But the expectation s that he is is insane to me.  

Pats game: NE game: 62% comp. - 202 yards - 1 TD, 2 INT - 64.8 Rating

It’s just I watch enough NFL to not expect a 4 the year practice squad QB to become a real FQB based on one very good check down performance.   

Honestly. Take emotion out of it and look at it from a real active perspective. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

You're just the worst.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

As White prepares to start again on Sunday for the Jets against the Bills, he says he doesn’t know why NFL teams didn’t believe in him as a starting quarterback, but he always believed in himself.

"I couldn’t tell you. That’s definitely the scouting departments across the league and what their interpretation of me is. I have 100% confidence in myself. So if you ask me, I should have been a first overall pick. But that’s neither here nor there. That’s four years ago. I try to get my mind off that and be in the here and now and execute what my job is right now," he said Thursday, via Pro Football Talk.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/12/mike-white-if-you-ask-me-i-should-have-been-a-first-overall-pick/

-----------------------------------------------

I like the kid.  I like his confidence. I'm rooting hard for him.

But wow, that's one hell of a comment, probably one I think I'd rather he didn't make publicly, lol.

But hey, he comes out and burns Buffalos for another 400 yards 3 TD's and a win, maybe I'll be the one eating crow on my cynicism here, lol.

better that than a guy who is embarrassed he was picked so high.  what good qb isn't full of himself?  brady? rodgers? carr? vinnie? jackson? watson? wilson? namath? favre?  it comes with the territory.  remember when flacco said he was elite?

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're just the worst.

What makes you say that?

I should have unbridled enthusiasm?

The reality of the situation is far different than fans on this board are making it out to be.

I'm just trying to look at this from a non-biased perspective.

Let's hope he can do more than check-down.  Maybe he can be successful throwing the ball downfield, I sure hope so - but we have nothing to believe he can - nothing to believe he can't either...

But it is a necessary part of being an NFL QB - and the level of enthusiasm for him - based on one good and one bad performance is, IMO, an overreaction.

Honestly, would love it if he was the guy we're all hoping he can be - but the actual likelihood of that, while certainly being possible, is still quite small.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Other than regret over the waste of a 2nd overall pick, does any Jets fan honestly care how/where we find a 26-27 yr old FQB? 

If White proves worthy of being the Jets' starter for the next decade, and the Wilson pick is wasted, so be it. I'm satisfied with any under-contract Jets QB proving himself to be a worthy FQB. Once it was clear Darnold wasn't that guy, I'm not nearly spoiled enough to complain about the inefficient path to get there. 

If it's White and not Wilson? Hey, however it happens.

We should be so lucky that White continues to impress. 

If Mike White balls out - and the team decides he's the future of the franchise and ZW doesn't play another down - you will almost certainly get a 1st for him...