What is the most embarrassing moment in Jets' history?

Another under-the-radar moment was back in 1993 when the Houston Oilers coaches (Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride) were fighting with each other while still blowing us out.  Their backup QB started (Cody Carlson) I think because it was a meaningless game for them.  And IIRC, that game had playoff implications for us.  We lost 24-0.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Haven't read the entire thread, but I'm nominating the Suzie Kolber-Joe Namath disaster. The greatest figure in our sordid history disgracing himself on national TV takes the cake.

Amazingly, I don't think it was mentioned.  Great call!  I did recently mention Revis winning a SB with the Pats but your point is better.  Namath is the face of our franchise.

22 hours ago, Kolchak said:

Rich Kotite getting hired was probably the worst for me.  I live in Eagles territory and it was a brutal experience.  Never beating the Eagles isn't a moment, but it's embarrassing.

Kotite wasn't that bad for the Eagles.  10-6, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9.

And, besides, he was a "'dese-and-dose guy"

image.png.c9fb7cad245592e3b7ad09dd4a8dcb35.png

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I would say it just happened this week when Saleh fired back at Rex saying He knows where to find me. I can't  think of a single other HC who would have said something like that. Think about it. During the NBA playoffs, Clint Capela totally trashed the Knicks before the game where the Knicks were facing elimination. The press asked Julius Randle what he though of Capela's remarks. Without hesitation  Randle said, "Why the Hell would I care about anything Clint Capela has to say". That is exactly what Saleh should have said about Rex's.

Saleh can't win football games and figured that he may have a better chance to beat an older, obviously out of shape guy in a fight. What a big man the Jets hired as a HC

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What about the Mud Bowl?  

The Mud Bowl sucked, but I don’t think it’s as embarrassing as my examples. When I wear a Jets hat, I get comments from random people and no one ever mentions the Mud Bowl. They mention the chant, the Buttfumble and the back to back AFCCG losses. 

I put the Mud Bowl up there with Gastineau’s brain fart, Barton’s folly, and the Heidi game: they’re moments that only mean something to Jet fans. 

2 minutes ago, the Claw said:

The Mud Bowl sucked, but I don’t think it’s as embarrassing as my examples. When I wear a Jets hat, I get comments from random people and no one ever mentions the Mud Bowl. They mention the chant, the Buttfumble and the back to back AFCCG losses. 

I put the Mud Bowl up there with Gastineau’s brain fart, Barton’s folly, and the Heidi game: they’re moments that only mean something to Jet fans. 

Carl Howard must be so happy to have gotten off scot-free on this.

961665677_GastineauAndCarlHowardRoughingThePasser.gif.8b46329dc6e62f0b2c040707207c0dff.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Haven't read the entire thread, but I'm nominating the Suzie Kolber-Joe Namath disaster. The greatest figure in our sordid history disgracing himself on national TV takes the cake.

To defend Joe a little here, there is something irresistible about a woman’s voice that sounds like she has drank more whisky and smoked more cigars than JP Morgan.

• Haha 1

Jets' Sheldon Richardson charged with resisting arrest 12 days after ban

Jul 30, 2015
  • cimini_rich.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson has been charged with resisting arrest after a July 14 incident in which police say he was driving a car engaged in a high-speed road race near his home in St. Louis, the prosecuting attorney said Thursday in a statement.

A fully loaded semi-automatic weapon was found in the car, a 2014 Bentley, police said, and there was "a very strong odor of burned marijuana" emanating from the vehicle, the St. Charles County prosecuting attorney's office said in a statement posted to its website.

Richardson's car was traveling as fast as 143 mph, according to the statement, and police said a 12-year-old was among the passengers in his car.

EDITOR'S PICKS

The incident occurred only 12 days after Richardson received a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

Reports of the arrest didn't surface until late Thursday, less than one hour after Richardson, commenting publicly for the first time on the suspension, vowed to stay clean.

"I'm not a dope fiend, man," he told reporters. "I apologized to my teammates and this organization. I told them they don't have to worry about my name being in the news again."

9 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Jets' Sheldon Richardson charged with resisting arrest 12 days after ban

Jul 30, 2015
  • cimini_rich.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson has been charged with resisting arrest after a July 14 incident in which police say he was driving a car engaged in a high-speed road race near his home in St. Louis, the prosecuting attorney said Thursday in a statement.

A fully loaded semi-automatic weapon was found in the car, a 2014 Bentley, police said, and there was "a very strong odor of burned marijuana" emanating from the vehicle, the St. Charles County prosecuting attorney's office said in a statement posted to its website.

