What is the most embarrassing moment in Jets' history?

Other than the Buttfumble quarter, the only other time I was viscerally embarrassed to be a Jets fan was this season’s Colts game. Watching the Colts backs go for nine yards per carry was just straight humiliating. Zero effort from the defense, no fight. Just a gutless performance where the announcers were speaking of the Jets with pity in the first quarter. 

• Upvote 1

I would say it just happened this week when Saleh fired back at Rex saying He knows where to find me. I can't  think of a single other HC who would have said something like that. Think about it. During the NBA playoffs, Clint Capela totally trashed the Knicks before the game where the Knicks were facing elimination. The press asked Julius Randle what he though of Capela's remarks. Without hesitation  Randle said, "Why the Hell would I care about anything Clint Capela has to say". That is exactly what Saleh should have said about Rex's.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I've always thought the fake spike was just massively overblown as a play.  I was not a fan of the team at the time it happened but seeing the constant replays it was nothing, the DB covering the guy who scored was essentially in normal coverage and got beat, the pass was a two step quick pass, there was a couple but not all of the jets dline standing there.

Just a massively overrated play in the annuls of the NFL and jets history.

As for the answer to the question?  Butt fumble of course.  It had everything, horrible bizarre play, national tv, jets getting hammered, play results in the other team scoring.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

Rich Kotite getting hired was probably the worst for me.  I live in Eagles territory and it was a brutal experience.  Never beating the Eagles isn't a moment, but it's embarrassing.

Hess fired a future hall of fame football coach who went on to win national championships and a Super Bowl because he "wants results now." 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Butt fumble?

Fake Spike?

Roughing the passer penalty in Cleveland?

I'm sure I'm leaving out some

Peter Gibbons:
So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working rooting for the Jets, every single day of my life as a Jets fan has been worse than the day before it.

So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life being a Jets Fan.

Dr. Swanson:
What about today? Is today the worst day of your life being a Jets Fan?

Peter Gibbons:
Yeah.

Dr. Swanson:
Wow, that's messed up.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Butt Fumble will always and forever top the list.  No play in Jets' history is so readily remembered by non-Jets fans.  It's brought up annually as a new Thanksgiving tradition for NFL fans everywhere.  It was the perfect storm of suck.  Collapsing Jets team, facing the Pats, on a Holiday when tons of people were watching....I mean it doesn't get worse than that.  Hell, a friend of mine (Pats fan) just texted me about it earlier today, before I even looked at this thread.

Now, I'll fully agree that the last decade of Jets football has been far worse, collectively, than the Butt Fumble on its own.  But if we're talking only a single moment, its the Butt Fumble and its not close.

I've always thought the Butt fumble was so overrated and meaningless...the team sucked and we were already getting blown out the season was already over....plus I wasn't even paying attention I was drunk having a good time on Thanksgiving doing other things.  Maybe it was a bigger game to other people then it was to me at the time.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've always thought the fake spike was just massively overblown as a play.  I was not a fan of the team at the time it happened but seeing the constant replays it was nothing, the DB covering the guy who scored was essentially in normal coverage and got beat, the pass was a two step quick pass, there was a couple but not all of the jets dline standing there.

Just a massively overrated play in the annuls of the NFL and jets history.

As for the answer to the question?  Butt fumble of course.  It had everything, horrible bizarre play, national tv, jets getting hammered, play results in the other team scoring.

You’ve got it backwards.  The butt fumble was embarrassing but also a meaningless play within a brutal quarter of football.

the fake spike won the game at the end of the 4th quarter- a game between two teams battling for first place and in a game  which the Jets led 24-7 in the 3rd quarter.

the best part? The Jets dropped the remaining five games of the 94 season to finish 6-10, and Leon Hess fired Pete Carroll after one season to bring in Kotite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Drafting Nugent in the 2nd round has to at least be an honorable mention.

"So we're definitely blaming that playoff loss on Doug Brien rather than Chad Pennington's 65.5 QB Rating in that game or Herm's chicken sh*t coaching, right?  All on the same page?  Great.  Let's trade down for Doug Jolley and take a kicker with our first pick."

F**k you, Bradway, Herm and Pennington.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"So we're definitely blaming that playoff loss on Doug Brien rather than Chad Pennington's 65.5 QB Rating in that game or Herm's chicken sh*t coaching, right?  All on the same page?  Great.  Let's trade down for Doug Jolley and take a kicker with our first pick."

F**k you, Bradway, Herm and Pennington.

I was permanently scarred by that draft pick. I can still vividly remember going ballistic at the bar while my friends laughed. dumbest team in football. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was permanently scarred by that draft pick. I can still vividly remember going ballistic at the bar while my friends laughed. dumbest team in football. 

I was way more pissed off when they passed on Sapp for Kyle Brady.

Everyone was chanting "We want Sapp", and they passed on a HOF defensive tackle for a blocking tight end.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

And Nugent wasn't even f**king good.  Allowed to walk at the end of his rookie deal.  If you take a Kicker with your first pick in a draft he'd better be f**king Adam Vinatieri.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, chirorob said:

I was way more pissed off when they passed on Sapp for Kyle Brady.

Everyone was chanting "We want Sapp", and they passed on a HOF defensive tackle for a blocking tight end.

It's amazing that Jets fans still get excited for the draft with how many horrible memories we have of draft days past.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Butt Fumble will always and forever top the list.  No play in Jets' history is so readily remembered by non-Jets fans.  It's brought up annually as a new Thanksgiving tradition for NFL fans everywhere.  It was the perfect storm of suck.  Collapsing Jets team, facing the Pats, on a Holiday when tons of people were watching....I mean it doesn't get worse than that.  Hell, a friend of mine (Pats fan) just texted me about it earlier today, before I even looked at this thread.

Now, I'll fully agree that the last decade of Jets football has been far worse, collectively, than the Butt Fumble on its own.  But if we're talking only a single moment, its the Butt Fumble and its not close.

It tops my list because I was at a T-Day dinner as a guest with a LR full of Cheats fans (20+ people?). Even they were incredulous. I left the room a couple of minutes later for a left handed cigarette and a drink in another room, and I did not go back into the LR until the game was over. 

• Upvote 2