What is the most embarrassing moment in Jets' history?

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Btw, in addition to the most "Jetsy moment", is there a "most Jetsy player" in franchise history?

Hackenberg?  Blair Thomas?  DeWayne Robertson?  Kyle Wilson?

I’d say Browning Nagle for the simple fact that we were all but certain to draft Favre only to have the rug pulled out from under us the last second.

Nagle was our backup plan…he lit it up in Week 1 giving us hope…only to Hackenberg the rest of his short career.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I’d say Browning Nagle for the simple fact that we were all but certain to draft Favre only to have the rug pulled out from under us the last second.

Nagle was our backup plan…he lit it up in Week 1 giving us hope…only to Hackenberg the rest of his short career.

That's a good call.  Hackenberg didn't even play a single snap, which both adds to and detracts from his case.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Btw, in addition to the most "Jetsy moment", is there a "most Jetsy player" in franchise history?

It's tempting to pick a terrible player/bust.  But to me that doesn't really represent the bulk of my Jet fanhood.  The Jets of the late 90s and 2000s, during my formative years, gave me hope only to constantly give me a swift kick in the balls just when it seemed like perhaps a Super Bowl appearance/win was in sight.

Thus, the Jetsiest player in Jets history, at least for me, is Chad Pennington.  Just barely good enough to give people a glimmer of hope and garner a big contract.  Never good enough to actually win anything of significance, and he saved some of his worst performances for playoff games.  QB purgatory. 

And to this day there are still people on JN who think he was good enough to win a championship or that the only thing keeping him from greatness was an injury.  That makes it even worse, because "Penningtologists" kind of keep his name going on JN seemingly to just annoy/trigger those of us who knew he was never going to cut it.  It's easy to to not to have to talk much about the likes of Kyle Wilson anymore, because everyone acknowledges guys like him suck.  So to me, that's not really "Jetsy".  But because so many Jets fans still think he was good, that makes Pennington "peak Jetsy".

@Bleedin Green @CTM

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The reason I'd say butt fumble was far worse was that, at the time, remember Belichick had no reputation as a HC asset. At that season-ending game beforehand the whole stadium was in unison chanting "one more year" because of the perceived downgrade about to follow. Then we got all those draft picks for him. No one possibly imagined there'd be a two-decade dynasty in NE with Belichick as HC there, from that 2000 season up to when Lewis took out their $100MM QB.

In the moment the buttfumble embarrassment felt far worse.

• the Belichick resignation history and bad blood, through the super bowls we'd watched them reach and win, through the Mangini hiring and Spygate, to what's still our most recent playoff win over them in their house;
  • it wasn't merely national TV -- it was Thanksgiving so even non-football fans in the house watch for a while like they do for the Super Bowl; and it was early enough in the game before most womenfolk had lost interest and migrated back to the kitchen;
  • Season situation: we were fading but not eliminated yet at 4-6. We were still competitive: only barely lost the prior NE matchup in OT because Sanchez again coughed it up on a sack to end/lose that game, plus after Thanksgiving the schedule was ultra-easy. If we win this one then a table-run to 10-6 and the playoffs isn't even that far-fetched.
  • Game situation: it was only 7-0 and the Jets had already driven into FG range when we went for it in 4th and fumbled, followed by NE scoring a long TD on a dumpoff to Vereen on the very next play -- so after those two straight snaps the embarrassment meter was already rising;
  • then the buttfumble, and it isn't merely recovered but is run back for a TD; 
  • Like a minute after what could've easily been a 7-3 or tie score, it was instead 28-0 like an 80s-90s football movie comedy, except less realistic, and we ended up losing by 30.
  • then ESPN/etc. didn't stop talking about it and showing it later that night, and all pregame for the other teams on Sunday morning.

Much more embarrassing dagger at the time, even though compared to the napkin it was a relative blip in terms of NE vs NYJ franchises' fates.

The fake spike felt like that mostly because of the rivalry. Instant facepalm against the team we all despised without equal. But for that TD, we're 7-5 and tied with them for first place. Instead we finish 6-10 and fire Carroll to replace him with Kotite.

So like the napkin resignation, the fake spike was a more consequential embarrassment long-term than the buttfumble, too.