Richardson's car was traveling as fast as 143 mph, according to the statement, and police said a 12-year-old was among the passengers in his car.

EDITOR'S PICKS

The incident occurred only 12 days after Richardson received a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

Reports of the arrest didn't surface until late Thursday, less than one hour after Richardson, commenting publicly for the first time on the suspension, vowed to stay clean.

"I'm not a dope fiend, man," he told reporters. "I apologized to my teammates and this organization. I told them they don't have to worry about my name being in the news again."

Zac Stacy, Sheldon Richardson.  Who's next?  Things happen in three's. 

8 hours ago, section314 said:

Don’t think it was embarrassing as a fan base but it was very sad and embarrassing to Joe and his family. Would like to also say Suzy Kolber handled that with dignity and class that she didn’t drag Joe through the mud in the aftermath of that. Gained so much respect for her after that It also showed Joe he needed some help got the help required he apologized profusely he owned up to his mistake and is a better man for it today. Big Props to both of them ??

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

I forget the year, Herm was the coach. Going up against the Raiders they opened the game with like a 17 play TD drive consisting only of running plays. It was sickening.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Any Chad TD drive required a minimum of 13 plays.

Does anyone else not get embarrassed by the Jets? They aren't a reflection of me. The only embarrassing thing about it is that I allow myself to care about them as much as I do.

That said I think the "correct" answer to the question has to be the Buttfumble, if only because of how it's lauded and beloved by the media and fans of other teams. That stupid thing had to be retired by the SportsCenter not top ten after a year of winning every single week. Might still be winning if they hadn't retired it.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Does anyone else not get embarrassed by the Jets? They aren't a reflection of me. The only embarrassing thing about it is that I allow myself to care about them as much as I do.

That said I think the "correct" answer to the question has to be the Buttfumble, if only because of how it's lauded and beloved by the media and fans of other teams. That stupid thing had to be retired by the SportsCenter not top ten after a year of winning every single week. Might still be winning if they hadn't retired it.

That reminds me of one of the most embarrassing Jet moments ever.  During the height of the lockdown during the MJ documentary ("The Last Dance"), ESPN played this commercial:

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I used to before I detached myself, emotionally, a good bit.  Now I just laugh at the Jets along with everyone else.  When other teams’ fans tell me the team sucks, I just say “Yes, they do’!” And make jokes right along with them.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2021 at 11:51 AM, More Cowbell said:

I would say it just happened this week when Saleh fired back at Rex saying He knows where to find me. I can't  think of a single other HC who would have said something like that. Think about it. During the NBA playoffs, Clint Capela totally trashed the Knicks before the game where the Knicks were facing elimination. The press asked Julius Randle what he though of Capela's remarks. Without hesitation  Randle said, "Why the Hell would I care about anything Clint Capela has to say". That is exactly what Saleh should have said about Rex's.

Robert Saleh is a total fraud....  hes a worse hc that adam gase

6 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I forget the year, Herm was the coach. Going up against the Raiders they opened the game with like a 17 play TD drive consisting only of running plays. It was sickening.

I remember that one.  I think Mirer started that game?

Always remembered that game as a loss but somebody reminded me on here some time ago that they actually went on to win.  Sure didn't feel like it.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I used to before I detached myself, emotionally, a good bit.  Now I just laugh at the Jets along with everyone else.  When other teams’ fans tell me the team sucks, I just say “Yes, they do’!” And make jokes right along with them.

That’s just how I feel these days, we are so bad you can’t take them seriously.

Infact I like to see them lit up a bit more it’s give me some pleasure having Woody Johnson’s fragile ego bruised.

Looking forward to see Joe Flacco’s immobile ass get flattened.

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, Beaver said:

Embarrassing to me is a coin-toss between the "I resign as HC of NYJ" on a napkin and the Butt-fumble.   

The reason I'd say butt fumble was far worse was that, at the time, remember Belichick had no reputation as a HC asset. At that season-ending game beforehand the whole stadium was in unison chanting "one more year" because of the perceived downgrade about to follow. Then we got all those draft picks for him. No one possibly imagined there'd be a two-decade dynasty in NE with Belichick as HC there, from that 2000 season up to when Lewis took out their $100MM QB.

In the moment the buttfumble embarrassment felt far worse.

• the Belichick resignation history and bad blood, through the super bowls we'd watched them reach and win, through the Mangini hiring and Spygate, to what's still our most recent playoff win over them in their house;
  • it wasn't merely national TV -- it was Thanksgiving so even non-football fans in the house watch for a while like they do for the Super Bowl; and it was early enough in the game before most womenfolk had lost interest and migrated back to the kitchen;
  • Season situation: we were fading but not eliminated yet at 4-6. We were still competitive: only barely lost the prior NE matchup in OT because Sanchez again coughed it up on a sack to end/lose that game, plus after Thanksgiving the schedule was ultra-easy. If we win this one then a table-run to 10-6 and the playoffs isn't even that far-fetched.
  • Game situation: it was only 7-0 and the Jets had already driven into FG range when we went for it in 4th and fumbled, followed by NE scoring a long TD on a dumpoff to Vereen on the very next play -- so after those two straight snaps the embarrassment meter was already rising;
  • then the buttfumble, and it isn't merely recovered but is run back for a TD; 
  • Like a minute after what could've easily been a 7-3 or tie score, it was instead 28-0 like an 80s-90s football movie comedy, except less realistic, and we ended up losing by 30.
  • then ESPN/etc. didn't stop talking about it and showing it later that night, and all pregame for the other teams on Sunday morning.

Much more embarrassing dagger at the time, even though compared to the napkin it was a relative blip in terms of NE vs NYJ franchises' fates.

The fake spike felt like that mostly because of the rivalry. Instant facepalm against the team we all despised without equal. But for that TD, we're 7-5 and tied with them for first place. Instead we finish 6-10 and fire Carroll to replace him with Kotite.

So like the napkin resignation, the fake spike was a more consequential embarrassment long-term than the buttfumble, too.

But in the moment? I don't see how anything tops the buttfumble in terms of embarrassment at being a Jets fan. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The reason I'd say butt fumble was far worse was that, at the time, remember Belichick had no reputation as a HC asset. At that season-ending game beforehand the whole stadium was in unison chanting "one more year" because of the perceived downgrade about to follow. Then we got all those draft picks for him. No one possibly imagined there'd be a two-decade dynasty in NE with Belichick as HC there, from that 2000 season up to when Lewis took out their $100MM QB.

In the moment the buttfumble embarrassment felt far worse.

• the Belichick resignation history and bad blood, through the super bowls we'd watched them reach and win, through the Mangini hiring and Spygate, to what's still our most recent playoff win over them in their house;
  • it wasn't merely national TV -- it was Thanksgiving so even non-football fans in the house watch for a while like they do for the Super Bowl; and it was early enough in the game before most womenfolk had lost interest and migrated back to the kitchen;
  • Season situation: we were fading but not eliminated yet at 4-6. We were still competitive: only barely lost the prior NE matchup in OT because Sanchez again coughed it up on a sack to end/lose that game, plus after Thanksgiving the schedule was ultra-easy. If we win this one then a table-run to 10-6 and the playoffs isn't even that far-fetched.
  • Game situation: it was only 7-0 and the Jets had already driven into FG range when we went for it in 4th and fumbled, followed by NE scoring a long TD on a dumpoff to Vereen on the very next play -- so after those two straight snaps the embarrassment meter was already rising;
  • then the buttfumble, and it isn't merely recovered but is run back for a TD; 
  • Like a minute after what could've easily been a 7-3 or tie score, it was instead 28-0 like an 80s-90s football movie comedy, except less realistic, and we ended up losing by 30.
  • then ESPN/etc. didn't stop talking about it and showing it later that night, and all pregame for the other teams on Sunday morning.

Much more embarrassing dagger at the time, even though compared to the napkin it was a relative blip in terms of NE vs NYJ franchises' fates.

The fake spike felt like that mostly because of the rivalry. Instant facepalm against the team we all despised without equal. But for that TD, we're 7-5 and tied with them for first place. Instead we finish 6-10 and fire Carroll to replace him with Kotite.

So like the napkin resignation, the fake spike was a more consequential embarrassment long-term than the buttfumble, too.

But in the moment? I don't see how anything tops the buttfumble in terms of embarrassment at being a Jets fan. 

Just in case anyone needs Cliff's Notes for Sperm's post, his response is "the Buttfumble".  :)

• Haha 3

Just now, Snell41 said:

It was the Raiders on offense. They ran on every play of their opening drive to score a TD. It was like a 17 play drive and we just could not stop it.

Ah okay.  My bad.  Though my point still holds true regardless - lol.