But in the moment? I don't see how anything tops the buttfumble in terms of embarrassment at being a Jets fan. 

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Just in case anyone needs Cliff's Notes for Sperm's post, his response is "the Buttfumble".  :)

You would think the mere fact a QB ran into his Guard's a$$ and lost the ball for a Fumble-6 would require no further argument or convincing as the most embarrassing moment.  For all other franchises this would be the clear winner.  But this is the Jets we're talking about, so @Sperm Edwards' detailed, verbose and cogent argument was necessary here.

/EndThread

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's tempting to pick a terrible player/bust.  But to me that doesn't really represent the bulk of my Jet fanhood.  The Jets of the late 90s and 2000s, during my formative years, gave me hope only to constantly give me a swift kick in the balls just when it seemed like perhaps a Super Bowl appearance/win was in sight.

Thus, the Jetsiest player in Jets history, at least for me, is Chad Pennington.  Just barely good enough to give people a glimmer of hope and garner a big contract.  Never good enough to actually win anything of significance, and he saved some of his worst performances for playoff games.  QB purgatory. 

And to this day there are still people on JN who think he was good enough to win a championship or that the only thing keeping him from greatness was an injury.  That makes it even worse, because "Penningtologists" kind of keep his name going on JN seemingly to just annoy/trigger those of us who knew he was never going to cut it.  It's easy to to not to have to talk much about the likes of Kyle Wilson anymore, because everyone acknowledges guys like him suck.  So to me, that's not really "Jetsy".  But because so many Jets fans still think he was good, that makes Pennington "peak Jetsy".

@Bleedin Green @CTM

Fantastic call!  I think I agree.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fantastic call!  I think I agree.

For the slightly older crowd Mark Gastineau might be a decent selection too.  Talented guy, was perhaps the best at what he did during his prime, but committed arguably the most back-breaking penalty in a playoff game in franchise history to prevent us from reaching the SB.  

But I guess he was too elite of a talent at a premium position to qualify there.  Maybe someone else from the 80s would be a better call.  Ken O'Brien I suppose.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

For the slightly older crowd Mark Gastineau might be a decent selection too.  Talented guy, put up some excellent pass-rushing numbers, but committed arguably the most back-breaking penalty in a playoff game in franchise history to prevent us from reaching the SB.  

Carl Howard just as guilty

Gastineau And Carl Howard Roughing The Passer.gif

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Carl Howard just as guilty

Gastineau And Carl Howard Roughing The Passer.gif

And we're allowed to be mad at both of them.  Point is it was a hugely disappointing moment in Jets' history and Gastineau, a superstar at the time, was one of the guys responsible.  And that's how he's remembered, instead of being remembered for helping get us to a Super Bowl or winning one.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And we're allowed to be mad at both of them.  Point is it was a hugely disappointing moment in Jets' history and Gastineau, a superstar at the time, was one of the guys responsible.  And that's how he's remembered, instead of being remembered for helping get us to a Super Bowl or winning one.

Nope, you have to pick a side.  

• Haha 3

On 11/20/2021 at 10:13 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Kotite wasn't that bad for the Eagles.  10-6, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9.

And, besides, he was a "'dese-and-dose guy"

image.png.c9fb7cad245592e3b7ad09dd4a8dcb35.png

Regardless of his moderate success with the Eagles, he is easily their most ridiculed figure.  My cousin still laughs about his 'clipboard smudged in the rain' excuse for calling bad plays.  Throw in that they hired future coach of the year Ray Rhodes and went to the playoffs in 95.  Just a rough couple of years for a Jets fan in mostly Eagles area.

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Hopefully this 2021 class is the start of that changing 

Yep.  The main reason I haven't given up on Douglas yet is that the process behind a lot of his draft picks at least seems to make sense.  We finally have a GM that prioritizes offense, premium positions and athleticism in the draft; all things that other successful teams tend to do.  

• Upvote 2

On 11/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Good question but I can offer that Rex Ryan is def the most Jetsy HC in the past and future of this team. Dude fits this franchise and fan base like a glass slipper.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Johnson calling Gase a “brilliant offensive mind.”

“He has a lot more in him as a head coach than some of our fans are giving him credit for,” Johnson said. “And I understand. They want to see success. And I think that they will.”

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...